Photo

Weaning Off Cymbalta, Any Suggestions/consensus On What To Try Next?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zapped

zapped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVA
  • why_joining:
    cymbalta side effects (fatigue, severe depression) costing me my life

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

First off, thank God for this site, from whomever created it, to the moderators to the users.  What a horrible thing stopping Cymbalta is.

After maxing out at 90mg (taking Cymbalta since 9/12), I did a couple days of 60mg and a few days of 30mg, before stopping altogether.  Today is day 4, no better, if not worse.

Cymbalta is the only thing I ever tried for my depresssion/aniexty.  I was supposed to start taking 10mg of Brintellix, but no way until I see a psychiatrist.

I have an appointment Wednesday, are there any suggestions on what has been a good medication to switch to?

I want to ask for something a lot *milder*, but beyond that, no ideas.

#2 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

zapped, welcome!!!!  Cold Turkey is very tough! Lots on the forum are bead counting successfully. Yes there are other meds to help ease the Cymbalta w/ds. Fishinghat will prob' jump in very soon. He is very knowledgeable and will offer what has and is working for him. We're here for you! Post whatever you need to here! We've been there and understand! Keep posting! Hugs and prayers! clara

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Zapped...Welcome! You may have come to the right place for support through your end of taking cymbalta...Stopping cold turkey may be very difficult or something which you may be able to tolerate

Not suprised you are not feeling good after 4 days with no cymbalta..It appears you went from 90mg and down to zero within a weeks time...This may have been too much of a sifnifigant drop..Although, you did say 'No better..If not worse'..It's difficult to stop cold turkey for many people. .whether it be very mild and tolerable symptoms to the more aggressive and very intolerable symptoms from discontinuation of cymbalta...

If for some reason your symptoms become intolerable there are others ways to come off this antidepressent which pp on this forum have used ranging from bead counting to switching over to another antidepressent and tapering down from that antidepressent..

Soon others members will be chiming in on your post..They will offer their experiences, support, and understanding of your pp resent situation. .

You have come to the right place for the support you need...Good luck and keep us posted...

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

"I have an appointment Wednesday, are there any suggestions on what has been a good medication to switch to?"

Now there is a million dollar question. There is two groups of meds commonly used for depression/anxiety. SSRI/SNRI (these include cymbalta) and benzodiazepines (used entirely for anxiety). Both can have a LOT of side effects, damage the body (liver, kidneys, nerve cells, brain, etc) and are very addictive.

If you rule those out due to bad characteristics you are tough out of luck. There is a few other meds to consider;

Depression - Tricyclics but they are hard on the heart and have a lot of side effects.

Anxiety - Buspar - Very weak but limited side effects.

Hydroxyzine - Fairly effective but only good for a few months before your body gets use to it and it doesn't work anymore.    No  withdrawal from this one either.

Clonidine - Works well and limited side effects. Lowers blood pressure so only a limited amount can be taken. Very good for panic attacks. can cause sleepiness.

Atenolol - Similar to the effects of Clonidine but does not generate much sleepiness and not quite as good on the panic attacks.

These are the primary meds. I am at the same point as you. I am sick and tired of the ssri/snri and benzos and all the crap that goes with them. I suffer from anxiety so I have maximized my chlonidine and atenolol so I can limit my ssri(Zoloft). To answer your question directly ....there are no good good substitutes. Sorry.

#5 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

God bless you fishinghat! You have been on the forum much longer than I and suffered many more s/effects and you are still here for all of us, researching and sharing!!!! Just wanted to let you knowhow much you are appreciated! God bless you and that wonderful wife! a wife that loves to fish is a good wife indeed! Hugs, love and prayers for all!!!  clara :)

#6 Drew

Drew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

I had situational depression (wife had affair with ex bf) and due to financial challenges partly due to this issue I could not afford medication so signed up for a medical trial that included Cymbalta. Have been on it for just over a year along with the trial drug (can't recall the name) but the trial suddenly ended. The trial drug finished about 2 weeks ago and besides the drowsiness not big issues.

My problem now is that I was on Cymbalta at 120mg for most of the year. I once forgot to take for 48 hours and had what felt like near death experiences during sleep and sure don't want to repeat that but cannot afford the medication now that I have to pay.

I went 1 week at 90mg, 5 days at 60mg but now down to 30mg starting yesterday and the Nightmares and night sweats have started. I have one pill left for tomorrow but will get some more after reading some comments on this site today.

