7 replies to this topic

#1 goldensilence

goldensilence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Hello all.

This is my first post.  I've spent a considerable amount of time reading what you all have to say.  You seem to have a genuine sense of community and concern for others attempting to live a better life.

I have been on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 - 3 years @ 6o mg once a day.  Approximately two yeas ago I asked my GP to decrease my dosage to 30 mg, once a day.  After about 5 days I had an emotional breakdown and thought 'it is easier to keep taking the higher dose.'  Now that some of the circumstantial stressors are out of my life I want to have another go at being free of this crap. So, I'm bead counting. I'm on day 3 and taking 3 or 4 beads out a day.  I've noticed that I am SO TIRED. Is this normal when beginning to taper off?  Also, just how do you count the beads, especially when you have to count out hundreds???  Is there a preferred method that you successful bead-counters use?  Thank you SO much for this site and the information freely shared!!!

#2 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta has been a nightmare, I need some answers and shared experiences.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi GoldenSilence

welcome. Totally normal to feel tired when you commence tapering - you will probably find yourself grappling with fatigue throughout your weaning process and then for some time into your discontinuation. ( Im at week 8 of discontinuation and only just now finding my energy levels coming back to normal. )

Re: bead couting -  I used a visual method whereby I cleanly divided the beads into piles of uniform size using a razor blade to move the beads together, they like to clump (not terribly acurate I suppose, but it worked for me)..and then decanting the beads into blank gelatin capsules.

best of luck for you process - it's not easy, but I think the consensus seems to be that it's worh it.

:)

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

goldensilence

Welcome!

If your GP dropped you from 60 to 30 without tapering off, it's a cold-turkey move made by a turkey-- the GP should have known better. I can understand how this can spook you, but don't worry, you can do this and we can help.

Another Mind is correct about the energy returning after a couple of months of weaning. 

You can try using a mirror and a razor blade to separate the beads the same way you would to make lines of coke (that's a dope joke lol). However, the mirror can make the beads sort of fly-away; they react wildly to static electricity. Get a very fine piece of dark material- preferably something organic like cotton or merino wool- and stretch it over a section of the table with weights on the edges. Use an un-serrated butter knife to count out the beads. You can pick up several beads at once by pressing your fingertip on them- the beads will temporarily adhere.

I like your name goldensilence. I went to see Jersey Boys tonight. Factoid: The song Silence is Golden was co-written by Bob Gaudio of the Four Seasons, with Bob Crewe. It was the B-side to the hit song Rag Doll, also written by Bob Gaudio in 1964. It was later covered by the British group The Tremolos who made it into a big hit.

#4 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Welcome, goldensilence! You sure have come to a great group of folks who love, support, share much needed info and experiences with one another! So glad you joined in! Feel free to come here for whatever you need to. Others will join in soon! All my best to you!!!

#5 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Welcome aboard!  I really like it here and I'm sure you'll find tons of support, information and chuckles ... yes, there are "knowing" senses of humor here and it helps.

:D

#6 goldensilence

goldensilence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thank you all for the great advice.  I have some trepidation especially regarding potential side effects but so glad you all are here!!

#7 butterfly854

butterfly854

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

Hi GS,

I too am new here and have gained quite a bit of knowledge from the forums. It's true, this seems a great place for support. Friends and family just dont get it. I've just started tapering on my own. My doctor also tried to switch me from 60 to 30. I'm lucky I found this forum before I started am will taper down much slower. I'm bummed when I read about long term effects even after total discontinue of the med. I am hoping eventually I will get my energy back and drop some weight Good luck to you! .

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

butterfly

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the best you can do is taper off very slowly, listening to your body as you go. Pause when symptoms appear, and when symptoms calm down, re-start the reducing. Your brain is struggling to repair physical alterations made by the drug, and it's doing it by trial-and-error; don't rush it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users