• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 inpaininpain

inpaininpain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well my journey started 4 years ago with multiple trips to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. From there I started my antidepressants. So now at the age of 41 I first used paxil, then lexapro, and finally onto cymbalta. Over those 4 years including the first one seeing a therapist I was able to take control of my panic/anxiety attacks. But I've also managed to put on over 110 lbs. I went from just under 200 to just under 310. I finally had enough. I've always been somewhat overweight (but still very athletic) and have lost a considerable amounts of weight 3 times in my life but this increase came quick and came hard. This is about 40 pounds higher than my highest ever ... I felt so awful (no wait I'm still there :) ), have problems with my hip which I now have severe arthritis in, problems doing things because of my weight, loss of my libido.. and this was all affecting me much more than the panic attacks ever did.

Six weeks ago I started my tapering off of the cymbalta and now I find myself into my 5th day of being completely cymbalta free. The brain shudders continue, there is constant ringing in my ears, my eyes are very jumpy ( the best that I can describe it), headache, very irritable, and some crazy, crazy dreams. But at the same time I'm very happy to be on my way to a cymbalta free life.

I'm anxious to get the weight under control and yet really don't seem to have the ability to start. I guess baby steps is the way to go. I'll put some additional updates on here as I continue thru my journey. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated... Best of luck to all of you..

#2 schmb01

schmb01

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:21 PM

Welcome! Yes, you are on your way, and we are here to support you.

Weight gain seems to be very common, I know I put it on while on Cymbalta, but you said it; baby steps.

In the beginning of my own journey, I found this site, late at night, when I was feeling very overwhelmed. It helps to know that you are not alone, that what you are feeling is real, and that there is an end in site. Of course, everyone gets there in different time frames, and with different methods, but we can and do get there.

Take some time to read others stories, and see if there are tips to help you. Also, there are a few of us that pop in fairly regularly, so feel free to ask questions. This is a great support system.

As for the weight, I decided to get my brain healthy first, and then move on to the rest of me. One hurdle at a time!

Good Luck, and please do keep us posted!

#3 nancyweNW

nancyweNW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

If someone had told me that I would eventually see some light at at the end of the tunnel to this mess, I'm not sure I would have believed them. This site has been a blessing and helped tremendously w/the withdrawal which has definitely taken me by surprise. I had been on Wellbutrin for several years which helped considerably until the effectiveness seemed to stop. I started on Cymbalta in mid-Jan 08 w/great results except I broke out in hives. I tried a cold turkey drop which proved to be a really, really bad idea. I'm now at 9 days off from a 20 mg dose and I have to say, for the first time today, I almost felt kind of myself again. Take it a day at a time and I have found several suggestions on this board to be very helpful in dealing w/the aftershock. I have been taking fish oil, B12, B complex which do seem to help. My eating was over the top but I honestly put weight gain aside for a bit and just let it go. I just started eating more things like oatmeal, fruit, bran muffins, as all the sugar and salt I was taking in didn't seem to help.

It does get better! Hang in there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users