• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

I completely agree with thismoment.

A very slow wean off is probably the best way unless you have anxiety rearing its ugly head then a cross taper would be in order.

I too weaned off much too quickly, 60 to 30mg for one week then bead counting for 23 days from 30 mg. That kind of rate I might have well just gone cold turkey as I had all the withdrawal and didn't feel well again until I started on a low dose of Zoloft (another SSRI) until I was 12 weeks off but at least the 2nd one was easy to come off of.

Keep in mind that the mg of one med do not match the mg of another. In other words 10mg of Cymbalta with a max dose of 120mg per day does not match 10mg of Celexa with a max dose of 40mg per day so you would NOT increase Celexa by 10mg every time you dropped 10mg of Cymbalta without risking serotonin syndrome.

Nancy

#662 Hissweetgirl

Hissweetgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

I began using Cymbalta to manage depression and symptoms of CFIDS/ME/SEID in December 2013.  I started with a short course of 20mg, about 5 days.  I went up to 30mg for another 5 days and have been on 60mg since then.  I have gained about 30 pounds since I started Cymbalta.  Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and started to change my diet with assistance from metformin.  At that time, I asked to start titrating off the Cymbalta and try another anti-depressant.  My CRNA suggested dropping from 60 to 30, taking the 30 for 5 days, then going to what amounts to 15, emptying 1/2 the beads, for another three days, then change over to Wellbutrin.  OMG!  I was trying to play the withdrawal symptoms off as early side effects of my new meds....sadly my brain zaps, nausea, diarrhea, inability to concentrate, musculoskeletal pain and everything else are beginning to wear me down.  I took my last dose of Cymbalta on Friday, May 1.  I REALLY don't want to start it again, but I am worried this is going to send me over the edge.  So far, no suicidal thoughts, so that is good.  But the brain zaps are making me want to crawl out of my skin.  

Side Effects I experienced on Cymbalta:

at the very beginning I had bouts of vertigo
Lethargy
Irritability 
Trouble sleeping - going from 7-8 good hours of sleep a night to 4 hours 30 minutes as an average. 
Agitation on occasion
Spending/shopping out of control
Overall health declined: sick frequently
Weight gain
Memory problems
Concentration problems

Vision problems/ visual changes

horrible ear pressure/ frequent ear infections

inability to make decisions, especially under pressure

hot flashes/blushing/heat intolerance

Inability to regulate my body temperature

Withdrawal Symptoms so far:
Nausea lasting all day
Diarrhea 
Brain “zaps”
Dizziness, very occasionally
Memory problems - side effect AND withdrawal symptom - NICE
Concentration problems mostly due to the stupid zaps

increased agitation - again, because my brain is loud....

decreased patience 

#663 jmconner

jmconner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

I was on Cymbalta for 5 years (60 mg) before going off of it. My primary care physician had me "taper off" -- down to 40 mg for a month, then to 20 mg for a month, then to nothing. I took my last 20 mg tab at the end of March. My life has been hell since. It started with brain zaps. A few times, when these came, I had the feeling that I was going to faint. Then I went through weeks of *intense* anxiety, leg tremors, and brain fog. Now I'm having slightly less anxiety, but I'm having terrible, terrible headaches. This has been absolutely unreal. It's felt like my life has been spiraling out of control.

I am taking it one day at a time. I don't know what else to do. I can't live like this very much longer, but surely this will end soon. As soon as one symptom goes, another seems to be waiting in the wings. But, my God, it's been two months. I can't possibly have too much farther to go, right?

#664 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hi jmc, welcome to the forum.

Typically it takes 6 to 8 weeks for one to see any breaks in the symptoms after the last Cymbalta. Having said that, it depends a lot on age and obesity (Cymbalta is fat soluble and can be stored in fat and liver tissue. I have seen it take 3 or 4 months before improvements in symptoms. In addition, it can take 1 to 2 years for all or nearly all symptoms to go away. Research has shown that Cymbalta does damage to the hippocampus and amygdala in the brain. These areas can take a long time to heal.

