4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah J

Sarah J

Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

The commercials for Benadryl say that it is the "histamine" blocker. Many people take benadryl to help with withdrawals and say that it helps. Personally, it did nothing for me. I looked up what a histamine is and here is what I found:

H3 histamine receptor - Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine

Greybeard, you are the resident master of research, I don't understand as much of the brain chemistry as you seem to because you do a great job of taking medical information and translating it into regular people language.

From what I read in the article, it is basically performing some of the same functions on your brain as prescription antidepressants??? Still don't fully understand???

And some other people say that Dramamine (motion sickness medication) helps. That also has diphenhydramine in it (what Benadryl is).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramamine

The motion sickness drug of my choice is Bonine, which is hard to find but an over the counter drug. I looked it up and it is less invasive than Dramamine which could be a good option for those who have the motion sickness/nausea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonine

I did not take the motion sickness medication in withdrawal, but have been offshore and know that Bonine will work on nausea, and not make you sleepy like Dramamine. By the time I found out that people used it to get over withdrawal, fortunately my nausea had passed, but maybe this will help somebody.

#2 kevin71246

kevin71246

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

Ok, here are the links I found with very interesting information. I've been on a hunt for a long time for allergy natural cures as well, so I'm dual-purposed in my research. My main belief or theory is that the FDA/government is all about $ and is lying through their teeth regarding cures. All they do is sell drugs to treat symptoms, never a cure as they wouldn't get any continual $ from a cure. A lot of people believe this.

http://www.causeof.o...o.htm#Allergies
http://www.enzymestu...tsensorygut.htm

I'm kind of upset because I just read these articles 2 days ago and completly forgot what I was going to say, but I was very excited whlie I was reading because of all the interesting information.

The question on whether or not we need more serotonin, less, or just a balance is something I'm not quite sure of. One thing I did conclude from these is that too much of this will obviously make you happy, too little and your sad/emotional, and a normal amount will allow you to be best concentrated & focused in what you're doing. The best way to increase this level is to eat wheats (wheatbread), maybe a slice an hour to sustain a high level to lift your mood. I haven't tried this yet, but have been taking the fish oil (Omega3,6,9) and B complex. Since I got back on after the 3 day withdrawal so I can slowly ween off, I haven't had any bad effects....yet! This is day 2 of my 15mg (was on 30mg for 40 days). I really feel bad for those that were on this for a longer period of time and higher doses.

#3 secrity

secrity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    To talk about withdrawal from Cymbalta. I had been taking 60 mg /a day for about a year and I have been taking 30mg/day for the past week -- and I find it difficult to concentrate enough to write this.

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

Sarah;

Dramamine II (not the original Dramamine) contains the same active ingredient as Bonine. Some places also sell generic Meclizine and I have found it at CVS. Some very closely related drugs are buclizine, and cyclizine.

Some brand names that contain meclizine, buclizine, or orcyclizine are:

Bonine
Bonamine
Dramamine II
Marezine
Marzine
Meclicot
Medivert

#4 kathyl

kathyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • why_joining:
    Recovering from withdrawals from Cymbalta 2010. Currently 2015

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Sarah;

Dramamine II (not the original Dramamine) contains the same active ingredient as Bonine. Some places also sell generic Meclizine and I have found it at CVS. Some very closely related drugs are buclizine, and cyclizine.

Some brand names that contain meclizine, buclizine, or orcyclizine are:

Bonine
Bonamine
Dramamine II
Marezine
Marzine
Meclicot
Medivert

I finally took bonine today and chucked my guts all day. I am in my fourth week of weaning and my withdrawals are worse than ever. I have one hour times when I am not as nauseas during the day. I see my doctor tomorrow, maybe I need inpatient help with the withdrawals. Or else I will end up in a coma from my sugars crashing too low. I can't keep anything down

#5 DLAO83

DLAO83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am getting off of cymbalta and would like to hear and respond to others

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have Meclizine (like Bonine or Dramamine) for dizziness anyways. I would say that at least for me, it DOES work. I have been taking the Benadryl on and off but I haven't figured out if it's doing anything yet, but I've heard that said a few times out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users