#1 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi everyone, Ive read a lot of stories about the weening process and I too went through it. I have been cymbalta free almost two months now and it seems the worst feelings started about 6 weeks post cymbalta. Has anyone else found this? I thought I was in the clear for a few short days but then the nausea became much worse followed by anxiety and suicidal thoughts that I've never had before. I know a dr would say this is because the cymbalta is out of my system and I need to be medicated but I think this is still cymbalta related. I was on it for 3 years.

#2 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:
    trying to get this toxin out of my body!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi everyone, Ive read a lot of stories about the weening process and I too went through it. I have been cymbalta free almost two months now and it seems the worst feelings started about 6 weeks post cymbalta. Has anyone else found this? I thought I was in the clear for a few short days but then the nausea became much worse followed by anxiety and suicidal thoughts that I've never had before. I know a dr would say this is because the cymbalta is out of my system and I need to be medicated but I think this is still cymbalta related. I was on it for 3 years.

How long did you take to wean? What dosage did you eventually stop at?

#3 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

How long did you take to wean? What dosage did you eventually stop at?

Hi Pam, I think I weaned for about 2 months. I just went to 15 mgs for a few weeks then stopped. I didn't have a dr so I followed what some others suggested. I went through the nausea and brain zaps, irritability etc. But things started to get really bad on dec 24th which was probably about 6 weeks since I had stopped taking it totally. I have a dr appointment this coming Friday.

#4 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

That sucks that it came back 6 weeks after you stopped taking the 'balta'.

I hope that the Dr. can give you some answers or at least a path to go down to feel better.

#5 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, it's just all so confusing. I think maybe it just takes the brain a long time to heal from ssri's, and right now it's tweaking out so to speak. I went on meds for anxiety but the anxiety and dark thoughts and never ending nausea right now seems like something much more. Hope I get answers soon. I'm glad I found this site!

#6 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks, it's just all so confusing. I think maybe it just takes the brain a long time to heal from ssri's, and right now it's tweaking out so to speak. I went on meds for anxiety but the anxiety and dark thoughts and never ending nausea right now seems like something much more. Hope I get answers soon. I'm glad I found this site!

It's kinda scary when you think that this little pill has so much control over us. I hate what it has done to my brain. Where were you getting your cymbalta from prior to your new Dr?

#7 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

Dear AnnieMac:
I am not a doctor. Just a depression suffered who took the medication for 5 years. I just talk based on my own experience and the things I´ve read on this site.
It seems that people who go cold turkey, tend to have relapses more than people who wean very slowly.
You say you quit altogether when you were at 15mg. (for me, that would have been like going cold turkey). It is amazing how every single bead of this drug has an effect.
I am so sad, confused, shocked to hear that the worst feelings started 6 weeks post cymb. One would think that symptoms should get better over time, not worse. What shocks me the most is that you are having suicidal thoughts which you never had before. It also happened to me, when I started weaning. I´ve suffered from major depression for 5 years, and I had all the typical depression symptoms EXCEPT for suicidal thoughts. When I started weaning, one day I got very invasive suicidal thoughts. However, they have dissapeared (at least for now).

I know what you mean when you say that a doctor would tell you that it is because of the lack of antidepressant and one needs to be medicated. But like you, I feel that it was an effect of cymb. The fact is, that you are having the symptoms (whether they are from your initial illness or cymb related),

#8 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

I was going to a clinic for a long time because I had no insurance. I wasn't treated well there and once when I asked the dr about going off the meds he just said no. A friend of mine had a huge supply of cymbalta she gave me so I didn't even go see that dr anymore. When I decided to go off it I figured I could do it own my own because I didn't want to be discouraged by that dr again. Obviously this was very foolish of me. It seems to affect everyone differently though. Some people don't have bad withdrawals at all?

