• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

I'm about a week into cold turkey from 120mg a day of cymbalta. I decided to hit the gym and eat healthier to try and live a naturally normal lifestyle. So a month ago I started back at the gym going everyday as well as playing basketball twice a week, I've always had low iron problems and never realized that iron is lost through sweat, so not only is my iron count on a mere 8 when it's meant to be a low of 15 and hight of 150 making me achy dizzy and extremely tired and emotional I am feeling mostly all withdrawals from lack of cymbalta but my blood tests also reveal I have a virus of some sort, I am bed ridden, I can't roll from one side to the other without wanting to vomit, I'm a cigarette smoker and I have an small drag and it makes me vomit, eating makes me feel better until I stop then I feel so so full that I need to vomit, I feel so sick now I can't relax enough to sleep, I'm 30 and walking like a 90yo, I have to hold onto the walls so I have less chance I'll fall and pass out, my head feels like it's vibrating and I can't think nor breath straight, I'm irrational and emotional and can't stop crying. I feel like no one I know cares about me, I've been left in my room to deal with it all on my own with little to no support, I want to feel better, I've read it takes people months to feel good again,'I don't think I can handle another day of this, I'm ready to call myself an ambulance as I just can't handle it anymore.. Death certainly feels like the easiest option right now.. :-( severely suffering..

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the Cymbalta support forum. The ppl here understand and care about each other. I am coming off of Cymbalta using the bead count method. The w/d SUCK. They are horrible. I have been to hells front door. Please know that you are not alone. Hang in there. There are other members here who will have some suggestions for you as well. PLEASE let us know how you're doing.

Support, prayers and :hug: for you from TheEquusWoman

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Sufferinsilence, welcome .... You need not suffer in silence any longer ... Come here and vent, share, say anything you want! Yes, the WD is awful, and yet it is so very very worth going through .... Because it does get better .... First and foremost, take it easy on yourself ... You may want to use the bead counting method rather trying to CT from 120 mg .... I came off 60mg C-T cuz I lost my insurance and cldnt afford the stuff .... But I'm not sure I'd recommend it as the best way to go ... However, I'm 8 weeks off now, and the days are truly more better than bad ... Please read the nutritional support discussions, and, for some hope and humor, we've got a new discussion going on "listing the positive events" .....

You mention being a smoker, and not being able to take a puff right now ... I was a smoker before withdrawal...but it made me so much sicker when I came off cymbalta that I ended up quitting, without even intending to! So that's a benefit right there ... I tried to light up the other day, but man, my head just about exploded, so I guess I've quit for good ....

The "what helps me" discussion has lots a info. and suggestions for all the various symptoms you've got, and ones you may get in the future, or hopefully never have ...

I'm so sorry you've got a virus on top of everything from withdrawal... But rest assured,we do care, and you're not alone .... Please keep coming back here to let us know how you're doing!

#4 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thanks so much for your kind words of support, I've found if I take a Valium it helps my brain relax enough so that I can sleep, I wake up feeling great until I attempt to move, then it all starts again, I have been having the craziest dreams too, not bad or emotional dreams, just far out there dreams, I also feel like I am peeing 5x more than I am drinking.. And am much as I try not to eat coa it comes back up again Nyway is anyone else craving salt? Something very unusual for me.. Maybe I'm dehydrated?

#5 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

Suffer- hmmmm- that is a max Cymbalta dose to quit cold turkey not at all recommended by the Drug company or Dr's .Is you're Dr aware .  I do recommend you reach out for medical advice . Eat light but eat often -get some gatorade -keep fluids in most important.  Cymbalta side effects can be urinary retention hence the normal return of body functions and why you feel more bathroom urges . My support wishes to you and keep us posted . Know that w/d from this medication is both severly physical and emotional as the brain signal pathways are effected when starting the med and coiming off it.

