• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 Touchstone

Touchstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Holy cow...Just got to this site, cant believe it, its like I wrote a lot of the posts, they are all idenetical to what I am going through. On this drug for over 2 years, was at 90mg, I have been TOTALLY off it for almost a week now. The electrical jolts are really driving me to the edge of insanity. I have not slept for 5 days now (really). It feels like my head is on fire, I have been sitting with an ice pack for 3 days now. I have never experienced withdrawl from anything, now going through this is almost too much to handle. Makes me feel good to read posts about folks getting through all this. I had to leave a New Years Eve party (which is also my wedding anniversary), because of how bad I felt. Was getting angery, I told my wife we had to go I was about to lose it. My wife is great, very supportive, thank god. I will update as I get through this. The benefits I experienced on this drug are not worth the withdrawl I am now going through. Whoever put this site up and maintains it ty ty.

Welcome to the site, I have only been here a few days and it feels like it is the only thing keeping me from complete insanity.
I have been off 60mg cold turkey for 7 days. The head zaps dizziness and nausea are making me crazy,any movement around me
makes me go crazy.I wont drive, Im afraid to do anything. My family is trying to be very supportive, but they have no idea what I am going through.
Good luck,keep the updates coming!
Dawn

#62 Belphoebe

Belphoebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

Welcome to the site, I have only been here a few days and it feels like it is the only thing keeping me from complete insanity.
I have been off 60mg cold turkey for 7 days. The head zaps dizziness and nausea are making me crazy,any movement around me
makes me go crazy.I wont drive, Im afraid to do anything. My family is trying to be very supportive, but they have no idea what I am going through.
Good luck,keep the updates coming!
Dawn

Good luck to you both! Today is day 8 for me. Yesterday was pretty good - a few brain zaps, and they were much milder. I've been on vacation during my whole detox, until today, when I had to go back. Brain zaps got progressively worse as the day went on, and by the time I got to the gym this evening, were pretty much non-stop. I ended up in tears about halfway through my yoga workout, as much from the muscle spasms as from relief of the stress of the day.

It'll get better for all of us. We just have to hold on. If we give up now, we'll just have to start the nightmare all over again later. Keep up the good work!!

#63 isa

isa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

Good luck to you both! Today is day 8 for me. Yesterday was pretty good - a few brain zaps, and they were much milder. I've been on vacation during my whole detox, until today, when I had to go back. Brain zaps got progressively worse as the day went on, and by the time I got to the gym this evening, were pretty much non-stop. I ended up in tears about halfway through my yoga workout, as much from the muscle spasms as from relief of the stress of the day.

It'll get better for all of us. We just have to hold on. If we give up now, we'll just have to start the nightmare all over again later. Keep up the good work!!

I was on Cymbalta60mg for 2yrs and i decided to quit it in September,it took me over 3mths,and after my last pill of Prozac(coz i had to take 10mg for a week)i was feeling really good no stomache pain nothing just "brain flashing",but it wasn't bad.Im without pills for a month,and was good untill last Friday,i dont know what happen,actually i know i was before my period,so i had PMS,it was horrible i wasn't sleeping just cying,i was angry and irritated.I was feeling so bad emotionaly.I checked my blood pressure it was high,i got scared,that something is wrong with me,and i started panic,i felt like taking Cymbalta to get rid off those symptoms.I was so stressed out all day yesterday,today i woke up with a headache.Omg i think PMS made it worse i hope it will go away when i get my period.Im so frastruated that im ready to go back to my doc to ask for another antydepressant to make me feel better.

#64 Juliei

Juliei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hi everyone,

Am on Day 11 post-cymbalta. Isn't it weird how this withdrawal is so bad we count the days like alcoholics? I am starting to feel like perhaps there may be life after this drug. I texted the pdoc yesterday to let her know that I was struggling (I figured if my year end break was ruined at least let her vacation have a bit of inconvenience too). I asked about the prozac route or antihistamines or omega 3 supplements. Her response was that I should double the dose of the new anti-depressant to 'lift my mood'. How out of touch is that?! Yes I have alternated between crying and rage for a week now but with everything else that has come with the withdrawal my 'mood' is the least of it. I have not increased the new anti-depressant and will be stopping it as soon as I feel strong enough - this entire process has taken away any confidence that I have in doctors and I shall not be wasting any more money on a bunch of pill pushers. I recall the day 6 weeks ago when I saw her and she yawned while saying that we should switch to another anti-depressant if Cymbalta isn't working any more. She was so blase saying one week of 60mg, one week of 30mg and then stop it completely. She never warned me to expect anything like this. I would like to see her again to give her a serious piece of my mind and this has been anything but 'informed consent'but then I doubt it would have any impact. Can a doctor really understand if they haven't had to go through anything similar? Were I a doctor and someone were showing such bad symptoms I would have had them hospitalised and sleep therapy for two weeks.

And of course I can't help but wonder if there has been any permanent damage to my brain if it screwed up the chemistry so badly that stopping has caused all this.

Right now moving just my eyes causes brain zapping and I have no energy - its like I have a bad case of flu and am all aches and pains, even turning my neck hurts. I am having trouble putting a proper sentence together, especially speaking, so have kind of just shut down. I feel like it would help a lot to get out of the house for a little bit but can't seem to get myself moving. The skin itching, shakes, and pins and needs in my arms and hands are still there. But overall everything isn't as bad as it was a couple of days ago. My low point was day 7 and it felt like there was no hope in sight. I have no idea how people still work while going through this - being able to just lie down every couple of hours and shut off from any external stimulus has been a life saver. And flat cola has helped my stomach. I don't think I have eaten a proper meal in the six weeks since I started lowering the dosage and my stomach went crazy.

So my advice is to rest as much as you can. Even though you can't sleep just try shut everything out and give your brain some time to fix itself.

