Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am on day 4 of weaning off cymbalta.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site. I have been on 60 mg. of cymbalta for a year for depression and fibromyalgia. It has helped with the fibro, but has messed with my blood sugars, weight and hate that I can't have a drink. So I decided to go off of it. A few months ago a went from 60 to 30mg. On day 5 I woke up with a compulsion to kill myself...It was so bazarre...Not 'woe is me' goodbye cruel world stuff..This was a strong weird feeling like' you are going to kill yourself. Needless to say I went back to 60 mg. After that episode, I wanted more than ever to get off of this terrible drug. So here I am, once again on day 5 of 30 mg. decreasing from 60. I have had flu like symptoms, but no repeat of last time. Now I am contemplating going off of it completely in a few days. I figure if you have to go through withdrawal symptoms, you may as well get it over with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. In the past few hours, I feel my energy coming back and my thinking is already clearer. Good luck to you all in getting off of this awful drug.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hello Bon Bon:
I have been taking cymbalta 60mg for 5 years. When I started taking cymbalta I gained weight (from 110lbs to 162lbs in 3 months aprox. I was also taking another medicine called zyprexa). I realized that I was extremely hungry and thirsty. Recently I got a special blood test in which the doctor found I had developed insulin resistance due to the meds(my body produces tons of insulin, which the body is not capable of using, so glucose levels increase and as they increase, my body produces even more insulin). Now I am taking a pill for diabetes. The good news is that with the combination of the diabetes pill + exercise + eating healthy I was able to lose weight. I am now on 136lbs. I recently started reducing the dose. In this site I´ve read both, experiences of people that quit cymbalta real fast and people that decrease dose little by little. In my case I do not dare to diminish from 60mg to 30mg, so I reduced to 52mg this week. So it´s your decision how fast you want to go. So far I have had headache and flu symptoms like you. About the compulsion to kill yourself, I think it is due to neurotrasmitters functioning. I had that compulsion not with cymbalta decrease but when I started suffering my severe depression.
Hope this info helped,
Hugs
C.

#3 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    Am trying to get off Cymbalta 30mg and wondering about brain zaps.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site. I have been on 60 mg. of cymbalta for a year for depression and fibromyalgia. It has helped with the fibro, but has messed with my blood sugars, weight and hate that I can't have a drink. So I decided to go off of it. A few months ago a went from 60 to 30mg. On day 5 I woke up with a compulsion to kill myself...It was so bazarre...Not 'woe is me' goodbye cruel world stuff..This was a strong weird feeling like' you are going to kill yourself. Needless to say I went back to 60 mg. After that episode, I wanted more than ever to get off of this terrible drug. So here I am, once again on day 5 of 30 mg. decreasing from 60. I have had flu like symptoms, but no repeat of last time. Now I am contemplating going off of it completely in a few days. I figure if you have to go through withdrawal symptoms, you may as well get it over with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. In the past few hours, I feel my energy coming back and my thinking is already clearer. Good luck to you all in getting off of this awful drug.

Hi bon Bon, the feeling you had the first time you tried to stop Cymbalta is called 'suicide ideation' and is a big risk with both anti-depressants and withdrawal from anti-depressants.

Please reconsider your decision to drop the 30mg straight away. You may find that you've no where near hit the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. Even the drug companies themselves say that you must wean off slowly. Your first experience is enough evidence of how Cymbalta has altered your brain. You MUST allow your brain to adjust back to normal slowly.

Even if you give it a couple of weeks before attempting to drop the 30mg, you will at least know what sort of dose to take again if you need to. If you do it the way you plan, you won't know whether it was the 60mg to 30mg drop, or the 30mg to zero drop which caused theproblem.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted and we'll help support you through it.

regards, Maureen.

#4 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

Thank-you for your words of encouragement and help. Today is day 6 of 30 mg from 60. I have come this far so don't want to increase again if i can help it. This morning I feel jumpy and shaky inside. I am so anxious to get off of this drug asap. I NEED it out of my system. Maureen, I hate that my brain has been altered to that extent. It scares me so much. My husband starts a week holidays today so I won't be alone. He says I should go off it completely soon so he can be here when I have the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. Your words Marlene and C, do not go unheeded. I am going into this with my eyes wide open and bracing myself for a tough ride. I appreciate this site and both of your interests in my situation. 'C', congrats on your weight loss. After I am off cymbalta totally, my next goal is to lose 75pounds. I would love to hear more of how you changed your lifestyle to accomplish your weight loss. I have had type 2 diabetes for a number of years. Since taking cymbalta I have had to double my diabetes med, metformin. Your story has inspired me to get into the diet and exercise. Thank you so much for sharing that.
I will keep you posted about how I feel and what's going on here. It helps to journal it and here seems a good place to do it as I get some feedback.
Thanks again,
Bon bon