Thanks for your reply Cookie. I understand now after reading so many posts that every little bead is a bastard! I was stupid to think 15mg was as low as I needed to go. Yet after i stopped at the 15 things wernt so bad. I was exercising again desperate to get off the weight it made me gain, and the nausea was withstand able for a lil while. Then the nausea got so bad For about two solid weeks I swore I had to be pregnant, Xmas eve I woke up in a panic attack. Then a few decent days on and off followed. But nearly every night last week i was in full panic with the darkest thoughts i have ever had, my mind and body completely out of control. I couldnt eat for days. Today somehow things seem to be improving. At this very moment dare i say i feel ok. Tomorrow could be back to hell for all I know. I did have suicidal thoughts one other time and that was when i was starting zoloft many years ago, but that was nothing as bad as this. Ironic that my worst symptoms are actually from the "meds".

#9 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

I understand now after reading so many posts that every little bead is a bastard!

Isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) B) B) B) B)

For a lot of us stopping at 15mg would be like going cold turkey. I know that I am a 'bead counter' and that's how I have weaned. I am down to 45 beads but am wondering what it's going to be like in a few days when there aren't any beads left.

Talk to your new Dr. maybe Cymbalta isn't the right drug for you.....maybe they can give you something else to make you feel better yet not be the devil that Cymbalta is.

#10 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'm 29 and started meds around 24 so like a lot of people in here I want to know how I feel drug free. Zoloft worked for a lil bit, then I tried lexapro which did nothing for me and have been on cymbalta longer than anything. I'm ok with the dr putting me on another medication eventually if I need it. For right now I think I won't know who I am unless I struggle through this a while longer. But shit for sure what other drugs may lie in my future they will be lil pansies compared to cymbalta......I read an article about users who weren't even taking it for depression, just pain, committed suicide. This stuff really needs to come off the market!!!!

#11 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

I'm 29 and started meds around 24 so like a lot of people in here I want to know how I feel drug free. Zoloft worked for a lil bit, then I tried lexapro which did nothing for me and have been on cymbalta longer than anything. I'm ok with the dr putting me on another medication eventually if I need it. For right now I think I won't know who I am unless I struggle through this a while longer. But shit for sure what other drugs may lie in my future they will be lil pansies compared to cymbalta......I read an article about users who weren't even taking it for depression, just pain, committed suicide. This stuff really needs to come off the market!!!!

I have heard that Effexor is a bitch to get off of as well. It's an SRNI, same as the 'balta'. Supposedly Paxil is hard to get off of too but I thought it was easier than this. I am not anti - antidepressant as I am still on Wellbutrin and Prozac but hell if I will ever go on a medication that hasn't been on the market and studied for years and years.

#12 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

I have heard that Effexor is a bitch to get off of as well. It's an SRNI, same as the 'balta'. Supposedly Paxil is hard to get off of too but I thought it was easier than this. I am not anti - antidepressant as I am still on Wellbutrin and Prozac but hell if I will ever go on a medication that hasn't been on the market and studied for years and years.

Pamela what are you taking the meds for? Mainly depression? Do yuo feel like once the Cymbalta is out of your system those two meds are the right combination for you?

#13 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Pamela what are you taking the meds for? Mainly depression? Do yuo feel like once the Cymbalta is out of your system those two meds are the right combination for you?

I take medications for depression. I have been on the Wellbutrin for nearly 9 years now and always had something else added into that. I too have tried Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac with the Wellbutrin over the years. I know that I will probably stay on the Wellbutrin for the long term. I actually only added the Prozac to ease the withdrawal symptoms from Cymbatla. I have read that many people have had success by using Prozac to wean off Cymbalta. I think that it's really helping me wean down but only time will tell once I am totally off the balta. I will probably remain on the Prozac until the spring......at least until I can get outside more often and get some sun.

#14 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I was going to a clinic for a long time because I had no insurance. I wasn't treated well there and once when I asked the dr about going off the meds he just said no. A friend of mine had a huge supply of cymbalta she gave me so I didn't even go see that dr anymore. When I decided to go off it I figured I could do it own my own because I didn't want to be discouraged by that dr again. Obviously this was very foolish of me. It seems to affect everyone differently though. Some people don't have bad withdrawals at all?