#65 Belphoebe

Belphoebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Am on Day 11 post-cymbalta. Isn't it weird how this withdrawal is so bad we count the days like alcoholics? I am starting to feel like perhaps there may be life after this drug. I texted the pdoc yesterday to let her know that I was struggling (I figured if my year end break was ruined at least let her vacation have a bit of inconvenience too). I asked about the prozac route or antihistamines or omega 3 supplements. Her response was that I should double the dose of the new anti-depressant to 'lift my mood'. How out of touch is that?! Yes I have alternated between crying and rage for a week now but with everything else that has come with the withdrawal my 'mood' is the least of it. I have not increased the new anti-depressant and will be stopping it as soon as I feel strong enough - this entire process has taken away any confidence that I have in doctors and I shall not be wasting any more money on a bunch of pill pushers. I recall the day 6 weeks ago when I saw her and she yawned while saying that we should switch to another anti-depressant if Cymbalta isn't working any more. She was so blase saying one week of 60mg, one week of 30mg and then stop it completely. She never warned me to expect anything like this. I would like to see her again to give her a serious piece of my mind and this has been anything but 'informed consent'but then I doubt it would have any impact. Can a doctor really understand if they haven't had to go through anything similar? Were I a doctor and someone were showing such bad symptoms I would have had them hospitalised and sleep therapy for two weeks.

And of course I can't help but wonder if there has been any permanent damage to my brain if it screwed up the chemistry so badly that stopping has caused all this.

Right now moving just my eyes causes brain zapping and I have no energy - its like I have a bad case of flu and am all aches and pains, even turning my neck hurts. I am having trouble putting a proper sentence together, especially speaking, so have kind of just shut down. I feel like it would help a lot to get out of the house for a little bit but can't seem to get myself moving. The skin itching, shakes, and pins and needs in my arms and hands are still there. But overall everything isn't as bad as it was a couple of days ago. My low point was day 7 and it felt like there was no hope in sight. I have no idea how people still work while going through this - being able to just lie down every couple of hours and shut off from any external stimulus has been a life saver. And flat cola has helped my stomach. I don't think I have eaten a proper meal in the six weeks since I started lowering the dosage and my stomach went crazy.

So my advice is to rest as much as you can. Even though you can't sleep just try shut everything out and give your brain some time to fix itself.

I'm on day 10, and the brain zaps are almost constant, and they're radiating out to my fingertips now. Not sure what that's about. Things have gotten worse since I went back to work - I'm assuming from the stress. (I was on vacation the first 8 days...so very very glad about that!)

I've been going to a place called Maximized Living. It's a chiropractic center that focuses on healing through chiropractic, nutrition, etc. They've told me - and I believe it - that the nerves in certain parts of my neck have been pinched for decades, even though I haven't had any pain symptoms. Pain is just one of the last symptoms. These folks have offices all over the world, and they all treat their clients/patients with the same philosophy. They start by defining health - it's not what you think. Your body can heal itself, if you remove the obstacles to healing. Instead of wondering if you've had any damage from the medication, find a Maximized Living Center near you, and ask them to check the curve in your neck, the "arc of life."

The withdrawal symptoms have been horrible, but Dr. Livingood and his staff at Maximized Living have been with me every step of the way. One of their employees has also experienced Cymbalta withdrawal, so you can imagine the help she is! They promise me that the symptoms will pass, and things will get better. I believe them!

My best friend has been seeing Maximized Living for about 10 weeks. She's reduced her medications from six to two. The four she's eliminated were for pain and bipolar disorder. She's working on coming off the last two - Cymbalta and Metformin (for diabetes). She's also lost just over 20 pounds, she's sleeping better and feeling better. Her mother has also been going for about 10 weeks. When she started, she had to use a cane just to move around her house - for back pain, balance, and her legs just "giving out." She was afraid to go out for fear of falling again. In just 10 weeks, she's stopped using her cane, and she's almost pain free. I've known this woman for years, and I've never seen her look so happy!

I've written it in other posts, but the logic of their philosophy is there. Think about what happens if you pinch a nerve in your hand. First it gets a little tingly and numb, and then it really starts to hurt, and then it gets totally numb, and then the damage really starts. That's an obvious sequence with a nerve that transmits pain. Apply the same series of events to the nerve that controls mood, hormones, brain function, digestion...pick a system! Once we're through detox hell, we're going to have to confront the underlying causes of our depression, anxiety, etc, or they're going to come back. I've never had any luck with psychiatrists or talk therapy. I recognize the validity of the process, but it always felt like self-indulgent whining to me. Maximized Living is helping me and many others to correct the underlying physical problem of our mood and other health problems.

The brain zaps are incredibly annoying and uncomfortable, but my focus and concentration is still off. I apologize if my post seems to be going all over the place.

You sound like you're being incredibly logical and reasonable about your reactions to this nightmare process - I'm so glad you're able to do that! You're helping others to see that we don't have to give in to the detox. We don't have to give up. And we're NEVER going to give another medication this kind of control over our bodies again!

Please check out the Maximized Living website. I've met so many people there with stories just like the ones I've told here, and I hope to be telling my own success stories soon. In the meantime, I'll just keep detoxing and following the five essentials of the Maximized Living program.

Good luck, and stay strong!

#66 WantLifeBack

WantLifeBack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Like everyone has said, finding this forum has been so helpful and comforting. Well, as comforting as anything can be while going through this nightmare.

I feel a little like a skinny person complaining about calories here, because I've only been on Cymbalta for 4 1/2 months. I started at 30 (for anxiety and depression), then after a month went to 60. After a week I complained about the heavy sedation (didn't wake up until 6 p.m. a couple of days, after going to bed at 11 the night before). I was put on 30/60 alternating days. The past month I haven't been regular with my dosages - I hate taking meds, so I would take only 30 on most 60mg days, and I would miss about a dose a week.

Well, a few days ago I had an emergency with my daughter. With my focus on her, I didn't come home and take my nightly dose. Yesterday I was feeling spacey and weird, even though I'd gotten what is a decent amount of albeit broken sleep and ate a little. I figured it was the stress of the situation. Tonight though, oh boy!
  • Dizzy
  • Lack of balance/vertigo
  • Weird "zappy" head feelings (thank you all for giving me a word for that horrid sensation)
  • nauseous
  • can't focus
  • scared to drive
  • Never-before-seen temper tantrums behind the wheel
  • heart palpitations
  • weepy/wild emotional swings (wouldn't it be something if Cymbalta actually made me bipolar?!)
  • Wanting to pound on things to kind of shake off the feelings

I sent my preschooler to stay with relatives and was terrified I couldn't be present and normal for my daughter during her ordeal. I would have checked myself into the ER if my daughter was well. It finally hit me that maybe, even though no doctor had ever said a word about withdrawal symptoms or addiction or anything negative about Cymbalta, maybe it was my missed few doses. I took tonight's dose, hopped online, and here I am, so grateful and relieved that I am not in fact dying from some obscure biological weapon I figured I unknowingly walked through a cloud of at the hospital.