#5 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Bon Bon:
Yes there is hope for loosing weight. In my case I do not have family history of diabetes, didn´t suffer from diabetes before taking cymbalta + zyprexa. After taking them, I developed insulin resistance. I am also taking metformin which helped a lot to loose weight. Doctor says that once you loose weight, the insulin and glucose values improve. I went to a nutritionist, she gave me some tips, but I think the most important thing here, is that I am not taking any processed/packaged food. I go for natural stuff. In the morning I made my own cereal combining (flaxseed, sesame seeds, nuts) + yogurt and an orange juice. For lunch I eat one protein (meat, chicken or fish), one carbohydrate (potatoe, rice), one vegetable and one fruit. I make a little snack on the afternoon and at night I usually have vegetables. I am walking 40 minutes 5 times a week, and doing yoga. It´s curious because I started diet and exercise because my insulin and glucose was high, I found out that diet + exercise, improved my mood also. Unbalanced glucose levels lead to depression. As long as you manage to make them stable, you will feel better. Yoga is excellent for me. If you want further information let me know
hugs
"C" Cookie

#6 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thank-you for your words of encouragement and help. Today is day 6 of 30 mg from 60. I have come this far so don't want to increase again if i can help it. This morning I feel jumpy and shaky inside. I am so anxious to get off of this drug asap. I NEED it out of my system. Maureen, I hate that my brain has been altered to that extent. It scares me so much. My husband starts a week holidays today so I won't be alone. He says I should go off it completely soon so he can be here when I have the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. Your words Marlene and C, do not go unheeded. I am going into this with my eyes wide open and bracing myself for a tough ride. I appreciate this site and both of your interests in my situation. 'C', congrats on your weight loss. After I am off cymbalta totally, my next goal is to lose 75pounds. I would love to hear more of how you changed your lifestyle to accomplish your weight loss. I have had type 2 diabetes for a number of years. Since taking cymbalta I have had to double my diabetes med, metformin. Your story has inspired me to get into the diet and exercise. Thank you so much for sharing that.
I will keep you posted about how I feel and what's going on here. It helps to journal it and here seems a good place to do it as I get some feedback.
Thanks again,
Bon bon

Hi again bon bon,

cymbalta is actually out of your system very, very quickly - that's part of the problem. I know it seems scary that your brain chemistry has altered, but that's actually the way the drug helps you - if it didn't do that it wouldn't work.

The important thing is giving your brain time to adjust BACK, and only time can do that.

That's why it's important to wean down slowly.

Those who've gone cold turkey (which is what you'll effectively be doing by dropping the 30mg) can find it takes up to a month to feel o.k. again. There also seems to be a chance that symptoms can recur up to a year later for those who go cold turkey, compared with those who wean slowly.

Don't want to put you off, just want to let you know what to expect.

regards, Maureen.

#7 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

Dear Cookie, thank for the words of encouragement regarding weight loss. Today i am going to start losing this excess weight. I am going to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. I got on the scale today and have 80 pounds to lose. I will keep you posted on my progress. I crave sugar and usually give in so that is going to be tough to get over.

Maureen, I am so torn between getting this over with and listening to your forewarning. I know the fact my husband is home for a week is making me want to do it now when I won't be alone.

Update...Day 7 from 60 to 30 mg. Slept great last night. usually take a trazadone to sleep but went with out it last night. also trying to wean off those. I haven't taken the 30mg this morning yet. Still considering biting the bullet in hopes i am one of the minority who don't have many probs going off this completely. Yesterday was pretty good, except over reacted to a prob. at around 5 pm. Thinking more clearly and am hopeful.

I will keep you all posted. Hang in there everyone. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

#8 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Dear Cookie, thank for the words of encouragement regarding weight loss. Today i am going to start losing this excess weight. I am going to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. I got on the scale today and have 80 pounds to lose. I will keep you posted on my progress. I crave sugar and usually give in so that is going to be tough to get over.

Maureen, I am so torn between getting this over with and listening to your forewarning. I know the fact my husband is home for a week is making me want to do it now when I won't be alone.

