35 replies to this topic

#1 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Today I have felt like there is a huge weight holding me down and I am so tired.  It also feels like my thinking is slowed.  Sort of like I am half drunk or high.  Is this normal and will it go a way?

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

dtg

Yes it's normal and it will go away in time. You kind of have to tie yourself to the metaphorical mast for 6 months while all these symptoms and phantom diseases do their Magic Symptom Show of Deathly Symptoms and Phantom Diseases. Hopefully your show will take less time than that, and hopefully the experience will be not too difficult. Everybody gets their own show, and they're all different-- some have just 3 Acts, and some have 22 Acts.

Read through as many postings as you can on this forum and others. Also, search the internet. Many (perhaps most) articles are sponsored by the pharmaceutical companies, so it helps to take it all with a grain of salt- find out who wrote the article and who paid for it to be written.

Check out what the FDA has to say about Cymbalta.

It's all pretty new (just 10 years since Cymbalta was released in it's role as an antidepressant), so there is virtually no history on what this drug does to our brains over time; we are all inside the experiment. Anecdotal information shows we are able to recover very well from this drug, and thereafter function at a high level. You can get through this, and we can help.

#3 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

dtg - follow the good advice from TM.  I am weaning off Cymbalta and get a lot of brain fog, fuzzy-headedness, trouble concentrating. Watching tv before bed often helps calms my brain down, but often the next morning I can't remember what I've watched!  I may remember what show it was but the plot, no way!  Fatigue has always been a problem for me due to other health problems, but it's gotten much worse since I started weaning down from 20mg.  Many days, I will sleep 12 hrs a night, eat breakfast, sleep some more, eat lunch then try to shower and dress (the shower's always iffy - takes a lot out of me) and by then it's maybe 3:30 in the afternoon!  Bad days I barely move from the couch at all.  I will literally lay in the same position without moving a muscle for an hour or more.   TM - it's encouraging to hear you say it will go away in time!

#4 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

dtg - follow the good advice from TM.  I am weaning off Cymbalta and get a lot of brain fog, fuzzy-headedness, trouble concentrating. Watching tv before bed often helps calms my brain down, but often the next morning I can't remember what I've watched!  I may remember what show it was but the plot, no way!  Fatigue has always been a problem for me due to other health problems, but it's gotten much worse since I started weaning down from 20mg.  Many days, I will sleep 12 hrs a night, eat breakfast, sleep some more, eat lunch then try to shower and dress (the shower's always iffy - takes a lot out of me) and by then it's maybe 3:30 in the afternoon!  Bad days I barely move from the couch at all.  I will literally lay in the same position without moving a muscle for an hour or more.   TM - it's encouraging to hear you say it will go away in time!

Tria you do remind me of spending 3 weeks of my work off vacation time doing exactly as you described

#5 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

ZappAlta - Its good to hear you say that so I know I'm not alone!

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Tria, the first 3 months off, maybe less, there were days I could barely put one foot in front of another.

At least you can sleep it off, anxiety was too stong to sleep here.

Now at 4months plus, improvement 90%.

Still fatigued, but in a normal way

This will pass.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Gail

"Now at 4months plus, improvement 90%."

That's wonderful! Enjoy each and every tiny blossom that emerges in the rock-garden of discontinuation!

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Great news Gail. I am so proud and happy for you.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yipppeeeeeee Gail!

(To borrow a phrase from Carleeta!)

#10 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

thank you all for your replies and support.  I hate medicines.

#11 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Gail

"Now at 4months plus, improvement 90%."

That's wonderful! Enjoy each and every tiny blossom that emerges in the rock-garden of discontinuation!

Like this, Thismoment, tiny blossom. In the fatigue department, it is a huge blossom, most of the time.

But we have to consider that, since childhood, I was a fatigued child. My mom used to say that when I came back from school, I had dark circles around my eyes.

Rock-garden of discontinuation, what a wonderful expression!

I am not home-free yet, got a lot of things that brought me to crapalta, working through it.

And thank god that I live alone, no love relationship, I could not take it. Trauma is still present, that's ok, and as FN once mentionned, I am my favorite hobby!

Thank you, you 3 Wise Ones, I appreciate your words of encouragement. Hello FH.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

Gail 

Is it possible this is benzo fatigue? About 10% of those who take benzos develop benzo fatigue. Just thinking.

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

FH...

Thank you for that bit of wisdom - I didn't know about this.  I am still taking the Alprazolam and am tired all the time!   Think you might have given me my answer - thank you :) 

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi Gail

I'm glad it's working out for you! 

Love is one of those abstract words that means so much to us, but everybody is afraid to define it when they say it.

I am my favourite hobby!  I like that!

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

But TFL, can you come off the benzo right now?

#16 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

My anxiety has come down and I am now taking only 1 mg/day instead of the 2mg when the anxiety was full-blown.  So far, I have needed it to get to sleep - that still suffers, unfortunately. 

