• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi Julia

You've weaned off wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too fast. What you are experiencing now is withdrawal. I don't have time to explain now as I have to get my butt off to work (lol) but this drug changes the way your brain functions and it takes time for it return to its pre-med way of functioning.

It might be worth getting back on a low dose to alleviate what you are feeling. Once stable you can taper from there.

Regards
Junior

#2 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

hi everyone ... thanks so much for all of your help so far.
the emotional stuff is killing me. this is what i'm feeling:
- feeling totally apathetic about everything (i don't want to do anything)
- anxious and depressed (really depressed)
- i'm not suicidal, but i'm "feeling" this thing in my head that says "i hate my life and i want to die"
(not hearing voices, not hallucinating, it's a thought that runs through my head)
- i have no energy and have slept on and off throughout the day
- ridiculous bad dreams/or euphoric dreams that result in something bad
- i threw up yesterday and have been having diarrhea and stomach cramps
- inability to focus, or read a book
- I JUST WANT TO CRY - I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW - SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT INSANE.

i was on Cymbalta 60mg since september 25 2009, started tapering january 24 2010. i've been approximating some bead counting, going from 60mg to 0mg in a little over 2 weeks. i guess that's a 4mg drop per day, approximately. i know, it's a lot! but i was really suicidal on the meds and MY LIFE IS AWESOME! I HAVE NO REASON TO FEEL THESE THINGS. i hate cymbalta.

Julia,
You are going WAY TOO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Junior said, and your having major
withdrawl symptoms, and you also were having side effect while on this drug that
are just the same. Here is the site before I get going http://prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

This helped me so very much with all that was going on, as I would try to go back there
and would always find just what was going on with me there! There is nothing wrong with
you, but to get off this drug for some of us that had such awful side effects have to do
the slow wean, and even add a daily dose of Prozac, I am on 20 mg, and it helped me some
with the withdrawls, only because it is longer acting.

What I learned here was to just decrease my dose by 10 beads every 2 weeks, and then to
wait until I was sure that my withdrawls were gone, and drop again. You can always add
beads when decreasing if the withdrawls are to great, and also can go down a few more if
you can tolerate. The point is to stay as comfortable as possible.

Your story is mine, and you will be able to past all of this, I did, but again the only
real way to do this is the slow wean, yes it takes forever, but it's worth it.

Yes we have had a few pass by here that have been lucky enough to just take a Prozac 20 mg
and they were done, that is by far NOT THE NORM. Your brain is addicted to this drug, and
the drug has affected both chemicals in the brain. So much re-wiring needs so be done, but
also just the addiction part of it all is why it's so hard getting off this, and that's
what your going through.

I would suggest going back on the normal dose, and start a slow wean as describe above.

Any ???? Just ask away, you can do this!!

Debbie

#3 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

- i'm not suicidal, but i'm "feeling" this thing in my head that says "i hate my life and i want to die"
(not hearing voices, not hallucinating, it's a thought that runs through my head)
- I JUST WANT TO CRY - I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW - SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT INSANE.

i was on Cymbalta 60mg since september 25 2009, started tapering january 24 2010. i've been approximating some bead counting, going from 60mg to 0mg in a little over 2 weeks. i guess that's a 4mg drop per day, approximately. i know, it's a lot! but i was really suicidal on the meds and MY LIFE IS AWESOME! I HAVE NO REASON TO FEEL THESE THINGS. i hate cymbalta.

Julia,
I am just checking in on you to see how your doing. I re-read
your story, and it reminded me so much of myself when I was
new.

I just want to tell you whst one of the "Old Timmer's" here kept
saying to me "It's the Drug your not crazy" Oh how I needed to
hear that over , and over so many times, and why I kept trying
to talk back to all those thing's in my head, and just say "it's
the drug's"

So much damage, well that's how I feel has been done to our brain's
due to all the re-wriring that has been done, and now as we try to
get off
off this addictive drug our brains freak out just like a addict
would without a fix.

Doing the slow wean that I learned here, and not getting impaitent
is the best, and kindest thing we can do to ourselfves. I had suffered
enough while on the drug.

This method gives you the control and if it's still to hard you cand do
something about it. That was a good feeling after being so controled by
this drug for so very long, I was on it for 3 1/2 years.

I just hope that you can find what works for you, and please know we are
all here to help you get past all of this.

Debbie
I type awful!