Some people have used omega 3 and vitamin C with success but still, you will need patience. Please keep us posted.

#665 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi jmc

I would just add to fishinghat's answer that a good B-complex or multi vitamin (prenatal are best) helps. The omega 3 should be high in EPA rather than DHA as the EPA is more calming. I still use it and take 1000mg with each meal. Drinking lots of water is also extremely helpful. Most of us are not hydrated enough and don't realize it. Drinking lots of water helps flush your system and helps the brain to heal.

For the headaches, I also had headaches from h e l l,  I used a product called L'theanine (make sure it is suntheanine and get it at a reputable health product store) 1 or 2 first thing in the morning with a full glass of water and then 1 before supper with a full glass of water (always on an empty stomach). It was the only thing that helped with my headaches plus it made me more clear headed for an added benefit.

You sound much like I was at the 2 month point and a month on a very low dose of Zoloft (10 mg) really helped me over the last hump then a slow taper off that. That was kind of a desperation move on my part as I didn't really want to do it. But like fishinghat said it just takes time to fully recover from this drug.

As you may have guessed the drop from 20mg to nothing was too much too fast but you are thru the worst of it and things will start to get better.

I do hope you will keep us informed

Take care of you and be well

Nancy

#666 jmconner

jmconner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

fishinghat and Nancy,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have started on some omega 3 (high in EPA). My doctor has also put me on 20 mg of Prozac. I keep wondering how I'm going to make it through this -- and am hoping the Prozac will help. I used to take Prozac (took it for years and years) with no problems. I switched to Cymbalta about five years ago when a doctor suggested that I could take it instead of the Prozac (i.e., that it would do the same thing as the Prozac) AND that it would have the added benefit of helping to reduce pain I was having in my back that he and I thought was from my running. (Ended up that the pain was from Lyme disease -- I am now Lyme and co-infection free.)

I have truly never felt like this -- ever. As I'm writing this I'm having what feels like a panic attack. I think the anxiety that came on with the other awful symptoms from going off of Cymbalta has been the worst. I have NEVER suffered from anxiety. It is absolutely awful. The pain of headaches, brain zaps, leg tremors, etc. is nothing compared to the psychological symptoms of Cymbalta withdrawal. I have never lived so one-day-at-a-time before -- just hoping that the next day will be better. 

#667 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

jmconnor

Hi jm. Your very fast taper (virtually cold turkey) from the 20 mg Cymbalta dosage will yield symptoms fairly strong for 6-8 weeks before beginning to calm down. But it will calm down!

Hopefully the Prozac will attenuate your symptoms and give you some peace. This strategy has had good success in the past, but it does take time for the Flouxetine to come on stream-- probably a few weeks at a minimum.

Of course you will need to taper off the Prozac at a later date-- should you wish to come off that SSRI.

In the meantime, it sounds like your anxiety needs to be addressed. Anxiety is the most destabilizing influence in this struggle to escape the addiction to these serotonin neurotoxins. Consider hydroxyzine as an anti-anxiety med as it is not addictive; all of the benzodiazepines are addictive, and you will have to wean off those when the time comes.

Go slow in your withdrawal and try not to attach a timeline to your recovery-- rather, take it hour-to-hour, day-to-day. Find distractions to engage your mind and keep it from looking solely inward, self-analysing. By directing your mind outwardly toward an activity you may encounter moments of total absorption, absolute engagement-- where there is no active thought-- there is only the activity itself. This moment of freedom is often called transcendence; it's the cerebral nugget that contemplatives, mystics, serious students of meditation, athletes, and artists have sought for thousands of years.

With a little luck, brightness on the horizon will appear in some weeks, but be prepared to endure the broader discomfort for some months.

We all passed through this and you will too! Sadly, there is no cosmic portal or wormhole through the seemingly endless expanse of Withdrawal Space.

Take care.

#668 Colinj70

Colinj70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

After 6 weeks on 60mg daily.

Bad points:

Constant body shakes

Trouble urinating and very painful!

