12 replies to this topic

#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

That voice in your head is present in every waking hour, and perhaps the only escape to be found is in deep sleep. The content and tone of that voice surely reflects our mind state: it gives us insight into our mental stew by showing us what's floated to the top of the mixture. It's often critical and judgemental; it may replay scenes from the past where the storyline and the ending are re-written. These vignettes are often projected into the future where you encounter the same characters and the story is re-played but the storyline is slightly different; often you will win in the future where you had lost in the past. And that mental story is replayed over and over all day, and all the next day, and the next.

Mind state is a product of your past, both the distant and the near past: you are the very leading edge of all you've encountered; your experience (your history), is you. Because the content and tone of the inner voice is reflective of mind state, it ought to be utilized as a resource in therapy, but alas it's not- therapists seek simply to shut it up, to anaesthetize it with benzodiazepines and hypnotics.

When we are taking psychiatric drugs and especially in discontinuation, the inner voice changes. The volume goes up, the pitch seems to modulate higher, and the flow-rate takes on an amphetamine staccato chatter! But the big change is in content! "What the hell was that? Where did that come from? Oh my God, I can't believe I had that stuff in my head! The thoughts seem to have taken over- I can't control my thoughts!"

It's the first time most of us have encountered anything like this, and it's the first time we've been forced to think about it. 

Do I control my thoughts-- I mean normally-- do I control my thoughts?

Do I control my thoughts or do they just appear in my head? If I control my thoughts, wouldn't that mean I think them before I think them? Okay that doesn't seem to be what's happening. The truth appears to be that thoughts just rise out of my brain and emerge into consciousness. The content of the thoughts usually relates to what's happening in the moment- but not always! Sometimes a thought comes right off the wall or out of left field or out-of-the-blue or out of nowhere! Do we author these or any of our thoughts? I mean ever? I don't think so.

Of course within discontinuation the out-of-the-blue thoughts are far more vivid, colourful, and often deeply disturbing: we may be sitting having tea with someone and normally we would imagine reaching over and kissing that person on the forehead. But in discontinuation we are flashed an image of slashing their face with a butcher knife!! "Holy fffrigg!! Where did that come from? Is that who I have become now? Is that me? What's happening to me?" These thoughts and images are surely influenced by a brain struggling in frantic trial-and-error self-repair; these images are common to discontinuation and thankfully, they fade with time.

Do these frightening thoughts have meaning? Perhaps, but because it can't be readily discovered it's probably best to just accept it and marvel at the show; you can't stop it. Trying to stop it just introduces stress and the show might change to something even more disturbing. You can try to think different thoughts, but that exercise is soon dominated by the inner voice. Meditation seeks to interrupt the voice (what the Buddhists call 'the monkey mind'), and thereby insert spaces- moments of peace within the verbal automaticity. With practice the spaces become longer as you move toward less thinking, and inner peace. In-the-moment focus on something that intrigues you (a project, an important task- even an emergency) has the power to momentarily distract thought and suspend the inner chatter.

But then there's that out-of-the-blue event that interjects to show you that control of thought is impossible; perhaps the best we can do is learn to put longer and longer spaces between the thoughts through meditation.

I'm totally okay with knowing I don't author my thoughts. I am totally okay to acknowledge that I can only witness what comes out of my brain.

#2 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

I won't reply to this right now because it hits too close to home for me but thank you!
It is so relieving to know that I'm not the only one with constant inner chatter.

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Oh, oh, oh, thismoment, except for the face slashing, this is me!!! Brain chatter, self talk, whatever , drives me nuts sometimes. Seems to me that sleep is the only peace I get from the constant chatter!!!!!! :blink:

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hi Clara

The face slashing is an extreme example of out-of-character thoughts we encounter in strong discontinuation. We become what we pay attention to and the self-talk can be pretty negative; it's good to interrupt it from time to time.

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hey, just had to bring this back!

That voice inside your head by TM. One of my favorites.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

thanks, Gail ... perfect timing ... I've been having a resurgence of the voice in my head the past week or so ... that, and the tinnitus ... man, it's getting crowded in here ... :wacko: :blink:

#7 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

FN, tinnitus here also. Voices at times, mine, a chatter box. How tiring.

I intend to bring those good posts from TM at times, they are so helpful.

As they say in french, if the mountain does not come to us, lets go meet the mountain. Bad translation, I know.

Ah! the mountain, initials of thismoment! coincidence?

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

Gail, you are bi-lingual, yes? Is French your first language, the one you use the most?

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

The only time that I speak English is here.

I am bilingual, but the only practice I got is very limited.
So, there is a lack, and at times, translation can sound funny!

I love your language. Music to my ears. Almost no one speaks it here.

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

Wow, I've never heard English, especially "American English" described as "music to my ears"  .... and your command of the language for only speaking it here on the forum, is amazing! :)

#11 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

WOW Gail! I had no idea you spoke french.

Your English is better than mine and it is the only language I know  :D

PS. I miss TM  :(

#12 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

Good to see you post, Renee;) i miss you...and yes, I miss our buddy, TM, everyday!!

Hope you and Benzo are doing well!

Hugs, Sister ((((( )))))

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi Renee! How are you feeling?

We need the latest "Benzo the Wonder Dog" report over in your thread! :)

Cym, how are you feeling? It's going to take you some time to "process" your "bin" experience... at least it did me ... those experiences are living nightmares, and you may feel pretty darn fragile and even frightened for a while ... if you need to talk about it here, go right ahead ... you and I aren't the only ones there who've visited "bins" and "snake farms"  ;)

Is the Prozac seeming to kick in? I gather it's giving you a bit of insomnia, which I believe is relatively common during the "start-up" phase. (Wellbutrin did that to me, as well, for just a couple weeks.) I checked some other online forums where Prozac is discussed and saw a lot of questions/comments about the sleep issue ...

the answers made 2 points: it's typical when starting the med, can take several weeks to fully resolve, and 2) the time of day it's taken can make a big difference.

Are you taking it in the morning? There were folks on the other forums whose docs had told them to take it at night, and they reported big time sleeping problems ... the advice was to call their doc and get the dosing instructions switched to morning.

Also, I can't recall ... do you have anything to take to help you sleep?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users