• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nancyweNW

nancyweNW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

I stopped at the store and talked to the pharmacist about the withdrawal symptoms which she confirmed for everything I'm feeling. I'm 1 week off the drug completely but having all the usual stuff mentioned: brain zaps, headaches, upset stomach, insommnia, foggy, crying jags, ya know the list. She suggested I go back on to a small dose for a month and keep taking it down from there a month at a time. When I told her my doctor recommended against opening the capsules, she all but said "pshaw!". Start w/a half capsule and keep taking it down from that.

What I'm asking is advice from those who are farther along getting off this stuff. My feeling at the moment is to stay off since I'm already a week into being off it totally. She felt that going back to the micro doses over the longer period of time would be better as far as the symptoms. I'm very reluctant to go back on it even in small doses right now as I'm concerned that I still may experience the same thing 4 or 5 months down the road. Plus, I broke out in hives at about the same time I started on this but not completely certain the Cymbalta is what's causing it. I'm still having hive outbreaks every day though.

I have seen the suggestions about Benadryl and fish oil which I bought tonight.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

I think it depends on how bad you are actually feeling. I'm not sure that after a week out that I would take it again, because you would have to start the withdrawal all over again. Now, there are others here, Sarah J is one, that talked to her doctor, and started on a low dose of Celexa, and then weaned down from it.

There are also a couple of different posts here about taking one dose of Prozac, and that has worked for others too. Personally, if you have made it a week cold turkey, I would look into these 2 options. You should be proud that you made it a week cold turkey, that is amazing. But, if you are feeling horrid, then you can do what the pharmacist suggested. Most of us weaned by emptying portions of the capsules out. This was done over various time periods. I did mine in about 2 weeks.

I take Nordic Natural Ultimate Omega, as do a couple of others here. It is pricey, about $50 a bottle, but you want to get a really good Omega 3 to get any benefit from it, so it is worth it to me. I think it has helped me, but of course I don't have anything to compare it to. Each of us is different. But, it is good for you in general, and I plan to continue taking it going forward to hopefully ward of any future depression.

Benedryl worked for many here, but it made me kind of jittery, and I was already feeling that way, so I didn't use it more than a couple of times. Others have mentioned Dramamine.

Good Luck to you , and continue to post as many questions as you have. Also, read through other posts here, under weaning off of Cymbalta, and you will find other stories and ideas.

#3 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

nancy - if you are a week out on this, you are on the way. Not very comfortable and I feel for you. Working SUCKS when going through this. Hope that you can avoid direct contact with people and deal with them via email, faxes and such.

What the pharmacist said might help you, but you had said you have been on other antidepressants before - was there one that you did come off of without any problems? Everybody is individual, going back on any dose of Cymbalt might begin your withdrawal cycle all over again??? I would be very cautious with this as an option, but you are the one who has to live your life and live in your body, ultimately, you need to decide what is best for you.

I did find a new doctor, my prescribing one was useless and dismissed the fact that Cymbalta withdrawal existed. New doc gave me a low dose of another antidepressant, was fully functional in a couple of days. Weaned down pretty quick, with dose drops every week. I've been off of that one for 10 days now, and really had little to no withdrawal off of it. 2000% easier than coming off of Cymbalta!

If you have never taken Prozac, I would seriously consider giving it a try. It really helped many people who post here. You were on Cymbalta for such a short time and I am so sorry that you are having difficulties. It does get better, talk to your doc about some of the options mentioned if you aren't feeling better today. Stay strong, try to relax, it won't go on forever.

#4 nancyweNW

nancyweNW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the input. I have pretty much decided to not go back on the small doses of Cymbalta since I'm already over a week out now. It's tough at work but I'm just trying to get through the day. I'm taking Tylenol PM at night which has helped some with the headaches and insommnia. Still takes awhile to get to sleep but once I do, I have been sleeping through the night. No nightmares thankfully.

This board has been great and I appreciate everyone's support...it really means a lot when you feel crappy and alone at times going through this. What's interesting to me is that my pharmacist was so informed and said, "oh yeah, that's typical for these type of anti-depressants" but yet it seems like a whole bunch of people taking the stuff were pretty surprised by what happens when they stop the stuff.

#5 tired08

tired08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

if your withdrawal is bearable then stick it out but don't be a masichist( not sure of spelling) like I was ,just refusing to ingest cymbalta or anything else. I think in some people like me it can cause harm. I don't yet know if it is permanent but I have a racing pulse and elevated blood pressure that won't go away. My fibro doctor today told me that the withdrawal was just too hard on my body and it has cause a generalized anxiety disorder in me. The psychiatrist agreed. I'm taking ativan 3 times a day and my heart is still racing. The psychiatrist is switching me from the low dose celexa to wellbutrin to try to get my body to calm down. I'll see the cardiologist tomorrow and if he says the same, I'll just have to wait it out. Who knows how long that will be. I say all of this to say, take care of yourself. This is no time. to try and be superwoman. If something seems to unbearable let someone know. You know I had been on different anti-depressants for about 7 years non stop, no break. On tuesday the psychiatrist told me that had I been her patient at the time she would have weaned me over a year because of the length of time I had been on them and my pcp did it in one week. Everybodys body is different, listen to it. I didn't then, but I do now and I have no problem picking up the phone and calling the doctor's office which is so different than how I was before. Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users