#1 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Most of my days are focused on the positive. There are many days where the negatives just pop up out of nowhere. One negative which bothers me is how no one truly understands Cymbalta withdrawal. Some symptoms are going to stay around for a long time and for me its been anxiety.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'm with you there, Carleeta! 

Yet, you took a 3 week trip and made it an enjoyable experience!  I am hoping that I will do as well with the almost 2 weeks that I will be gone starting Aug. 2.  I no longer have an anxiety attack when thinking about it - just can't wait until it's over!

It's so great to have you back with us - take care!

Hugs,

Liz :hug:

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

i agree. anxiety is the toughest by far for me. i'd swap it for all the physical symptoms, even depression itself. i've been drowning for the past several days and feel that i may be heading back up to the surface - i sure need some air! i am curious, how do others deal with it? my top coping skill for anxiety is physical exercise. i gotta force myself to get off my @$$, but when i do i am very glad i did. great anxiety reducer. when i just don't have it in me i gotta distract myself from it mentally. silly tv shows are great. that's how i've been doing it the past several days. last night i watched "the dome" - my guilty pleasure. i don't "work" right now so i have to find my own self motivation which is tough for me. i spent today learning new software. i was very engrossed and the distraction worked for awhile, but then i got frustrated with some things that weren't working for me and instead of walking away and taking a break i blew up at myself. i'm over it now. whew! tomorrow i will ride the bike to town. i hope it works.

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

TryinginFl. Yes, I did go away for 3 weeks overseas, although I had high anxiety. First I went with other family members (which is a safe feeling)second, through all my fear I kept telling myself "whats the worse that can happen, and if its my time, its my time. Also, I had a few glasses of wine on the plane which of course helps also.. I was still scared, anxious, and doubtful.
You will make your trip and you might be a bit fearful and you will find you have just accomplished something you thought you couldn't ever do again. :)

Brzghoff.. I don't know how many people get through anxiety. Also I don't know if everyone truly does get over it. What I do know is people learn to live with it where it doesn't affect your everyday life. Exercise is number one key for anxiety and almost every medical issue. What I do for anxiety is "whatever works". I see you are doing the same. I also see a familiarity with you and I and that is one major cause for anxiety and that is being a perfectionist.. I cant seem to walk away from things, although I have learned to walk away from something that will not make a difference in my life 10 years from now. That has reduced my anxiety from once being an agoraphobic. I still need to lesson up on my perfectionism...Ride that bike and enjoy.. :)

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

To all members on this forum. I cannot take all credit for this thread...It was FiveNotions who made a comment to me in the positive posts on how there should be a negative thread due to the negatives which we encounter when doing something positive or just living our daily lives....Great thanks out to FiveNotions

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

After posting my positives for the day. I need to include the negatives of my day. I was totally convinced negatively that when I got into my car the post office was going to be packed and I would be standing in this line which I wasn't going to handle very well. My anxiety was so high while I was driving and today there were crazy people driving on the roads. Someone parked behind me when I parked in a legal parking space. I was not happy when I came out of the post office. Having the maneuver my car this way and that way and mind you I have a SUV which is not small. I was so aggravated. Then the drive home was even more stressful when cars were just cutting out in front of others cars which made me slam on my brakes.. Geez, I really did not need this today. I made it home safely, thank god, although I was very nervous. I also forgot to go and get my mail and Im just trying to relax before doing so.

Expressing my negatives is just as good as expressing my positives. This has helped me release some anxiety.... :)

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

IMHO what is important here on this forum is that we can post the good, bad or the ugly and NOT be judged. Ppl here on the Cymbalta forum understand what it is that we are ALL going through. The are either stating this journey, thinking of starting it, on their way to hell (and back) and have made it out the other side. I  will be thankful always that I found this forum when I realized that to go COLD turkey was not the way for me. M hat is off to the ones who do this! I wish the best for everyone here and it's so good to see the same ppl here.. I know that some come and go. Move on after their journey is done. But I plan to check in as often as I can and if a can help someone just a wee bit thru this Cymbalta hell. Well then it will have been so worth it! God bless all of you here for the good that you do for others! TheEquusWoman..

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Equuswoman, You have made such important points here. Its all about just being who you are at the present time. The good, the bad, and the ugly. We all have been through so much and most of this journey was not good. If it wasn't for the wonderful members, who are dedicated, willing, loving, educated, mindful, and sharing most sufferers of withdrawal would still be lost out at sea. You have been through it wall and back again. We are very lucky you are still with us to share your experiences with all those who are wondering whats its like on the other side of this journey. You have made it through the other side and we know how challenging this was for you. You are still with us and living proof this can be done.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Negatives of the day, full blown anxiety for a few hours. Benadryl helped a lot, while waiting for clonidine.

