6 replies to this topic

#1 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey Everyone - Need your expert advice please! I've been at the same dose of Cymbalta (approx. 10mg) for over 2 weeks.  Prior to that, I was having major withdrawal symptoms, then after going back up on the dose a bit, I stabilized and the symptoms weren't as bad.  However, the past few days have been pretty brutal. The nausea is back with a vengeance, crying for no reason, feeling terrified that I am going to die.  It is all so bizarre.  Today I started out feeling really good, so mom and I went to do a little shopping.  After about an hour, my mood started going downhill, then the nausea really hit, then crying and now the terrified feelings, I feel horrible....... it was all so out of the blue, I thought today was going to be a good day.  I'm also having muscle pain and weakness in my neck and upper back that got worse along with all the other symptoms?  Don't know if this is from my muscle disease or possibly withdrawal?

So, my question - these seem like withdrawal symptoms even though I haven't dropped my dose in a while?  is that normal?  I've never had them come on so suddenly and be so severe so fast.   I'm also at the end of my period so maybe changing hormones are playing a role?  I've had horrible PMS and worse withdrawal symptoms before my period but usually not after?  I was planning on lowering my dose a teeny bit next week but now I'm wondering if I should hang out at this dose a little longer, or am I just prolonging the agony of getting off this drug?! 

I've had symptoms come on suddenly before, but nothing like the last few days, today being the worst.  It's taken me forever to type this..... I can't even think straight.  I'll try to check back in a little while.   Going to put on my pj's and give up on trying to anything else tonite. 

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Wise move with the pjs Tria.  Sorry to here you had such a bad day. The hormone issue may be part of this as it effects the pituitary which is effected by the withdrawal. It is also possible that maybe with feeling better you got a little carried away and did too much. I can't give you an explanation why but when you get feeling better you don't want to get up and be real active. It always seems to cause a relapse. Heard it a lot on here.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

I vote for withdrawal effects, Tria.....you may have overdone a bit by going shopping....during the first month or two of getting off this stuff almost anything can' set it off again....my pattern became several good days followed by a day or two of relapse...in fact, for example, I gave myself a two day relapse, yesterday and today, after being off it almost 7 months...I did a lot of apt cleaning, and even tho I paced myself, I still overdid...spent most of the last two days in bed or on the sofa....which is why I posted so much Researchr type stuff today...it's my "therapy" when my body gives out....I try to exercise my brain a bit....

The PMS probably isn't helping...hormones and lowered serotonin probably isn't a great combination....getting into you pjs and doing nothing is a good idea....

And, as TM and FH are always reminding us, the lower the doses you're at the harder it seems for a while....

Don't worry now about whether or not to lower your dose next week....next week isn't here yet, and you can decide after you see how you feel a couple of days from now....

There's no rush...this is your brain telling you it's doing some more "rearranging" of the circuits....give it some time and rest... ;-)

#4 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Tria , it sounds very much like the dreaded withdrawal to me all the s/e's you mention are familiar .
If it were me I would stay on the dose you're on now until you Stabalize & feel settled . There is no point in making things worse & you're already suffering . Do you have a benzo handy for when it gets unbearable ... Start with the smallest dose, you can always increase if it's needed . These are for short term use so don't overdo them .
I'm finding that when I release a lot of adrenaline by doing simple normal things like shopping or lunching with a friend or any form of exercise , I then suffer the s/e's !.
Hang in there ..:-)

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

Wise move with the pjs Tria.  Sorry to here you had such a bad day. The hormone issue may be part of this as it effects the pituitary which is effected by the withdrawal. It is also possible that maybe with feeling better you got a little carried away and did too much. I can't give you an explanation why but when you get feeling better you don't want to get up and be real active. It always seems to cause a relapse. Heard it a lot on here.

Fishinghat, that is so true & it happens to me all the time ... :-(

#6 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Thank you, my friends! I needed to hear what you have to say!  Wagtail, yes I have Xanax I can take and I've taken my last one for the day so hopefully it will help me sleep.  Poor mom got another sobbing phone call from me, although she pointed out that it had been quite a while since my last hysterical phone call, which is a good thing.  Maybe this will pass almost as quickly as it came. The terrified feeling is intense tonite, it hasn't been this bad in a long time. I think you all may be right that I overdid it.  It was a very tiring week because of work. I felt awful last night but went to bed super early and slept well.  Even so, I was surprised to wake up feeling good this morning. (I never ever feel good in the mornings, should have known something was up! haha)   Probably would have been better to spend the day at home, and I'm trying not to beat myself up over that.  As mom reminded me, it's over and done with, I can't change it so get a good night's rest and start again tomorrow.  I know she's right but I dread the thought of going to bed, I am literally afraid of going to bed (how irrational is that?).  My mind just won't stop racing, I feel like there is a ping pong ball inside of my brain!  Oh well, I am going to try my "calm me down" night time routine.... force myself to the couch, lights off, tv on for a while and hopefully I will fall asleep then stumble up to bed later.  After this bizarre day, I'm curious to see what tomorrow brings.   

#7 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi All - Just an update.  I am feeling somewhat better today.  Restless but very tired though and fuzzy headed.  One thing I've noticed before after having a particularly bad nite (like last nite)..... the next day I have trouble remembering things from last nite.  For example, last nite I put in a DVD and know I watched it for at least an hour but I don't remember anything that I watched?  Don't know if this is the Cymbalta or plain fatigue, or both?  My mood is better today, a little anxiety and rather cranky but that has been the norm.  Had an upset feeling when I woke up but that seems to have gone away, thank goodness. And no nausea, at least not yet.  That sometimes comes on later in the day. Thank you all again for your posts last night.  When I'm in the middle of one of those episodes, I feel like I'm losing my mind.  It is so good to have someone to reach out to!!

I do have a lot of pain in my face and neck today. Docs can't figure this out, it started out years ago with just the left side of my face by my temple but now almost the whole left side of my face will swell and the pain has spread to my neck, all over my scalp and to my right temple as well. My left cheek (and neck to a lesser extent) will also get fire red and very hot and painful.  One neuro I saw suggested this could be some atypical presentation of a cluster headache or migraine. Others think it's some type of neuralgia, most just shake their heads at it.  I don't think this is related to the Cym but who knows?  It has gotten worse since I started weaning?? I suppose it's possible the Cym was helping with the pain, or maybe the weaning is messing with my nervous system and making it worse??  I have to say that I'm very curious to see what symptoms I'm left with once I'm off this drug for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users