#691 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but yesterday was a day with the wife. Don't get to do that often enough.

Frankly, from  one mg I would drop one bead every week for 5 weeks. This is the time that your body needs the best chance to adapt.

The melatonin is a flip of a coin. It may help your nightmares and it may make them worse. I suspect this is from your Cymbalta withdrawal and the melatonin will have little effect. Just an educated guess. Only one way to find out for sure, try to increase the dose by 2 mg and see what happens.

Hang in there. Time and patience.

#692 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

I've come down from 90mg a day (was on that for maybe 3 years).

Started 60mg a day on March 18 2017. No side effects, except a day or twonof tiredness.

Went down to 30mg a day on April 18 2017. Horrible side effects. Brain zaps, headache, muscle pains only lasted a week or two. It's the stomach issues that gor me. Randomly regurgitating food/water/bile. Acid reflux. Stomach pain on a daily basis. Going between diarrhoea and constipation.

Ended up at the hospital with the pain. Got referred for an endoscopy, but it showed nothing but mild inflammation. Omeprazole helped the reflux/regurgitation calm down but did nothing for the pain. It eventually settled down about 3 weeks ago.

Took a notion to stop the 30mg a day as I was feeling ok again. Didn't like the sound of breaking the capsules for bead counting. Took my last one on Sunday 9 July. First three days were fine and I thought I'd gotten away with it. Then it hit: crying jags, brain zaps (up to 40 an hour), flu like symptoms, sore throat and muscles.

I've been taking omega 3 fish oils,vitamin b complex and vitamin d. Brain zaps are down to a few a day, which is manageable, but the stomach pain is back with a vengeance. Anything I ate at the weekend just went through me. Randomly regurgitating food again (no warning or gagging, will be just walking about). The constant pain is getting me down. I seem to be back to constipation. The thought of eating makes me nauseated, but I'm still hungry!

Just needed to rant. I'm so tired all the time I could cry.

#693 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

Hang on SFP.  It will be a tough battle but you can get through this. Try Imodium if you get diarrhea again. Ginger tea, ginger ale, etc helps with the nausea.  This may take some time but you can do it.

#694 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Welcome SFP,

Or, you could reinstate at 30 and bead count. You will find relief in a short time if you decide to do this.

Whatever you decide, we are here for you anytime. Tylenol flu is good for the brain zaps. Benadryl is also good for anxiety, it calms.

#695 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks, fishinghat and gail. I think I'm going to tough it out. My mood is fantastic, so it's just a case of getting through the physical side effects.

I've been on antidepressants for 6.5 years (lexapro and effexor too) and I don't think I realised how dulled my emotions were. I feel like I can live in the moment again.

#696 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

Rage. So much rage. I don't know what to do with all these emotions.

I want to scream and cry and go to sleep.

Everything is irritating me this morning at it's only 9am. I do not want to go to work. I actually hate my job at the moment.

#697 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:04 AM

Hey SFP, tell me about this job that you are hating this morning. It sounds like you normally enjoy it.

#698 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

I do normally enjoy it, it's just in the last few weeks since I've come off cymbalta completely that I don't.

I dread getting out of bed in the morning;I don't want to talk to anyone and it feels like my brain just won't work properly so my performance is down. I'm also so easily annoyed/angered.

It doesn't help that I have stomach pain every day. :(

#699 bronxbomber

bronxbomber

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:02 AM

I understand. I am so glad I am retired. I could never have done my previous job and tapered from C at the same time. All the people who are working while tapering have my utmost respect.

SFP, if you don't get relief soon, perhaps you could consider Gail's suggestion of going back to 30 mg, and tapering from there. Maybe you don't have to bead count all the way down. You could stabilize at 30 for a couple of weeks, then go down by 5 mg each week until you reach 5 mg. At that point you should probably slow down your taper.

My 2¢ worth as I head off to sleep.