Thanks for your reply Cookie. I understand now after reading so many posts that every little bead is a bastard! I was stupid to think 15mg was as low as I needed to go. Yet after i stopped at the 15 things wernt so bad. I was exercising again desperate to get off the weight it made me gain, and the nausea was withstand able for a lil while. Then the nausea got so bad For about two solid weeks I swore I had to be pregnant, Xmas eve I woke up in a panic attack. Then a few decent days on and off followed. But nearly every night last week i was in full panic with the darkest thoughts i have ever had, my mind and body completely out of control. I couldnt eat for days. Today somehow things seem to be improving. At this very moment dare i say i feel ok. Tomorrow could be back to hell for all I know. I did have suicidal thoughts one other time and that was when i was starting zoloft many years ago, but that was nothing as bad as this. Ironic that my worst symptoms are actually from the "meds".

I have also had the darkest thoughts. Mood swings have been one of the main withdrawal symptoms for me. It also happens to me that I seem to be improving, but then I have another bad and dark day. Then again I have a perfectly normal day

#15 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

Today I was depressed again, but what I would consider normal depression not the really dark place I was in a few days ago. but it's weird because it will ease up for a lil while. It's all over the damn place. Another reason I went off cymbalta was I want to start a family. I needed to know if my anxiety/ depression was manageable off it. Someone told me wellbutrin can be taken during pregnancy. I really don't think I would want to take any meds during a pregnancy but do you know anything about that? It's really depressing just thinking I'll always have to be medicated and pregnancy isn't an option for me.

#16 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Today I was depressed again, but what I would consider normal depression not the really dark place I was in a few days ago. but it's weird because it will ease up for a lil while. It's all over the damn place. Another reason I went off cymbalta was I want to start a family. I needed to know if my anxiety/ depression was manageable off it. Someone told me wellbutrin can be taken during pregnancy. I really don't think I would want to take any meds during a pregnancy but do you know anything about that? It's really depressing just thinking I'll always have to be medicated and pregnancy isn't an option for me.

I wouldn't let the belief that you won't be able to have a family because of medication cause you to be depressed right now. You should talk with your OB when you decide that you want to start trying for a family. There are so many women on medication and of child bearing age that I am sure you will be able to find an option that works for you with or without medication. Keep thinking good thoughts......get yourself over this Cymbalta hurdle and the rest will work itself out. :)

#17 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Pamela :) I know I have to just focus on getting well again and figure the rest out later. It's just when I was younger and this all started happening I never imagined dealing with it for so long.

#18 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Dear Anniemac:

It is amazing to know there are other people in the world going through the same issues as me. Having a child, is something that I always doubt because of my depression/anxiety and medication. Like you I´ve thought that “pregnancy isn´t an option for me” and that makes me even more depressed. I know that having a child brings a lot of hormonal changes and I feel my body can´t take that. Is not that I am planning to have a child right now, but is something I would like to do someday. However I totally agree with Pam. I am sure your OB could help you to have options that work for you.

Anniemac: it also happened to me, that I was young when all this happened, and never thought I would have to deal it for so long.

#19 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Dear Anniemac:

It is amazing to know there are other people in the world going through the same issues as me. Having a child, is something that I always doubt because of my depression/anxiety and medication. Like you I´ve thought that “pregnancy isn´t an option for me” and that makes me even more depressed. I know that having a child brings a lot of hormonal changes and I feel my body can´t take that. Is not that I am planning to have a child right now, but is something I would like to do someday. However I totally agree with Pam. I am sure your OB could help you to have options that work for you.

Anniemac: it also happened to me, that I was young when all this happened, and never thought I would have to deal it for so long.

We seem to have a lot in common Cookie! What age did you start struggling with depression/ anxiety? The anxiety started for me at 15, but I was living in a very stressful home so it made perfect sense. The depression I think became a problem in my early 20s, although it was definitely there before then. I've never had a decent dr! Hope that changes very soon!

