• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel2009

Daniel2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been taking cymbalta for 4 years and just recently stopped taking it.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

I took cymbalta for about 4 years now. I stopped taking it about a month ago and i staggered the last amount over two months.
So for the month of october I have not taken any. For the first few days of not having I felt pretty lousy , not able to focus, felt like i was ina fog. Same thing that happened most of the time when I would not take it for a few days.
The only side effect that has persisted is the brain shivers, usually get them mostly towards the end of the day or when I am trying to go to sleep.

They have persisted for the last month now. I really haven't had any other side effects.
I attribute that to the fact that I am fairly...resilient. I have had so many physical problems because of a degenerative muscle problem I have called SMA Type 3.
So maybe my body is just used to things not being right.

Anyway for the last month of being it I pretty much just have the brain shivers and thats it. Hope they go away int he next couple months.

#2 Cecile

Cecile

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • why_joining:
    I have been on Zoloft for 6mon. and Cymbalta for almost 1 year. I want to get off Cymbalta the Dr. put me on it for my panic attacks wouldn't stop happening, so the Dr. put me on Zoloft I had bad!!! Side effects on Zoloft, so the Dr. switched me to Cymbalta I haven't had any bad panic attacks since I have been on the drug just maybe 2 or 3 since it's going on 1 year already, to make the long story short! I want off of this meds I have noooo feeling or emotion...only usually during my menestrual cycle and that's usually when my panic and anxiety erupts. Anyway, I want off this med's and back to the life that i use to have a fun life not having to worry when to take a pill, or if i'm gong to have a next panic attack. I only hope and pray to God. once off this drug I wont go back to myself when I had bad panic attacks! what do you think?? do you think once off this drug i will have them again?? Anyway, I want my life back basicly....... Cecile

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:29 AM

I don't know about your body, but i have been off Cymb. for 1 1/2 months and i have experienced sooo much pain in my body. I hope and pray this does not happen to you, because it feels sooo horrible. but it sounds like ur doing good other then the shivers you said..I had head aches, nasea, vomitting, mood swings (one min. happy then next sad) and basicly like my world was going to end..but it doesn't so have faith in urself...it didn't get better for me after i got off Cymb. but maybe it will for you...be strong...

Cecile

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Daniel,
Welcome, and you don't know how lucky you really are!!! Most are not like you when
we try to get off this stuff at all. YOU TRULY ARE A RARE BIRD!

Most here have had to do a very, very slow decrease, counting the beads, a real pain
but for us was the only way to get off this stuff without feeling the major withdrawl
symptoms!!

Here is the site if you would like to see them http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Good Luck,
Debbie

#4 Daniel2009

Daniel2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been taking cymbalta for 4 years and just recently stopped taking it.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

I read somewhere related to the cymbalta withdrawls to take vitamin B. Not sure if it has helped me or not but I take some everyday.
Other then the brain shivers which hardly come anymore...I seem pretty well off.
sorry to hear about the symptoms the rest of you all have

#5 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi Daniel,

a thousand congratulations on not suffering as much as many have.

I've been taking vitamin B along with Omega 3 fish oil maximum dose, but neither seemed to make much difference to my symptoms, where were not as severe as some others anyway - I'd only come from 30mg - and my worse experience was the two weeks of taking 30mg every second day.

I've also had some significant health issues - been on lots and lots of drugs, most of which I tolerated well, and am probably healthier now than I was at 35 (I'm 56), so I have to confess I think we don't have an awful lot of control over whether or not we suffer significant symtpoms. I suspect there are others out there we never hear about because they don't suffer much so don't need to come here, but if you look at figures for (eg) googling cymbalta withdrawal compared with any of the other anti-d etc Cymbalta certainly takes the cake. The fog is one we all identify with! To be honest, the fog was a significant factor in me not just stopping at 10mg - I just didn't get any work of any consequence done a few days later.

SMA type 3 - have never heard of that and had to look it up. Presumably it has significant ongoing consequences for you? Is that why you were put on Cymbalta in the first place?

Maureen.

