15 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Had my first meeting with the shrink this afternoon, spent 1hour and 15 min.

Nausea, lack of appetite , anxiety are not due to withdrawal. Withdrawal lasts at the most 3 weeks. His words. ??????

Dysthemia is causing that. ???? all symptoms of withdrawal are far gone, he said.?????

And since I had a childhood so lacking in affection, I do tend to choose partners that are not suitable for me, very low esteem(uncounscious). I dont always feel this(low esteem) But with the choices of men, I have to see a corrolation. And off goes anxiety and depression and that at the beginning of the relationship.  And afterwards later in life, comes dysthemia. And, that will always be present, at different degrees. Learn to live with this, it will alleviate, and depending on life's circumstances, it can go up again.

Tag also in a moderate way.

He's referring me to a social worker, which I am happy about.

In all this talk, I forgot to mention hydroxyzine, seeing family dr next week, will do that then.

I take dezirel 25mg for sleep, he said to go to 50, could help with anxiety and unease.

He does not like the ativan, but understand it is not the time to stop it.

Could my brain be damaged, I asked? no way, he said.

All in all, except the first part, I am very glad I went to see him. Explained so much about myself.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

What a jerk!! No more than 3 weeks!!! Not damage!!! It is a good thing I wasn't there. They would still be trying to peel my hands off his throat. Why am I so mad? It not like shrinks are human or are intelligent.

I don't know what to say Gail other than I am so sorry and hang in there.

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Gail - I am glad that you found some comfort in learning more about yourself, but other than that - I agree w/fishinghat - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! :angry:

You will like the social worker, I am sure, and will feel as if you are getting somewhere.  Good that you are seeing family doc to get prescription for hydroxyzine - I feel that things will improve for you :)

I offer all of my support and will keep you in my thoughts.

Hugs and prayers,

Liz :hug:

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Fishinfhat, I had no arguments valid, except saying that I was in a withdrawal forum and that it said otherwise. No way, he said, impossible, withdrawal is over. Wish you had been there,  But, you would have ended in prison, and we need you here.

Liz, yes, I am looking forward to see a social worker, I'm a solitary person, so I'm sure it will be good. He said that I needed to talk to someone besides my best friend. Forgot to mention that in the melting pot, menopause was also a culprit, that, he said.

Your support is very appreciated. I thank you Liz.

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Gail

I agree with fishinghat. 

I guess your psychiatrist hasn't heard that dysthymia doesn't exist any more. It was replaced (see DSM-5) in May of 2013. It's lumped in with regular old chronic and major depressive disorder, and is now called 'persistent depressive disorder'. I think that's an upgrade because it drops the 'neurotic' aspect of the old dysthymia definition. lol

Take care Gail. You can get through this, and you CAN heal and find peace.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

I forgot to mention that dysthimia does not affect necesserely the neurotransmitors. His words. But he was astounded that lexapro or cymbalta did nothing to alleviate the anxiety or the depressive symptoms .Well,  so much for controversy. On that, I rephrased what he had just said, just to make sure I understood right. There was a moment of, yup, I just scewed up, not me, him.. After all, I am not so lost in space. I can still follow a conversation, good for me1

If I understand right, you learn to live with it, there is no antidepressant that will do the job. Since antidepressant work on neurotransmitors, yeah, no more antidepressants! What a life!

#7 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

Bless his heart, as we like to say in Texas... He doesn't know what he doesn't know, nor does he sound open to learning something new. :mellow:

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

xman

That sounds like the Illiterati  Ignorant and proud of it!!

#9 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I can honestly say that anxiety and stress without a doubt manifested into physical ailments for me prior to going on Lexapro and Cymbalta. I know this for sure because the symptoms I was suffering from disappeared under those meds. As you all know, those meds bring on a host of other side effects. There is a fine line I battle of fact or fiction in my own mind on when I've been truly off-kilter over the past few weeks. Am I driving anxiety myself and it's causing me side effects? All plausible. HOWEVER with that aside, I cannot imagine how in the HELL I could be causing my own tinnitus, vertigo and increased BP from my own mind. I feel that doctor is reading labels from pharmacy companies and clearly not listening to his patients. 

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Phillyguy, what you've said rings true with my own experience.... anxiety and stress have manifested physically in me ever since childhood.... I'm at the point now where I'm refusing to use meds....I'm still on wellbutrin, but that is my next project for withdrawal....and I'm doing my best to manage the anxiety with things like yoga, meditation, and a few supplemts ( which seem to be helping but may well be placebo effect, in which case that's just fine with me)....

I doubt you're causing any of those symptoms....they are all typical of what many or most of us here have experienced during withdrawal and the first mot HS off....for example, I'm almost five months off crapalta, and as I just posted elsewhere, the tinnitus came back today...it had been gone for over a month....and I'd lived with it for years while on cymbalta....

Also, from my own experience, cymbalta raised my pulse and bp greatly, within a week or two of getting off both returns to normal...my doc is still refusing to accept that, however....

Vertigo has gone, and please Lord don't ever let it return...that was the very worst,along with the nausea that came with it....

Your doc sounds like he graduated from the same school of medical stupidity that mine did....

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Phillyguy

'There is a fine line I battle of fact or fiction in my own mind . . .'' 

There is just no way to know what's doing what, and I know exactly what you mean- this fact-and-fiction conundrum is all the inner voice seems to talk about.

Imagine a back yard covered in a variety of beautiful flowers. There's a luxurious red rose right in the middle that needs some water. But you don't take a watering can out to the rose, rather, you flood the entire garden with 6 inches of water and leave it there for a long period of time- then you drain it off. Everything is affected. It's the same garden, but it all looks different: some flowers were drowned, some flopped over, and others shed their blossoms. It will come back in time, and surely it will be beautiful once again, but it cannot possibly be the identical garden it was before the flood.

Brain systems are interconnected, and when we tamper with one system, we tamper with others. 

I empathize with your struggle, and I totally understand the frustration, incredulity, and the profound sense of betrayal. I still have withdrawal 'artifacts' after 21 months, and one of them is tinnitus.

#12 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

FiveNotions

I'm sorry to hear the tinnitus has returned. Is it in both ears or just one?

I had it in both ears for 2 years while on Cymbalta, and following withdrawal, it has stayed with me- but just in my right ear. It's right around 13000 HZ.

Perhaps there is hope for yours to go away again, because it came and went once before! 

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Heh heh...it's stereo right now as I write this....I'm betting it's just "passing through" ..... I kinda wore myself out today by making my brain engage in computer and job search/resume updating.....the tinnitus hit right after I'd finished dealing with some frustrating computer problems....maybe what I'm hearing is the sound of my little remaining gray matter screaming in agony from being asked to actually do something!?

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

FN that's interesting- perhaps it can be triggered by stress. 

Might be worth a test- like take a morning to relax: schedule a neck and shoulders massage and follow it with a soothing bath using your favourite salts and aromas. Then lie down on a comfortable spot and drift off, or perhaps play a meditation recording. Maybe the tinnitus will wane, or just disappear.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you are updating your resume and you're planning to get back out there. I think you can just walk out and do it. No need to be cautious or sell yourself short- I don't think you could do that for long anyway! 

For what it's worth, I'd hire you in a heartbeat.

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Aw, TM, thank you for saying that ! :-D

#16 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

:~) smiling at the posts.

My tinnitus started during crapalta. Never had it before and have no inner ear problems whatsoever. My right ears--always...interesting huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users