#20 Red.Headed.Blonde

Red.Headed.Blonde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTN
  • why_joining:
    Interested in titrating off Cymbalta.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

AnnieMac, I am having those back and forth withdrawal symptoms. I just started my journey back about 4 days ago. I was going to just take one every other day, but I felt so normal that I decided to skip 2 days and see what happens. The last 2 days have been normal. Then last night I had a crying spell while listening to "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera. So this morning when I woke up, I thought I had better take one. But I've been getting teary eyed off and on all day even with taking it. My BF called today. Said he received my card in the mail today. He was driving through a lot of traffic and I tried to excuse him for not saying "Thanks" or "That was really sweet" or something he would normally say, but he didn't. So when the call ended, I teared up again. I imagined him just throwing it in the trash and all kinds of crazy crap. This shouldn't be happening with me taking a pill today, after skipping 2 days without one?? That's messed up! I dread this. I haven't had any physical symptoms except diarrhea, but I'm sure that is from the diet I started this week. Eating lots of fresh veggies and fruits. I haven't had any brain zaps, and I keep waiting for one. Weaning from Serzone gave me brain zaps a few years ago, so I am familiar with those. I just don't like feeling so empty. I work from home doing medical transcription, so I have little personal contact with people. My mom and I text every day, and my BF and I text, but it's not the same. He lives 1-1/2 hrs from me, so our meetings are not every weekend. I'm glad I found this site. Sure could use some friends right now. I hate welling up with tears over the slightest thing. On the other hand, it's nice to feel some normal emotion. I felt like I was just numb to stuff. Haven't cried in a long time. Welp, this is my 2 cents worth. Wishing all of you health and happiness, and SUCCESS GETTING OFF THIS ABOMINABLE PILL.

#21 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

There is a ton of support here. I spend a lot of time on the board, especially the last few days as I have been home with my son after he had his adenoids out. There are tons of people on here who understand. You can always come here for support or encouragement. Email me or personal message me. It's gotta be hard to be alone during this crappy time.......
Just be strong and keep moving forward.......you will do it! :)

Pam

#22 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

We seem to have a lot in common Cookie! What age did you start struggling with depression/ anxiety? The anxiety started for me at 15, but I was living in a very stressful home so it made perfect sense. The depression I think became a problem in my early 20s, although it was definitely there before then. I've never had a decent dr! Hope that changes very soon!

Dear AnnieMac:
I was first prescribed with Depression (mild) and Anxiety (panic attacks) when I was 27 years old. I was symptom free for a few years. When I was 32years old I was hit by major depression with psychotic symptoms.
I keep on asking myself if I was depressed earlier, but was never diagnosed.

#23 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Trying desparately to get off this crazy drug! I know my doc is only going by info he gets from the pharm rep but I wish I had never been on this! Had 4 family members die tragically in 14 months and remaining 2 brothers were causing huge issues for me. So after feeling physically ill for so long I went to the doc at end of May 2010, and this was the drug of choice he put me on. I'm guessing mainly because he was putting me on other things as well for other issues until my symptoms could be sorted out (which they slowly are and those drugs are now almost gone), and he was keeping my expenses down by giving me samples. I was 30 mg for quite a few months because it just made me so nauseous (which is when he gave me Dexliant which is really helpful by the way for stomach acids, reflux, etc, although I wouldn't have had that issue if not the Cymbalta!) Then he bumped me up to 60 mg. I was only on that 2 or 3 months when I told him I wanted off it completely. To tell the truth, I don't think it made a lot of difference for me mentally or phsycially going to the 60. It was really all to get my seratonin (sp?) levels up so I wouldn't feel so tired. Anyway, he gave me some more 30 mgs and said take one every other day for 2 weeks then stop. Yeah right! So I called the nurse for more and explained it wasn't as easy as they say to stop without nauseousness and brain zaps (dear lord - brain zaps! - who'd have thought!). I just called for 2 more weeks worth & the nurse I talked to this time totally understood that it was going to take awhile - thank goodness! I've been trying to do this since a week or so before Christmas. She didn't want me to try to take anything else that I would have to get off later but thought it a good idea to just keep emptying beads. Here's what I really need help with - along with brain zaps (& zings! haha) I am so terribly exhausted!! Is anybody else feeling extremely tired trying to get off this stuff?? It's really affecting my job. I'm super cranky although it never helps when you're given other peoples jobs to do from other depts, but I should be able to handle that without losing my job which I fear I will if I remain exhausted and cranky. I went home an hour early yesterday cuz I was so tired & tried to nap but it didn't go well. So got up and was dizzy and nauseous all night which was unfortunate as it was an evening of just me & my daughter before she goes back to college but I made myself spend decent time with her. Just wish I felt better. I think I emptied too much the last couple days which is part of the problem, but still, I just don't know if I should feel so darn exhausted???