#6 redhead

redhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hi everyone,

Well I finally finished taking Cymbalta last Fri 30th October. Fingers crossed for me but so far
things have been fine-only issue is insomnia-difficult to get to sleep at night, Still taking lots of fishoil, evening primrose oil and Vitamin B Complex. I'm praying to God that things will continue to improve....

I really believe the tapering really really slowly prevents the major withdrawals, I was down to 1mg last week and have been tapering over the last year or more. I started on 120mgs in Sept 2007 and I want to give you guys hope that things will get better...... I feel really proud of myself for doing it and am SO SO grateful for finding this site and giving me withdrawal tips and support. My Doctors told me to quit from 30mgs about 6mths ago but I knew the risk of doing that so tapered slowly instead......

I will keep posting over the next few weeks and let you know how things are going. Keeping the faith and praying tooooo-it really helps to have Faith and positive attitude....

#7 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

redhead,
That just such a great story. I have just been doing what you said about thing positive
lately to myself, as I know it can't stay like this for ever.

You truly are an inspiration!, and I will print you past, and put it where I sit!

Debbie

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi everyone,

Well I finally finished taking Cymbalta last Fri 30th October. Fingers crossed for me but so far
things have been fine-only issue is insomnia-difficult to get to sleep at night, Still taking lots of fishoil, evening primrose oil and Vitamin B Complex. I'm praying to God that things will continue to improve....

I really believe the tapering really really slowly prevents the major withdrawals, I was down to 1mg last week and have been tapering over the last year or more. I started on 120mgs in Sept 2007 and I want to give you guys hope that things will get better...... I feel really proud of myself for doing it and am SO SO grateful for finding this site and giving me withdrawal tips and support. My Doctors told me to quit from 30mgs about 6mths ago but I knew the risk of doing that so tapered slowly instead......

I will keep posting over the next few weeks and let you know how things are going. Keeping the faith and praying tooooo-it really helps to have Faith and positive attitude....

Hey, two redheads (or at least I WAS) going head to head - I took my last one mg on Sunday 1st November. Didn't come from your high dose though.

Soooooooooooo good to hear that someone has benefited from this site, and hasn't had to suffer like so many have.

Three cheers for you!!

Maureen.

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Maureene,
So your now done with doing the withdralws. I am so wanting to follow you progess
so please don't go anywhere, and keep us posted!

I am so excited to hear the good news!

Four cheers for you!!

love,
Debbie

#10 redhead

redhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Nurse Deborah, Maureen V and all

Thanks so much for all your kind replies and good wishes,

Things are still good thank God, and its now Day 4........
Its been a long journey and I suppose I was really afraid after hearing about all the possible side effects of coming off but when I think back now I probably experienced some of these but because I went slowly and waited till I was ready to reduce again-my body adjusted. I believe that the Evening Primrose, Fish oil etc really helped as I did notice some PMS and got really agitated and hormonal during these times.

I want to advise everyone to NOT GO COLD TURKEY and even if it takes a while-DO IT SLOWLY.
2 years ago, I came off Effexor (which never worked for me!) but just came off the lowest pill(cant remember the dose) but never forget the withdrawals, places seemed different, heading felt like a cement block, tired, crying etc but it did get better after about a month so I guess I learned my lesson the hard way....

Maureen, looks like we are both off it around the same time so lets all keep in touch and update on our progress. I actually have my natural hair colour back with the last year its more auburn/chestnut and after years of dying it darker, having highlights-I dont think I'll ever colour it again.....

Debbie,
I know you are withdrawing slowly too-take your time and ul get there too but no hurry ok...

Blessings

Redhead

#11 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

redhead,
Welll now I guess your not anymore. I just wanted to say that I just went through what I
call my PMS, and I have always had reallly bad PMS. It would last for about a week.
Anyway I saw in your post that you said something about that, and going through the
withdrawls too.

Well this time around I had the worst PMS I have had in I can't remember how long, and
just wondered if your were worse at this time too?

I will keep going slow, it seems like I am just watching my life go by me right now, but
I am still a bit jittery from the past 6 days, but better.

