• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

I've been on 30mg Cymbalta since June of 2007. It helped when it was needed, but now I'm in a better place and decided to stop. My first attempt was about two years ago, didn't go well, tried the cold turkey method, big no-no. After three days I felt like I was coming out of my skin. On the third day at noon I couldn't take it any longer, I poped a pill and within 20 - 30 min I was back up and running.

My next attempt was earlier this year...I started pulling ONE bead a day from my original formula Cymbalta, was doing pretty good until my next script was filled, I was down 16 beads, the new generic had six large beads, or what I like to call pellets. So, I had just enough of the old pills to ramp back up and level out before I started reducing pellets. I was a bit aprehensive starting a generic...never know how a new companies formulary will actually work. But, after one week on the generic with NO problems I decided to pull a pellet, that was March 8. I actually had no side effects dropping 5mg, maybe a slight dizzy spell once, but that could be attributed to glucose levels...who knows.

So, after 21 days, I took another leap-of-faith and pulled two pellets. The first day on 20mg I felt a bit out-of-it. Just a bit of brain fog. It wasn't until day five on the 20mg that I had anything attributable to withdrawal symptoms...mild nausea, night sweats. I think what kept me going in a positive direction was that I stayed super busy with family and friends.

Today I feel like my old self again...my thoughts are to continue removing one additional pellet every 21 days. I'm pretty sure I can do this :)

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

That's wonderful, FriEED!

One pellet every 3 weeks (21 days) seems like a solid plan....and of course, if you feel you need to, you can slow it down even further....sounds like you figured out a good way to make the adjustment from the brand to the generic.....

I've been thinking about you, as we haven't heard from you in a while.....please keep checking back to let us know how you're doing..... Your success encourages the rest of us!

#3 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

If it works, do it! :P

#4 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Notions...I'll continue to give updates as I progress.

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Give it a go!

#6 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

I've been on 30mg Cymbalta since June of 2007. It helped when it was needed, but now I'm in a better place and decided to stop. My first attempt was about two years ago, didn't go well, tried the cold turkey method, big no-no. After three days I felt like I was coming out of my skin. On the third day at noon I couldn't take it any longer, I poped a pill and within 20 - 30 min I was back up and running.

My next attempt was earlier this year...I started pulling ONE bead a day from my original formula Cymbalta, was doing pretty good until my next script was filled, I was down 16 beads, the new generic had six large beads, or what I like to call pellets. So, I had just enough of the old pills to ramp back up and level out before I started reducing pellets. I was a bit aprehensive starting a generic...never know how a new companies formulary will actually work. But, after one week on the generic with NO problems I decided to pull a pellet, that was March 8. I actually had no side effects dropping 5mg, maybe a slight dizzy spell once, but that could be attributed to glucose levels...who knows.

So, after 21 days, I took another leap-of-faith and pulled two pellets. The first day on 20mg I felt a bit out-of-it. Just a bit of brain fog. It wasn't until day five on the 20mg that I had anything attributable to withdrawal symptoms...mild nausea, night sweats. I think what kept me going in a positive direction was that I stayed super busy with family and friends.

Today I feel like my old self again...my thoughts are to continue removing one additional pellet every 21 days. I'm pretty sure I can do this :)

YES you can do this and the ppl here on this forum will be glad to help! :hug: TheEquusWoman been there done that sometimes it wasn't pretty but I am now OFF this poison! My injured brain is trying to heal itself...I have faith that I will be "ok"... ;)

#7 Deeneedshelp

Deeneedshelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • why_joining:
    I need to stop taking Cymbalta because of side effects & I don't believe it's helping anymore. Need advice & input from caring, understanding people. My family just doesn't "get it" & neither does my doc (big surprise).

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Hi all ~ I'm new here & this is EXACTLY where I need to be, (Thank the Cyber Lords)! :)  Been taking 30mg Cymbalta for 2 yrs - for depression (caused by chronic pain, i.e.: messed up back & neck, blah blah blah) & also for pain. Not really sure if it helped much for pain cause I started it right after a minor neck surgery. Also at that time, my daughter was pregnant with quadruplets, went into pre-term labor at 19 weeks (4 weeks after my surgery & Cymbalta), & lost 3 of her 4 baby girls within the next 3 weeks & our lone survivor was born at 25 wks & spent 4 mos. in the hospital. (she's FINE now, by the way, Thank God & Modern Medicine & is expecting a little sister soon). Needless to say, I believe I needed Cymbalta at that time. :(   So...I recently started the generics & really don't think I've noticed much of a difference (it's only been a few months). I've been experiencing those DARN NIGHT SWEATS & sweating attacks when I'm out in a crowd since early on.  I wake up & my hair & pillow are soaking wet! I'm 7 yrs. post menopause & had terrible night sweats & hot flashes & I swear they were subsiding until I started taking Cymbalta! Of course, doc thinks it's menopause! ugh... I will NOT start HRT now, at this point. If I was gonna do that, I would've 10 yrs. ago. Anyway...I'm determined to wean off these pills. I take Tylenol 4 three to four times a day & after taking xanax for the last several years for sleep & anxiety when I go out, he switches me to Klonopin! It's working, I guess, but I'd rather have xanax :(. I also take Flexoril once in a while, not daily. I just opened one of my generic capsules & there are a ton of tiny beads, not pellets. I have no way to count or even know how much to remove. Dee needs help! :(  I'm about to pour over ALL posts, comments & ways you all are managing this scary feat. I have gone about 3 days without once & felt icky so I went back on. Question: does it come in 20mg & 10mg?? Is there not a way to wean safely with my doc? I know it's a question for him, but I just had a second neck surgery in Dec. & still have some side effects from that so he doesn't think I should just yet. Saw him last month & won't see him again for another 2 mos. But after these ridiculous sweating attacks, I'M OVER IT!  :wacko: 