I guess it's just a pharmacological weapon. :angry:

It's been a couple of hours since I took it and I feel a little better, which is bittersweet. Now that I've had a taste of what I'm in for, I am TERRIFIED. I am now desperate to get off of this, and it sickens me that apparently this can't be done without dragging my body and my family through he*l.

I'm off now to cry over an episode of Seinfeld like the emotional wreck I've become, pop Omega 3s, and munch on crackers washed down with Powerade. Again, very grateful for the tips and encouragement in this forum.
I pray I feel capable of driving safely tomorrow. My kids need me.

#67 lemon

lemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

SO happy I found this!!! I'm in process of weaning too! I was on 60mgs for anxiety/panic disorder. I dropped to 50 for 3 weeks, then 40 for 3 weeks and didn't notice any side effects at all. I am now 4 days into 30 mgs and I DO feel side effects like the one poster said about feeling pregnant, pms, drunk, etc. LOL! It isn't bad though. I only get it from 4pm to about 9pm. Sounds crazy I know. 4pm is when I take my pill. I took cymbalta in 2007 and found out I was pregnant and it took me 10 weeks to get off it and I FELT terrible coming off it. This time around, I am taking fish oil and doing the Visalus Body By Vi shakes and nutritional supplements. I HONESTLY feel like this has helped me TREMENDOUSLY with the withdrawal. I'm glad we can all stick together thru this and support each other!

#68 Juliei

Juliei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone

Me again. I am finishing up my 3rd week post cymbalta and wanted to keep you updated. Thank goodness I waited until being off work to do this as it was a pure nightmare that I would never wish on anyone. My mother is still staying with me but hopefully she wont feel obliged to stay much longer - suspect she was on a bit of a suicide watch with me as I got very low at one stage. Summary of the journey so far:
- Week 1: Physical symptoms started - sore neck, upset tummy, no strength. Mentally the brain zaps started, insomnia, the constant headache meant that I struggled to think clearly and was very emotional - crying (which did relieve my tummy upset for an hour or two) and attacks of what I can only describe as rage - yelling at pets, snapping at family...
- Week 2: The week from hell. At first I though things were getting better but they soon went downhill. I didnt leave the house at all (I couldnt face the world or even trust myself to drive safely), I didnt even have the energy to change out of pyjamas. I couldnt turn my neck, the headaches and brain zaps were awful and I was super sensitive to sounds and smells around me. Just shutting down all external stimulus and lying quietly helped, as did codeine based headache tablets. Emotionally I was at my wits end. Panic, hopelessness, anxiety, confusion - I have probably never been more depressed and closer to suicide in my life
- Week 3: The change from Sunday to Monday was very positive. I managed to go to work, the brain zaps are lessening. I am still very depressed but do feel like there is some hope. Each day I feel a bit better. What I am left with are the occasional brain zap, cloudy brain and foggy thinking - sentences run away from me, some shoulder pain and the occasional bout of upset tummy. Overall NOTHING like week 2. The concerns for me at the moment are the extreme anxiety and panic I am left with virtually all the time and the lethargy - things like washing my hair in the shower feel too difficult. I am hoping that these two things start to improve soon.

But overall, week 2 for me was make or break and I am glad I persevered through without going back on cymbalta - all these symptoms may differ for different people and last different lengths of time but I am sure that most will be through the worst by week 3.

Keep going!!!

#69 2WheelHorse

2WheelHorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • why_joining:
    Learn from others share and help others by sharing my experience. Become well!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi, I happened on this forum yesterday and found it really helpful to read about what others are experiencing in quest to stop Cymbalta. I now have a much better idea about what to expect and what I will do from this point forward (below). Background is that I'm 18 months into recovery from an Rx opiate addiction which escalated over 5 years. Some issues with my spine opened up the opiate flood gates. (oxicontin then fentanyl patch). I’ll spare you the gory details. Only by the grace of God am I free from that horrible and hopeless pit. Becoming substance free is my goal; it's been a long journey and will likely continue as long as I live. Addiction, I'm finding, is so much more than just drugs. Spirituality and support from others has had as much or more to do with my progress to date as any approach I've tried. Regarding Cymbalta, my family Doc put me on 120mg daily around two years ago for pain and to help me deal with the anxiety of tapering off opiates. Although I failed to taper from opiates (acute detox required) I think Cymbalta played an important role in how I got to where I am today. I would have no problem taking this med longer term if I thought my wellbeing depended on it. It’s my choice to pursue freedom from any substance that causes withdrawals if stopped. So far, I have weaned down from 120mgs per day over the past 6 months or so. For me, gradual is the name of the game, keeping the adjustment as transparent as possible. I see no reason to rush, causing unnecessary instability in my daily life. I experienced some discomfort tapering from 120mg in 30mg increments. I stayed at each increment for at least 30 days. My biggest issue has been with handling emotions around stress. Reducing from 30mg per day is where I ran into trouble. Spreading doses to 36 hours was causing me to hit the wall at 24 hours, so I decided to just stop all together and just tough it out from there. Things got worse and I called my pharmacist. She strongly advised me to return to 30mg per day and start spreading the doses out again. I immediately took a 30mg. I have recovered from the spiral, but not convinced that spreading doses will work. The BEST idea is what I read on this forum. I will continue taking a dose every 24 hours but create my own lower dose by removing some of the white bead from the capsules. I’m confident this approach will allow me the smoothest possible transition to get off Cymbalta completely. Thanks to this forum for the idea. I have just taken my first 20mg dose and will drop to 10 mg in another week. I will write back in to let those interested know how things go from here. My advice to readers is to be very patient and proceed very gradually. Carefully weigh the risks of instability by rushing of this medication versus whatever your current situation is. Thanks again for the idea to split the beads. I see light at the end of the tunnel.... if I remain patient.