And spending 3 hours listening to a client that was going bla bla bla . I usually enjoy this client but today was too much.

Am I ever glad that I am home with no one to bla bla bla.

#10 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

IMHO what is important here on this forum is that we can post the good, bad or the ugly and NOT be judged. Ppl here on the Cymbalta forum understand what it is that we are ALL going through. The are either stating this journey, thinking of starting it, on their way to hell (and back) and have made it out the other side. I  will be thankful always that I found this forum when I realized that to go COLD turkey was not the way for me. M hat is off to the ones who do this! I wish the best for everyone here and it's so good to see the same ppl here.. I know that some come and go. Move on after their journey is done. But I plan to check in as often as I can and if a can help someone just a wee bit thru this Cymbalta hell. Well then it will have been so worth it! God bless all of you here for the good that you do for others! TheEquusWoman..

I'm out of likes, but I like this Equuswoman .. It's imperative for new members to have some hope & if members don't come back with their stories , including the negatives than the new desperate people have no incentive or hope .
I do believe that the negatives need to be discussed otherwise we all think that everyone else is doing well & we're not ... That can be deprimental to our recovery ... We need to know we're not alone if we're still suffering ...lol

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Negatives of the day, full blown anxiety for a few hours. Benadryl helped a lot, while waiting for clonidine.

And spending 3 hours listening to a client that was going bla bla bla . I usually enjoy this client but today was too much.

Am I ever glad that I am home with no one to bla bla bla. Gail, One of those nerve racking full blown anxiety days..Ughhh! Especially when dealing with clients and how they drain all the positive energy out of us. Now that you are home take a few minuites (or more) for yourself to recharge...Go outside and sit in the warm weather, draw yourself a warm bath, make a glass of ice tea, or something refreshing to you, or anything which will make you feel refreshed. For me, I grow my own fresh mint and chew on some of it, or infuse it in a cold picture of water and drink a ice cold glass full. One thing about anxiety, is the negativity in our minds..try releasing that negativity with something positive and keep up with the positive. It could be anything which seems to bring a smile to your face and heart. Even if it's just a nap.. Good luck

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

I do believe that the negatives need to be discussed otherwise we all think that everyone else is doing well & we're not ... That can be deprimental to our recovery ... We need to know we're not alone if we're still suffering ...lol

Wagtail, really like this. 

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

.try releasing that negativity with something positive and keep up with the positive. It could be anything which seems to bring a smile to your face and heart. Even if it's just a nap.. Good luck

Thanks Carleeta, anything that brings a smile to my face and heart, I like that.

Going on my balcony right now, and think about this. You did touch a nerve here, many thanks.

#14 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Wagtail
Any better ?

#15 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hi Jones, thanks for asking ... On a scale of 1 / 10 ..... Ten being unbearable ( yesterday ) today is a 8 but I think only because I took extra Valium ..
Have a doctor apt this afternoon & going to request blood tests , haven't had any done since I quit the Cymbalta 8 months ago & just want to be sure there isn't anything else going on .
I know thyroid problems can cause anxiety ... Ha ha yes I'm almost hoping I have some illness that will explain this debilitating fear.

How are you traveling ATM ...?..xx

#16 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

8 better than 11. Going in the right direction. D

I still do the crying thing, and the oh my god I can't do this anymore thing, but on the whole I am feeling better.

Found this

“E.L. Doctorow said once said that 'Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.' You don't have to see where you're going, you don't have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way. You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you. This is right up there with the best advice on writing, or life, I have ever heard.

Anne lamott

#17 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Woke up this morning with a headache and neck ache.  Wow haven't experience one of those in a very long time.  Needed to take some advil to get this headache under some sort of control.  Almost thought this headache was going to be a whole day thing.  Lets hope it's on it way out now.... :(

#18 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'm sorry wagtail.
I know the 8 is still horrible. Did not mean to diminish it.

#19 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm very upset at this moment and feeling a bit angry upon listening to CNN and how another Malaysia plane has gone down. My body is feeling shaky just thinking about these poor people on this plane and their families. Ughhh! I'm angry! They need to find out if it crashed or was it shot down...

#20 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Take care not to let it "get into" you, Carleeta....

I've had to put myself back on a virtually complete "news blackout" ... I just saw this headline, but I'm not going to let myself get lured back into the obsessive news reading I was doing ... I don't have tee vee ... haven't watched it in several years ... but I've always been a news junkie, via the internet ... international news sources especially ... since I've been off crapalta I've had to keep a constant watch on myself ... because the news is mostly so bad and depressing that it just eats into me ...