Love,
Debbie

#12 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

Maureene,
So your now done with doing the withdralws. I am so wanting to follow you progess
so please don't go anywhere, and keep us posted!

I am so excited to hear the good news!

Four cheers for you!!

love,
Debbie

Thank you very much, Debbie. Dropping the last dose wasn't without its consequences. I can't wait to see my GPs face when I tell her I had some (mild) symptoms from dropping ONE WHOLE MILLIGRAM! It's so stupid you either have to laugh or cry, honestly.

I don't intend to go anywhere. I want to be around to make sure those dropping small amounts are not discouraged by those who've managed to get off larger doses quickly. It would be very easy to be depressed and frustrated at that.

My experience was that as the dose dropped, the withdrawal effects generally were a little milder, but also came about a little bit faster, so that made it easier in the end, to drop after four days or so instead of seven or eight.

It still took three weeks! to drop the last 5mg, though. If it hadn't been for my busy, busy work and blood pressure concerns I would have stopped a bit earlier. I think I've accepted that I need to take a lowish dose of some BP drug, but want to wait a bit longer to see if it settles further, the longer I've been off Cymbalta.

keep up the good fight! Don't look at how far you've got to go, look at how far you've come.

take care, Maureen.

#13 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

Maureene,
Thank you so very much for just alway being here for me, and I am so glad
that you going to stay around, and help all the new ones, and the oldies like
me who are still doing it!

I will stop looking at how far I have to go, and only look at how far I have come!
I have come along way, but just a Cymbalt Withdrawl Attack for 6 days, I am
going to be fine!

hugs,
Debbie

#14 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:20 AM

Maureen

The people at "paxil progress" all talk in terms of dropping 1mg or even 0.5 mg at a time and waiting at least a month before dropping again. So it is NOT stupid at all. In fact, if you think about how the brain is affected and how it takes time for it to adjust to NOT being on drugs, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Good for you!! *raises glass*

Debbie

I'm not going anywhere either. I enjoy coming on here and being able to support others. I have knowledge that can be beneficial for others and I'm more than happy to share it. You also have a lot to give. I love hearing your nursing stories :)
Keep up the good work

Junior

#15 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

junior,
How will you do the weaning of the Paxil? Are you just going to break it into halfs, quarters
ect.?

Let me know, and thanks for not going anywhere, I reallly need you guys right now!

Love,
Debbie

#16 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

Debbie,

I don't know yet. I might not come off it at all. Or, I might take 'holidays' from it. It really makes THAT much difference to my quality of life. But, as I've written elsewhere, I believe there is a liquid form that you can get. I don't know if it's available in Australia .. but... one step at a time.

A couple of months ago I was looking for a quick fix to all of this. I now realise how big an issue it is and I'm prepared to take my time. Now that I'm functioning 'normally' again, that is ;-)

Junior

#17 blackbetty

blackbetty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Have been on Cymbalta for 12 months and have recently weened my self off with disturbing side effects and I want to know if anyone else has had the same ones

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Hi there,

I recently weaned myself off cymbalta after 12 months of taking it. I'm finding the withdrawal symptoms very disturbing. The main one is a kind of "brain clunking" for want of a better description. It feels like my brain is rattling around inside my skull. There is also the irregular/rapid heart beat and dizziness, as well as general body pain, aural and visual disturbances. Has anyone else felt anything like brain clunks?

#18 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi blackbetty,

we tend call them brain zaps, and they're one of the most common withdrawal symptoms of Cymbalta. I noticed that mine were worse in conjunction with tinnitus being worse. The way I'd describe them is like a hiccup inside your brain, accompanied by a temporary tenfold increase in the tinnitus noise.

hang around here, have a look at a lot of the posts and you'll find that everything you're feeling is, unfortunately, quite common.

regards, Maureen.

#19 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hi Blackbetty

Unfortunately many many people have had difficulty getting off Cymbalta. Myself included. What dose were you on and what was your weaning schedule?