#70 AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I hope this will help someone who reads it, so here goes. I am 37 and have been taking Cymbalta for pain (peripheral neuropathy) for the last seven or eight months. I do not have diabetic neuropathy. The Cymbalta works like a dream for my pain, but on 60mg I have too many other side effects: insomnia and anorgasmia. In November I asked if I could go down to 30mg so I was on 30 for about 6-8 weeks. I have recently lost about 15 pounds so I thought this might help the pain in my feet. My last 30mg pill was on Sat and it is eight days later (Sunday). Today I have felt the best so far, although a little weird in my head the last several hours. It always gets worse in the afternoon. I am taking 1500 Omega 3 every morning (the liquid). The last week has been horrible, all the things that everyone else posts except fits of rage and sleeping. I am sleeping MUCH better. I read to not take the 5HTP so I haven't. I have been walking about 45 minutes on the treadmill each day. I read that exercise, omega 3, sunshine can all improve your seratonin levels. I have felt quite a bit better since taking the liquid omega 3 of 1500 mg. I have been on that for 3 days. I also think that caffeine makes it worse. I always feel a lot worse if I have any tea (unsweetened). The brain shivers and zaps are dramatically better today, I think these are about the worst part of all of it. I also have the luxury of not having to work each day. I usually only work one day a week and I called in sick that day. So rest, take 1500mg omega 3, no caffeine. I also think that a lot of people that post decrease too quickly. I was on 30 for almost two months before I quit. I think you should decrease no sooner that 1 month increments. Also if you could talk you doc into prescribing prozac low dose to help with the weaning. My doc wouldn't do that for me, I called and asked. The half life of proazc is something like 2 days and Cymbalta is only 10 hours. The prozac leaves much more slowly so your body can adjust more slowly and isn't thrown into shock. Ill try to post in a few more days, just wanted to let someone know that for me eight days later I feel much better.

#71 EbolaJake

EbolaJake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

I am heading into approximately day 50 without Cymbalta and still have steady issues daily. I just found this site a few days ago and am glad because it at least helped me figure out that the issues are not something more severe. I had already gone do my Dr and had a battery of blood work done to see if something was going on, was getting close to an MRI to check for brain tumors. I knew it would affect me but never knew it could be so severe. I don't understand how they would let something like this on the market. I was on it for approx 9 months mostly in an attempt to help chronic back pain from a torn disc that hasn't healed in almost 3 years. But also because chronic pain is depressing and I hit a point where I scored about a 29 on the Wakefield test. However, I have felt much worse without Cymbalta now than I ever did before taking it. It has affected me to the point of interfering with making it to work and dealing with people in a civil manner. I feel lucky I haven't killed someone yet. Pure rage at times! It takes so little to put me over the edge to the point it feels like my entire body is shaking and my teeth and fists are clinched! I have to hide somewhere for a while because I can't even look at people without having horrible thoughts. I have gone through the entire spectrum of the withdrawal symptoms like "brain zaps", nausea, blurred vision, rage, crying, diarrhea, vomitting, body temperature problems, fatigue, cramps, spot numbness in hands feet and face, aches and pains all over, headaches, runny nose and sinus pain, irritability, weight gain, lack of energy, nightmares, other sleep issues, and other things too. At times attempting to fall asleep or stay asleep has been close to a mild LSD trip.

The worst by far have been the "brain zaps", extreme anger and rage, body temperature control (sweating and overheating but freezing at the same time, or feeling cold when its 80 degrees in my house), upset stomach, fatigue and muscle weakness, horrible sleep issues (violent, bloody, angry, and extremely scary nightmares!). It has created parasomnia where I am asleep physically and begin dreaming but my brain reconnects with the conscious world and I can hear everything around me like cars driving by, my dog moving around, or someone knocking on the door, but I cannot move my body. At times I can't even tell if I'm breathing and it's extremely scary. Panic is ultimately what makes me wake up. But I recorded myself to see if it was my imagination, and my head actually begins to jerk and twitch before I wake, like a mild convulsion. I haven't slept well for a very long time. The "brain zaps" at times have gotten so bad that if I'm attempting to go to sleep and my body is relaxed, it will actually make my whole body jerk to the point that it scares my dog. I've had to pull over and take a nap in the middle of just a 2 hour drive because of a feeling of exhaustion mixed with the zaps made me truly believe I was a danger to myself and others at 3pm! I haven't felt like myself in a very long time. My fear at this point is that if it continues longer that it could cost me my job. Which would just make matters worse for all the medical bills. The more I am up moving around, the more intense most of the issues get. I fall back asleep in the middle of the day sitting on the couch with a plate of food in my lap, get dizzy and have to sit back down when trying to get ready for work (which makes me a few minutes late a lot). I stay late, go in on days off, and try really hard to make up for it, but for most bosses it's that 1-5 minutes of being late that destroys any good you might do. It has had a very negative impact on my life in general, and I just want it to stop before it ruins things. Has anyone else had very little change in issues in a 7+ week time frame???!!!!??

The only thing that makes it somewhat bearable is my Oxycodone cause it makes me not care so much. I've had a headache for 3 straight weeks! I have avoided taking it too far with Dr's because I can't afford it and kept hoping it would get better. I go from laughing to crying to extreme anger in less than 10 seconds! I could not honestly say I have not had homicidal/suicidal thoughts, but I have been too stubborn and ashamed to discuss it with people. But at this point it I have stopped caring so much and say whatever I want, and I can admit that I have put an unloaded gun in my mouth and pulled the trigger just to see how hard it is to do. It was already difficult to know the only sure thing each day was that I would be in pain. Now I have to add the rest of this mess on it too. No I do not want to die, I do not want to end my own life, but most of the time whenI wake up there is a moment of disappointment and sadness when I realize that I woke up again. I just really want it to end soon!

I will admit that while on Cymbalta I felt better mentally. However it did nothing for pain, and the physical side effects did not make it worh it to keep taking it. I was lucky to have a bowel movement more than once every 8 or 9 days, was tired a lot but never slept well, lost ambition to accomplish anything, some nausea and vomitting, and sexual side effects of course. Can't forget about the oh so great sexual side effects! Inability to ejaculate is not something pills that are supposed to make you feel better should cause! Try again and again for like 5 hours and get absolutely no relief! For some people it might be an upgrade but it was a bit too much. The kicker was that hours later, out of nowhere, bam! it just leaks out in the pants (without the orgasm feeling of course! who would want that?). So after about 8-9 months the Dr said no deal and tried switching me to Viibryd to assist with the mental side of things and we could pursue other things for the ongoing back pain, even though nothing has helped for almost 3 years and sugery is like gambling and would likely put more stress on the discs above and below (one of which I already had herniated several years ago because I work ay too hard). Since having all the withdrawal issues they have wanted me to attempt taking nothing to make sure it isn't a combination of things, but it simply feels worse with the less painkillers I take.

I apoligize for the lengthy post, but sometimes it just feels better to vent (no matter where it is).

#72 newby

newby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi

I'm on day 7 withdrawal from Cymbalta and after reading some forums I thought that it might be the magic number but it doesn't look like it...