I'm trying to become one of the "Low-Info" folks ... it's hard, but it helps keep my anxiety down...

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Right on FN. There is enough stress in  our lives without adding more.

#22 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Oh, I won't let it get into me. Just posting a negative emotion I had today on this thread. Being a optimistic person and about 95% positive, I like others to know there will be negative emotions felt during the day, and that's ok to share them and post them. :)

#23 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

I need to share my recent horror after having dropped from 30 mg to 20 on Monday...it wasn't until today the zaps started and when I drove to the doc today I felt visual and sensory disturbances...almost like watching a video game...I am not safe to drive far from home...the doc said it won't last as long this time...right.

What's scarier is my brain is like Swiss cheese...I can't think at all...I'll start a thought then can't finish it...Anyone else have this side effect? I'm pretty petrified that u have brain damage which the doc denies.

So I keep a logbook in Excel to track my symptoms...one positive I have to mention is I'm no longer going into fits of rage since lowering my dose.

#24 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

ittybittysmitty..The brain zaps are very scary when first experiencing them. Is this the first time you have experienced them? Some people are able to handle the zaps once they know what they are. Others on the other hand have difficulty and experience them on a more pronounced level where it interferes with their daily living. They eventually should stop, although when is undetermined depending on each individual.

Please do not drive if you are experiencing visual and sensory disturbances. If these continue often and seem to be getting worse or there is no change, please let your physician know.

Memory issues like alertness and concentration are very common symptoms through Cymbalta withdrawal. How this is affecting your brain does very from individual to individual.

Please keep us posted. There should be other members popping in soon to give or share their expertise, and experiences with you.

Take care...

#25 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Right on FN. There is enough stress in  our lives without adding more.

I'm super sensitive to anything negative since coming off Cymbalta , things can stick in my brain for hours & the overload of bad STUFF is overpowering .
I do use the TV for distraction but carefully chose shows that will settle me if possible .
Way too much negativity in the world ATM ..

#26 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

My negative for the day , which was yesterday here.
I had my appointment with my local GP to get a referral for a blood test & a repeat for my Valium .
We discussed my recent reoccurrence of debilitating anxiety , & to make a long story shorter ...

He told me that I have to work harder to help myself !!!!!!!!!! ????????. Read more books ..... Don't worry about the worrying thoughts , Don't fear dying etc etc...
This is a new doctor I have been seeing since moving to my new home , he has no idea of the many many books I've read or the classes I've attended to learn coping teqniques ..
The guilt trip about using the Valium .... I felt so much worse after seeing him .. He made me feel like this is all my thought & just mind over matter ....OMG
THEY CAN PUT MEN ON THE MOON BUT CANT CURE ANXIETY ?....
Yes I am upset ...

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

Well, at least he doesn't sound/seem like a doc who's just a pill-pusher ... and he does have a point about us having to do the work ourselves ... as in your Sensorimotor psychotherapy, Wagtail ... that's right, there's no magic cure for anxiety ...yes, it's a bummer, but we have to do the work ourselves, with the help of our therapists.... at least, the blessed few like you who have a good therapist who uses this approach...

Did you tell this doc about this therapy technique, and that your therapist wants you on the valium so you can get and stay stable enuf to do the therapy?

Did you show him any of the articles your therapist "assigned" you to read? He might benefit from knowing more about this stuff...

Looks like you're going to be giving him a whole new education! (For which he should pay you, not the other way around ) :-)

#28 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Wagtail, In addition to what FiveNotions stated; Medical Doctors and Therapists(psychology field) often do not agree on diagnosis. One looks at it from a medical point of view and the other looks at it from a psychological point of view. Although, your medical physician should be informed by you concerning all med, and others doctors you are seeing. A good medical physician will ask and jot down everything you told him in his office if its related to your physical and mental health. As a matter of fact, my doctor, psychiatrist, and psychologist all work together and have each others notes. In NYS on the psychiatrist is allowed to write prescriptions and not psychologists.. I only see the psychiatrist once every three months and work with my psychologist every other week or every third week. He works well with me..as your therapist will work well with you.

#29 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post. I usually try to keep upbeat, but this is my second time trying to get off Cymbalta and I genuinely cannot believe how much discomfort I am suffering. Hence, I'm starting off with the negatives. Please forgive the rant:

I am 59 years old and permanently disabled by advanced arthritis secondary to the genetic condition Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. When I stopped working 11 years ago, my GP said I would become depressed, sent me to a psychiatrist, and I've had my formerly very functional brain screwed with ever since. I've been taking Cymbalta for about ten years, went as high as 120mg plus Abilify daily and several years ago shot into metabolic syndrome: elevated fasting glucose, elevated hemoglobin A1c, high cholesterol and triglycerides, 20+ lb weight gain. I stopped the Abilify and tapered to 20mg Cymbalta; all of the problems reversed and I don't recall horrible withdrawal symptoms. I felt crummy, though, trying to go lower than 20mg, so two of my docs recommended staying on 30 mg Cymbalta. Eventually my psychiatrist took me back up to 60mg, where I stayed until now.

