• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Britt

Britt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weening off of Cymbalta and would like to know what to anticipate regarding side effects

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Let me start by saying that Cymbalta, in partnership with many answered prayers, has quite possibly saved my life. Long story short, Cymbalta was mY second shot at anti-depressants that WORKED. First was Paxil for four years, then after suffering from severe depression after getting off paxil I tried basically EVERYTHING........Cymbalta was the only thing that worked. After 10 years, I am in a good place. I took 60 mgs of cymbalta for 7 years, and am now weaning off of it. I have taken 30 mgs daily, and now I am taking 30 mgs every other day.
WHOA.
Withdrawl wasn't an issue while taking 30 mgs daily. Now that I am taking it every other day, I feel insane. I have OUT OF THE ORDINARY THOUGHTS (not suicidal, just WEIRD). . . I constantly feel like I am listening to myself talk, and having an out of body experience. Not to mention.. I haven't gotten a traffic ticket in 6 years, nor have I ever been in a car accident. In the past ten days I have almost been in two accidents... I know that getting off of the medicine is for the best, because I am finally FEELING again.. But, I am really scared. I finally have a good job, and I don't want to complicate it .. But, at the same time, I can no longer stand being medicated. Is there ANY WAY to make this process easier?
I can hardly function!

#2 Britt

Britt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Weening off of Cymbalta and would like to know what to anticipate regarding side effects

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Thanks Joh. I very much appreciate the advice!

#3 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:57 AM

Let me start by saying that Cymbalta, in partnership with many answered prayers, has quite possibly saved my life. Long story short, Cymbalta was mY second shot at anti-depressants that WORKED. First was Paxil for four years, then after suffering from severe depression after getting off paxil I tried basically EVERYTHING........Cymbalta was the only thing that worked. After 10 years, I am in a good place. I took 60 mgs of cymbalta for 7 years, and am now weaning off of it. I have taken 30 mgs daily, and now I am taking 30 mgs every other day.
WHOA.
Withdrawl wasn't an issue while taking 30 mgs daily. Now that I am taking it every other day, I feel insane. I have OUT OF THE ORDINARY THOUGHTS (not suicidal, just WEIRD). . . I constantly feel like I am listening to myself talk, and having an out of body experience. Not to mention.. I haven't gotten a traffic ticket in 6 years, nor have I ever been in a car accident. In the past ten days I have almost been in two accidents... I know that getting off of the medicine is for the best, because I am finally FEELING again.. But, I am really scared. I finally have a good job, and I don't want to complicate it .. But, at the same time, I can no longer stand being medicated. Is there ANY WAY to make this process easier?
I can hardly function!

If you don't mind me asking, why are you quitting Cymbalta if it is the only anti depressent that has ever worked? I take it for nerve pain and have my own reasons for wanting to quit.

#4 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to get this toxin out of my body!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

WHOA.
I can hardly function!

If it's working for you.....I would be inclined to stay on it. If you feel it's making your emotions steady and you don't mind the side effects I, myself, would much prefer that to this weaning off crap. I am weaning due to cost and side effects....it's a personal decision obviously but if things are good why rock the boat. :)

#5 K-Allstar

K-Allstar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to stop taking Cymbalta, after 3 years.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi Britt, I found Cymbalta to be really the only thing that helped me, as well. I took 120 mg :o for the past 6 mos (increased from 60 mg after 2 years.) I decided to wean myself off. I have tried- on one day, off the next but I think it caused more side effects for me. I cut my does in half and started taking 60 mg. everyday, I did this for 2 weeks. Next I went down to 30 mg. I have been doing this for almost 2 weeks. This transition has been the most difficult for me. I will probably stay at this dose until I feel somewhat normal :blink: I understand what you say when you describe the weird side effects. I am having a difficult time remembering a lot of things (short term.) I can only describe it as either being drunk or suffering from a bad hangover :rolleyes: either way I am not myself. I am going to keep taking B vitamins and other supplements that I find help take the edge off and at least allow me to function. Good luck!

#6 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hi Kelly,

I hope that you got your meds in the mail as going without all together can be painful.

I would often take 90mg for a week each month and then take 60mg at all other times. There were times that I would take 90mg all the time for months on end. Dropping down to 60mg never seemed to be a problem......even going back and forth.

I appreciate the tip about other sources of meds. Fortunately my insurance will still pay for the cymbalta. There was a point this fall where I wasn't sure if that was the case so I began prepping for the time when it didn't. I have come so far and have gotten down to 17mg that I don't want to turn around now. I enjoy not sweating profusesly, experiencing feelings both good and bad, having some motivation not to mention an inkling of a sex drive returning.

I am thankful that it did it's job when I needed it but am going to try seeing how I feel on the Wellbutrin alone. Healthy eating, exercise and stress reduction (if possible) also. I know that if things don't go well there are alternatives out there.....I don't know if I would ever go back on Cymbalta.

Thankfully I am starting to feel better on this lower dosage and the withdrawals seem to be mitigated by the prozac that I started. Everyday is a crap shoot. B)

It's great to know that there is support and people here who understand. :D

#7 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Kelly,

You deserve a medal for going to Walmart! That places requires medication just to be able to handle it on a regular old day. :lol:

I hope that getting a little bit of the 'balta' will give you a bit of ease in symptoms. It's amazing that once you take that pill the dizziness, nausea, head achy, crappy feelings lessen.

I have to say that I have been pretty lucky this week when I dropped down past 20mg that I am still feeling good. I tell myself not to get too excited though because 1. I am still on it and 2. the other shoe could drop at any minute.

I really think that taking the prozac while I am weaning has been helping. I know that it's not the panacea for everything or everyone but it seems to be helping me right now. I might even stay on it through the winter months until the weather changes and I am able to get out into the sunlight more. Winters in the Midwest are brutal and not exactly a real mood enhancer.

As a woman this weaning has been even harder. What was supposed to help with PMDD has caused it to get worse. As I have weaned I have been getting my period 2x a month. How is that for adding insult to injury? :P

This whole experience has opened my eyes to how sensitive our bodies and especially our brains are. I really hadn't given too much thought to exactly what these drugs do to my brain and body. I am certainly well versed now after spending hours researching and reading. Like so many others Cymbalta really helped when I needed it but there is no reason why it should essentially 'break' us when trying to stand on our own.

I hope that your feeling better and don't throw any more fruit tonight. :P

#8 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I had a horrible time weaning off 30mg of cymbalta that I was on for years. The 'shocks' thru my head were the most horrible side effect. I got thru it by taking elavil 50mg once a day as I weaned down from cymbalta. I literally broke the capsules open and took one less bead a day. I finally got totally off of it that way. I hope it helps someone else as it is awful.

Is elavil an older tricyclic med? It sounds familiar...... :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users