Blurred vision

Tinnitus

Suicidal thoughts

Trouble walking

Falling on stairs

Unable to hold head up when sitting

Grinding teeth

No sleep

Lethargic

Anger/Rage

Memory loss so cannot think of any more bad points at the moment..

Good points:

None

Why do doctors even prescribe this poison? He didn't mention there would be any side effects.

It's affected my relationship with my Fiance so much that last week I told her I was going to pack my bags and leave her! I had no idea where I was going to go. I just felt so bad for shouting all the time and putting her down. I love her so much and before starting Duloxetine everything was fine.

Going to start coming off them within the next few days which is making me more nervous but have no other choice :(

#669 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Colin, get out while it's time. Won't get any better.

Same thing happened to me, but I hoped and hoped till four months. By then, I was losing it, scared out of my mind. Long, long withdrawal. Don't wait!

#670 CatLover

CatLover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hi jmc, welcome to the forum.

Typically it takes 6 to 8 weeks for one to see any breaks in the symptoms after the last Cymbalta. Having said that, it depends a lot on age and obesity (Cymbalta is fat soluble and can be stored in fat and liver tissue. I have seen it take 3 or 4 months before improvements in symptoms. In addition, it can take 1 to 2 years for all or nearly all symptoms to go away. Research has shown that Cymbalta does damage to the hippocampus and amygdala in the brain. These areas can take a long time to heal.

Some people have used omega 3 and vitamin C with success but still, you will need patience. Please keep us posted.

So if you are off the C and have fatty liver or are overweight then if you loose weight C will be leeched back into your system and you can experience more withdrawal symptoms correct? 

Can the C stored in your fatty liver continue to damage it? And why will NO doctors admit that there is a connection! 

#671 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Yes the C can be released back into your system as you lose weight and lengthen the time of withdrawal.

All antidepressants, including C can damage the liver that is why most manufacturers recommend a lft (liver function test) every 6 months. I has to remember that the liver is our detox center of our body. Anything that is not deemed as natural to our body is collected in the liver, process and eventually discharged. That not only includes C but nearly all medications, over the counter or prescription.

#672 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

Withdrawal

Sleeplessness. Tonight is the third night in a row that I haven't been able to get to sleep. It's 4:22 am. Fortunately I am retired so I don't have to get up at any specific time in the morning.

I have Ambien, but I'm afraid to start taking it because I fear this inability to get to sleep may go on for a while, and I don't want to get addicted to Ambien. So tomorrow I'll research some natural sleep aids.

Also, I had very vivid nightmares after I fell asleep the last 2 nights. I wonder what tonight will bring.

#673 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hi bb

You might try melatonin. It works for some but not others. Also you might try Benadryl. It is not natural but it has the added benefit of helping with anxiety. Just a thought. Also, the attached document was from my original psychologist and you might get some tips from it.

