• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

I am going through the process of weaning off Cymbalta. What a nightmare drug!! I took Effexor 37.5 mg for about 4 years and noticed a slow weight gain (about 15 lbs.) over the years. I never thought it was the medication until I started reading some information on the web about Effexor side effects. When I tried to wean off Effexor, the side effects were worse than the drug so I went back on it. I asked my Dr. to switch me to another med that might be easier to wean off and she switched me to Cymbalta 30 mg. I gained 10 lbs in 5 weeks and knew immediately it must be the med. So now I'm following the advice of another poster to this site (sorry, can't remember who) and so far I'm doing okay. For the past week, I've taken 15mg each morning along with Super B Complex (Nature Made) and 5-HTP (Natrol). I take the B Complex and 5-HTP in the morning and at night before bed and it really helps. I'm getting ready to step down again to 7.5 mg starting tomorrow and have my fingers crossed that all goes well. I'm hoping after a week at 7.5 mg, I can quit all together without stepping down again.

My question is to all of you that gained weight on Cymbalta and then quit the med. Did the weight naturally come off or did you have to work really hard? How long did it take and what did you do to lose the weight? I'm so frustrated because I wanted to lose a few pounds before going on Cymbalta and now my situation is even worse than before. My kids keep asking me to go to the pool with them but I don't even want to put on a bathing suit. Arghhhhhh!

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

I gained 50lbs on cymbalta. When I started weaning the weight started to naturally come off. However, since quitting the medication was part of me, trying to be healthier, I also started to eat more healthy and exercise. Nutrition and exercise, help me to wean.
I got very close to 0mg, but had to updose because I wasn´t feeling well in the last drop. Since I updose, I´ve gained weight.

#3 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. There is hope that when I am off this crazy med, that the weight will begin to naturally come off. Just a suggestion ... try taking 5-HTP if you are not already. I'm taking that plus a Super B Complex vitamin both in the morning and again at night and I am having no terrible side effects from the weaning process. I stepped down from 30 mg to 15mg for 1 week, then today stepped down again to 7.5 mg. So far, so good. I feel a little foggy and tired, but that's it.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hello Bigmamma:
I´m definitely going to try 5-Htp but not while I am taking cymbalta. I´ll wait until I am completely off. Because I´ve read both together can have interactions and produce serotonin syndrome. I am down to 4,8mg. However I am going slow. I make weekly small drops to let my body/brain adjust. Could you describe what you meant by "foggy and tired"??? I ask you this because I had extreme fatigue and horrible brain fog for 2 months. Surprinsingly it went away when I started B complex and fish oil. I never got to know what was causing the fatigue and brain fog. I didn´t relate it to cymbalta withdrawal. I think it was something else. But now that you mention it I would like you to describe what you felt.

#5 bigmamma

bigmamma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

Brain fog for me is that I just can't concentrate. I find myself staring at my computer for hours without accomplishing anything. As for the fatigue, I just want to sleep all day. I force myself to stay up, but I'm not at all productive.

Now you've scared me. What is serotonin syndrome? I can't imagine not taking the 5HTP. I thought that is what was helping me get through this withdrawal, but maybe I'm wrong.

#6 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Brain Fog for me is feeling something weird in my brain, like it is heavier, I feel confused, it is hard to speak (find words to speak), it´s like energy/blood is not flowing properly in my brain. Fatigue for me can be general or it can come in attacks
I am not a doctor, but serotonin syndrome is having too much serotonin (when taking 2 medications that work on this same neurotrasmitter). But you are only taking 7,5mg so it shouldn´t be a problem. If 5-htp is working for you, keep on taking it. Just be cautious.

#7 meri

meri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

I have wanted to get off of cymbalta for a long time, but due to my work situation, I stayed on it - very toxic situation. After leaving the job, I am at 30 mg from 60 in a month. I am taking 10 balls out of the 60 mg capsules per week now which is 3.25 milligrams and that is all I can handle without getting horrible headaches. I am going to do that until I am off of the cymbalta. I gained 35 pounds on cymbalta. I was hoping that I could just cut down and lose weight, but my weight isn't dropping at all and I have started working out regularly and I am typically not a big eater. Fish oil helped with withdrawal. I read somewhere that the fish oil helps to make something that the brain isn't making when on anti-depressants and needs to start making again -(this comment is for the lady who was asking about brain fog as i have experienced that feeling, but I just looked at it as being sick from the withdrawals.) I wish the weight would just melt off, but it isn't even moving down. It is so frustrating.

#8 NYNYenjoyendure

NYNYenjoyendure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

I am also eager to hear if weight came down and how quickly after stopping the drug.

I am vain. Three years ago I started taking this drug because my life depended on it. I started secretly depositing money into my loved ones accounts not telling them that I was suicidal. Of course I will never ask for that money back. I started feeling better after being prescribed 60 Mgs and I have always been afraid to stop because I don't want to become suicidal and bankrupt again BUT I have consistently been gaining weight ever since and now THAT is making me feel horrible.

I have gained 40 lbs in three years and have always been an athlete. I eat egg whites when others have bagels, walk & run while I study when others are sitting, skip out on night out bc I can't handle the calories and haven't eating a piece of cake in years. I bike 30 miles at a time and do an average of four miles a day. Yet, my small 130 pound frame became 160 lbs without trying.
I'm scared to stop but I don't want to become 200 pounds next year and that is where I am headed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users