#31 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, I couldn't do it  :unsure:

I ended up taking a capsule with 15 beads. I figured I might as well stretch this out a bit more do the 5 bead decrease instead. And, that is ok. I will take a capsule with 10 beads tonight and then 5 and then maybe another one with 5 before I completely quit.

It's ok. I can make this choice.

#32 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

There is nothing wrong with that Rasarob. The bottom line is to reach 0.

#33 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well, I couldn't do it  :unsure:

I ended up taking a capsule with 15 beads. I figured I might as well stretch this out a bit more do the 5 bead decrease instead. And, that is ok. I will take a capsule with 10 beads tonight and then 5 and then maybe another one with 5 before I completely quit.

It's ok. I can make this choice.

Hi Rasrob

It is a good idea to go slow with those last beads to avoid any problems. Iwish I could have gone slower than I did but I had to be off because of what was happening while on. If I could have gone slower it would have been better.

Stretch it out if you need to and you will avoid some of the side effects. Others have taken 5 beads a day for a few weeks before getting off completely. Whatever works for you.

Take care

#34 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

I am decreasing to 10 beads and will stay with that a couple of days. I leave for a long weekend to visit family and a wedding! So, I don't want to crash and burn...

The Minfulness Based Stress Reduction class is really a good thing to have now. It is a challenge, but I notice a difference. It is coming at a perfect time.

No wifi for the next few days...until later!

#35 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Good idea not to rush with it Rasrob.

Hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding and with your family.

We will be thinking about you.

Take care of you

#36 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

no rush Rasrob, take it at your own time x

#37 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have had several days of slowing down my withdrawal. It really has helped diminish the weird spongebrain. I am more emotional. I wonder though...it seems better to have emotions surface and deal with them then mask them with cymbalta. I suppose it I am not able to deal and manage later, I will have to rethink this.

It just seems like years since I felt simple anger, crying at sad things, and joyfulness. I want to say "Hello, old friends! I've missed you!"

Very stiff, more stiffness than pain from the fibro. I will try to include exercise now that my travels are over.

I am enjoying the Mindfulness Class a lot. I hope this habit stays around for a while!

So, last night I didn't take anything! And today, I am still ok! :)

#38 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hang in there rasrob. Your emotional swings should level off some once your body gets used to controlling your seratonin rather than having the Cymbalta do it. Take your time.

#39 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Thanks, fishinghat. I hadn't thought about that.

I have a month before school starts. Hope that is enough time. I am taking a seratonin supplement with others so I hope that stablizes sooner rather than later.

Take my time.

#40 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi Rasrob

You will be fine by the time school starts. You have done very well to this point and I see no reason for that to change.  

If you find things get a little rough you can always take 1, 2 or 3 beads just to level off. There is no reason to hurry this now. The smoother the ride off the better for you healthwise and mentally.

It is scary I know but just keep yourself busy doing the things you love and it will be okay.

How was the wedding and your visit with family?

Take care of you dear

#41 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I am sleeping much better than I have for a long time. What a difference that makes!

Thanks for asking!  I had a great time with my family and the wedding was wonderful! Young Love is a Joy to Watch! I was able to spend some time with siblings that I only see once a year due to where we have all spread out to live. I had some car trouble, but fortunately had several family members step up to help me get that sorted out before I had to drive back.

I know it is harder now because I find myself missing them and watching the youngest babies grow up without knowing me.

I am doing pretty welll. I just seem to notice the instant emotional response to sad things a lot now. But, I know that will level off too.

Day 2-Cymbalta free. I am taking more seratonin and Gaba to help through these days.

#42 tdgregory

tdgregory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I believe that the Cymbalta has caused my fibro.  I took it for depression first, and for 4 years, following drs. orders and increasing dosage eventually up to 90mg, my fibro seemed to get worse.  Thank goodness for the internet.  There is a lot posted by others who have these same thoughts that the drug causes the muscle pains associated with fibro.  Have you tried massage?  I LOVE a deep tissue massage and can handle the pressure.  Fibro?  I think the dr. is wrong.  

