• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shawna

shawna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

This year i decided for the sake of my kids and family i needed to take my self off this medication because i really don't feel that this medication is helping or has helped me.  I have RSD and have been going through so much pain and BS for the past 6 yrs now.  I've been on cymbalta, lyrica, methadone, norcos and than to injections.  Now I had a really bad overdose back Feb, 2010 with a amitriptaline that my doctor put me on, but than they said i had to start taking cymbalta, at first ya sure i thought it was doing something for me but that realized it was only tearing me away from my family and hurting them. So this yr i had decided to take my self off all my medications in order to save me with my family especially my kids.  But I've been off this medication for 5 days now and i still feel like sh*&.  The only way i can really describe it as is like i keep feeling like i have a head full of sea shells. when i move really fast or when i'm sitting down to get up it feels like my head is full of sea shells. has anyone felt this way? plus not really sure if it was a good idea for me to do this, but i can't take the feeling that im loosing my kids while being on this medication. please if anyone else had this or can tell me when the feelings will go away i would really appreciate it. i just really want me, myself, my life back.

Thanks

Shawna 

#2 JoeFarley

JoeFarley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

On Cymbalta for 4 months. Went to renew my script and the Rx was out. Last 60 mg dose on Friday. Returned Monday only to find with the new year my script would be $199.99. So, I have been off Cymbalta now for 4 days and I am as dizzy as I have EVER been. Wife is an RN so have been eating cranberry sauce??? and drinking a small lake of water since Sunday. How much longer can I expect to be bed ridden? Dreams getting good, almost like Chantex.

#3 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Welcome, Joe and Shawna.   It's hard to believe that I stumbled upon this forum only about 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I feel like I've been here much longer.   There are so many helpful and insightful people here.  I'm sure you will find some information that will be helpful to you. 

I can only speak for my own experiences (every situation is unique).   I was taking 60 mg of Cymbalta and decided to come off of it for similar reasons to you, Shawna.   I was taking it for neuropathic pain related to cervical discectomy I had 2 years ago.   I had tried everything from Ibuprofen to Lyrica to Hydrocodone...etc.   My doctor finally had me take Cymbalta.   I didn't really notice much improvement, but I figured I would give it time.  I was on it for less than a year (60 mg/day).   It was like I had become a completely different person.  All I wanted to do was avoid the world and hide.  I work in medical sales, so I have to be out and about all day.  I was always sweating - even when it was freezing.  It was like the inside of my body was on fire and I couldn't cool down.   I had started getting dizzy and always walked around in (what felt like) a daze.  

So...my doctor started me on the reduction by dropping me from 60 mg to 30 mg.    I was fine for about the first 4 days, then I started getting a mild headache which quickly turned into what was the worst combination of symptoms I have ever experienced.   My head felt like it was going to explode, I had horrible vertigo (that was a new experience for me), and I felt so dizzy that I could hardly move without feeling nauseous.  I don't know how I got through work that week.   Shawn, you description of your head being full of shells is a unique description.  I never thought of it that way, but I sure felt like my head was moving on it's own (inside and outside).  Then I started having those bizarre electrical-like pulses through my head that would come out of nowhere.  That's when I started searching online and found this forum.   

I know that there is only a small percentage of people who experience these severe side effects (I believe the statistics say about 5%).  But for those that have them, it can be awful.   Immediately, I took the advice of some of the folks here of using the "bead counting" method.  I thought it was a bit crazy, but I was desperate.  I immediately went back to the 60 mg from the 30 mg (by that time I had been taking it about 7 days) and began to try the bead-reduction process.   Within 24 hours, I felt great.  Well...I felt like I did before I started coming off of Cymbalta, anyway.   Throughout the process, I experimented with taking out more beads per day, but when I got down to about 30 beads, I had to slow down to removing only 1 bead per day.   I am now down to 28.   

So...I share all of that because both of your experiences sound extremely familiar (to mine and several other people).  I am no doctor, but as a fellow "Cymbaltite," I would recommend that both of you consider tapering off of this medication much more slowly.   Joe, I understand that there is a generic version of Cymbalta that is much less expensive.  If you are wanting to continue taking it, you might ask.  I have heard mixed reviews and understand that the beads do not have the enteric coating which can impact your stomach/digestive tract.   Regardless, of which choice either of you makes, I certainly extend my empathy.   Listen to what some of the other members have to say.  I wanted to share my experience and advice.  Hopefully, you will find a solution quickly.  I know how paralyzing this experience can be.   

The good news, is that I haven't missed a day of work through this whole process.   It only took 1 day to get back on track.  It's been a slower process than I would have wished, but with the encouragement from people here who understand, it's a manageable and hopeful journey.  

Again, welcome to the group.  We are all here for you if you need any support.   

#4 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Ditto Timbo, I was on 60mg Cymbalta ( CRAPALTA ) for 10 yrs . I was suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD & was experiencing panic attacks & chronic anxiety.
In hindsight I wish I had done things differently & not suffered as badly as I have .
I need to stress to you that you need to do it SLOWLY & like Timbo said , count beads, it's the best way & you shoul experience the least side effects from the withdrawal .

