Photo

Cold Turkey Is Hell And Weaning Is Hell. What The Hell?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 considering

considering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, Oregon
  • why_joining:
    weaning off Cymbalta

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Can anyone tell me why I should bother to titrate off only to find the symptoms are hell once you're fully off. Although, I haven't read all the posts, since I'm a newbie, I've read enough to hear many say that being fully off after weaning is hell for 2, 3, 4, 6 weeks. Is weaning really better than going cold turkey? 

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Considering, Welcome..Oh my goodness you sound frightened! Let me see if I and other members can help to answer your questions..First off ..People either want to stop taking Cymbalta or other antidepressants for many reason..Second...Some people do not want to stop taking these meds...Third..Not everyone suffers withdrawls as bad as you read from the suffering ones on this forum. .Forth..Everyone will have some withdrawl from almost all types of meds..from none to severe..

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Welcome considering. Going cold turkey seems to be two or 3 times as dramatic as bead counting. It is so bad for many that they go to the ER because feel like dying. Others have actually commited suicide while going through cold turkey. Not I am not saying that the 6 to 12 weeks of symptoms while weaning is easy but it sure beats the alternative. Having said that research showes that around 80% have little or no withdrawal. So only around 20% suffer these dramatic withdrawal symptoms.

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Considering. .Fifth...I do believe it is a bit easier on the withdrawals if you wean vs cold turkey..Sixth..you honestly need to talk to your medical advisors about discontinuation of cymbalta if you are planning to do so.

I understand how fearful you feel. Reading the forums here are from members who are experiencing the worse side effects, and please remember that does not mean you Will experience the same or similiar.

You will hear from others on this forum regarding you questions giving their opinions to you...
Good Luck and try and be calm in your decision making with your medical group and yourself. .

#5 considering

considering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning off Cymbalta

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. Yes, I'm concerned about what will happen, because of how difficult it has been for people on this list, but I'm still going to do it.

I've suspected for many years that I don't need cymbalta anymore for depression, first because I still go through short periods of depression and have more tools (like meditation) that seem to help. And second, because over-all I'm much happier. And third, I've got a great therapist. Finally, I've been on it for seven years, and I'm not aware of any studies about the long-term use Cymbalta or any anti-depressant for that matter.

It seem that every time I mentioned this to any doctor (three) or friend in that past that I want to go off, they talk me out of it--"now is not the right time," they say. 

So I'm getting off no matter what. I already know from unintentionally missing two days that I get vertigo. 

What's I'm hearing is that because I might experience withdrawal symptoms (in addition to vertigo) , titrating might lesson those symptoms. So here I go.

I'm three days on 60mg down from 90mg and feeling some mild vertigo. 

Thanks again, everyone.

#6 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Can anyone tell me why I should bother to titrate off only to find the symptoms are hell once you're fully off. Although, I haven't read all the posts, since I'm a newbie, I've read enough to hear many say that being fully off after weaning is hell for 2, 3, 4, 6 weeks. Is weaning really better than going cold turkey? 

Hi and welcome to the Cymbalta support forum. I've been on Cymbalta 60mg daily for 20 months for lower back pain due to osteoarthritis. I didn't want to deal with the side effects anymore, wasn't sure if it was helping me. I accidently quit cold turkey as I had a flare up of diverticulitis. So sick I 'forgot' my pm meds for 6 days. OMGosh found my self knocking on hell's front door. Got back on my Cymbalta when I figured out what was going on.

Asked my pain physician about stopping Cymbalta. Given instructions to drop from 60mg down to 30mg. Did so, all was wonderful until day 10...found myself again knocking on hell's front door. Immediately swallowed a 30mg capsule and again taking 60mg per day.

Then I was surfing the internet and found this forum. Cymbalta withdrawal forum. A place where I learned how to do the bead counting method. My 60mg capsules contain 200 'beads' ... I began to drop beads...starting with 5 per day. Too fast had to stop add a bead back and stabilize.

Some ppl can quit cold turkey and have no difficulties. I believe that it's about 80% that can do this. I am not one of the 80%. Even with only dropping 1 bead per day I have had a very difficult time with the w/d symptoms. However the ppl here on this forum have helped me to make it as far as I have. I found this forum back in October. Began my bead count on Thursday Nov 7th and will if all goes well (or at least tolerable) I will finish up come springtime.

I can't tell you what to do but gladly share with you what is working for me. I am a woman of faith, determination and will make it until one day in my future I 'will' be free of Cymbalta.

Yes IMO Cymbalta has been hell for me. I have gone thru the front door and will make it thru and on out the back door with the help of my God, my faith, my determination,  my family, my friends and this forum :)

Wishing the best for you. Prayers for you.

Let us know how it is going...

TC TheEquusWoman :hug:

#7 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Considering. .yippee You have made your decision. That's definitely a start. Equuswoman gave great advice and a clear picture of how the bead counting works for her. She has come a long way and is extremely dedicated to completing her mission. You will have the support here you stated you don't have from your friends..Just remember to follow what you body is telling you and take whatever signs feel too uncomfortable to handle to our attention here .Many Of Us Here Will Be Chiming In On Your Progress As YOU Post it..Good Luck

#8 considering

considering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • why_joining:
    weaning off Cymbalta

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Equuswoman for sharing your story and your method. And Carletta, I will definitely listen to my body.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Just remember to follow what you body is telling you and take whatever signs feel too uncomfortable to handle to our attention here .

This is KEY .... Remember that you are in control of this process, NOT the drug, not another person ... Be they friend, family, or professional .... We're here to help you any way we can .... But even we .... Who I believe collectively have more knowledge, experientially and technically, about this drug than anyone else out there ... Cannot tell you what will definitely work for you ....

Always remember that it is you who are in charge ... That will also help to keep the anxiety at bay ....

Keep us posted!

#10 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Equuswoman for sharing your story and your method. And Carletta, I will definitely listen to my body.

Yes listen to your body. Slow down even adding beads back if you need to do so. Let us know how you're doing.

Love, support and prayers for yo

TheEquusWoman :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users