I have tried 3 times previously to get off Cymbalta without success.  The brain zaps did me in every time.  This time, when I researched new ways to try again, I ran across a web site, TRB Health products.  I have been using their products and methods and so far have tapered down from 90 mg to 25 mg in 2 months.  Every other day I count out 5 more beads that the last 2 days.  The first day is a little dizzy, but the second day is good.  From 90 mg down to 30 mg was actually a breeze.  Below 30 mg has been much more challenging.  I had hoped to be off of it by the time school started, but don't think I will make it.  Looks like I will be at this a couple more months.  BUT the TRB products have helped tremendously!  And they sell via Amazon.com, (thankgoodness for the credit card)  So overall, it will take me 4 to 6 months to get completely off.

#43 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

I am sleeping much better than I have for a long time. What a difference that makes!

Thanks for asking!  I had a great time with my family and the wedding was wonderful! Young Love is a Joy to Watch! I was able to spend some time with siblings that I only see once a year due to where we have all spread out to live. I had some car trouble, but fortunately had several family members step up to help me get that sorted out before I had to drive back.

I know it is harder now because I find myself missing them and watching the youngest babies grow up without knowing me.

I am doing pretty welll. I just seem to notice the instant emotional response to sad things a lot now. But, I know that will level off too.

Day 2-Cymbalta free. I am taking more seratonin and Gaba to help through these days.

Hi Rasrob

Glad you had a good time at the wedding. It is so nice to see family on such a happy occasion. I know what you mean about missing them as I am a long ways away from my family too. I have a bunch of nieces and nephews that I am missing and missing out on seeing their babies grow.

I am glad to hear that the GABA is helping. I never did find a place to buy it around here so have stayed with the L-theanine. What is the brand you have? I'm also curious about the seratonin you are taking. What is the name of it and where did you get it?

I always want to know stuff like that so that I can see if it will help me and if not me then maybe someone else.

Take care of you

#44 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

I believe that the Cymbalta has caused my fibro.  I took it for depression first, and for 4 years, following drs. orders and increasing dosage eventually up to 90mg, my fibro seemed to get worse.  Thank goodness for the internet.  There is a lot posted by others who have these same thoughts that the drug causes the muscle pains associated with fibro.  Have you tried massage?  I LOVE a deep tissue massage and can handle the pressure.  Fibro?  I think the dr. is wrong.  

I have tried 3 times previously to get off Cymbalta without success.  The brain zaps did me in every time.  This time, when I researched new ways to try again, I ran across a web site, TRB Health products.  I have been using their products and methods and so far have tapered down from 90 mg to 25 mg in 2 months.  Every other day I count out 5 more beads that the last 2 days.  The first day is a little dizzy, but the second day is good.  From 90 mg down to 30 mg was actually a breeze.  Below 30 mg has been much more challenging.  I had hoped to be off of it by the time school started, but don't think I will make it.  Looks like I will be at this a couple more months.  BUT the TRB products have helped tremendously!  And they sell via Amazon.com, (thankgoodness for the credit card)  So overall, it will take me 4 to 6 months to get completely off.

Hi tdgregory

I have heard some good things about TRB products but couldn't get a list of ingredients for the products I was interested in and I have too many allergies to risk buying something without knowing what is in it first.

I do agree with you that this nasty drug makes pain worse. I have chronic pain and even a few months on that crap had me dealing with more pain than usual. I was off for almost 12 weeks before my pain levels returned to normal. They say it is called rebound pain and it can occur while taking the drug. This drug is supposed to help with pain but it doesn't work for about 50% of those who take it for pain. Bad odds as far as I'm concerned.

It is better to take your time with that last 30mg. For some reason below 30mg is harder and the lower you get the more patient you have to be. No sense rushing it and then having all the nasty side effects after all your hard work. It is so worth it in the end.

Take care

#45 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

tdgregory...hope it goes better this time. I also thing the slower route is easier to handle. It took me a long time to slowly wean off of the last 10 as I had come off fairly quickly, but was finding the side effects of doing that too much.

