considering

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, Oregon
  • why_joining:
    weaning off Cymbalta

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

My insurance just switched me to a generic. After dropping 30mg from 90, I started the bead counting on Monday. Much to my surprise, my generic 30 mg caps has only 6 beads in it--actually it's more like 6 mini-tablets. At any rate, I took a risk and dropped one bead starting Monday. The only side-effect so far is a lose stool and minor headaches. 

Anyone else find so few beads in a generic?

#2 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

considering, welcome! Lots of good info and support here! I'm so sorry I can't help you on this one. Maybe someone else that is bead counting will chime in for you. In my opinion it would be wise to drop only one bead at a time since there are so few. Wish I could help! I do offer my whole hearted support to you! Keep us posted on your progress!  Prayers and cyber hugs to you!!!   clara

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Well, the only experience I've had with the generic is that I took just one 60 mg dose of it in early dec of last year .... And within just a few hrs I went into a frighteningly bad reaction ... That's when I quit cold turkey because I cldnt afford the brand .....

Just be careful, go slow, pay close attention to how you're feeling, and keep us posted ... Also, my own thought is to tell you not to try to cut or divide those "mini capsules or whatever they are .... No telling what the result would be...?

Interesting that the generic has such a different type of contents .... I jus tried some internet searching for info. On tapering of the generic (duloxetine) and didn't find anything .... You may be among the first few who are dealing with this .... What you learn and share here is going to be so very helpful for others!

Bravo!

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Welcome to the forum. Sorry can't help you with this as I've been on the brand name Cymbalta for the past 20 months. Wishing the best for you. Let us know how you're doing.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Considering. .looks like so far there isn't anyone here to advise you on the generic 30 mg cymbalta..6 beads you say although they look like pellets and not the same size of beads in the 90mg? Hmmm makes me wonder about the difference. I suggest if you aren't able to handle the 30mgs the way they are..Go back to the 90mg generic and continue your bead weaning from those with the same schedule you are using..Unless, of course someone on this site has experienced 30 mg bead counting and will hopefully chime in to offer you their experiences.

I'm sorry I couldn't help. Then again if you are stabilizing and can handle it that would be good.

just continue to listen to what your body is telling you..You are the one that know your body the best...

#6 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

My generic 30 mg has about 149 beads. That is about half as many as the name brand.The beads look the same as name brand bit are bigger in size. It must be a different generic manufacturer than mine?? I'm not doing well on it after less than 2 mths, so will most likely have to cross taper to Prozac. I have been considering the switch to prozac for a while now bc I'm just too sensitive to even one bead drop, so getting nowhere and things are even worse on the generic. That, and the fact that the drug makes me sick from side effects just being on it, so always sick and can't take it anymore. My psch tried masking with Seroquel, but no longer working and way too sedating , so I have to do something and after much research am confident to try the cross taper... now if I can get my psych on board... so hard...I've been trying to get off for over a year now, Cymbalta has been the devil for me!!!!

#7 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Considering- my only suggestion would be to talk to your pharmacist about another manufacturer.. i got mine from CVS...i know i could never handle a taper w so few beads/tabs ... each one obviously contains more mg than a bead would...ridiculous!!! Good luck :)

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

I think redjam has the right idea. With 6 pellets inside there is no way to wean off slowly enough. What a bummer!  Talk to your pharmacist, it can't hurt>

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Redjam and Considering .... Wld going back on the brand and tapering from it be possible for you .... financially and/or physically? Redjam says not doing well on the generic, which I take to mean that the brand cymbalta was better (to the extent it can be better) ... I had a bad bad reaction to the generic, and cldnt afford brand which is why I went CT .... Perhaps it would be better to taper off "the poison we know" than to switch from brand to generic, or from brand to generic to Prozac ..... Clearly the generic cymbalta ISNT identical to the brand ... And Prozac is different from both .... There's a limit to how much our nervous systems and bodies as a whole can handle when it come to changing powerful chemical additives around on short notice ....