-I feel nauseated.
-I feel weak.
-Brain swooshing (probably similar to the zaps).
-Hot flashes and sweats with heart racing then cold (Is this menopause symptoms coming back with a vengeance?) these wake me up several times a night.
-Last but not least I'm having a really strange dizziness where I feel I have to lay down and can't hold my head up. It struck me last night that it could be some sort of hallucination because I feel like my head and body are trying to very very slowly turn to the left. Very weird sensation.

Does anyone have the answer to how long this will take?

Thanks

You are just beginning. Hang on and drink lots of water and take fish oil. Exercise!! Try to stay outside of your head. You will experience this
garbage for at least 2 months!!

#73 Jenni

Jenni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hello
I tapered off from 90 according to my doctor's instructions, taking a few weeks' break after each reduction. I found that I was feeling well enough to get back on a cross trainer by day 10 of being at the new level (I would do a week of alternating with the lower dose - I did find that helpful although it doesn't seem to work for everyone).

My dr warned me that the last bit (30 down to zero) would be the worst. Bear in mind that I have been on cymbalta for over 7 yrs and other SNRI's before that for a couple of years. This is probably my first time drug free for 10 yrs.

The symptoms have been more intense and the rage bit has been a bit of a nightmare esp since DH had to go overseas for business for a few weeks and so I was in charge of DD... Asking for more help from in-laws now.

Anyway, this is Day 11 flying solo and I just wanted to let you know that I am feeling lots better today. Bad headache and temper tantrums and a lot of feeling very sorry for myself BUT nausea almost gone, felt safe driving the car today, sinuses feeling better, motor skills coming back. Feel like I have come through the worst of it. Just two days ago, I was stocking up on travel sickness medicine because I felt so sicky and dizzy. So, everyone's metabolic system is different and everyone reacts in different ways BUT it is going to end. Good luck to everyone!

#74 2WheelHorse

2WheelHorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi, this is 2wheelhorse checking in after my first post a few days ago. I was taking 120mg daily or around a year and a few months ago made the decision to get off Cymbalta. Until last week, I was tapering too drastically. If I could do it over again, I would have simply removed a few beads from the capsule each day. It makes completely good sense now. Looking back, going from 120 to 60 caused me to mis-handle stress without realizing it was the reduction in dosage. 60 to 30mg was over Christmas holidays so nothing eventful. 30mg daily to longer time increments caused problems. I started over at 30mg daily (100 beads in my capsules) and have been reducing by 7 each day. I am stabilized and can make it though my work day with just mild symptoms. Then a bit of a crash but not terrible. My mood is definately less positive, but since it's gradual, feel like I can work through it. I spoke with my pharmacist today who I've know for 20 years about what I'm doing and was surprised to get the OK about removing beads. I will keep you posted about how things go from here. I'm down to 79 beads as of today. My heart goes out to those experiencing more severe symptoms. This is not easy for me but I feel fortunate compared to what I've read.

#75 Belphoebe

Belphoebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

7 weeks off Cymbalta now - still getting some brain zaps, worse when I'm stressed about something, and still very weepy and teary. I'm so glad the poison is out of my body...or mostly out... I really miss the emotional balance I had while I was on Cymbalta, even if it wasn't real. But I'm ready for this to be over...very ready!

#76 sonia9600

sonia9600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm also new to this site, been off cymbalta for over 6 weeks, and still suffering immensely. When will this feeling go away?? Has anyone suffered for longer than 2 months from withdrawal, because I don't feel like I can take this for much longer. I cry all the time, I feel so lonely and sad and depressed and worthless. I feel like I'm going crazy - haven't been able to eat/drink anything for the last 2 weeks. Constant headaches over the last 6 weeks, always feeling dizzy, like everything's spinning. Spurs of constipation and diarrhea. My blood pressure's been low. I actually caught a case of bronchitis as my immune system is really weak.

I have suffered from fibromyalgia and been on cymbalta for over 5 years! Over the last few years, i've torn my medial miniscus in my rt knee, herniated 2 disks in my lower back, and now torn my rt hip labrum nd enduring pretty intensive hip surgery. I was at 120mg for over 3 1/2 years. I have been trying to ween off over the last year, but it has been very difficult. It was easiest going from 120 to 90 to 60. Down from 60 has been tough, off from 30 has been impossible. I stayed at 30 for 2 months before cutting down to 20 for 2 months, and went from 20mg to 0 at the start of the new year. As such, it's been 6 weeks already, but i'm not feeling any improvement, if anything, it's getting worse!

AsI am recovering from hip surgery, I am fortunately not working daily. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, as I feel that if i had an outlet, maybe that would make me feel better? The constant electric flashes, feeling hot/cold at the same time, extreme night sweats, unable to sleep or eat, dizziness, headaches, tingling body, weakness, all over extreme muscular body pain. Sorry I'm such a spaz...Ugh...someone please help!!

#77 autimom4ever

autimom4ever

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

I've been off of cymbalta since end of October. I still feel the "cymbalta magnet" calling me... Not an urge to take it but to feel "near" normal again.

I was NOWHERE near this bad prior to starting cymbalta.

I'm crying all the time, my moods are unpredictable, I'm in pain all the time (when i wasn't prior to starting cymbalta), I'm almost constantly in a "panic" feeling.

This is not only affecting me, but it is affecting everyone around me (family, job, etc).

If I knew then what I know now... I would have NEVER started this terrible medicine...

I'm scared this is for life (and I've even started prozac to see if that will help).

I'm so angry I could spit (right at Eli Lilly)

#78 2WheelHorse

2WheelHorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi, I'm almost one week completely off Cymbalta after gently tapering at 5 beads per day. While this method has worked for me, I think my problems are much simpler than what is described in other posts. I can only say that all of my attempts at sudden reductions sent me into a very dark place. Because of that I retreated from my effort by going back up to larger doses. What I don't know is what the consequences would have been had I not retreated back to a higher dose.

#79 she

she

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi thanks to all for sharing it's been a life and sanity saver!

Just my own small insight on coping with withdrawals is that while my approach was to cut down / taper off on the medication it may not always to be possible to stick so rigidly to the schedule. I was getting very stressed at the symptions and the time it was taking to start feeling relief / and had to come off the drugs alot slower than I expected. What I found was that it very important to listen to your body and cut down accordingly.

It's taken longer than I would have expected or wanted (3 months to come off 30mg a day) - but certainly in my case it was important to rethink the reduced dosage / time as i went through the process. Keep the faith as it does get better and be kind to yourself!

