4 replies to this topic

#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

I've come across a couple of anecdotal accounts of good results being achieved by weaning in baby-steps as opposed to weaning at a constant rate of reduction.

Using a slow taper as many advocate, keeps the person in a constant state of withdrawal, and when things become acute and too rough, we say stop reducing or go back up a few beads until you stabilize.

Using the baby-step method, you remove (say) just 5 beads each day over a period of a week. This allows your body adjust, to catch up throughout the time period. After a week or so (when comfortable), remove 5 more beads for another week, and so on.

The constant taper method leads to a number of small crises that require a level-off each time. The baby-step method begins with a small crisis but works towards equilibrium each time, so perhaps the Baby-Step method  offers a more positive feel overall.

Examples-

1.Constant Taper Method: (from 100 beads).
Mon 99 beads.
Tue 98 beads.
Wed 97 beads. Withdrawal symptoms get steadily, slowly stronger.
Thu 96 beads.
Fri 95 beads.
Sat. 94 beads.
Sun 93 beads.
Continual withdrawal symptoms throughout, followed by crisis. Must stop tapering for a while, or back up by adding beads.

2. Baby-Step Method: (from 100 beads).
Mon 95 beads.
Tue 95 beads. Withdrawal symptoms begin early, but move toward equilibrium.
Wed 95 beads.
Thu. 95 beads.
Fri 95 beads.
Sat. 95 beads.
Sun. 95 beads.
Monday- stay at 95 beads if required, or reduce to 90 beads for the next week.

I think this is worth trying.

#2 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hi thismoment. I am doing the baby steps. A bit slower than that though. I started on dropping one bead a day, had to keep at a certain level for about 3 days and then started dropping one bead again. I am now dropping 2 beads a day and today have dropped a total of 10 mg. I have 50 to go. I will continue this way until I am done. My next move after I've done this for another few weeks will be 3 beads a day. The only symptom I get is the weird feeling in my head, like I'm not quite in the present. I take a half of a Xanes which is .25 and that takes care of it. Feeling so much better than I was before.

Have a wonderful Easter today. Bless you, Ginny

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

GinnyKim61

That's fantastic! Yes, no set number of beads to start, and of course no restriction on the time envelope. Glad it's working; I've read elsewhere that the system has enjoyed some success.

Yes, take out 1 bead from the capsule every day for (say) a week, then take out 2 beads every day for a week and so on- makes for gentle baby steps indeed! Perfect.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take many days for equilibrium to restore, and that would be the cue to remove another bead over the next week or whatever period of time you find comfortable.

With the Baby-Steps system, there is a 'positive' at the end of each segment.

I love your description of getting the weird feeling in your head, like you're not quite in the present. I know what you mean.

#4 carolberri

carolberri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

I am taking 60 mg per evening..(my choice) before bedtime with Lorazapam, and Trazadone..I don't know how many beads to start taking out and I don't know if I should take the other meds..can someone help me get started with how many is in the capsule so I can plan my withdrawal?

so I could start by taking out the beads process, but keep taking Trazadone?

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Welcome Carolberri. If you are going to wean off the Cymbalta do not touch the other meds. Keep them on the regular dosage and schedule.  As far as how many beads in a capsule...well that depends on the brand. I am afraid there is only one thing to do. Open one up and count. Sorry, I wish there was an easier way.

In bead counting I suggest that each day you remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users