How to Sleep Better
Tips for Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
Tip 1: Keep a regular sleep schedule
Getting back in sync with your body’s natural sleep–wake cycle—your circadian rhythm (daily rhythm)—is one of the most important strategies for achieving good sleep. If you keep a regular sleep schedule, going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, you will feel much more refreshed and energized than if you sleep the same number of hours at different times. This holds true even if you alter your sleep schedule by only an hour or two. Consistency is important.
Set a regular bedtime. Go to bed at the same time every night. Try not to break this routine on weekends when it may be tempting to stay up late. No more than 15 minutes earlier or later each day.
Wake up at the same time every day. If you’re getting enough sleep, you should wake up naturally without an alarm. If you need an alarm clock to wake up on time, you may need to set an earlier bedtime. As with your bedtime, try to maintain your regular wake–time even on weekends.
Nap to make up for lost sleep. If you need to make up for a few lost hours, use a daytime nap rather than sleeping late. DO NOT NAP MORE THAN 1 HOUR PER DAY as it may affect your evenings sleep. DO NOT NAP AFTER 5 PM. The best time to nap is early afternoon.
Fight after–dinner drowsiness. If you find yourself getting sleepy way before your bedtime, get off the couch and do something mildly stimulating to avoid falling asleep, such as washing the dishes, calling a friend, or getting clothes ready for the next day. If you give in to the drowsiness, you may will usually wake up later in the night and have trouble getting back to sleep.
Tip 2: Naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle
Melatonin is your naturally produced hormone that regulates your sleep. Melatonin production is controlled by light exposure. Your brain will secrete more in the evening, as it becomes darker, Conversely, during the day your brain detects increasing light levels and begins producing serotonin, which causes one to wake and be alert.
Spending long days in an office away from natural light, for example, can impact your daytime wakefulness and make your brain sleepy. Then bright lights at night—especially from hours spent in front of the TV or computer screen—can suppress your body’s production of melatonin and make it harder to sleep. However, there are ways for you to naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle, boost your body’s production of melatonin, and keep your brain on a healthy schedule.
Increase light exposure during the day
Remove your sunglasses in the morning and let light onto your face.
Spend more time outside during daylight. Try to take your work breaks outside in sunlight, exercise outside, or walk your dog during the day instead of at night.
Let as much light into your home/workspace as possible. Keep curtains and blinds open during the day.
Boost melatonin production at night
Turn off your television and computer. Many people use the television to fall asleep or relax at the end of the day. Not only does the light suppress melatonin production, but television can actually stimulate the mind, rather than relaxing it. Try listening to music or audio books instead, or practicing relaxation. If your favorite TV show is on late at night, record it for viewing earlier in the day.
Don’t read from a backlit device at night (such as an iPad). If you use a portable electronic device to read, use an eReader that is not backlit, i.e. one that requires an additional light source such as a bedside lamp.
Change your light bulbs. Avoid bright lights before bed, after 7 PM do not use a light greater than 25 watts. Reduce light exposure by significantly reducing the brightness on your TV or electronic device.
When it’s time to sleep, make sure the room is dark. The darker it is, the better you’ll sleep. Cover electrical displays, use heavy curtains or shades to block light from windows, or try an eye mask to cover your eyes. Most patients with chronic problems blacken their bedrooms entirely. Do not use nightlights if it can be done safely. Block all windows in the bedroom so light can not enter.
Tip 3: Create a relaxing bedtime routine
If you make a consistent effort to relax and unwind before bed, you will sleep easier and more deeply. A peaceful bedtime routine sends a powerful signal to your brain that it’s time to wind down and let go of the day’s stresses.
Keep noise down. If you can’t avoid or eliminate noise from barking dogs, loud neighbors, city traffic, or other people in your household, try masking it with a fan, recordings of soothing sounds, or white noise. You can buy a special sound machine or generate your own white noise by setting your radio between stations. Earplugs may also help. Sound machines can be purchased at local department stores.
Keep your room cool. The temperature of your bedroom also affects sleep. Most people sleep best in a slightly cool room. A bedroom that is too hot or too cold can interfere with quality sleep.
Make sure your bed is comfortable. You should have enough room to stretch and turn comfortably. If you often wake up with a sore back or an aching neck, you may need to invest in a new mattress or a try a different pillow. Experiment with different levels of mattress firmness, foam or egg crate toppers, and pillows that provide more support.

