8 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hello, Just found this site. Thank God.

I've been on 30 mg for 4 months. As it does not help my condition, anxiety and depression, even worsens it, my doctor and I decided it was time to quit. She finally realized it was menopausal related, lack of estrogene.

She suggested going to 15 mg for 2 weeks, then off.

After reading posts, I'm a bit confused

I would like your advice on this. I want that out of my system asap, but dont want to go nuts while doing it.

Thanks, Gail

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Gail welcome to the support forum. I would not do this method of coming off of Cymbalta. I followed the instructions given me per my pain physician. I was prescribed Cymbalta for pain due to osteoarthritis of my lower back. To come off this drug in this manner would be difficult. It was for me anyway. I then found this forum and learned how to come off this nasty drug using the bead counting method. It is a bit tedious but lots better than the step method. The bead counting is a linear fashion of slowly weaning off Cymbalta. Look in the topic and you will find how to do this.

fishinghat and thismoment are the two ppl here who helped me when I first came on board. I'm sure the will see your post and be able to give you specific instructions on how to wean off. If we wean off to fast we will begin to have withdrawal symptoms and they are horrible.

Glad that you are here and so many ppl willing to share their experiences with you.

Again welcome and let us know how you're doing.

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hi Gail. 

I agree with Equuawoman.

After 4 months you will need to wean off slowly. The severity of discontinuation varies, and hopefully your experience will be a mild one. The cold turkey method your doctor prescribed could be difficult if you are susceptible to discontinuation side-effects. 

If you want off 'asap', follow your doctor's advice-  you won't really know if you can tolerate it until you try it. But knowing what I know, I wouldn't go there- I'd wean off in a linear fashion (no steps) by bead-counting over a three-month period. There are instructions elsewhere on the forum.

Good luck with this. Many of us have done this, and many others are doing this right now. Please keep us posted with your progress.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hello again, and thank you for replying.

I will look through the forum, from what i've seen, I guess i'll go slow! Anxiety is my worst enemy and I dont want to feed it.

I would have though that only 4 months on 30mg would be a snap to get out of it, I guess I was wrong.

The doctor says I should not beleive what I see on the forums, but, she has not been there! and you have walked the path, I'll go with you guys, and keep coming here for support.

Thank you again, Gail

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi Gail

It's my understanding that six weeks is required to fully upload this SNRI, and thereafter, some discontinuation symptoms are likely, following withdrawal from the drug. But I don't know where the science on this question may be found. Perhaps fishinghat knows.

But it's clearly stated in the literature from Eli Lilly that cold turkey is NOT recommended. They advocate a slow, linear taper with no steps. That's on their website.

Because everybody is affected differently, it could very well be a snap to get off, and your physician may indeed be correct. Should you quit cold turkey as recommended by your physician, and you do get symptoms that are difficult, simply go back on the medication until you are stable, and then wean off slowly.

This forum isn't the Gospel, and it's not science; it's anecdotal, subjective, and highly emotional. However, there is much truth here, and seemingly limitless compassion and humility amid unimaginable suffering.

Gail, anxiety is the wild card that needs to be addressed before and during discontinuation. Many people are prescribed a benzodiazepine (Ativan, Lorazipam, Xanax etc) to have on hand for use as necessary. But as you know, if the benzo is taken steadily, you will have to withdraw from that later.

Please let us know which direction you have chosen, and post your progress. Soon you will be helping others.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Hi thismoment, cymbalta was prescribed for anxiety amd depressive symptoms. I have never had any relief from it. I never stabilized on it.

Before that , I was on 1.5mg ativan a day. Was supposed to wean when stabilized. Never happened.

Still on ativan. .

I wanted to wean fast because after taking it , I get worse right after. Calms down in the afternoon.

On day 3, did not count the little pellets, but took off maybe one ninth.

So speaking of stabilisation, I dont really know what it is.

I get scared, as scared as I was when starting it.

Will be back to let you know how it goes, Gail

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Question? since i feel so bad after taking it, it's gotten worse in the last 2 or 3 weeks, would it make sense to cut in half? so desperate.

Anxiety is menopausal related for my case, and I was given a higher of estrogen.

Geez, I'm out of my witts. That ill-feeling is killing me. At times, I wonder if i'll make it. Anxiety talking.

I'm french-speaking, so the autograph can be soso at times.

Gail

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Gail, welcome. Thismoment is correct. The capsules slide open and a few beads can be removed each day. Most remove 3 or 4 beads a day but some have to go slow, 1 or 2 beads a week. It doesn't matter that the side effects are killing you, you will have that for awhile but you don't want to add withdrawal symptoms on top of that. Go slow. I can't emphasis that enough. As you reduce beads you may need to adjust some. If things go well try a slightly faster rate, if things are not going well, stop, stabilize and then begin dropping at a slower rate. Listen to your body.

The Ativan is very addictive and I am sure you will come off it as well but NOT while going through Cymbalta withdrawal. I know you are in a hurry but believe me it can get worse if you go too fast. The best medicine to handle this is patience.

God Bless and best wishes.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Fishinghat, I understand the process clearly.  Keep you posted in a few days, thanks to all.

Let the journey begin or continue.

Gail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users