I don't know about getting off of it entirely - I have been taking it every day for more than 6 months now and somehow feel that I will need to keep up with it until after this ungodly trip for my son's wedding! :(  I am so looking forward to this whole thing being over...

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

You will know when it is time to stop it. That is a low dose so it shouldn't be too bad, Good luck on your son's wedding. Remember, you are just a spectator. Take it easy on yourself.

#18 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

TFL

If you are taking the Alprazolam before bed you might be caught in the 'hangover' until 2 or so the next day. If that's the case, can you try taking it earlier?

Your upcoming trip is giving you the willies. You can resist it and be miserable, or you can try a new tactic and maybe have a little fun too! Go there and be the most helpful, the most compassionate, the most willing-to-just-listen, generous, non-judging, and accepting person you can be! Offer to serve, offer to take on an extra duty, offer your shoulder! Liz, don't resist what you can't avoid.

#19 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

FH and TM....

Thank you both so much - Yes, this upcoming trip is really weighing on me...  the distance, time away - all upsetting!  I know I must try to make this a positive since I love my son and his fiancé...

I will be seeing my therapist 3 times before I leave (Aug 2) and I'm sure I can get through this!

Thank you again - both of you - I appreciate your kind words.

Liz

#20 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey, how 'bout you shave your head, get a huge dragon tattoo on your scalp, a nose piercing and turn up wearing a thong bikini and thigh high black leather stiletto boots...

Or, just think about doing it..... that's what I'd do, every time I started to stress out ...just think "shaved head, dragon scalp tattoo" ....

:-D

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

OH FM.....Are you back to drinking again?

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

LOL...FN

That is too funny!  (I must admit to having a tiny blue stone in my nose, however -yes, I really do!)  Just picturing that is enough to throw me into hysterical fits!! :lol:  You are one funny gal!

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Nah, no alcohol involved, FH... this is the no booze, no Cymbalta me.... I had zero humor during the crapalta years... this is the real me...

Scary, huh?

(tee hee)

but I was on the right track ... because we now have TFL admitting to having a nose piercing... I think she's a "closet wild child" .... :-)

#24 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Just for the record - the little blue stone is on the side of my nose and isn't noticeable unless the light hits it just right...

Also, I may as well confess - I also have 4 small paw prints tattooed on the top of my left foot.  I had surgery on that foot twice and the surgeon was very careful to not disrupt the one tattoo she had to cut through!  And both of these "wild child" things I had done when in my 60's - second childhood, I guess!   Making up for lost time  :D

Now you know - it is no wonder that I am in therapy! :blink:

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

That is just sooo cool, TFL! I've always wanted one of those tiny little nose piercings...and I've lately been thinking about a tattoo... just want to do something kind of nuts to celebrate feeling alive again....

Maybe that'll be my birthday present to myself for making it to "61" later this month!

#26 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

I'm thinking about a tattoo too.

#27 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Ok, you two - DO IT!   You'll be so proud of yourselves for indulging in something that will be fun for you - it needn't be a whole arm thing - just a small one to make you feel good!

Do it for YOU! :D  

#28 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Yes tattoo and shaved heads!

Liz, nose pearcing, awesome. Had one done, my daughter insisted, took it out to clean it and could never put it back.

Dolphin tattoo on right ankle done at 43, never regretted it.

As for head shaving, every may, I shave it to 3 millimeters till august. Every 10 days. I have a perfectly shaped head for it. I said head, not mind.

Agree with Liz, do it as a reminder, do it for fun, just a small one. I would suggest at the ankle.

#29 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Gail 

Is it possible this is benzo fatigue? About 10% of those who take benzos develop benzo fatigue. Just thinking.

Hello Fh, I would doubt this. I dont think the amount is high enough. But who knows, just know it is going much better

Slowly weaning, very slowly. started at 25mg valium, waited to be stable at 22.5 for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Down to 21.5 in the last days.

I also take in consideration that at 61, the energy is not what it was 10 years ago.

#30 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

My anxiety has come down and I am now taking only 1 mg/day instead of the 2mg when the anxiety was full-blown.  So far, I have needed it to get to sleep - that still suffers, unfortunately. 

I don't know about getting off of it entirely - I have been taking it every day for more than 6 months now and somehow feel that I will need to keep up with it until after this ungodly trip for my son's wedding! :(  I am so looking forward to this whole thing being over...

Hello Liz, just a thought here,

You said you had stopped the trazodone for sleep, I think ct.

Could that play a role in the anxiety thing and the trouble with the sleep?

I know that 50mg trazodone is a low dose, also remember the pharmacist saying to lower the dose gradually.

If I remember right, difficulties began around that time for you. Adding the stress of the wedding to it.

What are your thoughts about this?

Much love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users