Relaxing bedtime rituals to try
Read a book or magazine by a soft light
Take a warm bath
Listen to soft music
Do some easy stretches
Wind down with a favorite hobby
Listen to books on tape
Make simple preparations for the next day
DO NOT exercise or do any significant physical activity after 6 PM. Anything considered work (laundry, dishes, etc) must be avoided after 6 PM.
Tip 4: Eat right and get regular exercise
Your daytime eating and exercise habits play a role in how well you sleep. It’s particularly important to watch what you put in your body in the hours leading up to your bedtime.
Stay away from big meals at night. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods within two hours of bed. Fatty foods take a lot of work for your stomach to digest and may keep you up. Also be cautious when it comes to spicy or acidic foods in the evening, as they can cause stomach trouble and heartburn.
Avoid alcohol before bed. Many people think that a nightcap before bed will help them sleep. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol reduces your sleep quality, waking you up later in the night. To avoid this effect, so stay away from alcohol in the hours before bed.
Eliminate caffeine. You might be surprised to know that caffeine can cause sleep problems up to ten to twelve hours after drinking it! No chocolate, most teas, coffee.
Avoid drinking too many liquids in the evening. Drinking lots of water, juice, tea, or other fluids may result in frequent bathroom trips throughout the night. Caffeinated drinks, which act as diuretics, only make things worse.
Quit smoking. Smoking causes sleep troubles in numerous ways. Nicotine is a stimulant, which disrupts sleep. Additionally, smokers actually experience nicotine withdrawal as the night progresses, making it hard to sleep.
Eliminate stimulants. No sugars, salty food or MSG. Sugar is a stimulant which can increase blood pressure and pulse. It can take significant time to process this material and slow down your metabolism. Salts like table salt and MSG provide sodium which is used by the body to help carry electrical system in our bodies. This can also increase heart rates and metabolism for several hours.
If you’re hungry at bedtime
For some people, a light snack before bed can help promote sleep. When you pair tryptophan–containing foods with carbohydrates, it may help calm the brain and allow you to sleep better. For others, eating before bed can lead to indigestion and make sleeping more difficult. Experiment with your food habits to determine your optimum evening meals and snacks. If you need a bedtime snack, try:
A small bowl of whole–grain, low–sugar cereal
Granola with low–fat milk or yogurt
A banana (not sugary fruits)
You’ll also sleep more deeply if you exercise regularly. As little as twenty to thirty minutes of daily activity helps. And you don’t need to do all thirty minutes in one session. You can break it up into five minutes here, ten minutes there, and still get the benefits. Try a brisk walk, a bicycle ride, or even gardening or housework. Serious exercise, even small amounts, must be done before 6 PM.
Some people prefer to schedule exercise in the morning or early afternoon as exercising too late in the day can stimulate the body, raising its temperature.
Tip 5: Get anxiety and stress in check
Do you find yourself unable to sleep or waking up night after night? Residual stress, worry, and anger from your day can make it very difficult to sleep well. When you wake up or can’t get to sleep, take note of what seems to be the recurring theme. That will help you figure out what you need to do to get your stress and anger under control during the day:
If you can’t stop yourself from worrying, especially about things outside your control, you need to learn how to manage your thoughts. When trying to go to sleep it is essential not to think about work, money, your family’s problems or other stressful subjects. These are very detrimental to sleep. Do not think about exciting subjects (a vacation, your favorite hobbies, etc.). Instead pick something mundane (boring). Pick a subject like weeding you garden, cleaning your car, etc. It will be difficult to stay focused on these boring subjects at first but it will become easier with time and practice.
If the stress of managing work, family, or school is keeping you awake, you need help with stress management. By learning how to manage your time effectively, handle stress in a productive way, and maintain a calm, positive outlook, you’ll be able to sleep better at night.
Relaxation techniques for better sleep
Deep breathing. Close your eyes—and try taking deep, slow breaths—making each breath even deeper than the last.
Progressive muscle relaxation. Starting at your toes, tense all the muscles as tightly as you can, then completely relax. Work your way up from your feet to the top of your head.
Visualizing a peaceful, restful place. Close your eyes and imagine a place or activity that is calming and peaceful for you. Concentrate on how relaxed this place or activity makes you feel.
Tip 6: Ways to get back to sleep
It’s normal to wake briefly during the night. In fact, a good sleeper won’t even remember it. But if you’re waking up during the night and having trouble falling back asleep, the following tips may help.
Stay out of your head. Hard as it may be, try not to stress over the fact that you’re awake or your inability to fall asleep again, because that very stress and anxiety encourages your body to stay awake.
Make relaxation your goal, not sleep. If you are finding it hard to fall back asleep, try a relaxation technique such as visualization (focus your eyes on something in the room), deep breathing, or meditation, which can be done without even getting out of bed. Remind yourself that although they’re not a replacement for sleep, rest and relaxation still help rejuvenate your body.

