Photo

Thinking About Going Back On The Pill...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RoseDiverona

RoseDiverona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Okay, so here's my situation:

I was on Cymbalta for a year for depression. I started at 60 mg, but went up to 90 before long. I was also put on 150 XL of Wellbutrin. Never had any negative side-effects. Mid-May of this year, I felt so good I decided I wanted to get off the Cymbalta. My doctor decided to have me wean from 90 mg to 60 for one month, 60 to 30 for one month, and then off. After reading everything on here, sounds like this was not a great idea!

I didn't have any problems going from 90 to 60 or from 60 to 30. Then last Tuesday I went off completely, and it's been hell. I'm constantly nauseous with heat flashes and stomach cramps, and I just feel really weak. I talked to my doctor and she suggested I try doing 30 mg every other day for awhile, which is another thing most people on here seem to think is a bad idea? 

The problem is that I'm supposed to leave for vacation in two days, and I've been looking forward to this for so long! I'm so upset to think I will be unable to enjoy the trip because of this withdrawal. Bonus problem, it's a cruise, and I'm so nauseous already that just the thought of being on the open sea is making me feel worse!

I understand this is probably not advisable, but if I were to go back on the 30 mg of Cymbalta, how quickly do you think it would take for the withdrawal symptoms to go away? Has anyone done this before? I'm determined to enjoy my trip and if I have to restart withdrawal afterwards, so be it...

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Welcome RoseDiverona,

When you say last tuesday, do you mean 2 days ago? if so, I say, reinstate the 30 daily, like right now.

As to how quickly, I could say not long. A cruise? my goodness, wrong timing, but you did not know.

No expert here, but I am sure that FN or FH ot TM will be in shortly to answer you.

I am positive that they will suggest getting right back on the 30mg. You cannot, sorry here, go on that cruise without reinstating.

Geez, I hate this situation, so sorry for you.

Keep your eyes on the answers to come, they will.

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Gail is right.

You are a perfect candidate to go back on the 30 and stay there until you are able to withdraw in peace.

Because you just quit last week the 30 should be fine to start now. It might take a couple of weeks to feel normal, but things will pick up pretty quick after you start them.

If you'd been off a month or two, it's probably best to wean back on rather than jumping back on at the full dosage.

Just do it, enjoy your trip and we'll talk to when you're ready to wean off.

Take care.

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Welcome RD...

So happy you found all of us!  PLEASE go back on your 30 mg if that was where you were stable - and I hope that is was just this past Tuesday.  It won't take long to feel better if this is the case.

Granted, the timing here is not great, but hopefully you will be feeling a little better each day... 

Please do not try any more weaning while on your cruise.  Try to enjoy yourself and don't worry about the Crapalta until you get back.   There is plenty of time for you to start bead counting at that time.

Best of luck and Bon Voyage!

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Welcome RD. Too bad about the bad timing but ThisMoment has got it right. Get back on 30 right away. Once you get stabilized and the cruise is over then you can bead count and come off slower. Is there enough time for you to pick up a prescription of clonidine or such to help you out on the cruise?

Keep us posted.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Also, get something for sea sickness/motion sickness ... as you said, you do not want to get sea sick on top of Cymbalta sick ...

And welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on how you're feeling between now and when you leave for the cruise, and check in when you get back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users