• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LaniH

LaniH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

After reading about all the horrible wd symptoms everyone has had to deal with and I'm freaking out. I found the forum because I've been excessively um... cranky. Yes we'll call it cranky. Since I stopped my meds. Went from 90 to 60 to 30 to off. Figured it'd take a bit to regulate myself, but holy crap. I don't know if my family can survive me dealing with all this crazy stuff. :( I need to figure out how to make all this cause as little impact to my kids and husband as possible, but I have a feeling it's going to be really, really bad. Terrified of the fluid retention; I just started trying to take better care of myself and eat better, and this is going to be a huge hit against that. I know that's purely my vanity crying out, but it's real. I don't know what I'm thinking right now, totally overwhelmed with everything and freaking out a little, so I apologize for the rambling and being all over the place. Why is something still on the market that causes withdrawal symptoms like this?!?

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

Hi Lani, I'm so glad you found us! You can get through this, and we'll do everything we can to help! Most docs don't have a clue about how hard this drug is to quit and the range of withdrawal effects that we can get....the folks on this forum do know....

First, you are not alone, you're right here with us.....you're safe .....we've all been there, and we know just what you mean! Especially about the being "cranky"! And yes, fluid retention is common....especially for us gals......all sorts of fun, huh/sarc....

The "step down" approach that you used isn't at all easy on the body...the only harder way to do it is by quitting cld turkey...which is what I did...i had been on 60 mg for 7-8 years....I made it through, have been off cymbalta for almost five months, but I sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Assuming you haven't been off the stuff too long (months), the best way to quit is to bead count...by removing just a few beads a day.....or even just one, depending on how sensitive your body is to the process.... Others here can explain how to do this in detail...I'll leave it to them, as I don't have personal experience....

It would involve going back on the cymbalta, at the lowest dosage level where you can stabilize and feel "solid" ....and then bead counting down from there.... this go slow approach makes even more sense because you have a family to look after.....

Some additional info would be helpful so we can start helping you with your process....

I gather you were taking 90 mg...for how long? How long did you spend at each dosage step? How long have you been off completely?

And for what were you taking it -- depression, fibro, pain, etc?

Why did you decide to quit, and was it your doc who told you to use the step down approach?

For right now, take a look at the info posted in the "nutritional support" and "what are you feeling" forums.... That'll give you some ideas for what supplements and foods help, as well as ideas for dealing with specific symptoms....

You can do this!

#3 LaniH

LaniH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for responding! I was only on C for about 2.5 years, but my body thinks its been forever. My MS doc prescribed it for depression after my grandfather passed because it also doubles as a pain reducer. Not that I NEEDED a pain reducer, but I went along with it. I decided a few months ago that I should be past the depression point of that loss and I was tired of taking pills to be happy, so I stopped, cold turkey, for a day. When I thought I was going to pass out from the headache, dizziness, nausea, etc I got back on. I've slowly stepped down over the course of a couple months and my body actually dealt with that relatively well until I was off completely. Its been 6 days (I think) and I'm all over the place emotionally, but I try to forewarn anyone with whom I'm going to be around for a period of time. My husband isnt being very supportive, just getting mad/irritated that I'm in a bad mood. My kids don't know WHAT to think, even though I'm trying hardest to be "normal" for them. I'm not going to give up, I've already come this far.

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi welcome to the forum glad that you found us. I slowly weaned off this poison over a period of 4 months. Was on it for chronic pain of my lower back due to osteoarthritis. The ppl here on the forum will be glad to help you as they did me. TheEquusWoman

#5 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hi Lani - I've been off Cymbalta for a couple months. I went the cold turkey route and what a roller coaster nightmare it's been. The best advice I can offer you is to actually show your husband this website. Ask your husband to put down the TV remote and spend an hour reviewing story after story abotu the suffering attributed to Cymbalta discontinuation withdrawal. Gaining support whether it's through family or friends is critical. YOU have to keep in mind, your trials and tribulations are completely unknown to your loved ones. They need to have patience and understanding with you during this difficult time. Of course, this site is also extremely informative and supportive...especially if you are not getting it at home. Lastly, stay positive :) Our nightmare is only temporary, not permanent from Cymbalta withdrawal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users