Update...Day 7 from 60 to 30 mg. Slept great last night. usually take a trazadone to sleep but went with out it last night. also trying to wean off those. I haven't taken the 30mg this morning yet. Still considering biting the bullet in hopes i am one of the minority who don't have many probs going off this completely. Yesterday was pretty good, except over reacted to a prob. at around 5 pm. Thinking more clearly and am hopeful.

I will keep you all posted. Hang in there everyone. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi Bon Bon, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to go cold turkey and the symptoms become unbearable, taking Cymbalta again will work fairly quickly.

The longer you go without it, the less you will need to feel better. e.g. if you go for a week then feel you can't keep going that way, take 15mg PER DAY and wean from there.

Keep in mind (I feel like I'm really lecturing you, but I hope you don't mind) that taking the odd Cymbalta is completely counterprodutive. It doesn't just put the symptoms 'on hold' for the time it works, it's actually putting your brain back into reverse, if that makes sense. i.e. When that 'occasional' Cymbalta leaves your system within 24 hours you will be worse of than when you took it. It's not like taking a paracetamol.

Either way, keep in touch for support, etc.

regards, Maureen.

p.s. I do completely understand your desire to be off sooner rather than later, believe me, we've all been through that.

#9 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

thanks for the advice Maureen. I don't mind u advising me at all. It actually feels good that someone out there actually is listening and responding...and that you understand. Well, for a recap to others, i was on 60mg of cymbalta for a year for fibromyalgia and major depression. It helped fibro quite a bit but not depression. this drug caused weight gain, elevated blood sugars and crazy mood swings. 7 days ago i decreased dosage to 30mg. took that for six days and today stopped taking cymbalta completely. I kept busy all day. My eyes were light sensitive and had a bout of nausea and stomach pains. These were short lived and went shopping all afternoon. My mood has been great but I think it is just the freedom i feel to be off this awful drug. I know I have worse days in store. I haven't had any alcohol while taking cymbalta.
QUESTION: Does anyone know how long I should continue abstaining? I figure 2 weeks cymbalta free would be a guess when its safe to have a few drinks.
Please let me know. I will keep you posted on my cold turkey experience. I welcome the challenge of being a guinea pig in this area. I will answer all questions.
Thanks,
Bon bon :)

#10 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

Dear Bon Bon:
I read that there is a link between sugar balance and depression. It is ironic that Cymbalta is used to treat depression and at the same time messes up sugar balance -causing more depression-?. remember brain works based on glucose. So the proper use an absortion of glucose is important for brain functioning.

Please keep me updated on your progress on weigh loss and how you feel from now on. One of the things that scare me is how my Depression will be when I quit or reduce cymbalta and since you mentioned that you took it for Depression, this information will be useful.

Starting a healthy eating and exercise not only will help you feel well but also to improve your mood.

Glad to hear that you are doing better!
hugs
cookie

#11 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Dear Cookie, They say begun is half done..but where weight loss is concerned i have always taken one step forward and two back. I am an emotional eater and to put it mildly, have a messed up idea of what being nice to me looks like regarding food. I just let out a big sigh after typing that. But i am getting better, especially grocery shopping. I have to do it..i need to do it..Tomorrow i pledge to walk the dog..to wear my pedometer..and to try and eat healthy. My husband is my gauge to letting me know if i am improving mood wise. He said today i am definitely doing better..laughing more, happier in general than when i was on 60 mg of cymbalta one week ago. He said today i seem much better off it than I was on it. I am still being realistic and tomorrow is only day 2 on nooooo cymbalta...Yeahhh I am going to do this and even lose the weight.
Take care Cookie..You are so nice to encourage me. thanks :)
nite,
Bon bon

#12 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

Dear Cookie, They say begun is half done..but where weight loss is concerned i have always taken one step forward and two back. I am an emotional eater and to put it mildly, have a messed up idea of what being nice to me looks like regarding food. I just let out a big sigh after typing that. But i am getting better, especially grocery shopping. I have to do it..i need to do it..Tomorrow i pledge to walk the dog..to wear my pedometer..and to try and eat healthy. My husband is my gauge to letting me know if i am improving mood wise. He said today i am definitely doing better..laughing more, happier in general than when i was on 60 mg of cymbalta one week ago. He said today i seem much better off it than I was on it. I am still being realistic and tomorrow is only day 2 on nooooo cymbalta...Yeahhh I am going to do this and even lose the weight.
Take care Cookie..You are so nice to encourage me. thanks :)
nite,
Bon bon

I had to lose weight which I put on with Lexapro. Everyone's different in what they find motivating etc, but one thing I found helped me was Metamucil, which I was taking to get extra fibre missing from a 1200 calorie diet.

