Photo

Is Tinnitus A Permanent Withdrawal Symptom?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I quite taking klonopin after 16 years of use in April.  I have had tinnitus since last summer.  I have read that tinnitus is a withdrawal side effect of Cymbalta.  For those who have this side effect does it go away?

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hi downtongirl, welcome!

When did you quit the cymbalta? What dose were you on and for how long? Did you quit cold turkey or are you bead counting?

Tinnitus can be a side effect of taking the poison, as well as a withdrawal/discontinuation effect.....

For example, I got tinnitus shortly after I went on cymbalta (about 7-8 years ago, 60 mg)....and it became bad enuf that it impaired my ability to hear conversations, music, the sounds of life.....about a month after I quit the poison (quit cold turkey in early December of last year) I heard the sound of my kitchen clock ticking...never knew it made a ticking sound until that moment!

I then had a couple of months with very much lessened tinnitus....but now, it's right back up to high volume....it even bothers me at night when I'm trying to go to sleep......

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi downtongirl

I got tinnitus as I started to withdraw from Cymbalta 2 years ago (beginning June 16, 2012). It started in both ears, but settled in my right ear only. It's still there. It was stable at around 13000 Hz, but has dropped to around 12500 Hz. Most of the time I don't notice it, but it can be irritating if I focus on it.

Hopefully it will go away, but I'm not counting on that.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

Heres a link to a recent thread where several of us were discussing our tinnitus...

https://www.cymbalta...ll/?hl=tinnitus

#5 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

This is my second time on Cymbalta.  This time I have been taking it since late November 2013.  My regular dose is 60 mg but yesterday I cut it back to 30 mg.  I pray this ear pain, pressure, hyperacusis, and tinnitus is not permanent.

#6 Yanvrno

Yanvrno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I had tinnitus before weaning off cymbalta,but it's much worse now. For all I know, the tinnitus was exacerbated by being on the drug. I hope it diminishes as rest of the symptoms subside. I also have a stuffy full feeling in my ears that's not helping either. This is so fun!

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

My tinnitus is still with me after being off Cymbalta for 2 years. My understanding is that any of the symptoms could persist indefinitely. Hopefully your tinnitus will go away- it's annoying in moments where I'd like silence.

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

I had tinnitus before weaning off cymbalta,but it's much worse now. For all I know, the tinnitus was exacerbated by being on the drug. I hope it diminishes as rest of the symptoms subside. I also have a stuffy full feeling in my ears that's not helping either. This is so fun!

Yanvrno. Tinnitus is a common withdrawal symptom as well as being a symptom of anxiety, and a sign of an inner ear infection. If you feel the fullness in your ears and it doesn't subside within a few days, you should call your physician to have it looked at. It could be wax build up also. Its most like nothing serious, although I know its very frustrating.

Take care and please keep us posted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users