• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum today. I've been on Cymbalta for just over a year at 60mg a day. I am terrible at taking medication, so a bottle of 30 will last me well over a month. I was prescribed it because other depression/anxiety meds would make me sick to my stomach straight out of the gate. When Id see my doctor she would ask if I took it every day and id say no. Sometimes id miss a dose here or there. She was so adamant that I took it every single day and never to miss a dose. Im thinking "oooookaaay???" And continued my terrible med taking routine.
A few months in, id have these episodes...where I'd be crying my eyes out, stressing beyond what was normal for me, and id have this strange noise in my head that made me want to gouge my ear drums out with a spoon. My fiancee, would ask a few questions while trying to comfort me, and we'd come to the conclusion that my anxiety was at its peak because i had missed a few days of cymbalta. Well, after a few more episodes like this, I would make sure I didn't miss as many doses, and life was a little more stable (in my head at least.)
Several months later, we moved an got a new doctor, and I explained these episodes I was having with this noise in my head, and he chalked it up to my blood pressure elevating high enough to "hear" it basically. Which is strange because generally my blood pressure is slighty lower than the average person, albeit still "normal"..and im also pretty young, still in my 20's during all this.
But anyways, a few months later my insurance changed and the cymbalta got slightly more expensive so I started researching how to come off of it. Generally id just stop a medication cold turkey like I did with zyprexa (it makes you gain weight, for all you woman out there!! 30lbs in just a few months... *falls over and dies* ) but all the commercials I see warn you to talk to your doc if you need to stop taking it. So I googled "comming off of cymbalta" and OMFG was I surprised. Very quickly I learned that my "elevated blood pressure" was actually "brain zaps"...come to think of it, I haven't seen my doctor since he told me that, but im going to see him tomorrow and I think ill inform him that if he's going to prescribe a medication, maybe he should research it, and then learn how to do math so he can put 2 and 2 together, and give his patients the correct answer. And then ill go look for a new doctor.
So anyway, the last couple months I've been skipping doses as much as possible to try and wean my body down some. I can go about 5 days before I get the zaps. Its not the way to do it, but I didn't know what else to do. Ill probably do what ive seen some people talk about, and bead count. Ill let y'all know how that goes. Thanks for listening. And I apologize if there's a bunch of typos....im on my lovely auto-correcting phone. :)
-Kate

#2 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

And im not sure if this is possible,.......
but I took my cymbalta on an empty stomach which is making me sick. I've spent more time in the bathroom at work then I have actually doing my job. But on top of that I stretched the limit in between my last dose and the dose I took today so I may be having withdrawals on top of being sick from taking the pill on empty stomach.

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

Welcome Kate

Unfortunately your doctor's knowledge about this drug is normal and most here can tell you.

Come back often and let us know how you are doing.

Since you seem to go quite awhile between doses before getting side effects I will recommend that you get a good vitamin with the full B complex and some omega3. Start both right away and that should help with the zaps.

If you have any questions or just need to vent we're here

We are just like you here in wanting to get off Crapalta so you are not alone.

There's lots of help here and if you have questions just ask.

Let us know how you are doing as we care as well as share our stories

Take care of you

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Yes Katie taking this drug on an empty stomach can make you sick to your stomach. Try to get something to eat even though you dont feel like eating.

Some yogurt or even tums or rolaids

#5 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

I actually just choked down a yogurt

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

that should help settle it if it stays there long enough.

Crapalta is hard on the stomach that is why you are supposed to take it with food

Hope you feel better soon

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

I would really suggest that you take a lower dose than trying to go so long without and then taking 60mg again.

If you don't have any 30mg capsules you can take out 1/2 the beads and take a 1/2 dose that way.

Save the beads you don't use in a pill bottle to use later just in case you need them.

#8 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Well, im gong to see my doctor today and ill get a new script. Not sure if I can get a mix of 60 and 30 ...or if I would be ok to get a script of just 30s. I mean, I can always double up if I have to.
Or I could just get 60s and take the beads out like you said.
I got a question though. If I take the beads out and put them aside, how can I safely take them later if I need them?

#9 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

Fiancee said "put them in applesauce and DO NOT CHEW" ...any other suggestions??
would hate to accidentally overdose on a pill that is supposed to "help" me ...which, imho, is total crap. I really hate cymbalta incase anyone wanted to know. I was so much more stable before my doc decided to medicate me. All I had was some anxiety issues and before I know it I was on cymbalta, xanax and zyprexa!! All im on now is cymbalta and pain meds(we wont talk about that...its a whole other issue that im trying unsuccessfully to do away with)

#10 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

You can split a capsule. Put what you want in one side and cap it off with peanut butter. Cap off the other one too and it should last a while.

#11 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Ooh. That's a good idea. Thanks!

#12 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Also, there are 20mg pills. Most doctors aren't aware of this, I went from 120, to 90, to 60, to 30, to 20, then every other 36 hours, 48, and now..... six days. This process has taken about one year. Don't panic. There is no fast way and no doctor will even admit there's an issue so listen to these wise people and they will get you through. Also, you might want your fiancee look up "Cymbalta Withdrawal" on the internet. 

