5 replies to this topic

#1 Londongirl14

Londongirl14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi everyone,
Im way too anxious right now to search through everyones posts and topics. (I know that sounds really rude but i would call it more desperate).
Iv been weaning off for 3 weeks.
Went from 120mg to 30 and this week im not on anything and i feel
Like i want to die.
Been getting the worst cluster headaches,
Feel like i can feel every
Movement in my brain and im also getting these
Minor minor blackouts. I dont even feel too comfortbale driving.oh and also THE wierdest
Most horrific terrifying dreams at night.
How long will all this last? Im supposed to go in 5 days to my GP to start a diff med but contemplating going tomorrow. Is this all normal? HELP!!!

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi Londongirl, welcome, I'm really glad you found us!

It sounds like you've dropped your doses far too rapidly from 120 mg to 30 mg to zero ... in just 3 weeks ... if this is how your doc told you to do it, he/she is a jackass .... you've put your brain and body into hard, cold turkey withdrawal (discontinuation).

Does your doc know you're having these problems? Also, how many days ago did you stop taking Cymbalta completely, how long were you on the 120 mg, and for what condition? Are you taking any other meds, and if so, for what conditions? (This info will help us help you with what you're doing....)

I know a lot about cold turkey, because it's how I quit... if I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it that way, and I don't recommend it to you.

The better/best way to quit is to reinstate at the last dose at which you were stable, get settled in at that dose and then begin tapering slowly, over several months (or even longer)... using the bead counting method... that's where you open up the capsule and remove a bead, or two or three... every day or few days ... depending on how much your body seems to be able to handle ... others here have used that method and can give you more and better information ...

In addition, if it's another of the ssri's that your doc is planning to start you on, as I understand it, they all take a certain amount of time (weeks) to ramp up in a person's system, so starting the new ssri isn't going to put a stop to the withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms you're experiencing from quitting the Cymbalta.

Do you have anything on hand, like a benzo, to help you with the anxiety and to settle down?

Hang in there ... we'll do everything we can to help you! 

#3 air3333

air3333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Cymbalta is a hardcore drug It took me 2 months to go from 90 to 30. I don't feel not as half as bad as you because went too quickly.

It is smart not to go too fast but there are reasons especially if someone is trying to get pregnant etc. 

The stuff that you having is normal for this drug. I think of it similarly to heroin or cocaine withdrawal. Have to give yourself time. 

Nobody knows for sure, but the drug could have a negative effect on your anxiety even when you stop months after. You have to take steps to deal with the withdrawal. Doctors are going to tell you one thing or another, but you have to trust yourself when you think they are wrong. Anxiety is a normal human emotion and have to let it go. 

You are dealing with hardcore withdrawal and the best thing to do is to increase the dose to 90mg and then try tapering more slowly every month. I think anyone would have those effects with the withdrawal of cymbalta from 120 to 30 mg. 

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Both people are right. Your dr is an idiot. A cold turkey withdrawal last 2 to 3 months before there is any significant improvement and 5 or 6 months before you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. If your dr prescribes something else for you (Prozac, Lexapro or Zoloft) they are in the same family but not as strong. If he proscribes Celexa, Effexor or Paxil they are in the same family and just as strong AND all of these take several weeks to kick in. The best of luck to you and please let us know what happens.

#5 Londongirl14

Londongirl14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for all your replies.
Quiky reply as its midnite here.
My 2 kids are at school/childminder everyday while i work but have had to take off the last few days due to how iv been feig.
My awesome husband is taking the day off work tomorrow to get me to my GP.
Thank you all for your support i will let
You know how it goes tomorrow!

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Londongirl, taking time off from work is an excellent idea ... would it be possible for you to take a longer  period of time off... using sick or vacation time, or even a leave of absence? It would make it so much easier for you to get through the hardest parts of this process, when our brains/bodies really need quiet and rest, with as little stress and outside stimulation as possible ...

Glad to hear that your husband is supportive of what you're doing... that's really important!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes with your doc....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users