#80 babsfan

babsfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have a follow up with my GP tomorrow and I have mixed emotions about blasting him about this drug! I figured it was going to be tough, but it was easier kicking the hydromorphone and demerol after my lung surgeries than getting off this brutal drug. I can't eat anything without it going right through me and it has been a month. I ran a half marathon last Sunday and took an Immodium at the start so that I could make it through the race. Plus turning around to back out of the driveway is a nightmare....the vertigo is unbelievable!!! The pain is back full force so I am going to go and get another nerve block instead of staying on anymore pills. They need to really evaluate this drug!!

#81 lisamarie777

lisamarie777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thank god I found this website. I have been on cymbalta for seven years. I was on 60mg than to 30mg now nothing.

I feel absolutely horrible!!! Depressed, sick, no sleep or bad dreams, no energy and I have a demanding job. I cry all the time. I am determined to take one day at a time.

Just wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences since I don't feel like I am the only one and/or crazy!

#82 2WheelHorse

2WheelHorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

This is an update - one month completely off cymbalta - after tapering slowly at 5 beads per day. Bowels are finally getting back to normal... there is light at the end of the tunnel! (sorry for play on words :) I maintain my opinion that Cymbalta is not an evil bad drug. It effectively reduced pain while I was taking it. Had I not stopped taking cymbalta, I would not have recognized how serious the nerve pain in my back was getting. I had surgery two weeks ago with good results so far. Cymbalta also served as a good "happy mood" drug while I transitioned through a difficult period of withdrawal from RX narcotics. I am REALLY GLAD to be off cymbalta and almost all other medications. The comments from SHE about "listening to your body" make great sense. I'm fortunate to have problems that seem small compared to many others writing in. All the same I hope this serves as some encouragement that life after the cymbalta withdrawal gauntlet gets better!! Blessings to all!

#83 Dizzyheed

Dizzyheed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Oh my god, thank the lord for this forum. I am only on day 3 of being off cymbalta so I guess I've got a way to go. I was on 120mg for severe depression and anxiety then was tapered down to 60mg for a week and now im off cold turkey. It's an understatement to say I feel rotten. My brain feels like its on springs, its just rolling around in my head. The fatigue is dreadful yet I still have insomnia (how can this be?) My brain can't keep up with my eyes, i have nausea, constipation, loss of balance,, crying spells, rage, emotional meltdowns, hopelessness and the list goes on and on. I am pretty much housebound as I can't move to quickly without my brain shuddering and being out and about in public isnt particularly pleasant. Driving is out of the question and i would quite happily spend my days in bed. I was hastily taken off this medication due to severe adverse effects with my vision so the quicker I can get this stuff out my system the better. At this point i have no idea if i still have my original illness of anxiety and depression because im all over the shop with side effects. Time will tell. I guess I'm just going to have to tough it out until it passes but fingers crossed it won't take too long. My best advice is to lay low (thank god I'm signed off work), surround yourself with supportive people, rest up, drink loads of water and take it one day at a time. If anyone has any useful advice re these withdrawals then please chime in. I was on these meds for 3 months incase that's relevant to how quickly the hellish withdrawal will be over. Good luck to you all.

#84 Kal

Kal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I've read so many replies in this forum and on another, as I was trying to get off Cymbalta myself and found myself in a crisis. I am proud (and relieved) to say that I am now Cymbalta free for 11 days. But it wasn't an easy 11 days and although I'm feeling so much better, I still have symptoms, but thankfully they are mild.

I was put on Cymbalta because I have carpal tunnel as well as joint-pain/fibromyalgia-like symptoms. After carpal tunnel testing came back positive, my neuro wrote a script for Cymbalta, handed it to me, and said it would help. I thought "great!" But it wasn't great. Yes, it DID help to reduce my pain. If you would have asked me while I was on it my first year, I would have told you it was a great medication that was helping.

But there's another side to that. When I was on 30mg, then 60mg, I noticed that my blood pressure was regularly showing up higher than normal. But I felt that was ok because I had low pressure to start off with, so no worries. But after a year or so on this medication, my carpal tunnel and other joint pains seemed to have returned or gotten worse. I was no longer getting the relief I once did. So I was tried on 90mg. And that's when my blood pressure became too high and I was scared. I went right back to 60mg.

I also have nocturnal TLE (seizures in my sleep) and they had come back, so carbamazepine was added to my coctail of medication. And that's when I really had problems. Too many interactions between Cymbalta, Keppra, carbamazepine, Trazodone (for sleep), Oxazepam (for sleep), Ativan, and Fentanyl (for brain injury and joint pain). I think the carbamazepine was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say. I felt like a nervous wreck. I couldn't function. I was forgetting important things. I didn't feel real. I couldn't think. I felt like a nut case - went right to the Emergency and had my Cymbalta cut back to 30mg.

That helped. And all of a sudden, the realization hit me like a brick wall - if I feel more energetic, together, and am better functioning with less Cymbalta, than won't I be even better with none of it? So my family doctor and I discussed this, and since the Cymbalta wasn't helping anymore for what I was originally prescribed it for, he gave the ok for going off of it.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thought that my life was going to get better. It did and it didn't.

You know the feeling you get when you get on a roller coaster and they buckle you all in and it begins to take the long climb to the top and then you get this sick to your stomach feeling knowing what's going to happen and you wish you could just get off (but know that no matter how much you scream, the ride isn't going to end until it's over). That's kinda how the past 11 days have felt like.

Day 1 wasn't too bad. I thought I was one of the lucky ones. But the "brain zapping" which I had never had before on any medication I've ever been on and off, came in full force on Day 2. I felt like I was getting electrocuted repeatedly. From the brain down, and from my heart upwards. It was terrible! And the hot and cold symptoms I've always had with Cymbalta, but became intensified off of it. My feet freezing cold to the touch, and yet were somehow sweating in socks. Frozen nose, fingers, using a heat pack to ward off the deep freeze feeling, and then being so hot a half an hour later.

The dizziness and "swooshing" in my head - THANK YOU for those who put words to that feeling. I had been having that feeling even before coming off, but didn't realize it was Cymbalta. It had become "normal", but even more worse trying to come off.