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Good suggestions everyone. You can also get empty capsules at the pharmacy so that you can make up your own doses which is what I did.

I didn't know that the 20mg were even available in the US, I knew they were in other countries but not here.

The capsules aren't hard to take apart so making up your own smaller doses is not hard to do and the number of beads inside a 60mg seems to be 200 everywhere whereas the 30mg can range from 180 to 300 beads and they are much smaller.

I would open the capsules over a large plate or bowl to start with til you get the hang of it. The first few that I opened I had beads all over lol.

Take care of you

#14 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

My fiancee is also on cymbalta and has done his research as well. He's not sure if he wants to come off because its being used to help control his pain. But after everything I've told him, he might reconsider.

#15 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Awesome. Saw my doctor just now. When I told him I wanted to come off, he was going to just wean me off like I expected. But I told him about the bead count method and I've got his support. So now im going to stabilize myself for a few days and begin the countdown to freedom!!
He also told me I should consider quitting smoking ...I laughed in his face and told him "one battle at a time"

#16 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes this would be a terrible time to quit smoking, I know as I was a light smoker until I stopped the Crapalta now I smoke double what I was and it seems to be a compulsive thing. LOL
One thing at a time is right. But thinking now, stopping smoking should be much easier after this lol.

#17 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

I've quit smoking before. Then I quit for 3 years. But when I got my current job, I started smoking within 6mo because of the high stress. And I've been with my company for 5.5 years now. Back then I wasn't mediated at all. I've been working overnight for 4.5 years and I've been at my current location for just over 3 years. For some reason this location is alot more stressful for me and it brought on several anxiety attacks. One of my bosses has a way about him that just gets my anxiety going. Which is why I started meds in the first place.
On a side note. Does anyone know when they put the tiny tiny little note in the massive insert for cymbalta?? I have a lawyer friend looking into filing a lawsuit. But im not sure if its possible anymore, but if they put it in less than a year ago, I might have a leg to stand on. When I was first put on the meds my doctor gave me the sample packages they had in the office, and there were no papers in the box that I can remember. If I dig around I might be able to find the pharmacy papers too, to see if there were any warnings about withdrawals. Straight up, had I known, id never have started this poison.

#18 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

The only type of warning regarding stopping on my insert is:

"Do not stop Cymbalta or change your dose without talking to your healthcare provider, as you could have side effects."

There is all kinds of warnings about problems while on it but nothing other than the one line about stopping.

My doctor didn't know it would be a problem as I am the first patient of his to go off of it as he doesn't prescribe it much.

And there is still no Discontinuation Protocol, not even on their website.

On the Prescribing Information sheet they did add this:

"Discontinuation of Treatment with Cymbalta (5.7) 08/2012"

But that would not have been anything we would have had access to unless we had gone looking for it.

Here is the link to the sheet. http://pi.lilly.com/us/cymbalta-pi.pdf

You may have already looked at this but if not I hope it helps.

#19 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

I got a new script for it today cause I ran out. But the doc had to preapprove with my insurance company cause its been over a year since the first preapproval, so they gave us some samples. Inside the samples this time I did get an insert, and there was one tiny warning about stopping it. And it did include alot of the withdrawal symptoms. It also said 1% or greater of patients experience the symptoms. They also make it sound like it'd no big deal, just like when any pharmaceutical companies talk about side effects, its usually a very small percentage that get said side effects. So the average person probably thinks "oh well its only 1% or greater, so it probably wont be me" which is total bullshit. Cause its actually what, 40% or greater that experience the withdrawals? They need to put that in their insert. If im able to sue, im not seeking monetary gain, I want that company to change their insert and include a more noticeable section about the withdrawals, including a more accurate percentage, so that patients can get more educated information.

#20 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

You can see on the Prescribing Information sheet that they made the changes on that 8/12 that would be august 2012, so they would not have made any changes to the patient info before that. Crazy really that all their information is rather vague and doesn't really address the issue of informing the patient. I think that is my biggest complaint about the whole thing is that I was not given adequate information about this drug.

"Do not stop Cymbalta or change your dose without talking to your healthcare provider, as you could have side effects." is on almost every Rx med I have had and "you could have side effects" does not even begin to cover what I have been through even though I did taper down to about 10mg before having to stop completely. Even tapering was not side effect free.

I really hope that you are successful with this. I hate the thought of others having to go through the ordeal we have been.

Take care of you

#21 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yeah see, i was already on the meds for more than 8 months by that point. I can totally understand that there is a certain amount of discretion with pharmaceutical companies when it comes to side effects and withdrawal symptoms , that way they can push their drugs better, but cymbalta crossed the line, imo. With pain killers, its no big secret that they're addictive. Maybe it cause they've been out longer and they worked all that out before I even knew what a percocet was. But lily has had how many years? 10 or more?? And they only revised the insert 6 mo ago? Come on..
Im definitely going to try and sue the company. My lawyer friend says its a long shot, but he's a criminal defense lawyer and he just recently finished his bar. But he's got connections in that world, and more knowledge than I do. So we'll see what he and I can dredge up.