Stretching. If you wake during the night do NOT fight it or panic. If you can not go to sleep in 10 to 15 minutes, get up, wake 20 or 30 feet, stretch (touch your toes or stretch your arms), walk back to bed and lay back down again. Each time you stretch and lay down your body will produce a small amount of endorphins which help the body relax.
Postpone worrying and brainstorming. If you wake during the night feeling anxious about something, make a brief note of it on paper and postpone worrying about it until the next day when you are fresh and it will be easier to resolve. Similarly, if a brainstorm or great idea is keeping you awake, make a note of it on paper and fall back to sleep knowing you’ll be much more productive and creative after a good night’s rest.

#674 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

Thanks, fh.

I took 6 mg melatonin a couple of hours before bed last night, along with my usual ropinarole for RLS. It still took a couple of hours to get to sleep, but I slept for 5 hours, woke up, and got right back to sleep. Slept for several more hours.

Also, the nightmare that has been so vivid and scary every night, was actually replaced by a vivid but much more pleasant dream.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

#675 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Thanks, fh.

I took 6 mg melatonin a couple of hours before bed last night, along with my usual ropinarole for RLS. It still took a couple of hours to get to sleep, but I slept for 5 hours, woke up, and got right back to sleep. Slept for several more hours.

Also, the nightmare that has been so vivid and scary every night, was actually replaced by a vivid but much more pleasant dream.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

#676 RevTom

RevTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cym/Dlxtn for pain, now tapering off. More side effects tapering off then I had while on full strength.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'm hoping someone can confirm something for me. I've been having tremendous muscle soreness, especially after sitting or sleeping. When I wake up in the morning, it feels like I must have run a marathon the day before. It's hard to walk, I'm so sore. I also have tremendous numbness, and then pain, in my hands. After 1/2 and hour to an hour awake, and walking around, I loosen up and feel almost normal again. Could this be Cymbalta withdrawal?

I've been tapering off Duloxetine (generic Cymbalta). I was on 60mg per day for about six months, and on 90mg for about two weeks. I bumped back to the 60 for a while, and then a month ago down to thirty, then two weeks ago, about half of 30. Any thoughts?

I also have the following symptoms, that I attribute to withdrawal, but I might be mistaken:

Decreased libido

Extreme sleepiness during the day

nausea

agitation.

I was originally on Duloxetine/Cymbalta for chronic pain. It seemed to help a little bit for that, but not overwhelmingly so (maybe a 15% reduction in pain). I did not begin to experience side effects until I started tapering off. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

#677 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

Welcome RT

It is quite possible. Certainly the symptoms you listed in the middle of your post can be attributed to the withdrawal. It should be mentioned that those who took Cymbalta for pain (arthritis, fibro, neuropathy, etc) usually experience bad rebound pain during withdrawal. Usually this pain occurs rather constantly rather than just episodically. If this is from withdrawal it should slowly start to fade after 4 to 8 weeks. Each of us are different so I am only mentioning what typically happens. You might have your serum magnesium levels checked as they can cause this and are sometimes low during stressful periods. And Cymbalta withdrawal is certainly stressful. Please keep us posted on how it goes as that is how we all learn on this site.

#678 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

RT, definitely.

I am on a similar taper schedule. After several years on 60 and most recently on 90, I dropped down to 60 for two weeks, then down to 30. Around July 4 I plan to drop to 20, then start slow tapering by counting pellets after that.

Ever since my initial drop, any exercise during the day makes me feel very sore the next morning. It takes 1-2 hours to normalize.

As to minimized libido, anxiety, nausea and agitation, these are all withdrawal symptoms that I have experienced or read about in other posts. I realized today I am back to biting my nails (yikes!) which I haven't done in many years. Anxiety for sure.

I see that fishinghat is also reading this, and will probably chime in with suggestions. I can only say that I have not experienced anything so far that is at all debilitating, or that weakens my resolve to continue this process to the end. I hope you feel the same.

If not, a slow down in your taper might be in order. I will leave that to fishinghat.

#679 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

BB had a good idea in slowing down the taper. It may not cure the problem but should make you more comfortable if it is the with drawal.  By the way your weaning rate is waaayyy  to fast for most people. Most ope the capsule and remove about 1% more of the beads each day. Another thing you can do is to pour out all the beads except for about 10 and take that with that slightly more than half a 30.  As you drop more thens can get worse so when in doubt slow down the taper a lot.