#700 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

Good morning SFP

You might try some Zantec (ranitidine) every 12 hours. It may help the stomach pain. It will take a couple days to have full effect. These stomach issues usually begin to start fading around week 4 to 8 so hang in there. You can also try a little Cymbalta, say 2 or 3 mg and see if that gives you a break. Remember if your stomach is an issue you shouldn't drink anything hot or cold as this caused the muscles to tighten even more. Slightly warm water is the best and sometimes a hot pad on the stomach help calms it as well.

#701 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

I've decided to tough it out. Over 3 weeks off them now.

Brain zaps are down to a few a day. Emotions are starting to feel more manageable. I don't wake up utterly exhausted, which helps. My stomach issues are not gone but are slowly improving. I have pain daily, but it's not all day long.

Heartburn is back again today and some reflux has been happening, so I will take some omeprazole for it.

This withdrawal business is no joke! Trying to be kind to myself and even a little proud to have made it this far.

#702 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Actually you are doing great SFP. You never know how hard it will hit someone. Most find the 3 week point just the beginning of the ordeal. You have been blessed for sure.

#703 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

I am down to only a few brain zaps a day. I'm at the stage where they surprise me because they're getting so rare. My stomach is still a little off, but once I watch not to eat too much crap I'm ok. My mood has been pretty stable for the last week, with a few minor surges of emotion (anger/wanting to cry) that had no identifiable cause.

I think I'm through the worst of it, fingers crossed. Took about 5 months to get from 90mg to 0.

Posting this for anyone who finds themselves struggling with tapering/coming off this drug. Reading forums like this helped me stay sane.

#704 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

It sounds like you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  How long have you been at 0 now?

#705 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

5 weeks on Monday.

#706 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

You are doing great then. Way to go!!

#707 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Well that didn't last. In pain again since last Tuesday. Near constant abdominal cramps. Constipation and diarrhoea. Acid reflux/regurgitation. Tired. Headaches.

Is this more cymbalta related stuff? Having bloods and ultrasound done to see if it's B12 deficiency related.

I was FINE. This is so frustrating. My mood has gone to tell too.

#708 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

The digestive issues are usually the first to appear and they usually fade away over the next 2 months. You may need to rely on OTC stomach meds in the mean time. Original Benadryl seems to help with the emotional problems. It can cause some sleepiness so be careful driving and such. It shouldn't be taken all the time as your body will build up tolerance to it and it won't work anymore. If the emotional issues get too bad you can dr to your dr about clonidine and/or hydroxyzine. Both are usually very helpful, go into effect in about an hour and have no withdrawal. Many drs recommend a benzo like Xanax or lorazepam but be cautious as they are very addictive and can have bad withdrawal.

#709 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply fishinghat. Do the digestive issues usually involve quite a bit of abdominal pain? Regular painkillers appear to have no real effect.

#710 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Abdominal pain is very common with the digestive issues. And remember that a lot of pain killers (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) causes the release of more acid and worse stomach pain and heartburn. A good proton pump inhibitor like Zantec often helps as does drinking warm water (nothing cold or hot) and/or a hot pad on the stomach. Your stomach is just another muscle so this is like putting a heating pad on a sore muscle to relax it just like we have all done after too much exercise , cramps or pulled muscles to help relieve the pain.

#711 StarfighterPilot

StarfighterPilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

One more question for you fishinghat (thanks for your patience) -have you ever come across liver pain in withdrawal?

Went to the Doctor and she ordered bloods to investigate, but she also examined my abdomen and there was a lot of tenderness around my liver. Had to have an ultrasound this morning.

Starting to wonder if this is cymbalta related or not. Maybe it's ibs, I know the serotonin decrease can mess with your digestive system.

I have definitely noticed that stress brings back the brain zaps btw. They never warn you about any of this stuff!!

#712 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

All ssri and snri antidepressants carry a warning about liver damage. The manufacturers recommend an annual liver function test (ast and alt analysis). While liver damage is unusual it does occur. It is typically not a symptom of withdrawal though.

Let us know how the liver function test comes out. It may be a good thing you are coming off this beast.