#22 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Awesome. Saw my doctor just now. When I told him I wanted to come off, he was going to just wean me off like I expected. But I told him about the bead count method and I've got his support. So now im going to stabilize myself for a few days and begin the countdown to freedom!!
He also told me I should consider quitting smoking ...I laughed in his face and told him "one battle at a time"

hi and welcome- lol at the doctors and their 'brilliant' timing over the smoking issues! I received one of those letters from the surgery yesterday, that they are starting to send out to all patients who smoke. 'We note from your records that you are a smoker, smoking kills, etc, please contact us for assistance with this'.

it was the only thing on Day 5 Withdrawal that made me laugh out loud, it's the least of our problems right now!! but bless them for um, caring:(

#23 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Yes, quitting smoking while quitting Cymbalta is really not possible, it makes it way harder! I'm gaining weight too, but I figure once I can walk again without falling down these two "issues" will correct themselves.

#24 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yeah...like its been said before, I don't think the doctors really understand the severity of the withdrawals, so they dont understand that quitting both would be very bad.
And thank you all for the warm welcomes :) makes a girl feel good. Lol.
I haven't yet started my weaning. I figured ill probably wait until my days off to begin. Im going to start the bead count, but I think im going to try and start at 30mg. Only because I can go several days before the withdrawal starts. I got my 60mg script so I only have to deal with 200 beads. Not sure what to expect, but im really not looking forward to it. If it goes bad, I might look into a medical leave of absence from work ...who knows.

#25 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

It will be alright katiedud, you will handle it and when you need some support and encouragement we will be here to lean on.

Just remember that you are not alone, all of us will understand how you are feeling and we will all be cheering you on.

That is why this website works for all of us, we share and we really care.

Take care of you

#26 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Well, I haven't taken a cymbalta since Monday morning ..but I started getting zaps and dizziness today. So I opened a 60mg and took 50 beads out before I got tired of dealing with it. My goal was to start weaning down at 100 beads...but ill settle for 150.
I've had a crappy day. Got a shut off notice from my Electric company..but I didn't get it until a few days ago..and now they can't promise that they won't shut my electric off even tho I've set up payment arrangements. So i've spent the better part of my morning in tears. With $0 to my name and a week til I get paid. And when my child comes home I have to paint a happy face. Poor kid has gone thru enough in her 12 years. She doesn't need to deal with my mood.
As much as I hate this F'n medicine, I have to stabilize myself before she comes home!! *sigh*

#27 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Oh Katie I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with these other problems as well as the Crapalta.

It is best that you not go cold turkey from 60mg as the side effects can be truly agonizing. Please set yourself up enough pills at 30mg for about a week while you are feeling better. Then take 30mg a day for a week before you try stopping again. It will be so much better for you and for your daughter. Twelve is such an impressionable age and like you said she doesn't need to see you suffering.

I really recommend a slow taper from 30mg but that is your decision.

You really should sit down with her and explain that you are trying to stop taking this drug. She is old enough that she will know that something is going on and it will be so much better for her to hear from you that it can cause side effects such as the mood swings, irritability, dizziness etc. She could be your best supporter if she understands what is going on.

Take care of you because I care

#28 mgpam

mgpam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Katie,

i share your worry about the effect on kids.  My kids are 12 and 15, and watching Dad suffer with Cymbalta withdrawal has been really horrible.  I've talked with them a lot about why Dad is trying to get off these drugs, but they are so young they aren't equipped to handle Dad's extreme mood swings.  Come to think of it, i'm not very well equipped either. :)

Hubby is on day 21 today off of Cymbalta.  Yesterday was bad.  Benadryl has been helping hubby with the breathing today.  Plus we put him back on a low dose of Zoloft while we get through the Cymbalta withdrawals.  That is helping too.  He still has the muscle pain and upset stomach and other things, but at least feeling much better emotionally.  Then we will be asking his new doctor to switch him to Prozac which is longer acting so that he can wean down and off using Prozac instead of Zoloft.  I'm starting to think this may be a much better approach, at least for him, to getting off of the Cymbalta, that way he only has to deal with the norepinephrine brain shortage withdrawal symptoms for now.

#29 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

It is very hard for some to get off Cymbalta, online there are many stories of people having to change to a different SSRI drug with a longer half life to help with the withdrawals. The longer the half life the less likely to develop discontinuation syndrome when stopping.

I really hope that your husband starts to get some relief soon as it is so terribly hard to deal with all the pain. I have suffered from Chronic pain for too many years and anything that makes it worse makes everything so much harder to deal with.

Katie and mg - you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers

Take care of you

#30 katiedud

katiedud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Thanks guys. Im not going cold turkey I just stretch the limits as much as I can between doses. I took 50 beads out of a 60 mg and ill start the taper down from there. My daughter is pretty understanding of things. I just hate being miserable with her. She usually starts her questions off with "are you in a good mood right now?" ..lil
Thanks guys for your support!! And best of luck mgpam with your hubbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users