Welcome to the forum :)
Junior

#20 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

Blackbetty,
It's Debbie, and I am just checking on you as I know this is really much harder to do for some
than most. I know for myself when I first got here I didn't even know what I was saying, but
just kept coming back eveday, and said stuff, and everyone was so sweet,caring, and supportive.

What I found the most helpful was that I waas having the samething happening to me as some
of the other posts I had read, and boy did I ever read tons of them. I took this all as gospel,
and not for one second did I doubt a word of what I read. I am not like that usually, but being
they were saying thing that only a person who had , had the samething happpen to them
would know what I was talking about , I knew they didn't just make it up, it was impossible!

I was such a mess from this stuff, and I still have hard times, but they pass!!!! I do feel,and
others also are telling me I am changing, making more sense!! That means so much to me
as it's so awful to know what you want to say, and yet not know for surre if you even saying
what you think your saying. Reallly made me think I had gone over the edge, but now I know
it's not mee, and only this drug.

Just know what ever your thinking, feeling, all the horrible things that your going through are
just this nasty drug, and it will get better, it just takes time, and coming here when ever you
need to to just talk, as someone will always be here to answer you.

I do hope your ok, and if you want to learn how to beat the brain zaps, we can show you how.
Keep coming back!!

Debbie

#21 blackbetty

blackbetty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Have been on Cymbalta for 12 months and have recently weened my self off with disturbing side effects and I want to know if anyone else has had the same ones

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks everyone, this is hell. I started on 60mg, then after a suicide attempt they put me on 120mg. I think I was suffering from seretonin od so went down to 90, then 60 then 30 etc. It's been 3 weeks since any at all and as you all know it is horrendous. I seem to have all the symptoms everyone else is having and they seem to be getting worse. I went to a gp yesterday to see if there was anything they could suggest to help me get through this and he said "you might have gotten an ear infection at the same time as you came off the meds" and then he gave me stemetil! All of this talk about 2 mins. I left in tears and feeling worse than before. How long will this last? And if you've got any ways to manage the brain zaps I would be so appreciative.

#22 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hi Blackbetty,

If you're in the US you can get a 20mg capsule, but you've mentioned GP so I'm wondering if you're in the UK or AUst?

Although we're all loathe to suggest to anyone that they take this stuff again,but tapering down more slowly really is the most reliable way of avoiding the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.

Regarding the 'infection' - I'm prepared to hazard a guess that that's also Cymbalta withdrawal. many of us have commented about feeling like we're about to get a cold - that combination of stuffed up head, blocked ears, balance probs etc.

The dizzyness is certainly a common one too.

Many people recommend nutritional and supplement help, but have to personally say the Omega 3 etc made no difference to my zaps.

If you really, really don't want to take any Cymbalta again, many have found that taking Prozac for a short while helps with the symptoms - it's generally much easier to stop taking, and while you are taking it, will help reduce the symtoms.

Can you imagine taking Cymbalta again? (just to taper off more slowly, I mean.)

Maureen.

#23 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi Blackbetty,

If you're in the US you can get a 20mg capsule, but you've mentioned GP so I'm wondering if you're in the UK or AUst?

Although we're all loathe to suggest to anyone that they take this stuff again,but tapering down more slowly really is the most reliable way of avoiding the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.

Regarding the 'infection' - I'm prepared to hazard a guess that that's also Cymbalta withdrawal. many of us have commented about feeling like we're about to get a cold - that combination of stuffed up head, blocked ears, balance probs etc.

The dizzyness is certainly a common one too.

Many people recommend nutritional and supplement help, but have to personally say the Omega 3 etc made no difference to my zaps.

Blackberry,
I know the idea of having to start taking Cymbalta may sound totally insane,
but what Maureene said is so true! I did do the Prozac 40 mg,( well I still am
as I am slowly tapering off the noxious stuff), but I still have withdrawl symptoms
at time that are so bad I don't think I will live through them! It has helped some,
so I would suggest that you trey it as well.

The reason we even suggest going back on this drug is so you can slowly wean
yourself off this crap at your own pace, and have control over your withdrawl
symptoms, because you can!!