#6 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

I've been able to function a little more today, have made it out of bed and even managed to drive the kids to school, as the day is going on I am feeling less and less healthy.. Haven't smoked today, doubt I will again so that's a bonus, just feeling very dizzy and nauseous, have tried to nap but can't relax enough to sleep.. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel even better than today, any progress is good progress!! :-)

#7 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

Glad to see you Post .  Be gentle with yourself and try to keep a little log charting as you progress along. I found that after I had a good 4-6 hour sleep I was better for a few hours and then the w/d symptoms would return .I didnt fight them cause I knew what they were and only time and patience would lessen the nasty symptoms . I did shower and dress every day and tried to focus away from my feelings -listened to books on tape-radio -music and took short walks even though my balance was very unsteady , 

#8 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

What's people's thoughts on me trying to return to the gym? Too much to soon? My balance is still very off and still want to vomit, I'm willing to give it a try but in worried if it makes me feel worse then it will turn me off trying to return to the gym again, most of the reason I came off the cymbalta was so I could try and live a healthier natural life and try and burn stress and anxiety off at the gym... It's all bittersweet at the moment I guess.. I just don't want to go backwards!!

#9 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hi Sufferinsilence, I'm doing the cold turkey thing like yourself and I am continuing my workouts. I have been working out every day for almost 40 years. I feel better after a kick-butt workout and this hasen't changed for me. I try to release all the bad vibes while doing my sets. Of course the withdrawl symptoms return shortly after but I consider it a small victory for myself. Everyone is different. This withdrawl stuff will hopefully go away soon so we have to bounce off friends for support. Best of luck my friend. Hang in there.

#10 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Sufferlinsilence..Welcome to the forum. Have read your posts and it appears to me going cold turkey from 10 mg is massive on your body. I know coming off any dose should be weaned and with a doctors instructions. Not everyone responds to even the doctors instructions. I do suggest you contact your physician and talk to him about your cymbalta withdrawl symptoms especially with a virus you are now experiencing. This whole withdrawl sounds extremely horrifying for you. You are also depleting your body from much needed nutrients due to the withdrawals and virus and low iron. Please contact your medical staff and describe everything you are going through..Once they suggest alternatives you can then make changes to your life style on a much slower basis..I do feel you should have not stopped 120 mg cold turkey...There are wonderful forums and threads here for you to read with all type of stories on how successful some of the weaning methods have helped them..My comment to you as well as I have given to others is...Please listento your body..You know your body better than anyone..Keep tract of everything your body is telling you..I wish you all the best luck my friend..

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi Sufferinsilence, I'm doing the cold turkey thing like yourself and I am continuing my workouts. I have been working out every day for almost 40 years. I feel better after a kick-butt workout and this hasen't changed for me. I try to release all the bad vibes while doing my sets. Of course the withdrawl symptoms return shortly after but I consider it a small victory for myself. Everyone is different. This withdrawl stuff will hopefully go away soon so we have to bounce off friends for support. Best of luck my friend. Hang in there.

Umm, I'm surely no expert on exercise , but I think that might be trying to push yourself a bit too much for the time being .... I've been going to the JCC down the street from mY apartment bldg ... Using their steam room, which is just so wonderful for all my aches and pains .... And next, starting next week, I've signed up for a once a week yoga class for "old farts" ..... Gentle stuff only for me, cuz I'm twice your age and the last time I was in great shape and exercised a lot was when I was your age!

You're awesome for being able to take care of your children while going through withdrawal .... Just remember not to try so much for WD that you can't be there for them .... Balance, moderation .... Patience .... And, if CT is too much, try the bead counting .... You will get off this poison!

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm not sure which of the discussions to post this in...so I've just picked here sort of arbitrarily ... I'm having a resurgence of brain zaps today ... And yesterday ... And just came across this discussion on the surviving antidepressants.org site..... Scroll down in the thread for a fascinating medical article about what zaps are and how they're caused.... I don't know anything about that site, it seems sort of like this one? Do any of you know?

http://survivinganti...rawal-syndrome/

#13 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thank you for posting that site Five-- and Suffer push a little as in exercise and write down what you accomplished as in daily routines--You have the rest of your life to work out and get healthy dont be hard on yourself to 'do it all at once' That Cymbalta 'Bear' (sp)will grind its teeth for a while yet.  Keep posting :)

#14 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

Finding myself so mad today, just uncontrollably irate.. Everyone is driving me crazy and I had to bite my tongue so I don't say something harsh and out of line, I know it's another symptom but I would rather have my head in a toilet than my family's hand in the tissue box... Today sucks..