#713 Mimi9

Mimi9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

After 30 days cold turkey, I felt I would be moving consistently uphill by now, but it's one forward, two back.
The hot/cold/ hot thing is still going on
The diarrhea is still here
The weakness is still surprising me at the worst times
I finally feel like the itching is behind me
The sweating is still there, but not hquite as copious
Noise sensitivity, inability to concentrate, easily angered still. Have to close my eyes if car moving thru trees, filtered sunlight feels like a bad strobe light. Not driving much for that reason.
Sleep is all or none, long nap followed by restful sleep then nightmares and quasi sleep the next night.
I can eat more food now, but fruit still doesn't sound good. I used to live on fruit.
Who am I? Is this the new me? Would I have ended up here without the cymbalta? What was this masking all those productive pain free years?

#714 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

You will not wind up there Mimi. I sure remember the feelings of 'this will last' forever' but it does fade. The only problem is it is slow.  lol  You may never be exactly the same but you will be human and feel soooo much better than now.

#715 LisaMichele

LisaMichele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Hi all,
My first reply as I just joined. Have been taking cymbalta/duloxetine for 6 years--90 mg. For fibromyalgia. Recently( last oct) deciding I was feeling worse and starting weaning off all meds-- fentanyl,percocet,zanaflex,gabapentin-- I am now down to cymbalta. I tried 3 times in the past to get off of cymbalta and couldn't do it and begged to go back. Sad. This time I read a lot of posts in a lot of support groups. This is the best!

I went from 90 to 60 and stuck it out until things leveled off-- about 2 months. It wasn't horrible. Then 60 to 30 not fun.
Side effects:
Nausea
Tiredness
Elevated heart rate (bad)
Blood pressure up and down
Anxiousness
Depression --
Brain zaps and whooshing head
Dizziness
Restless legs and tingling

30 days on 30 mg. for another month and things did level out. Then I took the bead counting route. My 30 mg duloxetine has 6 pellets. I took one out and did that for 2 weeks. Same symptoms. Since then, I have taken out 1 bead a week-- I am now down to 3 beads which I assume is 15 mg. The symptoms actually seem to last less time and not as severe except the anxiousness and elevated heart rate-- but in about 3 days they get much better. Although I am sure when I get to -0- things may be worse I am doing much better than I expected.

I have started getting my energy back after getting off all the drugs. I cope better as I have found yoga and meditation and I am not dizzy for the first time in 6 years.
not to mention getting my libido back! Benedryl has also helped with the anxiousness and leg tingling and restlessness.

Thanks!

Stick with it-- you can do it. This site really helped me get started and stick with it.

#716 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Fantastic LM. I am so happy for you. You have done a great job. Hang in there and keep us posted.

#717 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Lisa, great post. Please do update us, it's appreciated.

You are doing good and you sure know the drill!

#718 LisaMichele

LisaMichele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I am down to 1 bead( of the 6 in my 30 mg). This is my third day. The first 2 weren't bad but today has been crazy. I can't even move my eyes from side to side without the whooshing ---and the dizziness has been quite bothersome-- but I do know that this will go away, and reading the many posts of the successes of others has helped tonight.

I always thought the cymbalta helped me cope with my fibro pain and I couldn't imagine what I would feel like without it. Turns out my mood and coping is just fine-- as a matter of fact I am very much more in tune with myself and others now --and calmer. And it did not help my pain. I didn't realize all the side affects I had from the cymbalta until I got off all the other drugs. I plan to tell my doctor about all the struggles on and off when I see her next month. Maybe she will think about giving patients more warnings before handing out that prescription the next time!
Thanks!
LM

#719 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

You are doing well LM. It is remarkable how thee subtle changes from Cymbalta can become part of our normal. Stay strong and try to avoid as much stress as possible.

#720 LisaMichele

LisaMichele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Eeeek! I went down to 0 cymbalta 4 days ago. You would think going from 5 mg to 0 wouldn't be huge but then again it is cymbalta!

Dizzy,brain whooshing (even when I blink)and moody. Very anxious! Been biting my husbands head off constantly-- funny he keeps growing a new one!

Dramamine helped.
Thx!
LM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users