#4 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

hi everyone ...

yes, yes, yes, i know, i tapered too fast. i had no choice, though. i mean, i guess i did have choices, but even those awful feelings i stated in beginning this thread weren't as bad as being on Cymbalta. I'm feeling emotionally much better than that - i guess that night was my bottom. my biggest problems now are the feelings of being buzzed/high on drugs. the parasthesia is really bad, i feel all tingly and whatever. i feel disoriented and like i'm half out of my own body... and then there's the itching all over, especially my nose!
did anyone else find that operating heavy machinery was not such a good idea? like driving?

thanks. julia

Julia,
It is not going to get better soon, I really hate to be the one
to tell you that. I so wish you could get samples, amnd just do
slow wean which would stop all this insanity.

Your brain is going through severe withdrawls, and the only way
to get the maddness to stop, is to get some back in your system.

Sad but true this is a very long process.

Check out this site http://www.ssristories.com/index.htm Great site!
Tells you so very much about what you really dealing with! I just got
this site yesterday, and it shocked me, some I already knew.

Keep me posted! Really concerned.

Debbie

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

hi everyone ...

yes, yes, yes, i know, i tapered too fast. i had no choice, though. i mean, i guess i did have choices, but even those awful feelings i stated in beginning this thread weren't as bad as being on Cymbalta. I'm feeling emotionally much better than that - i guess that night was my bottom. my biggest problems now are the feelings of being buzzed/high on drugs. the parasthesia is really bad, i feel all tingly and whatever. i feel disoriented and like i'm half out of my own body... and then there's the itching all over, especially my nose!
did anyone else find that operating heavy machinery was not such a good idea? like driving?

thanks. julia

Hi Julia

Sorry you are having such a hard time with this. Some people find that Prozac helps during the withdrawal process and really, even though you are no longer taking Cymbalta, you are still in withdrawal. Might be worth a try?

Regards
Junior

#6 Dameon

Dameon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationutah
  • why_joining:
    serious issues with cymbalta and the way it makes me think...the dreams and or nightmares, the sweats..a irritating side effect is ED..and of course my wife thinks its her...then my brain goes into spaz mode and I remeber it did not do that BEFORE cymbalta

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

u r not insane..if u r I am too, I wish i could get off this ride

#7 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi Dameon

You CAN get off this drug. I just posted a response to you in another thread but basically, you just need to taper slowly. Also, some people find that Prozac helps (easier to wean off after too). Some find using natural supplements useful. I'm afraid it is trial and error as everyone is different. But you CAN do it.

Cheers
Junior

#8 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi Ken

Sorry things are so rough for you. I won't do the "I told you so" thing, since you've already admitted that it was dumb :P
What you CAN do, if you don't want to go back on a lower dose of C and wean from there, is to take Prozac. Many here have found that it has helped during withdrawal. It is said to be a lot easier to get off too.

Some people try natural supplements but they don't work for everyone.

Good luck
Junior

Oh.. wdl 'causes' these problems because it is your body / brain trying to rewire itself.. to get back to the way it was before medication. I can explain it further if you want but that is the gist.

#9 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

OMG...what have I done? Of course the "rules don't apply to me" so I went from 120 to 60 to 0 in 3 weeks.

I was not depressed (Anxiety stuff), so how bad could it really be, right? Did I say OMG! I am on day 8...I will not go back on this stuff (still stubborn), but this CONSTANT feeling like I am falling is nuts. Shivering at night. Itching/rash. Brain zaps. And did I mention suicidal thoughts for NO reason...trust me, there is nobody who likes me more than me and is LESS suicidial in life, but this withdrawal CAUSED those thoughts. What is that all about???

I can already hear all of you saying listen to your body and wean slowly...my Doc actually suggested that if I can "tough it out" I will be ok in 2-4 weeks. So, although I'm not a religious man, any prayers for 2-4 wks would be appreciated. OMG! I hope the execs at Lily are nervous!

Ken,
Your not stupid, and I want to let you know doctor's know nothing about this drug, and the Pharm Rep's don't
tell them the truth. I am going to let you know that you think it's bad now just wait. What your going through
now is nothing compared to what's to come! It is the # 1 hardest drug to get off of, even harder than Oxycotin
or heroin! Yes this is the truth, and if you do some research you will find the same information.

The withdrawls have actually been compared to that of Oxycotin/Heroin!! but there is no detox protocol, and they
do need to come up with one. I worked drug/alcohol rehab, and I am in recovery for hard core drugs, and tranquilizer's
too, so I know only too well what it's like coming off that stuff, and this was harder, and takes longer, but there is
a way to stop all the insanity! Alos to be in control of it, vs it controlly you.