Yeah it sucks.....but according to the survivors on this board it WILL get better.
That's great that your nurse understands how you are feeling and how difficult it is to get off of.
It's such a pain in the butt but sometimes counting each pellet or weighing is the only way to ensure that you are getting the same dosage or dropping by the amount that you want. I think that us bead counters will agree that it's a pain but we have all come up with our own system that works.

#24 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Yeah it sucks.....but according to the survivors on this board it WILL get better.
That's great that your nurse understands how you are feeling and how difficult it is to get off of.
It's such a pain in the butt but sometimes counting each pellet or weighing is the only way to ensure that you are getting the same dosage or dropping by the amount that you want. I think that us bead counters will agree that it's a pain but we have all come up with our own system that works.

I love the name "wannabnormal"! Take your time weening. I wish i knew what i do now when i stopped taking it two months ago. Yesterday I was feeling pretty well. Today i woke up with anxiety again and am sitting here dreading the rest of the day. I'm still waiting for some possible health insurance so i haven't seen a dr yet. Hopefully today I will hear something on that. I was going to pay out of pocket to see a dr today but it was a lot of money for me to part with right now. I figured what can he really do for me right now anyway? Not sure I'm ready to take another med right now. This anxiety and depression is so completely random. The other day all the sudden at around 8 pm every bad feeling lifted and i felt so good, now I can't see the light again.

#25 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

I love the name "wannabnormal"! Take your time weening. I wish i knew what i do now when i stopped taking it two months ago. Yesterday I was feeling pretty well. Today i woke up with anxiety again and am sitting here dreading the rest of the day. I'm still waiting for some possible health insurance so i haven't seen a dr yet. Hopefully today I will hear something on that. I was going to pay out of pocket to see a dr today but it was a lot of money for me to part with right now. I figured what can he really do for me right now anyway? Not sure I'm ready to take another med right now. This anxiety and depression is so completely random. The other day all the sudden at around 8 pm every bad feeling lifted and i felt so good, now I can't see the light again.

AnnieMac....

Try getting some exercise. Even just walking.......anything to get your body moving. It always makes me feel SO much better.

#26 Anniemac

Anniemac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

AnnieMac....

Try getting some exercise. Even just walking.......anything to get your body moving. It always makes me feel SO much better.

I do walk/jog as much as i can. The last two days i had good workouts. The past two or so weeks workouts have been off and on depending on how i feel. Hopefully this bad feeling will lift soon and i can eat something and go for a walk. My instinct is to go back to bed but sleep doesn't happen when i feel this bad anyway.

#27 pamela

pamela

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I do walk/jog as much as i can. The last two days i had good workouts. The past two or so weeks workouts have been off and on depending on how i feel. Hopefully this bad feeling will lift soon and i can eat something and go for a walk. My instinct is to go back to bed but sleep doesn't happen when i feel this bad anyway.

I do Turbo Jam (kick boxing from Beachbody) and I picture the Cymbalta being sweat out of my pores. I dread working out but am always so glad when I finish. I have read a lot of studies that say that exercise is as effective as antidepressants with low level depression. I know that my depression is deeper than exercise can cure but it sure helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users