Definitely have a very serious talk with your pharmacist, and docs ... And get second or third opinions... Pharmacists are often, I've found, more knowledgeable and willing to talk about this aspect of the meds .... My cynicism tells me it's because they don't get all the big incentives and kickbacks from the pharmacy cos.

#10 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

I shudder to think what this switch to generic has done to others out there trying to withdraw...i would have been terrified had i opened my capsules and only found 6 tabs inside!! As if we all aren't going through enough stress, my anxiety would be through the roof! I was anxious enough finding only approx half as many beads and then the doc and pharmacist could only say, start over (after first being misinformed to just half the amount and start there) all i know is I'm in withdraw everyday now basically... will see my psych doc Tues. To discuss a switch, i asked him once mths ago and he said no, that it would be just trading one problem for another, but i disagree and now that i can't tolerate the drug even when stabilized and one bead makes me sick for days, a switch seems the only option, the anxiety makes me want to die and i can not eat much, etc,etc... like i said i have thoroughly researched and found a specific plan on another forum that has had much success( called bridging or crosstaper using Prozac) which has a much longer half life, so I'm presenting it in detail to him in hopes he'll agree. They say it's an incredibly slow wean, but i don't care, as long as i can have a life. I have next to none now and i have very little support from family. Thanks for listening. I have trouble getting my thoughts together among other things and so don't post much, but know i am so grateful for everyone here and their kind and understanding support. Prayers for all on this difficult journey!

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Redjam..Looks like you have a plan. Since you've done extensive research and have tried bead counting. You do need to find what works for you. As you well know each individual experiences things differently and since it's become difficult to stay on the schedule or path you are on, I'm confident your research with the Prozac crossover has you determined to try this approach for yourself.

You certainly do listen to what your body is telling you, and you are acting on it with a change. Good Luck. This other approach may be exactly what you need to completely get your life back..

Please keep us posted..

#12 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Thank you Carleeta! I was running out of hope, so now I at least have that to hang onto! I am just wore out mentally and physically from this nightmare. I will keep everyone updated...

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Redjam ... Yep. Sounds like a sensible plain... Ain't it sad that we have to educate the docs .... However, like you, I've learned the hard way that I have to assume full responsibility for my health and treatment ... Research research research .... Would it help if you printed out some info. On the bridging technique to take to your doc? Maybe something with some pretty colored pictures and diagrams, in case words are too hard for him? /sarc

#14 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

5N- Yes, it is sad... I was thinking of trying to print off something as well, or
perhaps just have him get on the site on his deluxe, large double screen computer in his office, lol!

#15 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Redjam..Yes go and stand over his shoulder (phd) and look at what's on your record there..Truthfully, I do stand behind my Dr and look at what written on there..lol lol lol..I really do...He laughs at me..I'm always looking at the med list over his shoulder..He and I do laugh...

Seriously you have that right as a patient..And you should tell him what you want noted on his report...

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Carleeta is right. My drs read it to me as they type and then let me read it before entering it.

#17 Brodie

Brodie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Considering, I am new and just discovered this site and bead counting. I wanted to start bead counting tmoro and I just opened my capsules and they only have 6 beads too :( I am going to try to drop one bead daily for a week and see how that goes. So 25mg daily for a week, then 20mg daily for a week. etc. I did manage to ween from 60mg to 30mg over a 6 month period so I think dropping from 30mg in 5mg increments per week (or fortnight if i have withdrawals) should be easier?? Will keep you posted on how I go and please post your progress :)

#18 Brodie

Brodie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

Feeling deflated :( from what I have been reading dropping one big bead out of a 30mg capsule of only 6 big beads in total will be too big a jump to do without experiencing the horrible withdrawals. I think I will try it for a few days, if its terrible I will just throw away that box and go get a script of actual 'cymbalta' brand, rather than the generic.

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

One bead a dya is way too fast Brodie. If that is what you are stuck with (6 beads) then I would suggest dropping one bead ever 10 days. See how you feel at that time and decide whether to go faster or slower.