When I was taking it three times a day as directed (building up to that as they recommend, over a few weeks) I didn't notice much difference, but then I started taking a larger dose twice a day - mid morning and mid afternoon. Boy, what a difference. It seems to 'sit' in your intestines and make you feel less hungry. I can quite honestly say while I've been doing this I have not felt any hunger pangs at all.

Unfortunately hunger pangs are generally the least of our problems - it's that second piece of vanilla slice which gets to me every time, and I can't claim to feel 'hungry' at that point.

The difference the metamucil made though, is that I would actually feel quite full after an average meal, and when you 'feel' really full, you tend to not crave things as much.

Worked for me, anyway.

regards, Maureen.

#13 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hi maureen, thannks for the tip. I live in canada, and there is a natural thing out there by the makers of barley green that is a diet aid and does what you described. I will consider that.
Day 2 of 30 to 0mg. cymbalta.
This morning I am dizzy and my eyes seem a little out of focus. I am still not wavering on the cold turkey thing, hoping against hope i am one of the few that have minimal side effects. Today i plan to exercise and get plenty of sunshine and fresh air. I will keep posting re: cold turkey results.

#14 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hi maureen, thannks for the tip. I live in canada, and there is a natural thing out there by the makers of barley green that is a diet aid and does what you described. I will consider that.
Day 2 of 30 to 0mg. cymbalta.
This morning I am dizzy and my eyes seem a little out of focus. I am still not wavering on the cold turkey thing, hoping against hope i am one of the few that have minimal side effects. Today i plan to exercise and get plenty of sunshine and fresh air. I will keep posting re: cold turkey results.

Fingers crossed for you. :)

regards, Maureen.

#15 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

7pm
this morning was good. went to an exercise class i hadn't attended in over a year. This afternoon was bad. i felt like i was on some kind of bad trip. my eyes were almost closed i felt drunk, disoriented brain zaps, ringing in ears, and exhausted. i went from hot to cold and back.. fast pulse..angry that this drug was in my system. slept for an hour, mind is clearer now...looking forward to a future that does not include cymbalta or any other anti depressant. tomorrow is day 3 with no cymbalta..i was pretty good 6 days after going from 60 to 30 mg. I am planning a quiet next 6 days of fresh air and sunshine...to go through whatever withdrawals that are necessary.
I hope you all are fairing well today.
Bon bon :blink:

#16 div div

div div

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationmountain west region
  • why_joining:
    getting off of cymbalta, and want to help others do the same :)

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

howdy all, I was taking 120mg 2weeks ago, and this is my first day of zero. I must tell you that it was against dr. orders he recomended zyxprexa or however it is spelled. I was also taking a ton of clonazapam. The reason form my rash change was I was extremely paranoid all the time and could no longer sleep. The jump from 120 to 60mg was a 3 day process. I haven't felt brain zaps this time, but i have had cold/flu like symptoms. After reading this forum, and seeing that the zyprexa actually caused someone to have diabetic symptoms I am glad that I am doing this. Side effects are aggitation, and a headache that sucks. Fortunately my dr. also gave me some sort of valium, and it is keeping me sane.

The key to avoiding some withdrawl symptoms has been extreme exercise. I picked up a job on the weekend that requires me to get up at 4 and load heavy stuff into a trailor then delivering/setting up. Waiting then picking up these heavy objects at the end of the of the day. it is an 18 hour day of activity. I have a full time job durring the week as well. Confusion is also a problem, but it is better than I was 2 weeks ago. I lost 5 pounds this weekend, and my personality has changed, but I feel that is due to the valium. I hear that 30mg to zero is the worst. Anyone know how long the withdrawl lasts? I have 4 more days before I have to be anywhere that is high anxiety. An email with an idea of the end of the tunnel meaning cymbalta leaving my system completely would be wonderful.

I have heard up to several months. I chew as well, and I can't anymore without setting off a headache, but still do it anyway.

I'd rather live with this headache than ever take cymbalta ever again. I am pretty sure that exercise is the key. any comments would be appreciated. Good luck, and if there is something nasty comming my way someone let me know. Well I told my story, and info is what I am after. My advice is to anyone who is depressed pick something other than cymbalta. Stop drinking if you are trying to quit it helps big time.