I am managing Day 6 without but noticed a few bouts of lightheadedness and get really tired/sleepy.

My muscles are very stiff so I hobble whenever I stand up and try to walk until I loosen them up. I am trying yoga for the first time as part of mindfulness class. This stretching seems to help, but have only tried it 2 days. I am hoping this will make a difference in muscle stiffness. I will not be embarassed in class by my lack of flexibility. I am working to be healthier. Good job!

Good news, when I press those fibro trigger points, they are not tender or painful. I am amazed by this.

It is very helpful hearing how long these rebound effects can last. I've noticed tears are not as near to the surface, but still there.

#46 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have now been Cymbalta free for 2 weeks. My head is cleared of sponge-brain for the most part. I am amazed at the sense of clarity I feel when I am outside. It is as if my senses had been dulled and now are cleared out and I see things around me differently. I have so enjoyed this.

I am sleeping so much better. I have added a VegaLite protein shake which is helping me develop some energy stamina for the day. This brand was highly recommended and I don't mind the taste at all. As I try to ease into exercise, I hope my energy increases. The overall fatigue I lived with is diminished, but I am not teaching...so that is a huge factor. Just a couple of weeks left.

Emotionally, the mindfulness training is really helpful with that.

It feels like a full time job to get myself  healthy sometimes. But, I feel so much better than when I was on 90 mgs of Cymbalta over a year ago.

When I see my doc next, I will deliver a strongly worded reproach to his advice of "Just Quit" when I asked how to get off these last 20 mgs of the past year.

Hope lives in my heart!

#47 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi rasrob

So good to hear from you. What a good example you are of how to do this right. You should be giving others directions on how to taper off Crapalta without major side effects. The slow way definitely seems like the best way to beat this drug.

You can definitely teach that doctor of yours a thing or two about getting off antidepressants.

After all the hard work you have done to get free of this drug I am sure that you will get yourself healthy again.

Physically I am getting better all the time but unfortunately the emotional and mental issues are still a problem. I still can't believe what a mess this horrible drug has made of my life.

Take care of you

Congrats on doing so well. It is awesome.

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Congrats on your success rasrob. Good job.

#49 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks lady2882Nancy and fishinghat.

I am glad I found this community and advice and honest sharing of experience or I would not have been able to do this. I think if I had "just quit" then the side effects would have made me think I needed to continue to be on Cymbalta after all.

Thank you for all the encouragement and support. And I will be checking in! When I get through the whole year, I will know it is licked!

#50 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Anyone there?

I have had the hardest 3 weeks. It took a major effort to move into my new school, pack up old stuff, unpack my stuff and be ready by the Open House. 3 days into workshop week and I learned a student from last year that had a degenerative disease passed away the night before. I felt like a floodgate of grief opened. I know I am mourning the loss of this amazing life and the parents have one other son that has the same thing. They are fighting for his life. The day after that I learned I will have a wheel-bound chair student with MD. The person informed me that even though her condition is guarded, she may die...

Too much. I don't want to be in the grade I have but took it as it was the only one open. Room is crammed and I am getting new students and the wheel chair can't move around very easily.

People are wanting to help me by telling me how to reorganize my room, but the deep levels of fatigue, I can't bear the thought of any of that. While I am already seeing the great things in these students, there are some other really troubled ones there that I can't connect with.

I feel completely overwhelmed and that leftover Cymbalta is calling me.

Anyone ever get off and have to go back on then try to get off again?

Anyone?

#51 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi rasrob

Sounds like things have been really rough for you these last weeks. I can relate. I have been doing a rollercoaster on and off different meds trying to find something that will work without causing life threatening side effects.

I haven't been coping all that well either so can understand the temptation.

Don't go back on the cymbalta. Try another antidepressant like lexapro or zoloft instead. They are much easier to get off of afterwards and you will be surprised at how quickly you will feel better.