#680 RevTom

RevTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cym/Dlxtn for pain, now tapering off. More side effects tapering off then I had while on full strength.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Thank you so much, FishingHat and BronxBomber. It's so great to even have people with whom to "talk" about this stuff. BB, that is exactly my experience I walk three miles, and do a few pushups - stuff that used to be very mild for me - and the next day I feel like I climbed everest. Mostly, I'm sore in the joints, as I've realized.

I realize I'm weaning pretty fast, but I tend to be willing to suffer a bit more if it means ending the suffering a bit sooner. 
Two questions:

1. FH, you mentioned magnesium. I have been supplementing 450mg of Mg Citrate a day (in two separated doses). Do you think that might be causing the joint/muscle aches? Or do you think even more might help?

2. My second question is about the beads. I've been simply sorting them in a little ramekin (dish) and then rolling them into my mouth, washing down with water. Is that the normal way, or is there a better way?

And I appreciate your encouragement to keep with it. I am definitely going to do so!

Thanks again, so much! 

#681 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

High magnesium can cause your symptoms as can low magnesium. Remember that anyone taking a magnesium supplement must have their calcium and magnesium levels checked at least every 6 months.

My wife developed an erratic heart beat several years ago. The Cardiologist identified it as low magnesium. He told her to take no more than 300 mg per day for one month and we will recheck the blood levels. At the end of the month her magnesium was on the high end of normal and the calcium had dropped to the low end of normal and the erratic heart beat was gone. Since then she has it checked every 6 months and if it starts dropping she will pop 100 mg of amino acid chelated magnesium (easier on the stomach) every day for 3 days. So far no problem.

#682 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

RT, joint and muscle soreness after mild activity is precisely my complaint. One example is my right ITB. It's normally a little tight, but since I began tapering it is enormously tight and painful. I've been massaging it every night. For the last 2 nights I've been massaging with medical marijuana cream, and that seems to make it subside.

Also, I've read that you should not take the little bb's without the protection of a gel capsule. You can buy them online at Amazon or on eBay. Amazon also sells a tiny funnel which may make the capsules easier to fill. I use a "0" size as it is pretty easy to deal with, but that is my personal choice. I ordered the funnel but have not received it yet.

#683 RevTom

RevTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

Thanks. Yes, we had some empty veggie caps lying around, for essential oils. A few days ago I started putting the pellets into those, just because it seemed better.

I'm still sore all the time, now, even when I don't exercise. Actually, I feel OK when I'm moving, but after sitting, or sleeping, for awhile, it's a bear to get moving again. I think it is mostly in my joints: feet, ankles, knees, hips shoulder and hands.

I feel like an old man, at 48.

#684 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

RT, I wrote several paragraphs, then scrolled back to review your tapering schedule in order to discuss mine intelligently. When I came back, the post I had written had disappeared. I never compose well the 2nd time around. Maybe one of the moderators can tell me if unposted posts are stored somewhere, as this has happened more than once.

The gist of what I wrote agrees with your post. It takes me a couple of hours to get active in the morning because my joints are so stiff and painful. So you are not alone.

You and I are both tapering pretty fast. I started at 90, went to 60 in late May, to 30 two weeks later, then to 20 about 11 days ago. What dosage are you currently taking?

After July 4 weekend, I plan to cut down to 10 mg. If I have problems I'll stabilize back at 20 then drop to 15.

Perhaps we are both in that small group who is only minimally affected by the tapering process. I hope you are still doing well with your taper.

#685 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,868 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

Research indicates that around 20% of those withdrawing from Cymbalta have little to no withdrawal.

Ken is the administrator for this site and a message can be left for him on the last section of the forums called "Questions and Comments for me".

I know what works for me sometimes is to go to where the post should be and look at the lower left corner of the post. It should say 'Last Auto Saved  (time)". Just click on that sentence and at least a partial should appear.

