Photo

Cymbalta - Going Off Patent Soon - Then What?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dlco4

dlco4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

I have been on Cymbalta ever since it was released by Eli Lilly. I have just gone off 90 mg daily as of 10/16/11 and switched over to Viibryd. I am having withdrawal symptoms that are most uncomfortable such as the so-called "brain zaps" that people describe, dizziness, wooziness, and a feeling as though my head is filled with fluid. This is not the first time I have felt this as I have noticed this in the past whenever I accidentally missed a dose of Cymbalta. This drug may be good for what it is intended to treat, however, it is highly addictive and people will not be aware of that until they try to go off of it. I am aware that the patent for this drug will expire in the very near future and I have a feeling that Eli Lilly may be in for some serious trouble when people have to switch to a generic form of this drug and/or find a new drug to replace it because the generic form may not be of the same quality(hence causing problems for them - and perhaps their insurance will only pay for generic Cymbalta). This may be the time when the public becomes aware of the severe withdrawal effects of Cymbalta. It's very unfortunate that those of us who are on this drug and have been for such a long time can not get off of it without going through such a difficult time.

#2 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

You mention that the patent will expire. What does this mean? When is the expiration?
Does this mean that the drug will be discontinued? or the patent will renew?

#3 Danwall

Danwall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • why_joining:
    Have SADs

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

It means that other companies can make it and sell it cheaper.
dlco4: The quality will be the same becuase it is a highly regulated industry and is controlled by the FDA who go in to the factories and inspect the process and documentaion. For example take Paracetamol you can buy Panadol cheaper but it is the same.

#4 cookie

cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thank you Danwall

#5 outamymind

outamymind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

Oh goody. Just what we need. MORE companies producing this crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users