Cold turkey like what your doing is the worst way to do this, also not recommended
on the package insert, should even be on your rx bottle. Just so happens this one
is now being found to be like the withdrawls of coming off of Oxycotin!! Yes the
opiate narcotic. The thing with that is they can go into a detox, and be given
detox meds to stop all the horrrible withdrawls, but the only real method that
has showed real results is the slow weaning process.

If you don't decide to do a slow taper, and do just go cold turkey, just know we
are here for you whenever you need us. This is the most supportive, caring,
loving group, and it has saved my life, and sanity!!

Debbie

If you really, really don't want to take any Cymbalta again, many have found that taking Prozac for a short while helps with the symptoms - it's generally much easier to stop taking, and while you are taking it, will help reduce the symtoms.

Can you imagine taking Cymbalta again? (just to taper off more slowly, I mean.)

Maureen.

#24 KathySedeyn

KathySedeyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have questions about cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hello, I found this site doing a google search. Glad I did. I have been on Cymbalta for several years, and just can't afford it anymore. I ran out of it 4 days ago, and the symptons I have are fuzzy vision, a bit tired, slight headache, other than that I am not sure LOL. What is brain zaps? I do get foggy, but even did that on Cymbalta. I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and emphysema. I never smoked, and I am fortunate that my Lupus is in remission. Any input? Thanks, Kathy

#25 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello, I found this site doing a google search. Glad I did. I have been on Cymbalta for several years, and just can't afford it anymore. I ran out of it 4 days ago, and the symptons I have are fuzzy vision, a bit tired, slight headache, other than that I am not sure LOL. What is brain zaps? I do get foggy, but even did that on Cymbalta. I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and emphysema. I never smoked, and I am fortunate that my Lupus is in remission. Any input? Thanks, Kathy

Kathy,
Welcome to Our Forum!!!
Just to let you know what a barin zap is. Some describe it differently, like a swooshing
sound in their heads, electrical shock, trust me you don't want them.

As for myself I didn't really get the withdrawl symptoms until the 6 th day, and then they
were brutal, some just like my being on the drug. I had nightmares, couldn't sleep, it was
like a part of me was still awake, itching, sweating, abdominal pain, my skin was coming
off in sheets on my lower legs.

The withdrawls are really awful, anmd what wee find to be the best way to get off this stuff
is a slow weaning process. Also a Prozac helps too to get rid of the withdrawl symptoms for
some totally, or for other's enough to make a big difference.

With all your medical problems, I hate to see you even think about doing this cold turkey!!!
That is the most unbearable way to go with this drug.

If you can't afford it,, can you get samples from your doctor just to help you during a wean
process? I know that's how I got mine for a couple of years was from my doc's office, those
rep's love to give this out in abundance!

Please read lots of posts here so you can see what you might want to do.
What ever you do we will be here to suppport you during the entire journey.

Debbie

#26 KathySedeyn

KathySedeyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have questions about cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

I already have had the nightmares since the 2nd day off. I had the nausea, sweats, itching and stomach pain , also. Funny thing is, I had all this off and on while ON cymbalta.
A different sympton, for me anyway, is my eyeballs hurt and my vision can get a bit blurry. Also, I get pretty tired like I see a lot of people here do.
I have read a lot of the posts and they have been very helpful.
As for getting samples, I tried that, my Dr doesn't have them. Apparently a lot of people are on this lately and they are running out of samples.
I really appreciate you getting back to me. This forum seems to be a very informative place.
I get foggy, as in brain fog. Forgetfull and words are a bit , um, scrambled, BUT this also passes. Again, thank you and I am sure I will need to depend on you. This means a lot to me, Kathy

#27 redhead

redhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

Hi everyone,

Well it's DAY 10 off the Cymbalta and still doing fairly well. Having some vivid dreams and feel very tired but know its all withdrawal related so keeping positive. Sometimes I feel a bit emotional and try not to focus too far ahead-take every day as it comes. Had some family issues to deal with which really tested me-but so far so good. Luckily I didnt have any brain zaps or dizziness so far so fingers crossed there-I have good support from people so that helps too. Its only a week and a half so things will continue to improve- taking my supplements etc.