#686 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Thanks fh. It's happened to me several times and it seems I can never recapture my brilliance the 2nd time.

My body aches did not prevent me from snow skiing today. I just keep reminding myself that I'm not really injured, it's just the Cymbalta trying to interrupt my life.

#687 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:50 PM

It occurred to me that perhaps I could taper faster and get down to 5 mg in a week. So yesterday was my first day on 10 mg. Today will be the same. Tomorrow I will go to 9 for 1 day, then 8 etc. down to 5 mg. That will take exactly one week.

If I am doing ok, I hope to go from 5 to 0 in the next 2 weeks, staying at each level for 2 days down to one mg. Based on fh's experience, I will stay at 1 mg for a week, then drop to zero.

Of course, I know you can't really plan but must listen to your body. I am cautiously optimistic but will not be too disappointed if I end up needing to go more slowly.

#688 blanam

blanam

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Positive Effects:

Cymbalta was a miracle drug for me at the time.  I experienced severe anxiety in my 30's and 40's and after trying numerous SSRIs that didn't agree with me, I was put on Effexor and then switched to Cymbalta.  Both worked really well at alleviating my panic attacks, social anxiety, and generalized anxiety.  I was on Cymbalta for 15 years before I decided to taper.  I am still tapering with 13 beads left to go.

Side Effects:

Vivid dreams

Weight gain

Increased sweating

Dry mouth/Dehydration

Memory issues (altho these could be age-related too)

Sexual unresponsiveness

Dizziness when getting up too fast

Discontinuation Symptoms:

Dizziness, lightheadedness, vertigo

Foggy headedness

Nausea and vomiting

Pressure in my head and ears

Ringing in my ears

Temperature dysregulation

Muscle cramps, especially in my legs

Sleep disturbance

Confusion

Lack of concentration and focus

Brain freeze

An inability to get my words out

Depersonalization

Derealization

Irritability and impatience

Extreme emotional sensitivity

Tearfulness and sobbing uncontrollably 

Depression

Suicidal thoughts

Weight gain (again!)

Increased appetite and decreased appetite 

Flushing in my face

Headaches

Joint pain

As I've slowed my taper down, I am experiencing less of these symptoms and/or they are not as severe.  I'm at 14 beads and I still feel:

Dizziness, lightheaded, foggy headed

Ringing and pressure in my ears

Muscle cramps

Tearfulness and crying jags

Depression

Easily overwhelmed

I've noticed a pattern that I wake up feeling lousy and that I feel better in the afternoon and evening.  Perhaps it's when the meds kick in as I take them in the morning.  And there's still the pattern of the 3rd day after a taper when my symptoms increase, especially the depression.

#689 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

My husband decided to help my taper. This week I ended up taking 10, 9, 8, 4!!! So I went from 8 mg on Wednesday to 4 mg on Thursday, and it did not go well! My muscles were so sore that I spent most of the day in bed - in tears! When my husband came in to check on me, I quietly asked him how many mg I had taken that morning. When he couldn't tell me, I fired him from capsule filling. Finally he was able to describe what he had done, and I became very angry and upset. He didn't seem to get it.

I took my 3, 2 and 1 mg capsules and combined them into 1 capsule and took it, so that was 10 mg on Thursday, with the 4 I had already taken. The rest of the day did not go well, but Friday was better.

I plan to stay at 10 mg for a week. Then I shall taper to 8 for a week, then 6 then 4. From 4 I plan to go down by one mg each week. I think that is fast enough, and I will see how it goes.

FH, one mg is 5 beads. How would you recommend tapering from 1 mg to zero? Should I do it one bead at a time? It seems that the last mg. might be the most difficult, and I sure want to do my best not to mess it up at that point. I know this was where you had trouble, but in general is that how slowly most people taper to zero?

Thanks as always for your help.

Bb.

#690 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

I forgot to mention that the nightmares in living color have returned since I dropped from 20 mg. The melatonin is still helping me get to sleep, but I've had at least one nighmare every night.

I'm taking 6 mg melatonin. Would a higher dose make the nightmares less likely? My body weight is about 160 lb, if that makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users