I started to notice that I was sweating heavily without exertion about a year ago and thought is was some residual hot flashes (I'm post-menopausal). It was embarrassing, mostly. Who wants to have to carry a towel around to sop up streams of sweat? I suffer from vertigo and assumed that explained dizziness, etc that I also experienced.

Then, at the start of 2014, the generic for Cymbalta, duloxetine, was approved and I started taking it. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!
On several occasions, my brain felt so foggy and confused, and I was so dizzy, that I thought I was having a stroke! Friends insisted on driving me home from a gathering I forced myself to attend because I was afraid I might die at home, alone. The sweating became even more ridiculous. I started a round of seeing my rheumatologist (could this be Fibromyalgia?), my gynecologist (Is there such a thing as second menopause?) my GP (does my blood work show anything?) and of course, my psychiatrist. Finally, my psych and I realized my increased complaints coincided with when I started taking the generic duloxetine!

I am HORRIFIED, to put it mildly, that this drug has such profound and wide-spread effects. Heck, I don't think I was depressed in the first place, I'm still not depressed 10 years later, and at all costs I WANT OFF THIS DRUG!

Now for the real fun: I had tapered from 120mg to 20mg several years ago by alternating higher and lower doses, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. For example, 60mg one day, 30 mg the next, slowly replacing the 60mg with 30mg. It worked for me before, so I happily started doing the same thing, using my 60mg generic plus a new Rx for 30 mg name brand Cymbalta.
I don't know why, but I simply cannot swing that widely in dose this time around. I have wondered if taking the generic for six months has somehow rendered me over- sensitive to duloxetine?

Thankfully, I have a science background, having led drug development programs in the biotechnology industry for twenty-some years. I went to the literature (and internet, of course) and at first thought I might be experiencing Serotonin Syndrome, a condition of excess serotonin. I learned that benzodiazepines are useful to treat the autonomic symptoms (e.g. Excessive sweating); I took 1mg lorazepam (Ativan) and within 30 minutes, the sweating stopped! I was thrilled, but it is ridiculous to have to take another addictive drug to manage the symptoms caused by one.

But there are SO MANY side effects a benzodiazepine doesn't help, even if I were willing to take one:
- Variable blurry vision (bad some days, okay others); "hallucinations" in peripheral vision
- Some days, just moving my head or eyes is disastrous; all I can do is stay in bed
- Frequent headaches
- Short term memory problems (can be VERY severe)
- Much of the time, I'm confused, not knowing the day or date without thinking hard about it
- Increased apathy, not taking enjoyment from people and things I love
- Poor personal hygiene (ick!)
- Alternate between insomnia and excessive somnolence
- Feelings of electrical zaps in my extremities, can't sit still or sleep
- Exhaustion, even after reasonable sleep
- Nausea and vomiting, diarrhea

I don't know if I experience what others are describing as brain "zaps", but the fogginess and problems with vision or moving my eyes or head, along with "hallucinations" at times may fit the bill.

This forum is one of the most positive things I've found. I've learned a lot from all of your posts and it really does help to hear others' experiences. I saw my psych yesterday and he is supportive of me using the Bead Counting approach to weaning off. I've been learning what amount of dose reduction is most tolerable for me. It is amazing to me that I can feel every reduction and it takes a couple of days to stabilize. Right now, I'm taking a total of 45mg and it feels as if I'm going to be counting beads for the rest of my life! Some days I can't stand how long it's taking and attempt to take out a few more beads than I should. I'm learning the price is too high in terms of days lost to side effects, so am trying to be more patient...

I understand Cymbalta's relatively short half-life may contribute to the instability I'm experiencing, and my doc agreed it might be a good idea to take a low dose of an older SSRI with a long half-life while I am tapering off. I'm picking up a Rx for 10 mg Prozac today and will let you know how that goes. Then, I guess, I get to taper off the Prozac once I finish with Cymbalta. Oh, goody.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I promise not to be so wordy all the time. I guess I just had a lot to get off my chest.

One final thought: the FDA is fully aware of these problems with Cymbalta withdrawal, as is Lilly, the original manufacturer. Is there an organized patient group communicating with either entity?

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the site Cinders. It looks like you have developed a good plan going forward and it looks like you have already found out that the secret to the game is patience. Slow but steady.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users