I wish that this gives hope to others :)

#17 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Dear Bon Bon:
I understand you being an "emotional eater", food usually gives us relief. You should find among the healthy foods which are the ones which make you feel better. For example I don´t drink sodas now, I drink fruit juices. It´s good that you´ll start walking the dog and attenting an exercise. My advice it to find something that you really like. I used to be so lazy at doing exercise, but I found yoga to be fun to me. It is better to become addicted to exercise than it is to become addicted to meds ;) . I read that this afternoon was not that good for you. You must exercise according to how you feel. The days that you don´t feel that fine, you can do a slow walk for example. Sunshine is excellent. You say that you look forward for a future without cymbalta/antidepressants. Me too!!! There MUST be ways to boost neurotrasmitters gradually!!!
Keep it up!
Hugs
Cookie

#18 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

Dear Div Div:
I took zyprexa for 5 years. It was a wonderful drug to treat my psychotic symptoms, but yes, in combination with cymbalta I gained a lot of weight, and developed insulin resistance, having to take diabetic meds.
120mg of cymbalta sounds an extremely high dosage to me. I´ve read that the therapeutic dosage is 60mg, and if one takes more than that there are no further benefits. (I took 90mg and felt the same as 60mg).
I also had flu like symptoms.
Div Div, I agree that exercise helps not only with withdrawal symptoms but also with Depression itself. It releases endorphins (feel good substances in the body). It is good that you are able to work.
Yes I also read that from 30mg to cero is the hardest. (Although I do not have experience on that because I am actually at 52mg)
Regards
Cookie

#19 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

day 3 cold turkey was brutal...same symptoms as yesterday only worse. I had some relief after taking a benedryl allery pill. This relief was short lived. I am hanging in there. I am medicating myself with food also. When i am eating, i am not thinking of how bad i feel. My diet goals have gone out the window temporarily. I am going to beat this withdrawal then I will worry about the weight. I am not giving up..i will never take an anti depressant again for the rest of my life. I would rather be depressed than drugged up. There are other ways to feel good rather than popping pills.

#20 MaureenV

MaureenV

God-like

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

day 3 cold turkey was brutal...same symptoms as yesterday only worse. I had some relief after taking a benedryl allery pill. This relief was short lived. I am hanging in there. I am medicating myself with food also. When i am eating, i am not thinking of how bad i feel. My diet goals have gone out the window temporarily. I am going to beat this withdrawal then I will worry about the weight. I am not giving up..i will never take an anti depressant again for the rest of my life. I would rather be depressed than drugged up. There are other ways to feel good rather than popping pills.

I fully agree about worrying about the diet later. On Lexapro I put on quite a bit of weight. I actually lost a bit on Cymbalta, but didn't attempt to 'diet' until I was completely off the drug.

When I gave up smoking 20 years ago, I allowed myself a certain amount of weight gain, and gave myself food as rewards for not smoking. Once I'd put on a stone (about 14 lbs) I decided that it was probably long enough to stop gaining, then waited a bit longer and started dieting. The best bit then was, unlike smoking, I could actually have SOME food.

regards, Maureen.

#21 Doob

Doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCali
  • why_joining:
    Curently on day 6 of stopping "cold turkey"
    Just looking for some support.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Bon,
I had to monitor my blood sugar 3 times aday while I was withdrawing. Especially important during the time I felt flu like symptoms. This drug really messes with your blood sugar. I was way elevated while on Cymb.
At least take a day's baseline and see how you feel. Sometimes I am obsessed by my b/s readings.
Sometimes not so much. On days that I had readings that were in guidelines, I had lessened widthdrawl symptoms.
Namely headaches and ab pain. Good Luck

Peace
Doob

#22 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Doob, thanks for putting the blood sugars back into the forefront. I haven't taken mine in days. Tomorrow i will take it 4 times to see how they are. The overeating has got to stop and this is a good wake up call in this area. I appreciate all the input from you and others here. As you all know, you are not thinking straight when ears are ringing and brain is buzzing.
Take care,
Bon bon

#23 svw39740

svw39740

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I Have Elevated Liver Enzymes - Cymbalta Withdrawals

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

This is my first post. I found this website a few months back and have read over several of the forums. I had a hysterectomy in December. During the routine bloodwork it was discovered I had elevated liver enzymes. After a few more blood tests, I had an ultrasound in March and have been trying to come off Cymbalta since then. My first two attemps were really miserable. My doctor recommended coming from 60mg down to 30mg for one week then taking 30 mg every other day then stopping. I felt horrible! That is when I did some internet researching and found this site. I was so dizzy I could barely function not to mention I did have several of the other "common withdrawals" posted by others. After a few days of misery I started back at the 30mg daily dosage. As of May 11 I have not taken any dosage of Cymbalta. I have good and bad days and hours. I meet again tomorrow with my Gastroenterologist.