Your brain is addicted to this drug, and why your feeling as you do. I can tell you right now that if you just took 90 you
would feel better in just a few hours, and fine by tomorrow! I only say this to show your self just how addictive this drug
is. Right now your brain is just that jumkie wanting a fix. It's so hard for many to get this concept until they finally
cave in and do the slow wean.

So many have lost their jobs, can't balance their check bbooks, lost their homes. Have you ever googled this drug????
Or just coming off any antidepressant like you did? It is highly said to be the biggest NO, NO there is, but especially
with this one, and a few other's out there too.

Af far as the drug company, the FDA has made them do some changes on what is said about the side effects, and withdrawls
as far as packageing. It will take time, but you will see this in a civil court, so wait in line to get in on it.

Well do your own thing, we are all stubborn, but sometimes that's what needs to happen to us before we hit a bottom, and
can't take it anymore.

I just wish you luck, and hope that you will try the slow wean. Staying in bed or laying on a couch for several months is
not something anyone looks forward to.

Debbie

#10 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

I know the feeling and your not insane but once u start and try to stop the drug keeps calling u back by confusing u with all the wierd thoughts and impossibly wierd dreams/nightmares and did I mention night sweats?

Dameon,
Your right we are not insane, and it is just the drug.
What the things you do talk about are the withdrawls,
as this drug is addictive to our brains.

When we cold turkey it, or decrease it to much to soon
just like junkie, out brains want more of it. That's
why to slow wean works so well, and you also can control
it, by adding beads if the withdrawls are to great.

I just got the new site, ssristories, what an eyeopener!

Debbie

#11 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

OMG...what have I done? Of course the "rules don't apply to me" so I went from 120 to 60 to 0 in 3 weeks.

I was not depressed (Anxiety stuff), so how bad could it really be, right? Did I say OMG! I am on day 8...I will not go back on this stuff (still stubborn), but this CONSTANT feeling like I am falling is nuts. Shivering at night. Itching/rash. Brain zaps. And did I mention suicidal thoughts for NO reason...trust me, there is nobody who likes me more than me and is LESS suicidial in life, but this withdrawal CAUSED those thoughts. What is that all about???

I can already hear all of you saying listen to your body and wean slowly...my Doc actually suggested that if I can "tough it out" I will be ok in 2-4 weeks. So, although I'm not a religious man, any prayers for 2-4 wks would be appreciated. OMG! I hope the execs at Lily are nervous!

Ken,
It's Debbie again. I am long winded, and forgot to give you the site that I
really like, and still use when it get's hard, as it does.

htt://www.prozactruth.com/cymbalta.htm

Debbie

Also found a new one ssristories

#12 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hi Ken

Vomiting is a common withdrawal effect. You are NOT alone. I didn't actually throw up, but I found I had to eat very light/ bland foods for a while. If I ate anything 'heavy', like a bread roll :rolleyes: , I'd regurgitate (yuk) and get the abdo pain. I went c/t from 60mg. I wish I hadn't. But I'd only been ON it for 19 days and didn't expect to have so much trouble getting off it!

I'd recommend giving yourself 3-6 weeks to stabilise on the 30mg then look at doing a slow taper.

As far as the junkie thing.. Drs refuse to call it addiction.. because.. get this.. we don't actually CRAVE the drug. Not like heroin addicts. But.. our brains DO miss it, and we DO go through withdrawal. So if that's not addiction, I'd like to know what is :rolleyes:

What happens is that a/ds change the way our brain functions. Cymbalta down-regulates serotonin and norepinephrine receptors on the sending neuron, meaning that they can't take back the excess amounts of these neurotransmitters (reuptake), effectively leaving more in the synapse for the receiving neuron to process. In addition, when you change the level of 1 or 2 neurotransmitters, the brain then adjusts the levels of others to find a new equilibrium. All of this is why many people have side effects when they first go on an a/d and why they say it takes several weeks for them to reach their full effect.

As you can imagine, all of this has to be undone when we come off these drugs. And it takes time. It's not how long it takes to get the drug out of our bodies. It's how long it takes for the receptors to upregulate and for the levels of all the other neurotransmitters to return to normal.

If we do a slow taper, this process happens more slowly and is easier to live with. From talking to many people both here and at another forum, the slow taper also produces a better long term outcome.

Really, it's not about how strong or determined we are. It's about recognising what these drugs do to us and how best we can undo it.

I wish you all the best
Junior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users