• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 needinghelpweaning

needinghelpweaning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hello again. I'm considering going back on an antidepressant. I've been off cymbalta 7 1/2 weeks now and a lot of the physical withdrawal symptoms have subsided, what's left is bearable. But my mental/emotional state is UNbearable. I don't know if it's just withdrawal or depression has returned or this is just who I am!!! But I can't go on like this.

So even tho I'd like to not have these drugs coursing thru my veins... I am feeling the alternative of alienating everyone I love and screwing my poor kids up for good (due to my lack of patience and disgusting attitude) I have no choice.

So, I've done some research but honestly I don't seem to trust anything. I'm certainly not going to trust the doctor to steer me in the right direction. Some things online seem skewed. I was on Zoloft a year ago and it was okay if I recall, it was giving me about 70% of my life back! which is so much more than the 35% I feel like I'm living now.

But what about Prozac, is that one I should explore? I recall Effexor working great for me, but I will never go back on that due to my horrid withdraw (10 years ago). I actually didn't feel like cymbalta was that great. The side effects made any positives invalid. So, if anyone has a suggestion for me, I'd appreciate it. I want to be armed with what I want so I can tell the doctor and not rely on their ignorance.

Thank you.

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Needinghelpweaning. .It's difficult to tell if it's your depression returning or the effects of cymbalta withdrawl. .I certainly understand what turmoil and confusion you are in right now..If you feel the need to get back on an antidepressent than please do so..Yes, Fishinghat does currently take Zoloft and will be able to give you more knowledge and experience with this antidepressent. .The Prozac and Effexor, I'm sorry to say I have no knowledge in..

Hopefully others will soon pop in and give you some answers concerning the antidepressents you are inquiring about.

We will be supporting you in whatever choice you make...Please do not feel like a failure. ..Just remember, if you need to get back on antidepressents, it's OK!

Thoughts and prayers to you...

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi HNW.     The three weakest ssri are lexapro, prozac and zoloft. Lexapro is not recommended if you are over 60 because it can cause severe cardiac arythmias (irregular heartbeats). I know that you are at 7 1/2 weeks but it still is possible for these symptoms may still go away. I always recommend to try to give things 12 weeks. Having said that only you know if you can handle another 4 weeks. No shame on going back on medicine if you need it. I would not recommend Effexor as it is rated with the most side effects.

The thing about ssri/snri is they effect each of us differently so that makes it impossible to really recommend one. For example cymbalta did a great job for me for a long time.

Let me know if there are any specific questions you need answered.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hi NHW, I'm so sorry you're struggling like this....but I know you'll be able to sort things out in a way that works for you....

It could be the cymbalta effects ..... For example, at 7-8 weeks I was still having emotional flare ups...and if I recall, I was just plain irritable with everyone and everything.... and anxiety/ panic sporadically ( still am, be less and less).... I haven't had a flare up of the depression however, as mine is a dopamine deficiency type and I'm still taking wellbutrin for it..... (That's a withdrawal for another time!)

It might help us to help you to know a bit more about what you're feeling....mood swings...anger/rage, irritability, crying? Is it depression, and if so, what does your depression feel like....sadness, lack of energy/motivation, etc....or is anxiety and/ or panic?

Also, did this start more recently or has it been continuos since you first quit the poison?

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. fishinghat is wonderful about the different types of antidepressants.

Please let us know how you're doing. Prayers and support for you. :hug:

#6 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Needhelpweaning , I felt exactly like you last week & thanks to the members on here I stood my ground & didn't go back on any antidepressant.
Today I feel like I'm on the road back to normality ..two great days I a row , I would take Fishinghats advice & give it another few days just to see if it's the withdrawal s/e like mine was .
One week can make a huge difference , hell one day one hour one minute can make a huge difference .
Good luck with whatever you decide to do .:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users