#24 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

dear svw, did the drs. say the elevated liver enzymes were due to you taking cymbalta? I have read it can affect your liver and that is why i was hesitant to drink alcohol while taking it. welcome to the group by the way. these people are wonderful and caring. I understand your withdrawal symptoms and sympathize. I am on day 4 of cold turkey cymbalto withdrawal. This morning isn't too bad so far. I am trying to take it one hour at a time, knowing time is going to fix this problem.
Let us know how your apptmt. goes today, and when you feel bad, this is a good place to vent.
All the best,
Bon bon

#25 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Doob, My blood sugar was 7.8 this morning...it should be about 5. I know the U.S. b.s. are read different, but don't know them. My weight is the same as last week so the binging didn't affect me that way but i am back on the wagon and will watch bs carefully today. Things don't seem as crazy and loud in my head this morning so hopefully withdrawals are slowing down.
have a good one,
Bon

#26 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Dear Bon Bon:
I wasn´t able to write for a while, since internet in my computer wasn´t working.
I agree, to delay the diet until you feel better. I am glad to hear that withdrawals symptoms are slowing down.
Hugs
Cookie

#27 Bon Bon 54

Bon Bon 54

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:23 AM

Welcome back cookie..it seems wd symptoms are worse for me in the afternoon and evenings. On day 4 i see it now as a bit of wound up high ..a kind of manic few hours..have never had it before and was definately a wd symptom. yesterday was day 5 cld. turkey. am was good..pm not so good. lots of wd symptoms. This morning i awoke with a black cloud of depression over my head and major pain from head to toe..since i have fibro and cymbalta really helped..i thought ..oh no..this is what my life is like now..but after 2 hours more sleep...pain is less and black cloud is gone..still feeling very cautious to whether withdrawals are going to be less from here on in but hope is back and you gotta have hope. for everyone who is reading this..life on cymbalta is worse than any withdrawal symptoms you can experience...because..it is short lived...a few weeks..a month..whatever, i already see more of a day with hardly any symptoms...what i mean to say, symptoms are lessening...days are getting more hopeful..good luck all in getting off this dreadful drug...i plan to work on pain and depression symptoms in more natural way...exercise, sunshine, friends, healthy lifestyle and FUN! :D

#28 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

Dear Bon Bon:
Reading your update about being manic for a few hours, made me think something. For the past 5 years I´ve been severely depressed. But I got so used to it, that it is a feeling that I know, and I am not that afraid off. Since I started reducing cymb. dosage, I´ve had this extremely short "ups" or "manic moments". This scare me, because I rather have a low stable mood than mood swings or not knowing how will I feel during the day.
Thank God, that black cloud of depression dissapeared for you and symptoms are lessening.
Although I think that withdrawal is tricky, one might feel well one day and then take 2 steps back. But the important thing is not to worry, things will get better.
A few months ago I quit my psychotic medicine and had withdrawals. I could not function for a month and a half. I thought I had to live feeling this way for the rest of my life. But one day I got better and realized that the low stage I had lived was withdrawals.
To keep on thinking positive is the key
Hugs
Cookie

#29 Nancyrslr

Nancyrslr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    to help people understand what I am going thru withdrawing from this drug.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:54 PM

[

#30 Nancyrslr

Nancyrslr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    to help people understand what I am going thru withdrawing from this drug.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi there! I too started going off of cymbalta about a week ago, hot flashes, bitchiness, moody and uggghghhh.
My doc said if I start taking another anti-anxiety med it will help, so I started on paxil about 4 days ago and it seems to help. You might want to ask your doctor to give you another brand of meds. My other doc said if I just took one Prozac, because it is long lasting, it too will help me with the withdrawals.
The bad thing is, cymbalta while making me a little depressed, really helped with my arthritis, I am starting to ache more now. Well, for everyone one good thing, there are always 10 bad.........

Good luck! Keep us posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users