• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nkrobal

nkrobal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

I've been on my Cymbalta for about 2 years now and today I started lowering my dose from 120 mg daily to 60 mg. Feel horrible today but have managed to make it through the work day with just muscle/ joint discomfort. My doctor wants be to be completely off of them by this time next week. The reason is we are going to try having a baby and it is a Class C drug which doesn't mean they know the effects it has on unborn babes. 

#2 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Welcome nkrobal! In my opinion, and others will prob' agree, that is way toooooo fast, esp' if you are working every day! You may be one of the lucky ones who has very little w/drawals (hope and pray that for you)! Just take it easy, read up on the forum and know we're here for you! Keep us UTD on your progress! clara :)

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Nkrobal, welcome to the forum and thank you for your post..I d o have to a free here with Clara...It might be too gast and too much of a sudden drop..Like Clara mentioned some individuals experience tolerable to slight withdrawl symptoms to intolerable and very intense withdrawls..

The best advice I can offer is to listen to your body and what it's telling you..This way you will be able to decide approximately how your taper is going...

Happy to hear you want to come off cymbalta.

We are all here with you through your completion of Cymbalta..

Best of luck to you...

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I've been on my Cymbalta for about 2 years now and today I started lowering my dose from 120 mg daily to 60 mg. Feel horrible today but have managed to make it through the work day with just muscle/ joint discomfort. My doctor wants be to be completely off of them by this time next week. The reason is we are going to try having a baby and it is a Class C drug which doesn't mean they know the effects it has on unborn babes. 

Welcome to the forum. That IMO will be quite a drop in dosage. I am weaning off Cymbalta doing the bead counting method. This is the only way I will be free of this poison. Please let us know how you're doing. :hug:

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Welcome nkrobal! So glad you found us and are quitting the poison!

As I've said frequently here ...I came off cold turkey...wldnt do it if I cld do it over again....i too am concerned that you've come down a bit too fast...your nervous system needs time to heal...which is why the bead counting method is the best...EquusWoman is dropping just one bead a day....don't hesitate to go back up a level, and then count down from there once you're stable....

Keep us posted...

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

nkrobal, Welcome. You might do a search for 'birth defects' on this forum. About a week or so ago I posted a recent research article on Cymbalta causing birth defects. There is also an existing class action lawsuit that has been filed over this matter. FDA is looking into adding cymbalta to it list of drugs that cause birth defects. Your doctor made a wish choice. Good luck on the fast track and let us know if we can help in any way.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi nkrobal.

We know that psychotropic medications physically alter the brain. After we withdraw from the drug, we need a period of time to heal, and become re-aquainted with our emotions. There is much to discover: There will be some of the old you, some of the new you, and perhaps, there will be a lingering artifact or two that you didn't bargain for. Nevertheless, your recovery will require the full bandwidth of your energy and attention.

But after a while you will breathe easier, and look enthusiastically toward new challenges. It may take a few months; it may take a year.

The baby. 

I'll bet nobody standing on a stack of PhDs could convince you that feeding a psychotropic drug like Cymbalta to your baby via your bloodstream is okay. You're right, it's not okay, and we all agree on that. 

But there's more.

Please consider this: If you have withdrawn, and all the Cymbalta (duloxetine) is out of your system, chances are you will still be having uncomfortable symptoms from quitting the drug. These symptoms could include anxiety, joint/muscle pain, nausea, emotional excursions like rage or uncontrollable crying, headaches, tinnitus, and vertigo- to name a few. 

Yes, the drug is gone after a week or two, and if you become pregnant now your baby won't get any Cymbalta. But if you are enduring powerful and upsetting discontinuation symptoms, this emotional turmoil will generate a variety of stress hormones that will definitely impact your baby. 

Go slowly- and consider waiting until you feel fully healthy before becoming pregnant. Be gentle with yourself, and take the time to heal. Disregard other people's agendas on the timeline of your motherhood. Recover carefully, purposefully, building a calm and steady self- the self that ultimately your baby will emulate.

Put the baby's health first, and everything else will fall into place.

When your baby looks at you, she makes a photo-optic data link with "the visible portion of the mother's central nervous system"- the mother's eyes!  "Embryologically and anatomically the eye is an extension of the brain; it is almost as if a portion of the brain was in plain sight. The eyes communicate the mother's unconscious emotional states."

Your baby can see past a brave face and a strained smile.  Rather, start her off on balance, peace, and security, by becoming as healthy as you possibly can.

Best wishes.

Quotes from "Scattered Minds" by Gabor Mate MD.

#8 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hello thismoment! Great to see you back and sharing much needed info! Hope all's well with you! :)

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Ditto

#10 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Welcome nkrobal! So glad you found us and are quitting the poison!

As I've said frequently here ...I came off cold turkey...wldnt do it if I cld do it over again....i too am concerned that you've come down a bit too fast...your nervous system needs time to heal...which is why the bead counting method is the best...EquusWoman is dropping just one bead a day....don't hesitate to go back up a level, and then count down from there once you're stable....

Keep us posted...

FiveNotions: Yes only dropping one bead per day and even still having some SE but I am determined to get off this poison slowly and surly one day and one bead at a time. Hope and determination for all of us here on this support forum! TheEquusWoman :hug:

#11 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Welcome nkrobol! Smart lady!

Ditto to ThisMoments SAGE advice. Nothing I could add to it.

I attend high risk deliveries and when the baby comes out crying we are all happy! This will be you. Your doc is probably a pedi? They know less about Crabalta than an average Internal Med Doc. I'm sure EQwoman could speak to this as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users