#20 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Brodie, I'm with FH on this ..... With just six beads, you've got to spread the drop out much more .... I also agree with your idea of getting the brand cymbalta so you can do the bead counting that's recommended here ..... Just listen to your body .... Make it as easy on yourself as you can so that you can continue with the process ....also, you're a newlywed....you need to have enuf health and stability to focus on and enjoy this precious time in your life!

#21 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Just an FYI: Unless you can afford the brand name which is about $250.00 for a month supply of 30mg, the mfr of my generic Cymbalta that I get from CVS is TEVA USA. At least they have about 150 beads to work with.

Also, my appt got changed to Feb. 21st, so I will let all know how it goes with the my idea to try the bridging with Prozac! Fingers crossed that he is ok with it!

#22 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

He should be OK with it redjam. And it is a lot easier to come off prozac.

#23 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Redjam...Hope your physician sees your point of view and let him/her know you are listening to your body and since you know it best you will need to incorporate Prozac to feel stable..Good luck.

#24 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thanks, Fishing Hat and Carleeta! I hope it is not a problem for me!

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Redjam, Teva was the manufacturer of the generic wellbutrin that finally got taken off the market last fall (2012 or 2013?).....that Teva wellbutrin generic put me in the hospital twice and the psych ward once before I figured out that was the cause of my problem .... I wouldn't take anything they make if you held a gun to my head.... Just my opinion and experience....

#26 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

FiveNotions. .hmmm I'm wondering if my ambien/zolpidem by Tea is what is causing all this panic, depression, and,, anxiety and foggy head along with not remembering much is what is affecting me..Been weird since they changed companys..hmmmmm

#27 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Five Notions: Oh ho, that is awful! Sorry you went through that, Five Notions!
Teva is the largest mfr of generics in the world according to their website. Not good!!!

#28 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Oh, I apologize.... I left out that I also had a hellish reaction to the Teva cymbalta generic....which I tried, just once, when I lost my insurance...that's what precipitated my cold turkey off cymbalta....

Teva is on my shit list.....so yes, do some googling and see if anyone else is reporting problems with the Teva generics you're taking ...and even if they aren't, does not mean that you aren't .... You have the right to insist that your doc prescribe the brand..... In some cases, the doc can contact the insurance company to override their generic requirement, but if not, you can either pay for the brand yourself (hahah...I know, the brands can be fabulously overpriced) .... Or ask to try another generic in the same class of drugs....

#29 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

5N:Sooo...I hope this makes sense, UGH... I did some research, as much as possible, have had an awful headache the past several days but think I have stabilized finally. This darn generic has made it hard to find a tolerable place to be as far as bead counting. First had too many w/d symptoms so I added beads, then was too strong causing headaches like I used to get when I first took Cymbalta. So... reduced the beads by 3 and "voila" headache free. So true, you have to really listen to your body in this process!! Not impressed with the generic version at all!

As you said, the generic Wellbutrin by Teva was discontinued after many complaints, but did you know this???... The REASON for the problems were because even though the patent on Wellbutrin had expired, the enteric coating patent had NOT!!! Meaning the Teva created enteric coating was less than par and was releasing way too much medication at a time causing terrible side effects! Now of course I'm wondering if the same or similar could be true for Teva's generic cymbalta?! FISHING HAT: how would one go about finding this out?? Even though I am hoping to crossover to Prozac, I hope we can figure this out for all the others out there on the generic or going on generic. If I was staying on it , I would definitely have my doc contact my insurance to tell them I can not take the generic and to please approve the name brand. More and more I do not trust the generics no matter what they Say!!! Hope this made sense, I am having so much trouble concentrating...such a disgrace! Why does it always have to be "wealth before health" when it comes to big pharma?!

Hope you are feeling well today and are successful in your next big step on this journey! Take care and thank you so much for all you do on this forum! :)

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

I would do a search on the FDA for any info on the Wellbutrin issue and also search the Cymbalta pages on fda as well. I would also do a very specific worded search on the full internet. I will see what I can come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users