• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sr1313

sr1313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

I've been off Cymbalta for 2 weeks and until discussing it with him, I was very impressed with how I'd been handling myself emotionally. Obviously there have been rough patches - I HAVE been snapping at him more than normal, and I had a bad panic attack one night. All he ever says is "I wish you'd go back on your medication." He doesn't understand my reasons for quitting, which involve my future career, not wanting to be dependent on a drug, and the potential for liver damage. He doesn't even want to hear about them.

Now tonight he told me I have been acting like a "crazy b****" and he wants me to go back on Cymbalta because the last two weeks were the worst he's had in our relationship in the past 2 years. For one of the weeks I was on vacation and happy as a clam, so I really don't know what he is talking about. He said something about me embarrassing him in front of his friends and he can't tell me what I specifically did, which is very frustrating. It makes me feel even more alone in this process because nobody is on my team against this drug.

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

sr1313:

Oh boy, upsetting the boyfriend because you want off Cymbalta is a catch 22 huh? I'm sorry. I could give you all kinds of relationship advice, but really, I think you are hurt and feel abandon right now. So, I want you to know that all the good folks on this forum support you. Yes, you can get emotional with us and we really do understand! We also support your decision to withdraw from this drug. It is a complicated decision for all of us, and the worst part is the physical pain and discomfort we seem to experience!

Stay your course. Live your life as you see fit. We're here to help...promise! Also, it is up to you to take really great care of yourself. No one else knows what you need better than you. So, as much as we would like for other's to step in and help us, it is ultimately up to us to handle. Let me tell you this, I can talk the talk, but I'm not so great at walking the walk. Ops! I'll do better someday, maybe today....:) Smiles to you. Hugs sent to you! You're doing great. Hang on, k?

Houdi

#3 IamAwesome

IamAwesome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'm on my 5th day getting off of Cymbalta.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

sr1313,

Remember this one thing YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THIS WORLD. Also YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

You have begun one of the most difficult challenges in your life and that is to take control of your health! I stand up and applaud you.

Your boyfriend does not understand what your going through, even if you tell him. He has never experienced what all of us have. He doesn't realize what we have been through on our journey to be mentally healthy and productive individuals.

Most people who are not in your shoe's don't want you to change. They are happy with the way you are. The are not considering what the drug has done for you, or might do to you (such as the liver damage and high blood pressure).

95% of people in this world are just happy to be the status quo and don't rock the boat.

Your decision to get of the Cymbalta was more than likely not an easy one. For some reason you where put on it to assist in your mental health. And no the time has come to get off of the Cymbalta and move on with your life.

I for one have been on "Anti-Psychotic" drugs for most of my adult life. In the past year I have grown emotionally as I have invested a lot of time, money and resources in learning about how the mind and body works. A great book on learning about the mind is by Dr. Joe Dispenza D.C. titled Evolve Your Brain. This book provides a wealth of information and takes the journey of the writer after he is hit by a car and is paralyzed. His doctors told him he would never ever walk. But through visualization, the power of the mind and body he is walking with no trouble and is more healthy than before his accident!!

The book discusses what the body does at the cellular level. Do you realize that your thought are actual chemical reactions? Have you ever seen a cute puppy or a toddler and you felt all happy and started to smile for no reason? That is because of the chemicals your body releases in that moment.

I'll end this to say sr1313 your doing the right thing!

#4 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Wow - that is rough. Houdi is right - the forum is here for you! You have to do what's right for you. The withdrawal symptoms will pass. Be strong!

#5 krisann

krisann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • why_joining:
    I wish to stop taking cymbalta with the least amount of side effects possible

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

So sorry you are having a rough time! :(

Its hard to do this without support from those closest to you! I think thats what brought so many of us to this forum. Please know that here you can voice whatever you are feeling, good or bad, and be understood. Keep up the good work :)

KrisAnn

#6 RickWC

RickWC

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • why_joining:
    Trying to quit Cymbalta

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

Sorry to all the women that have boyfriends that don't understand. I am not close with my family and am currently single. That's probably why I joined this forum. I'm still in the first week of weaning off cymbalta but I went cold turkey for 4 days a couple of years ago. I'm also a diabetic that has experienced low blood sugars on numerous occasions.

It's hard when our friends and family don't understand what we are going through. It sometimes makes you wish they could experience what you are going through so they can finaly understand.