AND here is what REALLY bugs me. You know the analogy of a frog placed in hot water - how it would immediately jump out, and yet a frog placed in water that is slowly heated will not notice and not jump out when the water starts to boil. I think this is something that really applies to this medication. I was started at 30mg, then put to 60mg. Each time told that there would be some side effects that are normal to experience at first and they will go away. But the PROBLEM is that you become accustomed to the side effects and that becomes your "new normal". Before long, you don't even remember what you used to feel like. You don't have anything to contrast it with. Kinda like how you don't notice your children growing because you see them every day, but a friend who comes once in a while will notice the difference?

It wasn't until I started going off this medication that I started to feel what I used to feel and couldn't even remember. I didn't even realize how lifeless I'd become. Since stopping Cymbalta, it's like I've been waking up. Like someone's turned a light on in the room of my brain, or opened the curtains and I can actually see outside. I can FEEL happiness. Not that I wouldn't laugh before, but now when I laugh - it stays for more than a few minutes. I feel it more deeply. I can look at a flower and appreciate it's beauty. Not just think, "oh that's nice." I can LOVE my child instead of robotically providing for him, saying "good morning"... "good night". But really REALLY laughing with him, snuggling, having FUN. I forgot what it's like to have FUN. I can't really explain this in a proper way other than just saying that I feel like I've missed out on LIFE for the past couple of years. Like I've been watching it go on like in some sort of movie, but never feeling like it was real for me.

I REALLY RESENT how my doctor just wrote this prescription and said it would make me feel better, and how I wasn't informed properly on what I would lose out on. What my child has lost out on. And the HORRIFIC time I'd have trying to get off of it. Oh - and I read on here and on Lily's site that my doctor would occasionally check my liver function? Um... which doctor, because none of them ever mentioned anything and none of them did. 2+ years on a medication that can affect my liver and no one ever checked? I just trusted that my doctors knew what they were doing and would order any necessary test or tell me it's something to keep an eye on. I went in yesterday to have my urine tested and it revealed and it was flagged for protein. Great, something else I have to figure out with my doctor. Hopefully everything's ok. But what if it's not?

Anyway, I wanted talk about the withdrawal symptoms and how they've been in trying to come off this medication and how long it's lasted.

Day 2 was bad. Day 4-5 were HORRIBLE. Zapping in full force like I was a human lightning rod. Dizzy. Brain "swooshing". I like to describe it like my brain has been placed on the ocean shore and waves keep crashing and dragging it on the beach.

Many people on here (and another forum) recommended Omega 3's. I had been doing that, but the only Omega 3's I had were a bit out of date. So I went to see my Naturopathic Doctor to see if there was anything he could do to help (as I've now learned to be more cautious with the mainstream doctors). He gave me a version of Omega 3's that he actually uses himself. I take 2 twice a day, along with this "BrainAid" stuff that he gave me, too. I take one of them twice a day. It's supposed to help with brain recovery, kinda like a BandAid, but only "Brain"-Aid. I like the name of it and thought I'd give it a try.

I have GOOD news!!!!!! The last 3 days have been SOOOOOOO much better. The zapping and swooshing aren't as noticeable and have reduced drastically in frequency. I was really beginning to worry that I'd be one of those people suffering from withdrawals for a year, but I feel like it's about 90% over. It's amazing. I'm so glad I hung in there and am getting this drug out of my body. If you could assign prescriptions personality traits, I'd definitely call Cymbalta "evil, relentless, cunning, and cruel".

I know I felt it helped for the first year, but I really didn't have a clue about the true price I was paying for it. It just wasn't worth it. And the whole depression/suicide thing - for me, this drug MAKES things worse. Before when I was on it, nothing really phased me. I didn't REALLY have much feeling about anything. I didn't care if I lived or died. There wasn't a lot of value or meaning to anything. Now, like I said before, I feel more. Yes, that includes pain and sadness, but also LIFE. LOVE. PEACE. HAPPINESS. Why would I want to take a drug that would take those things away? I didn't even know I had lost them. But getting it back gives me all the more reason to want to live. To want to persevere. To want to experience life.

If I had only been properly informed and really had known what I was getting into, I would have never swallowed that first pill. It wasn't worth it. And I'm so thankful that now I'm on Day 11, and it's a great day. I'm happy. I'm living. Yes, my hands hurt terribly and I've got a lot of things going on in my life, but I have a lot to live for, and I want to keep feeling happiness and joy. I want to live life. There's a light at the end of this tunnel and I finally feel like I'm going to make it. Good riddance, Cymbalta. You're not welcome in my life anymore.

#85 vettergirl

vettergirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have been 9 days so far off of 60 then 30. I also have thyroid problems. I have been reading books and books and books! I switched from just synthroid to adding T3. Aparently it helps with crohns fybro depression and joint/muscle pain. I have taken about everything listed on here over the last 10 yrs. No relief!! I am having the brain zaps and the 1st week was hell. But since I have xanax and tons of different pain meds, I guess I have been medicating myself off of the cymbalta. I slept through the first 4 days on purpose!! I HATE the ringing in my ears then ZAP there goes my brain. My body doesnt hurt nearly as bad since adding the natural suppliment for the thyroid, in fact after the 4 days of self medicating I have taken less pain meds since the last 10 yrs!! I hope cymbalta is out of my system soon. it is playing havoc on my digestive tract and with crohns that is the worst thing you can have. It was getting worse on cymbalta even though that is why I was put on it. I couldnt swallow anymore. Enough is enough. Every day is getting better and walking now is helpfull.

#86 Kal

Kal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

Ok, so it's been since March since I posted. I don't know if anyone is reading any of this or not, but I'm hoping that there are people out there that are and are trying to get off of that poison. It's June now. I've been Cymbalta free since some time in March. It was HARD getting off... but I did. And I'm free. The world never seemed so bright.

After I noticed such a difference getting off of Cymbalta, I was also able to get off another medication (Carbamazepine). Cymbalta was the worst out of every single medication I've ever been on. But now living ever day with two less medications... it's liberating. It's like someone put new lenses into my glasses and I can see clearer than I have in a long time. I didn't even realize how cloudy and dreary and lifeless my life had become. The price I paid for those medications - the side effects and what it took from me - it wasn't worth it.

To anyone out there who really doesn't need to be on this medication and is trying to get through these withdrawals - HOLD ON!! HANG IN THERE!!! It's a really rough ride, and you probably won't be clear until 2-4 weeks, but it's definitely worth it. And to anyone else out there who hasn't started Cymbalta and is considering it... have you made sure you've exhausted all other alternatives? I'd hate for anyone to have to suffer needlessly.

