5 replies to this topic

#1 nifferwest

nifferwest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia since early 2011, shortly after going through breast cancer. The chemo seemed to increase my fibro symptoms and I also have nerve damage in my feet from the chemo. Cymbalta seemed the right choice for both. I have been on 60mg for a couple of years.

Last Dec my doc increased it to 90mg. I was on 90 mg for almost 2 months but it was affecting my sex life so I cut back to 60mg on my own. Had several days of dizziness and at the same time ended up with pneumonia and was very short of breath. I thought the shortness of breath was the pneumonia.

On March 18, after routine blood work, my doctor decided that my blood sugar was high from the Cymbalta. He wanted to "wean" me off of it and switch me to Effexor. His plan was to drop to 30mg for a week ... the switch to 37.5mg of Effexor for a week ... then 75mg of Effexor for a week ... then up to 150mg of Effexor.  I was on Effexor several years ago at the lowest dose and weaned myself off of it because I felt it wasn't doing anything for me.  The withdrawal from that was nasty too ... mood swings and irritability.

I was expecting the dizziness from the Cymbalta withdrawal but not the rest. The sudden fatigue, arms and legs feeling like cement blocks, moodiness, anxiety, panic attacks in the middle of the night, are brutal. I've also experienced nausea and diarrhea. The worst though is the shortness of breath. I can barely walk across the room without having to stop and gasp for air. Oh and I've been having weird dreams and can barely sleep. My heart rate doesn't go below 115. My husband says he noticed signs of sleep apnea too. And I almost forgot about the swollen ankles and feet.

I see my doctor tomorrow morning and I plan on telling him I don't want to be on Effexor either. That should be lots of fun. I am hoping he will be able to help with the high heart rate and shortness of breath, if I can convince him that it's from the Cymbalta withdrawal.

I increased my Cymbalta back up to 45mg approx. yesterday because I couldn't stand the shortness of breath any longer ... it just wasn't getting better. I have ordered 5htp and I am hoping it comes in the mail today. It is supposed to help boost serotonin levels. I've read that the main thing about Cymbalta withdrawal is that your serotonin levels start to tank. A friend also suggested Turmeric capsules. Apparently she was on Cymbalta and switched to the Turmeric and she doesn't notice the difference. So hopefully that will get here by the end of the week.

Has anyone else experienced the shortness of breath?

I am really going to research any drugs my doctor suggests from here on it. This is craziness! I can't believe this drug got approved!

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

nifferwest Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice to meet you and glad that you found us. Your symptoms do sounds like the symptoms of w/d when coming off this poison. However the sob concerns me. Maybe be sure this symptom isn't coming from something else ex: heart/lung. Not to alarm you but I'd just want to be sure about that.

I tried to stop Cymbalta accidently by the cold turkey way and that sucked. Then tried to stop it per my pain physicianj's instructions that sucked too. It was then I found this forum and learned how to wean slowly off this nasty drug by bead counting.

I am now 13 days off this poison and am working my way toward a better future.

Again welcome and let us know how you're doing. :hug: 

I don't have a clue as to why there is a stupid line in my posting....ahhhh well it's Monday maybe that has something to do with it I dunno :wacko: 

#3 nifferwest

nifferwest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thanks equuswoman! I went back to emerg a week or so ago thinking my shortness of breath was from the pneumonia. They took and xray and said my lungs are all clear. I have found a couple of websites that talk about Cymbalta causing tackacardia (fast heartbeat) and I even found a blog where a woman is convinced her sleep apnea is from Cymbalta too. I will be seeing my doc tomorrow morning and hoping he can help with the sob because it's the worse to deal with ... that and the high pulse makes me feel anxious all the time. I am so glad I found this forum and know that I am not the only one going through this.

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi nifferwest

Welcome! I'm not a doc, but from my trench-time, the anxiety is always the wild card that needs to be addressed first, and it's surprising how that alters perspective. Having said that, I hope you don't have other health issues!

Your doctor put you on a very creative rapid-descent withdrawal schedule that will bring on cold-turkey withdrawal. I know you know- it's no fun.

Cymbalta (and antidepressant withdrawal in general) is the Symptom Trickster-- just look at the list of 'known' symptoms for these drugs. Understandably, many of us have gone to the ER or to the clinic with a great variety of frightening symptoms when we are in withdrawal, especially cold-turkey withdrawal.

Hopefully your trip to the doctor tomorrow will prove helpful.  I hope the doctor will acknowledge those symptoms that are withdrawal-related, and explore those that aren't.   But I am  guessing, however, that he or she will view it all as symptoms of depression, and try to start you on some new antidepressant. This is common. 

It's just so hard to know what's real and what isn't during withdrawal; it's confounding for all, including the physician. Keep us posted.

Best wishes!

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hi nifferwest, welcome! You've come to the right place for "all things cymbalta withdrawal"!

I'm not going to be able to write a long message tonight, as my optic neuritis (a lingering "gift" from crapalta withdrawal) is messing with my vision...but I want to make several important suggestions....

First, please, do NOT take 5-HT while you are still on cymbalta....you will put yourself at risk for serotonin syndrome...which is even worse than the cymbalta withdrawal symptoms....also, don't use l-tryptophan for the same reason..... In fact, stay away from all amino supplements for the time being....they are powerful, and need to be carefully researched before using...here's a link to a discussion we've had about them....

https://www.cymbalta...id-supplements/

Also, please do NOT take turmeric, or any other supplement, just because it works for someone else....it's essential that you first research everything for yourself, and, ideally,discuss it with us here.... Also, if/when you do try a supplement, start with very very small doses... Our bodies are very different, and on top of that, cymbalta seems to make us ultra sensitive to supplements, meds and foods....

The best way to get off cymbalta is the bead counting method....others here know more about it than I do .... I quit cold turkey and I truly do not recommend it as a good way to go..... Many docs don't know about bead counting.... They are idiots....

Cymbalta gave me both tachycardia and high blood pressure.... It can play havoc with bp and heart rate....don't let your doc tell you otherwise....

Quite a few members of this community have fibro, and will be able to share excellent info, experience and support with you on that....

Bravo for what you're doing! Please let us know how it goes with your doc tomorrow!

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Nifferwest, how'd it go with your doc today?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users