I went from 60mg to zero in approx 2 weeks & am now 8 wks into my withdrawing , I've suffered immensely & still am .
A dreadful journey for sure.

Please listen to everyone that gives you good advise & go slow ..don't go COLD TURKEY ..
Good Luck to you both.

#5 Lad

Lad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

Welcome Shawna!

Welcome Joe!

I too am a recovering "CRACKalta" addict. I am 10.5 weeks cold turkey and will speak only from my own experience. AVOID cold turkey if at all possible. It was hell for the first month with horrible brain fog (that caused me to self impose a driving moratorium), Rage, muscle spasms, RAGE, anxiety, RAGE, gastric problems, RAGE, headache, RAGE...... You get the picture.

We all have our own reasons for wanting to be free of this poison. I had lost all ability to concentrate or form short term memories, I had years of spasm induced back pain (unknowingly caused by crackalta) personal withdrawal, alcohol overuse, apathy, blah blah blah....... I wanted off and I "needed" off before my son was born. Hindsight I would  have done the slow taper but what's done is done.

This forum is a wonderful place to find others who've been there done that. My best suggestion is to read lots of posts! The old posts are still a great place to get info and the current ones provide ongoing support.

If you do go the cold turkey route, my experience seems typical by my reading. Week 1 unpleasant, weeks 2-4 horrible. Month 2 significantly better but no picnic. At week 9 I hit extreme anxiety but the muscle spasms subsided. The last couple of days have actually been pretty good. I am a big guy though so the whole "fat soluble" issue may be coming into play.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go. We're pullin' for ya, We're all in this together.

Lad

#6 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Welcome Shawna and Joe!!!! We're all here for y'all! It's not easy but there is hope and you will get through this! Read, as much as you can, the posts, share with your family, ask them to read here too! It does help them to understand what you're going through. Prayers and hugs for you 2! clara

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Great posts. I can only say I could NOT go turkey...I am doing the SLOW bead count. 
However y'all are in my prayers for success as we go down this horrible road to freedom from Cymbalta.

I will say that I've found myself knocking on hells front door, now inside and making my way out the back door in approx 70 more days!

It is with the help of the members/friends on this forum that I've made it this far. I have a very supportive 

family as well. My DH and DD both have read many posts here on the forum. This has helped them to

understand what it is that I am going  through.

May God help me 2 make it through...

Much Love,

Many Prayers and hope always "hope" for all of us here!

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#8 grandmax2

grandmax2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLOCKPORT, NEW YORK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Ditto Timbo, I was on 60mg Cymbalta ( CRAPALTA ) for 10 yrs . I was suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD & was experiencing panic attacks & chronic anxiety.
In hindsight I wish I had done things differently & not suffered as badly as I have .
I need to stress to you that you need to do it SLOWLY & like Timbo said , count beads, it's the best way & you shoul experience the least side effects from the withdrawal .

I went from 60mg to zero in approx 2 weeks & am now 8 wks into my withdrawing , I've suffered immensely & still am .
A dreadful journey for sure.

Please listen to everyone that gives you good advise & go slow ..don't go COLD TURKEY ..
Good Luck to you both.

Tried cold turkey....lasted two days.....I am listening.....SLOWWWWW is for me! thanks everyone.

#9 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Best of luck GMX2!  You are among friends, here.  You're gonna get through this, my friend!  We're all in the same crappy (aka CRAPalta) boat!  ;-) 

#10 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I had been taking Cymbalta for about 2 years and asked to switch to another med as this  was still too expensive even with my insurance.  I was prescribed Venlafaxine.  I was taking the Cymbalta with Lyrica for fibro and depression.  Was also prescribed a generic for the Lyrica.  I wanted to get off these drugs and about 3 weeks ago I just quit cold turkey.  I feel that I am taking way too many meds and this was a start.  I admit I was extremely ignorant of the fact that this would cause withdrawal.  I felt that my head would explode for the first 2 weeks - that has finally gone away.  I had no appetite for the same length of time and today I actually felt hungry and ate with no side effects.  I was never sick to my stomach but sure felt strange and I knew it wasn't the flu.  I feel so uninformed and stupid for what I did, but I think the worst is over.  I don't see my Dr. until next month and will tell him then as I feel the worst is over.   Is it??

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

You should be on the mend by your description. But like you said, you will know by your next dr appointment. Don't be too surprised if you have a bad day still every now and then.

#12 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

Dear TryinginFl, Hopefully you are past the worst of it! Please, please, do not feel stupid or ignorant! It's a lot of the doctors fault for not giving us the info we need on these crappo meds, in my opinion.!!! It's soooo easy to fall into the trap of negative thinking, why I don't know, but it is. It's very detrimental to recovery! I know b/cause I have been there! Do whatever Positive thing you can do, reading, television, music, games, whatever, when those negative things pop up! Distraction from them does help! Keep us posted! We all care and offer whatever knowledge and wisdom we have gained in this journey!!!! Hugs and prayers for you!!!  clara :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users