With everything you have going on right now you may need some help (a med) and that is understandable. The long term side effects of stopping the cymbalta won't last forever but can affect our ability to cope for months. I am finding that those feelings of being overwhelmed and that things are just too hard or too tiring is very common but the good news is that they will end, sometimes we just need some help getting there.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Take care of you

Nancy

#52 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Thank you. Long term side effects of stopping cymbalta...I think this is what is also happening. Lexapro or zoloft-I have heard of but don't know anyone that takes them. But, I will keep them in mind. I will try to hold out a bit longer. This was the hardest start up and if I can make it through a few days without dissolving after the students leave, I will feel more hopeful.

Really, thank you for being there. I hope that you will also soon find something that makes a difference for you.

#53 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Rasrob, because of the trouble I had with cymbalta withdrawal I was put on 10 mg lexapro. Within 2 days I felt much better. Lexapro is a weak ssri and is not an snri so it is a lot less potent drug. Something for you to consider.

#54 buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm in the throes of withdrawal (even though I did my best to bead count). I'm here for help and support, and would love to offer support and encouragement who are going through the same....

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hey there...I echo Nancy....don't go back on cymbalta, try something else. I went off cymbalta 6 months ago. I suffered through the withdrawals for 3-4 months. Got better, and then I developed sports a injury and couldn't run. I went straight down into another depressive abyss after that, about 2 months ago. Now I'm back on prozac....just started though, so it'll take a while before I feel better. At least prozac is milder and since it has such a long half-life, it exits your body very slowly so no withdrawals. If you have to go back on something try the milder ones like, lexapro, zoloft, or prozac. I was on cymbalta for 2 years, and if I forgot ONE lousy pill, I got sick as a dog (dizzy nauseous, headache). I don't want to ever take an A/D ever again that is this dose-dependent. If I forgot a prozac, it was no big deal.

Best of luck to you...hang in there

buzzbuzz

#55 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

I thank you all for sharing your experiences honestly.

I feel like with the added grief, changes to a much more challenging student body, I will talk to doc about Lexapro, mild dosage. I started thinking today I wasn't sure if I could keep teaching. And I am usually pretty good. Nothing in me to stand on just now it seems.

Fishinghat...how long did you stay on Lexapro or still on it? Just wondering.

I will try to call tomorrow to see a doc.

But, wonder of wonders, fibro is tolerable so that is a plus I need to be mindful of.

#56 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I started Lexapro in May and was to stay on it until I come off the benzo. BUT change of plan. My dr has decided to take me off of it because of a new warning from FDA. People over 60 should not take Celexa. Lexapro is almost chemically identical to Celexa, so to be safe I am being switched to Prozac. Rats!!! The Lexapro was working fine. That's life.

#57 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Fishinghat-wow-if it's not one thing, it's another.

Do you know why no Celexa over 60? Curious...

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Sorry Rasrob, I didn't see your posting. The warning was for severe cardiac arythmias.

#59 rasrob

rasrob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Pretty serious stuff. I am going to try and get through this a few more weeks before I try anything. Prozac didn't do well with me years ago when I was first trying things.

#60 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi rasrob

I'm so sorry to hear that things have not been all that great for you. Life hasn't been all that great for me as well. The Crapalta doesn't seem to want to let go of some of us easily.

I went on a very low dose of Sertraline (generic Zoloft) for about 4 weeks and it helped me get over the hump of self doubt and anxiety. I couldn't stay on it but the general nameless anxiety I was having did not come back afterwards so that was a big plus for me. There is absolutely no shame in going on something to get your life back. Just do as low a dose as you can and get one with a long half life (24 hours or more) so that it is easy to get off it when you want. 

I keep losing weight due to some changes in my other meds the doctors feel they had to make and every time I do I get some withdrawal all over again. I don't even need to weight myself to see if I lost more pounds as the side effects let me know. Sucks big time.

I still read most of the new postings but I don't post myself to the site as much as I used to as I am going through other problems stirred up by the Crapalta and I won't lie and say that everything is wonderful when it isn't. It feels like this freaking drug almost destroyed me but I am a survivor and I will not give up.

Don't you give in to it either. You can beat this crap, I know you can.

Take care of you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users