#8 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have not seen a generic with tiny beads... hummm so far when I got switched it's been pellets.. gosh this concerns me as well.. the lowest dose is 20 mgs, I've gotten down to 10 using the removal of pellets with the generic.. I'm having issues and have to stay on this dose for a while till I level out.. I think I went to fast. But My Dr. gave me the advice on how to come off and it put me into  a whirl wind.. had to up.. her suggestion was to fast. And she has no other.. So I'm on my own... keep up the good work but take it very slowly.. I don't know what to say about the tiny beads in the generic.. that would surly be a problems I'll have to keep an eye out.

#9 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Tomorrow I remove my thrid pellet...going down to 15mg. Never thought I'd get this far...

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

FriEED, wonderful news!

Keep us posted!

#11 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

All good...just some minor dizziness the first day.

#12 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

FriEED...Sounds like you have a grip on it! Great job and keep us posted...

#13 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Removing pellet number four in the morning...will be down to TWO!!!

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

How are you feeling FriEED?

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Wow, wonderful news, FriEED!

#16 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

FriEED

Good work!

#17 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm doing pretty darn good...not 100%, but gettin' there.

#18 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Oh how I love success stories! Yay FriEED!

#19 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Went down to one pellet on May 23rd...a little edgy the next day and dizzy as usual, but nothing over the top. I run out of pills next week...so that will be it!!! FREEEEEE :)

#20 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Took my last pill yesterday...

#21 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

FriEED

You started March 8 and finished today; that's a very sensible withdrawal timetable- just under 3 months. Good work! When did the acute or overt symptoms go away- the brain zaps, vertigo, fibro-like aches and pains?

#22 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

Thismoment - my symptoms were very mild at this pace, I ocassionly experienced dissiness and irritability.

#23 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

FriEED,

CONGRATULATIONS!  What a sensible withdrawal and without extremely horrible s/e's! :D

#24 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

One week and Cymbalta free!!!

During my weaning process, things went rather well, a few tollerable moments of dizziness was all that I can complain about. But, two days after my last pellet I felt like hell...dizzy, confused, brain fog, aches and pains in almost every joint. I guess my body was hanging on to the absolute last traces of Cymbalta in my body, and it didn't like what was happening. Barely slept as well. I almost caved and took a pellet just to calm things down...my guess, seven years being on this med, your body gets very used to having it around.

Four days in and things started to stabilize. Five days and feeling better. Six! Almost there! Today...overwhelmed with happiness, I'm back to the normal; the fluent thinking person I used to be before this medicine. I work in an engineering department for a very large aircraft manufucture that sells planes to the government...I have to have my sh_t together for prodcution needs that require 100% of my attention. Today I AM BACK!!!

#25 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Wow what an awesome recovery. You are truly one of the blessed one.

#26 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Jumping for joy for you, FriEED!!!!!! :)

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

You need to change your forum name to FREED !!

#28 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

FiveNotions - Keen eye you have there :)

#29 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

FREED!!

Congratulations! You followed a very sensible withdrawal regimen, and I think it's significant that you are using words like "I am back to normal… 100% of my attention. . . I AM BACK!" You went slow and you healed.

Best wishes.

#30 FriEED

FriEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I really never thought I'd be back here to talk about Cym...WAIT!!!, I had to stop and think about spelling the rest of that word out. Not one of my favorite words to type. I'll just leave it at Cym.

I deciced to append this update in THIS thread for now, don't want to start another post and have new folks read it without some history. I don't like worrying people about something that may not affect them.

It's been 25 days since my last pellet, I felt somewhat euphoric the first week I was free...but then very small, barley noticeble things started to happen.

1. Not getting the best of sleep. seems to have peaked a few days ago and going back to more normal.

2. Feeling out-of-sorts, kind of surreal, but not the full effect of looking out and seeing in. 

3. A bit more emotional than I used to be.

4. Quiet, not so sociable, but getting better

My overall feeling is that after the drug was completly gone, my brain chemistry had to pick-up the load where it hadn't done so in quite some time. I was doing fine up until the 18th day. I had to take my wife to the Optomitrist. I watched her going through all the stations of eye probing and exam, then they asked her to give a blood pressure reading, this was the first time I'd ever seen this at the eye doctor? This freaked me out...i've had a funny little phobia since childhood...blood pressure cuffs scare the hell of me!!! I've been treated for high blood pressure many times in the past, only to be mis-daignosed.

I had to cancell my eye appointment the following day...just couldn't bring myself to have that device inflated around my arm...feels like I'm a caged animal and I can't escape. Yeah,  i know, the brain is a strange thing.

So after the 18th day i've been pulling myself out of hole. It feels like walking up a hill with an unusually large load, BUT! I'm still climbing...

I hope to tell you that I'm free and clear again in another 18 days or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users