Hoping that I wont suffer too much PMS this month but if I do I'll be prepared for it. Obviously it takes a while for all our hormones etc to settle-after all I was on the cymbalta for 2 years... Anyway hopefully worst is over (and it wasnt as bad as I expected) and keeping the faith, positive thinking etc etc.......

My advice again to everyone-TAPER SLOWLY.......

Best of luck to everyone......

#28 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

I already have had the nightmares since the 2nd day off. I had the nausea, sweats, itching and stomach pain , also. Funny thing is, I had all this off and on while ON cymbalta.
A different sympton, for me anyway, is my eyeballs hurt and my vision can get a bit blurry. Also, I get pretty tired like I see a lot of people here do.
I have read a lot of the posts and they have been very helpful.
As for getting samples, I tried that, my Dr doesn't have them. Apparently a lot of people are on this lately and they are running out of samples.
I really appreciate you getting back to me. This forum seems to be a very informative place.
I get foggy, as in brain fog. Forgetfull and words are a bit , um, scrambled, BUT this also passes. Again, thank you and I am sure I will need to depend on you. This means a lot to me, Kathy

Kathy,
Try, and get your doctor's office to just call the rep! They will come in and
bring more samples!!! You can also call the company, and they will give them
to you for free if one can't afford them!!!

Everything that your going through right now are the brutal withdrawls, and I
am so sorry that this is happening to you. I am just trying to think of other
ways for you to get this med so you can stop the withdrawls, even going to
another doctor and getting samples, so you can at least get some of the drug
in your system, and stop all of this.

Can you get your doc to give you Prozac? I am on that, and it did help with
the intensity of the withdrawls for the most part, it is better that my not
being on it.

Just know that we are here for you, and will walk you through this no matter
what happens!!!

Love,
Debbie

#29 katewolf56

katewolf56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    My doctor recommended cymbalta to help me with cronic pain. I now been off this medication for 1 month & still suffer side effects.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

My doctor recommended Cymbalta to help me with my cronic pain. She also said it would give me some much needed energy. I started on 40 mg for 2 weeks and then moved to 60 mgs for 1 month. It didn't help with my pain or increase my energy level. Intially I didn't feel any effects, but soon after I had trouble sleeping. Then my BP elevated about 20 points systolic & diastolic. I have tinnitus and the ringing in my ears got worse. I have always been headache free but I also began to get headaches. I was always thankful that despite living nearly 30 years with cronic pain I very rarely had headaches. I then began having trouble controlling my bladder. I began feeling really strange and light headed. I started gaining weight and had abnormal amounts of gas. I was fatigued most of the time. My doctor urged me to try to stay on the medication for a little longer but I reached the point where I couldn't tolerate it any more. I forgot to mention that I also began to have nightmares and strange dreams. When I stopped taking Cymbalta my BP soon returned to normal but after more than a month all of the other side effects are still lingering. I am beginning to feel helpless and worry that somehow the cymbalta has permanently altered my natural brain chemistry. I can't really describe the way I feel, but I'm I just don't know what to do any more. I'm hoping that there my be some natural remedies to help get me back to normal.

#30 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hi katewolf 56,

Congratulations for ditching Cymbalta.

We're not a big fan of it here! Some don't have much difficulty getting off, some have found it help them before giving them problems etc etc, but generally speaking it does seem to be a harder drug to deal with than others in the anti-d group.

I'm surprised about taking it to INCREASE energy levels - most of us have felt like sleepwalkers on it. Then again, depression in particular can make some people feel unmotivated. I guess if your depression is treated, you might feel more motivated. I was the other way round - I was getting so little sleep and had lost quite a bit of weight, so really needed something to slow me down.

Given you've been off so long, you might want to try Prozac, which I know is a long way from natural, but remember your brain is rebelling because it's been used to the Cymbalta - taking Prozac seems to take the edge off for many.

There are threads here you can follow about what people have found to be useful nutritionally. Personally, nothing made much difference to me.

regards, Maureen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users