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Finding myself so mad today, just uncontrollably irate.. Everyone is driving me crazy and I had to bite my tongue so I don't say something harsh and out of line, I know it's another symptom but I would rather have my head in a toilet than my family's hand in the tissue box... Today sucks..

Three days ago I had the anger, two days ago it was the weeping and irrational sadness, yesterday it was the complete exhaustion and no feelings .... And today, I woke up feeing good, solid and balanced... So, it seems it was a 3 day relapse .... In all likelihood because I way way overdid myself during 4 or 5 excellent days just prior to all that .... I'm working to learn more moderation in what I do on the good days, and to not fall into the trap of believing my emotions on the tough days .... It's just my ragged and bruised nervous system wiring having short circuits .... I like to think of my recovery as a major rewriting project in my CNS .... Removing the old wiring and replacing .... The insulation on the old stuff is shot, raw wires hanging out, sparks arching out from everywhere ... As new wiring goes in, it works well, and I think the project is done ... But nope, there's a lot more to be repaired....

You're strong, Sufferinsilence .... You are self aware enuf to realize that those emotions are symptoms, and then to not act on them ... You inspire me!

#16 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm alive again!!! 2 days now I've felt ok, I can function like normal, obviously I am far from being 100% but I can be me again, do my daily do's without the worry if I will make it through the day without collapsing fainting or vomiting.. I'm back playing basketball 2 nights a week and gym the other 5.. My body is aching and not happy about it but I know it's from normal activity and not a side effect from withdrawals..

Results from only 2 weeks Without this poison in my system I have quit smoking, I am eating better, craving less junk, losing weight, I have no interest in alcohol (was a regular drinker..)
My brain is still quite foggy but I'm thinking for myself, I've had a few mood swings ranging from emotional outbursts of crying, feeling overwhelmingly greatful for all my blessings, and crying about it.. Lol
At the end of the day I already feel more confident, healthy, happy and determined to LIVE!!!
Bring on 100% :-)

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Holy Moly, you're on a roll! I gotta take a nap from just reading about all you've done!

You must be one of the "youngsters" here ..... :-D

#18 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

In the prime of life.. :-) I'll be 31 in 2 weeks time :-) 4 kids and a hubby to take care of, no time to waste..

#19 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Mind you, I live is aus and I've been awake all night, cramps and pains in my legs from 2 nights of bball in a row.. Not pleasant..!

#20 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

In the prime of life.. :-) I'll be 31 in 2 weeks time :-) 4 kids and a hubby to take care of, no time to waste..

Wonderful and amazing! I'm so glad you've arrived here ... Your posts give me such courage and hope!

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Go Girl!! That is how it is done. Good job.

#22 Sufferinsilence

Sufferinsilence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, I know w/d can be so overwhelming but it's so worth it to feel human again.. Not to stay healthy so I never have to poison myself again.. :-) wishing you all the best if luck guys, I'll still be around checking in on you all xx

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

Man, you Aussies are a tough bunch .... Kick ass, take names, and then have a good party ... I'm part Irish ... We tend to have the party first, get drunk and get our asses kicked, and then forget the names of who did it .... My other part is Dutch ... They just sell the liquor to the Aussies and the Irish, take their names, and kick their asses if they don't pay .... ;-$

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

You must definitely be feeling better FiveNotions. lmao

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

You must definitely be feeling better FiveNotions. lmao

Well, I hadn't realized it until I read this comment of yours ... My sense of humor is returning! It's been gone for so long, I'd forgotten I had one .... The lost years on cymbalta .... A big black hole that sucked in so much of what makes me "me" .... Even the fact that I bothered to add an avatar .... It's one I used to use in my beloved work as a research librarian ....