Questions - what can I do without the meds to avoid the migraines? I already suffer from these on occassion and it is the one thing I cannot handle. Secondly, what is the "ideal" timeframe for steady discontinuation? I know different for all but would love to hear some good news stories for hope that I can try and duplicate.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Welcome to the site Drew. I would say average for the bead counting method is drop 3 or 4 beads a day and it takes 2 months to get to zero, followed bt another 5 to 8 weeks of withdrawal. But like you said it varies. Some like EW are at 1 bead a day and some actually go cold turkey. Some have little withdrawal and some have withdrawal for a year or more.

I wish I could help with the migraines but that really depends on what causes them.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

God bless you fishinghat! You have been on the forum much longer than I and suffered many more s/effects and you are still here for all of us, researching and sharing!!!! Just wanted to let you knowhow much you are appreciated! God bless you and that wonderful wife! a wife that loves to fish is a good wife indeed! Hugs, love and prayers for all!!!  clara :)

Thanks so much sweet Clara.I have anxiety so bad I am on ssdi. I am really glad to find something that I can do with people and be productive. Contributing to this site has given me that. It is as much of a blessing for me as it is for those on this site.

God bless all as they struggle forward.

#9 Drew

Drew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Thanks FH.

Migraines are only occassional for me and I have them under control but read horror stories on the site today about them being brought on by withdrawal. I pray I don't get them.

3-4 beads per day? Please explain beads and excuse my ignorance.

Thanks,
Drew

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Each cymbalta capsule can be slide open. Each capsule contains 200 or more small, small beads which are the medicine  BY reducing 3 beads a day it provides a slow withdrawal and tends to minimize the withdrawal.

Bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Drew..Welcome to the forum...You will find some horror stories on this forum..As you pointed out every individual is different, therefore It's difficult to tell what will work and time frame. .As Fishinghat, with his wide knowledge, expanding heart, and genuine dedication, has pointed out approximate time frames and the ebb and flow of the withdrawls..He describes all your questions best...

We all have fear here...There wouldn't be this forum if no one feared the withdrawal symptoms. .So take off your shoes, and sit and relax.. There are many of us here who will be right here for your concerns, fears, symptom, and support..

As you have seen there are many wonderful, loving, caring, and dedicated members who have chimed in on your post..
Others will be chiming in soon to offer their experiences, advice, and support..

We are here for you...Best of luck to you...

#12 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Welcome Drew! Praying you'll do well w/ the bead counting and that the migraines don't come on. Come to the forum and post whatever is on your mind! It helps to know that the ppl here understand! The good news is that the w/ds don't last forever! As crazy as it sounds, embrace what comes on, and know for sure it's only w/ds and they will pass! It's a roller coaster and not fun, but IT IS TEMPORARY! God bless you with healing, solace, and patience! clara :)

#13 zapped

zapped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVA
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

was feeling a little better last night, very few brain zaps

went in to work today, lasted about an hour an a half until i had to get out of there.  i could tell on the way in it wasn't going to be good.

can't wait to see the pyschiatrist tomorrow, see what he has to say. 

#14 Wonderwoman

Wonderwoman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

You can get all natural replacements such as HTP. There is a lot available to help. I went cold turkey with HTP. Research and go to health food store they will help advise you.

#15 zapped

zapped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationVA
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

day 9 and a world of difference.

saw a pyschiatrist wed. and was given prozac (20mg) and xanax.

i didn't really get a clear answer on how the dr. expected to new medication to work with my cymbalat withdrawal, but fortunately i have seen a huge improvment these past few days.

i can trun my heads/eyes from side to side w/o feeling vertigo or whatever that is.  the zaps in my head have stopped too.

planning on going back to work tomorrow, think i only need the prozac.

the xanax makes me feel exremely tried the next morning, almost feel like a hangover. 

i still have get headaches at the end of the day, but i can live with that.  think its the least i can expect, after cymbalat withdrawal. unreal.

i know everyone is different, but if this helps 1 person, i'll be glad.

good luck!!1

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Prozac is a weak ssri while Cymbalta is a strong combo (ssri/snri). The prozac has a similar withdrawal but a lot less strong. Many people use this as a transition from cymbalta to prozac to no antidepressant. I am glad you are feeling better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users