• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kee7

kee7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Over a month ago, I asked my doctor about going off the Cymbalta, I was taking 60mg.  He told me to take 30mg for two weeks and then 20mg for two weeks.  I was fine until I took my last 20mg dose on Wednesday.  Today, I had horrible nausea, diarrhea, headaches and brain zaps.

I'm getting married in four weeks and I don't want to deal with this up to and on the day of the wedding.

Should I wait to go off of it?  Should I try the bead counting method?

If it wasn't for the nausea, I could handle the other symptoms.  But I have a severe phobia about throwing up and after only one day of feeling nauseous, I'm mentally worn out from it.

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Kee7..Welcome. .You stopped 20 mg of cymbalta on Wednesday..So you went from 60 mg down to zero within a months time and now experiencing symptoms which go along with cymbalta withdrawl..

I see this drop may have been too much too soon..You are getting married in a month..Congratulations!

Well I wouldn't want you to postpone your wedding unless you, your fiance, and family are all in agreement and you decide to not go back on cymbalta. .You can go back on cymbalta and bead count although you may still feel withdrawls and they will hopefully be tolerable. .I say this only because of posts from members here who have used bead counting..

You may want to wait till after your wedding to start the bead counting and take it day by day from that poiny..

I understsnd this is a very difficult decision to make especially with all that goes with a wedding..

I do understand the fear of vomiting..I am one like you..I fight it to know end..

Others soon will be pooping in to offer their insight to quitting cymbalta cold turkey, bead counting, and tapering while on a more long acting antidepressents. .

Best of luck to you...Please keep us posted...

#3 kee7

kee7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thank you, Carleeta!

I don't need the anti-depressant any more, it was more of a temporary thing while I was in grad school to deal with depression and anxiety.  Since decreasing the dose, I've actually felt way better than I did on 60mg - actually feeling normal and the way I should.  I have to wonder if it has a depressant effect on me when I don't need it.  So I'm not trying to go on something else, if that's what you were referring to with tapering while on a more long acting antidepressant.  :)

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Kee7

I agree with Carleeta. 

Go back on the Cymbalta, get stable, get married, get settled, and then consider tapering off via the bead-counting method over a period of 3 months or so. Make sure everybody is in the loop, even your uninformed physician. 

Best wishes.

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Welcome Kee7 ! Congratulations on your wedding, and welcome to the group here! (We've got a couple of other members who are either preparing for their wedding, or newly married...)

I agree with TM and Carleeta.....I'm so glad you're getting off the cymbalta ..... And doing it right now seems like just too much to take on right before your wedding.... Going back up to your regular dose until you've gotten settled after the wedding seems the most prudent....then you can have time to develop your own plan for quitting the poison, and do it at a reasonable pace that suits you....it will also be important for you to get your husband on board and aware of what you're doing....his support will be very important....also that of other family and friends, if possible....

Bead counting is the best way to quit....I can't speak to that as I quit cold turkey....not what I'd do if I had it to do again...others here have bead counting experience and will be able to help you when you're ready....

Your doc was dead wrong in what he told you....very few docs are even aware of how hard it is to get off cymbalta...they cavalierly tell their patients to just come down in huge increments, or alternate days...and by doing so they're only making it worse....

To the extent that you have time....your wedding needs to be your primary focus...read what's posted here .... The nutritional support forum might be a good place to start....you can at least see what you can do to help your body be ready to quit cymbalta, etc....

Also, post questions if you have them...and, in any event, be sure to come back here and let us know how your wedding went and let us help you when you're ready to quit the poison!

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Kee7, yes there is another way some individuals taper off of cymbalta and they use another antidepressent along with cymbalta to help with the intolerable withdrawls...Others may be able to share more on the bead counting and tapering with using another med (antidepressent) to aid in the tapering from cymbalta. .The bead counting may be more of a direction for you to research here on the forum...

Best of luck to you...Please keep us posted....

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Over a month ago, I asked my doctor about going off the Cymbalta, I was taking 60mg.  He told me to take 30mg for two weeks and then 20mg for two weeks.  I was fine until I took my last 20mg dose on Wednesday.  Today, I had horrible nausea, diarrhea, headaches and brain zaps.

I'm getting married in four weeks and I don't want to deal with this up to and on the day of the wedding.

Should I wait to go off of it?  Should I try the bead counting method?

If it wasn't for the nausea, I could handle the other symptoms.  But I have a severe phobia about throwing up and after only one day of feeling nauseous, I'm mentally worn out from it.

Hi and welcome to the Cymbalta forum. Glad that  you're here with us. JMO but I'd go by the way of the bead counting method.

But I'd wait 'til after the honeymoon...TC and let us know how you are doing. TheEquusWoman :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users