• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peema

peema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 120mg of Cymbalta for one year. I had to quit cold turkey because I ran out before I was able to get my mail order filled in. I am on day 8.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

I have been on Cymbals for a year. My doc put me on 120mg to address depression which was rather debilitating at that time. In addition to Cymbals, I was on 500mg Depakote, 30mg Remeron and 300mg Welbutrin SR. I think it helped me resolve my depression since I fill nothing even close to what I felt a year ago. But I gained 40 lbs in the first 6 months. I started watching my food, working out 4 times a week (and I mean kicking my ass) and I was able to arrest the weight gain. I even lost 3-4 lbs in 3 months. Well, I told my doc I had to dump Depakote and Remeron, which he approved and tapered both of them in about a month. Since then, a month and a half later, I lost 15 pounds and felt great.
Now about my romance with Cymbalta. I knew I had to face the withdrawal from it sooner or later (from reading other cymbaltologyst posts rather than my doctor, since my doctor did not tell me anything about it). I ran out of Cymbalta before I was able to get my mail order supply filled in. That happened 8 days ago. Well, all the typical withdrawal symptoms followed a day later. Brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, short term memory problems, insomnia, vivid nightmares to name a few. Last week just sucked. I’d get some episodes of normal life, but mostly it was pretty bad. I’d lay in my bad till morning trying to sleep, but every little sound would wake me up, then I’d drift away into some bizarre dream to only wake up a minute later when a rush of wind blow against the exterior wall of my house. There were two nights when I’d wake up and for a few seconds I could not move or say anything. My whole body went paralyzed. That freaked me out, I’d be afraid to fall asleep. And so on…
So two days ago I started taking Benadryl before going to bed at night. It helped me to sleep through the night. I felt a little groggy next morning, but that wound go away shortly. I also started taking Omega-3 (two of those red ones made of some krill fish) and 50 mg of Zoloft in the morning. I had Zoloft left over from some time ago. Well, yesterday I had absolutely none of those zaps! It is approaching noon today and so far no zaps today either! I feel way much better. I do not know what exactly worked for me, but something definitely did. My pills are coming in the mail sometime this week, but I see no reason restarting taking Cymbalta, I’ll hold on to them and give them to my doc, no hell, I’ll flush them. I’ll keep you updated about my recovery from Cymbalta. I do not typically post on forums, but I thought this might be helpful for somebody. And by the way I was going to go see my doc early this week if I still felt as miserable as I felt last week. But if my self medication regiment works, I will wait till my regular follow-up appointment 2 months down the road.

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

peema:

The people that have tried using a longer half life anti depressant to help with the Cymbalta withdrawal have noted that the awful withdrawal symptoms go away. They will use Prozac or other anti depressants for two weeks to two months. I'm sure your supplements and otc meds helped too, but it seems you have the key with the support of the other anti depressant. If I were to withdraw again, knowing what I know now, I would do it with the help of another anti depressant. It takes much less time and is much easier on you and those around you. All of this is based on the postings from this forum and another I visit. I'm no doctor.

When your Cymbalta comes, please don't flush it. It will get into the water supply. Your doctors office can dispose of it or the company that fills your prescription will.

No matter what, I am so glad you are feeling better! Let us know how long you stay on the other anti depressant and how you do as you wean from it. It is very good information for people who are visiting during their withdrawal to have. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.....Houdi

#3 peema

peema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 120mg of Cymbalta for one year. I had to quit cold turkey because I ran out before I was able to get my mail order filled in. I am on day 8.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:28 AM

today is day 10 without cymbalta and day 4 since starting self medicating. Still no zaps. No problem with sleeping, though it's harder to get up in the morning. I will try going to bed earlier. I talked to my doc yesterday, he approved my selfmedication.
The other thing is I've got common cold symptoms since yesterday. I think it's a coinsidence.

#4 renee

renee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am withdrawing from Cymbalta. I needed some help.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

how the heck are you now?

#5 tired

tired

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am trying to wean myself off cymbalta as I have been diagnosed with lymphomatoid drug eruptions caused by my lymph system being poisoned by this medication and others that the doctor has had me on for years. Need support and help.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

I am just starting the weaning-off process. The doc has had me on Cymbalta (60 mg) for 6 years along with several other meds (none for depression). My neurologist prescribed the Cymbalta for nerve damage/pain (Trigeminal neuralgia).
I found out I have a rare lymph reaction now to the combo of meds so I really need to be off this drug. However, I skipped yesterday and felt great. Took the Cymbalta today and feel absolutely lousy. I am really worried about this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel a little dizzy, disoriented, etc. But worse today after taking the Cymbalta.

#6 peema

peema

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

how the heck are you now?

It's been 3 weeks and no withdrawal symptoms. The cold was just that.
The last 3-4 days I have been depressed, but I nothing close to the original suicidal depression a year ago. I have been traveling a lot and may be irregular schedule and lack of routine affect me more than I thought it would be. I am planning on making an effort to eat/sleep/live right and hope to get undepressed.

Anyway, my cold turkey experiment seemed to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users