****and just for legality purposes... please read my prior post... and I'm not a medical doctor... and I went off this medication with medical approval... and please consult your physician before taking any course of action... etc.

Kal

#87 JetteB

JetteB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

Ok, so it's been since March since I posted. I don't know if anyone is reading any of this or not, but I'm hoping that there are people out there that are and are trying to get off of that poison. It's June now. I've been Cymbalta free since some time in March. It was HARD getting off... but I did. And I'm free. The world never seemed so bright.

After I noticed such a difference getting off of Cymbalta, I was also able to get off another medication (Carbamazepine). Cymbalta was the worst out of every single medication I've ever been on. But now living ever day with two less medications... it's liberating. It's like someone put new lenses into my glasses and I can see clearer than I have in a long time. I didn't even realize how cloudy and dreary and lifeless my life had become. The price I paid for those medications - the side effects and what it took from me - it wasn't worth it.

To anyone out there who really doesn't need to be on this medication and is trying to get through these withdrawals - HOLD ON!! HANG IN THERE!!! It's a really rough ride, and you probably won't be clear until 2-4 weeks, but it's definitely worth it. And to anyone else out there who hasn't started Cymbalta and is considering it... have you made sure you've exhausted all other alternatives? I'd hate for anyone to have to suffer needlessly.

****and just for legality purposes... please read my prior post... and I'm not a medical doctor... and I went off this medication with medical approval... and please consult your physician before taking any course of action... etc.

Kal

Hi Kal, thankyou for posting your update, it's great to see how you've progressed since you quite Cymbalta and helps me with my resolve to get through this weird withdrawal period and remain Cymbalta-free forever, I want the real me back again! Well done ;o)

#88 dforand

dforand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

This is an update and hopefully some words of encouragement. I have been completely Cymbalta Free now since April 15. Almost 2 complete months. I am feeling good and I know the worst of it is behind me. I have maybe one or two brain zaps a week, but still having off and on bouts of depression. It was a rough road, I won't lie but you can and you will get through it. Exercise, eat right, and drink a lot of water!! I drink so much water I feel as if I am going to float away.
I do have Xanax that I take when my stress levels get to high. So far I have had to only take it twice.
My goal now is to loose this weight that this poison put on me!!
I wish you all the best of luck, and just keep telling yourself that what you are feeling is your body changing back to NORMAL!!! One it gets there you will feel better!!

#89 Kal

Kal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I thought I'd post an update. It's been a while now since I got off of Cymbalta. After seeing for myself how much I improved after going off of that, I was very motivated to find out how much my other medication might be affecting me. I was also on Ativan (as needed for anxiety) and Oxazepam (for sleep). Both of those are benzodiazepines. I had no idea that benzos had harmful side effects. I was just prescribed them and didn't ask. I assumed it was all right. I didn't know that they are only intended for short term use. I had been on them for 3 YEARS! I feel so betrayed by my "doctors".

It was very difficult, but I had slowly worked on reducing the amount of ativan I was on until I was off of it completely. I also was weaned off of Oxazepam (I did this under my doctor's direction after I put forth that I wanted my medication re-evaluated and to see what I didn't need anymore).

The withdrawal side effects are harsh. I went in knowing that. I'd have to say that Cymbalta is the worst. Once I made it through the Cymbalta withdrawal effects, I knew I could withdraw from anything!

I've been benzo free for over a month, and I want to tell everyone out there that it was worth it for me. All those strange medical-like things that had started occurring this past year - they just disappeared. No more urinary problems. Just gone. It got better each time I stabilized at a lower dose. Anxiety has actually lessened. The joint/nerve pain that has been worsening... it's improved dramatically. The tingly-numb feelings I was getting (making me think that I was getting multiple sclerosis) - that is completely gone now, too. I can't believe it. I'm thinking clearer than I have in a long time. I do get as upset and frustrated easily anymore. I feel like I'm back to my old normal self. The person I used to be but only couldn't get back to. I could find who I was, and now I'm so happy to be ME again.

I don't know what conditions any of you have. I can't say that you'll be better on less medication or not. All I can say is my own experience. I went on medication thinking it was going to help me get better, not worse. But it seems like the very thing I was given this medication for - it's worsened over time on the medication - not improved.

It seems like most of this medication is a quick fix to start with. Things do improve. But it's short-lived and then before you know it, you're suffering with many side-effects and you don't even realize it anymore. It's become so normal to you. You no longer have a way to contrast it with anything because you're always being drugged. It's not like when you go and get your eyes tested and they put a blurry lens in front of you and then a more clear one and ask you which one you can see better with. Obviously you can easily tell. But when you're drugged all the time, you can't tell. You get to the point that you don't even realize it anymore. And then you got to go through a terrible withdrawal period to figure out what it is like to be normal again.

I've really come to the point in my life that I am seriously going to question any medication that I'm given. I want to know what the side effects are. I want to know how long it's expected that I'm on it. Because it just may not be worth it. The last 3 years I've been wandering about in some drugged stupor, and I've missed my son grow into a young man. I lost part of his childhood. I was too medicated to be there emotionally for him. I don't want to lose anything else.

I've also been weaning off of Trazodone. I'm on just 1/4 of what I was on before. Guess what? When I was having a bit of difficulty, my doctor thought I should try the regular dose again... so I did and I got an extreme headache... so I'm back on 1/4. You know what else? I've been complaining of a headache for a long time now. Little did I know it was likely the Trazodone causing it. My headaches have been so much better since reducing the dosage. I can't wait to get off of it completely.

So... this past year I've gotten off of carbamazepine, ativan, oxazepam, cymbalta, and almost all of trazodone. And I feel better than I have in years. Go figure. I should have asked for a review of my medication a long time ago. I feel like I'm finally getting my life back.

Thank you to all of those people who share their stories. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have questioned things myself or tried to find if there was a better way. We may all have different experiences, but it's important to do what is best for you. When it comes to me, it is best for me NOT to be on these medications. My doctor has really noticed the difference. My counselor says I seem like my old self again and am thinking clearer than ever before. My son is so happy to have his mom back. It was hard getting off of these medications, but the results are worth it!

All the best to you all. May health and well-being find you where ever you are :)

#90 smeagol

smeagol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

51 days Cymbalta free but stuck in the "post-Cymbalta anxiety". I don't know if it is protracted withdrawal or a anxiety relapse.

The weaning off process is a history to me. Now I just want to know: will this anxiety disappear? or I have to be on another SSRI to treat it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users