Humor .. Risibility .. The ability to perceive the incongruity in life and laugh about it .... It's one of God's gifts to us humans, otherwise this life would truly be more than we could bear .... The animals can't laugh, because they don't have the power to reason and thus can't recognize incongruity ... And not even the angels can laugh... Because, while they do have the power to reason, and perceive incongruity, they don't have bodies .... Laughter is a purely human capacity ... :-)

So, I must be feeling human again!

#26 jeremymichael

jeremymichael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCLEVELAND, OHIO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

hey folks, i'm jeremy. I stopped taking cymbalta 60 mg everyday on friday, january 31st. whoa. i had to quit cold turkey because cymbalta is offered in a generic form and that means that pharmacutical companies will not offer free medication. regardless, the cost of a generic runs about 200 a month. unbelieveable. so i chose to hang up my hat. i cannot tell you the symptoms i have from the cymbalta withdrawal reflex: 

- no taste (minimal taste buds, i would say about 20 percent of mine work), and i have a metallic taste. even smoking cigarettes taste god awful

- lethargic. i slept from feb 1st- feb 4th. with no interrupted sleep patterns. almost like i was comatose.

- lightheaded / dizzy / blurred vision -- the worst feeling ever especially if you have to work and drive under these conditions

- excessive sweating. it's 4 degrees in cleveland ohio and my back is covered in sweat as i type this outside on my deck

- excessive ringing in the ears. it is like someone is shaking a salt shaker in my head non stop

- the brain zaps remind of mini seizures when they happen all the time.

- acid reflux, probably the worst i have ever had. i cannot eat anything without having two elephants sitting on my esophogus.

so today is the 7th of feb and so far the symptoms have diminshed. i still sweat excessively but since i have been going back to work, my energy is coming back. personally i knew that these effects would happen because there were afew times when i forgot to take my pills and the above effects were displayed. i don't think i would even waste the time to reduce my intake on this medication because i want it out ASAP!!!

i wish you all the very best on here and look forward to reading and helping you through your hard times.

Jeremy Michael Lesko, BSHA, LNHA

Cleveland, Ohio

jeremylesko@yahoo.com

#27 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Jeremeymichael...What a horrible time you have been tthrough. It appears you had no choice in this matter. I really feel for you. You will find much support on this forum. There are some who have quit cold turkey and others who have used what is called bead counting either way other members will be chiming in with much support..Thank you for posting...Hang in there..Keep us posted on your forthcoming progress..good luck..

#28 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Wow y'all, I don't know how I've missed this thread, but you all have given me some much needed laughs today on this blustery day in SC! Sufferinginsilence, what an inspiration you are! I pray you continue to do great! 120mg to cold turkey just blows me away that you were able to push through all those s/es and keep moving forward! What an asset you are here on the forum! All my best to everyone here!!!  clara

#29 jeremymichael

jeremymichael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCLEVELAND, OHIO

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hi Forum: It's Jeremy. I'm doing so much better now than 2 weeks ago. I'm starting to feel like my normal self again. And yeah, that's right 2 weeks of cymbalta free. I did further research so understand my brain and how it functions. Online research suggested that one who has issues with abnormal brain chemistry

including:

= Acetylcholine

= Dopamine

= GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)

= Norepinephrine

AND OF COURSE THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY = Serotonin  

After further investigation I started taking a Vitamin B multivitamin and now I feel like a million bucks. I wish everyone the best! It's hard to stop taking a medication cold turkey but I was motivated to get rid of this horrific drug!!

Jeremy Michael Lesko, BSHA, LNHA

Cleveland, Ohio

jeremylesko@yahoo.com

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Don't forget epinephrine and glutamate. Many of the PTSD people and 1st responders, diagnosed with GAD, suffer from a "chronic adrenergic state".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users