#7 ScottC

ScottC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA
  • why_joining:
    Been on this drug for 5 years. Have had major side effects. Quit cold turkey 1 week ago and am having severe withdrawals. It is at least comforting to know I am not alone. This pill is pure evil in capsule form. It has been 5 years in hell.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Well team, the door can swing from both sides. I am a male in my 40's have been married for more than 20 years. I think the last 3 weeks, coming off Cymbalta cold turkey, have been some of the worst in our marriage and in my entire life. I know, because I live with myself, that I am one hell of a guy to be around right now. I do not recall ever having such a temper and it seems that filter (the one that keeps us from saying stupid things) is just gone. Having tried to prepare my wife as well as I could and also keeping her informed through this madness has not gone as well as I had planned. She is definitely not part of my fan club right now and I have decided to just keep to myself as much as possible.

I wonder how wide, deep and large this path of destruction is from this stupid little pill with the total sum of lives this has ruined. I am one who believes in personal responsibility but it is almost as if I am living inside someone I do not recognize. It would sure be nice to be a recipient of sympathy instead of outright hostility. Who knows where this will lead but one thing is for certain, I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS DRUG - IT IS KILLING ME. I think being the spouse of boy friend/girl friend of one coming off this hellish little pill, if they can stick it out, deserves a medal in my book. This has been an absolute nightmare.

#8 Cat

Cat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • why_joining:
    coming off Cymbalta

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

Well team, the door can swing from both sides. I am a male in my 40's have been married for more than 20 years. I think the last 3 weeks, coming off Cymbalta cold turkey, have been some of the worst in our marriage and in my entire life. I know, because I live with myself, that I am one hell of a guy to be around right now. I do not recall ever having such a temper and it seems that filter (the one that keeps us from saying stupid things) is just gone. Having tried to prepare my wife as well as I could and also keeping her informed through this madness has not gone as well as I had planned. She is definitely not part of my fan club right now and I have decided to just keep to myself as much as possible.

I wonder how wide, deep and large this path of destruction is from this stupid little pill with the total sum of lives this has ruined. I am one who believes in personal responsibility but it is almost as if I am living inside someone I do not recognize. It would sure be nice to be a recipient of sympathy instead of outright hostility. Who knows where this will lead but one thing is for certain, I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS DRUG - IT IS KILLING ME. I think being the spouse of boy friend/girl friend of one coming off this hellish little pill, if they can stick it out, deserves a medal in my book. This has been an absolute nightmare.

Thank you for posting, and I agree. I would rather be depressed than on Cymbalta.
Regards,
Cat
(Jerika)

#9 Sam I am

Sam I am

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMid-west lower Michigan
  • why_joining:
    to learn what others have experienced and to share my own

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

My boyfriend is the exact same asshole. :( i feel you. He doesn't understand ANYTHING! I'm going on the two weeks mark as well and I've been really pissy lately. We are in a very bad roommate/ apartment situation and I can't take it anymore. I literally want to hunt someone down. I can't tell anyone how I feel anymore cause they have some asshat explanation or tell me "i told you so." I feel like the world is against me sometimes no matter what. (Could be my emotions talking idk). I've also been dating the same guy for 4 years and I starting taking medicine 4 years ago cause of him... he claimed i was too depressed and emotional. (Note my age was 16/ 17).

Perhaps I shouldnt interject relationship issues here, but do you really want to contunue with someone who prefers you medicated to being yourself? I'm not sure there is such a thing as a 16/17 that isn't "too" emotional. That is kind of the norm in adolescence. Maybe if you had him neutered he would calm down a bit about your challenges. Jk ( I'M FEELING A LITTLE BETTER, ENOUGH TO START JOKING)Do what you need for you and the right people will come and go from your life.

#10 Daybyday

Daybyday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm sorry your boyfriend isn't supportive. My boyfriend reacted the same way at first. I'm usually a super calm level headed person and 2 weeks into the withdraw I just kept snapping at him. I finally sit down with him and explained exactly how I was feeling physically in a lot of detail. Such as how it feels to get the headzaps. I also explained why I'm not taking it anymore and what can happen if I do. He went from my biggest advisory to my biggest supporter. Right now your boyfriend thinks you are putting yourself in a lot of unnecessary pain for problems that might happen. If you paint him a clearer picture of what's happening to you he'll come around. :)

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Another thing that works SIA is to have hin/her read some of the entries on the site. This might make him/her get a clearer picture of yoour suffering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users