Photo

Been On 60Mg For 3 Months And Want To Discontinue, Advice?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer23

jennifer23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hello all - new to the forum.

My doctor put me on 60mg of Cymbalta almost 3 months ago (started first week at 30mg) for trigeminal neuralgia pain and anxiety.  It has not really helped that much for the pain and has helped some with anxiety I will admit, but the side effects are getting worse and I'd like to try to get off of it sooner rather than later.

I see that you all recommend the bead counting.  If you do the bead counting method do you stay on the same milligram pill the whole time as you take beads out or at some point do you change to a lower milligram?  seems like it would be hard to decipher how much were taking if you switched milligrams.  

Also was wondering if since I've only been on it a short period of time, if I could go faster with the dosing down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jennifer

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

First of all....3 months it is at full strength.

As far as bead counting, it is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it. During this process we really aren't concerned what mg dose we are at. Only that we are regulating the dose downward slowly enough to help control the withdrawal.

#3 jennifer23

jennifer23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

Ok gotcha.  But I should use the 60mg capsules for the entirety of the withdrawal process right?  

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

Correct!!Best of luck!!

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hi Jennifer! Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found us!

I'm almost 8 months off the stuff... quit cold turkey last December, after 10 years on 60 mg / day .... I would not suggest/recommend cold turkey to anyone ... well, maybe to the docs who put me on it and kept me on it ... I would like them to know how hard it can be to get off it, esp. cold turkey ... but not to anyone else ;-)

Definitely FH is right about the bead counting method ... and allowing yourself lots of time to reduce the beads... you may be one of the lucky ones who has minimal trouble quitting, in which case you'll be able to increase the number of beads you remove each time ... but if not, you can just take it easy and let you brain and body adjust at their own natural pace...

Please keep posting, and let us know how you're doing... we'll do everything we can to help you!

#6 MichB

MichB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I agree with FN and FH. They know exactly what they're talking about. Take their advice. It's NOT an easy process.

First of all, I started on 30mg in Feb. Went up to 60mg twice a day the first part of April. By the end of May I was feeling real sick.

I basically went cold turkey beginning the last week of May from 120mg to 60mg a day. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. However, I didn't realize that I was switched from the brand name to the generic (stupid on my part). Make sure you stay on one or the other! That's my advice.
I stayed on 60mg for a little over 5 weeks. I recently began the bead counting.
I am on generic 60's, manufacturer is CITRON. I opened my capsules and found that there is a differing amount of beads in each capsule. Mine range from 365 to 378 beads approx each.

Are you on the brand name or generic?

If you are on generic I suggest you open them and count about 5-6 of them to see if there is a consistent amount of beads in them. If not, you will probably have to average the amount and make sure each cap has the same amount when you begin the bead counting process. You may be lucky and not have to do this. It appears I'm the only one that has had this experience.

I subtracted mine to 350 beads per capsule and I'm holding at this amount only because I'm experiencing a lot of nausea and I have to work every day. Ginger root supplement is helping me a lot with that. I also have a bead counter. You can get one in a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's for about $10. And watch those suckers!! They bounce all over the place.

If I'm giving you bad advice, as I'm new here, FH or FN will surely let you know!

Welcome! These guys here are wonderful. Go nice and steady and holler if you need anything!!

Take care,
Mich
Hugs 😘

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users