Photo

Military Doctors Had Me On Potentially Lethal Cymbalta Combinations.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hickupp

Hickupp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

A post from msn on potentially lethal drug combinations:
http://healthyliving...dentally-lethal

This was a terrible point in my life. I had most of the side effects that you all describe but it took forever for me to tie it to Cymbalta because of everything they had me on at the time. I remember going in to the doctor's office complaining about being so tired all the time. For that he put me on 90mg adderall a day. He even told me the pharmacy might not allow it because it was above the recommended daily dose. Well they did allow it. I was given hydrocodone and Valium as well. I went from a kind and patient person to an angry and hostile a-hole. Looking back I can't believe I never hurt anyone. I'm so thankful that my marriage survived it all. I was so angry all the time. The pain killers made me more patient and less angry so for that benefit plus the physical pain the Cymbalta was causing me I would run out of pain killers early. When I felt I may have been dependent on them I got angry of course and quit them cold turkey. The withdrawal wasn't too bad but when I didn't improve I realized it was the Cymbalta. Stopping that brought a far worse withdrawal. Years later I'm left wondering if I'll ever be right again. On a positive note I realized it was the Cymbalta that made me crave alcohol. I used to hide bottles of vodka everywhere and would drink from the bottles all through the day. After quitting Cymbalta I never feel like drinking anymore. I come close to vomiting just thinking about it. My liver test from the VA came back healthy and I have no idea how it withstood such an onslaught of bad drugs and alcohol.

#2 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hickupp-Thanks for the feedback. Ah yes such familiarity in your story in that I wondered why I was eating stuff I didn't like and on pain meds that weren't working...thankfully no alcohol. Once I stopped the crapalta, I no longer craved the sweets and I have been able to reduce pain killers tremendously. And to think, that was why I was put on the stuff!! For pain. I became a different person altogether and can only HOPE to get some of my life back to normal, whatever that looks like.   Happy to hear your marriage and liver survived. :D

#3 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

DITTO DITTO DITTO and TOUCHE!

One thing for sure, regardless of what we are going thru now and what withdrawals may come, life will be MUCH better once this CRAP is out of our systems!  Life may not be 100% the same as it was but I'm sure anything will be better than all of the side effects!!!

#4 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

I second that emotion!!!!!

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi Hickupp

Man you've been through it, and you deserve some peace!

Yes, Cymbalta craves alcohol. Glad to hear you made it through that one, because I know from personal experience that's a scary aspect of the drug.

You said, "Years later I'm left wondering if I'll ever be right again." It's a reasonable question to ask, but unfortunately there is no satisfactory answer. GonnaMakeIt said it, and I will expand some: If by 'right' you mean 'exactly the same as you were before the Cymbalta', that's impossible simply because of the changes made to your brain by the whole experience- the drugs, the emotional journey, the new behaviours learned, and the passage of time. But 'right' in the sense of healing and changing your brain back to feeling normal, functioning at a high level, having empathy, compassion, hope, and love return- YES!

I don't think it's helpful to seek that specific head space that was 'you' previous to the experience. Perhaps view it as though you've been in a coma for a couple of years and now that you've awoken, you have a wonderful opportunity to start a new life.

Best wishes!

#6 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hickupp,
You said years later ? How long have you been off the cymbalta ?

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hickupp and everyone else

This is from an article called "The Causes of Bipolar" from Psych Central

"Medications such as antidepressants can trigger a manic episode in people who are susceptible to bipolar disorder. Therefore, a depressive episode must be treated carefully in those people who have had manic episodes. Because a depressive episode can turn into a manic episode when an antidepressant medication is taken, an antimanic drug is also recommended to prevent a manic episode. The antimanic drug creates a “ceiling,” partially protecting the person from antidepressant-induced mania."

People who have family members with a mood disorder should be especially cautious when taking SSRI and SNRI antidepressants as they can trigger a mood disorder even if the person has never had this problem before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users