#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

That is weird TFL.  Magnesium, even in excess, is usually just excreted with no side effects unless in extreme amounts. I am going to look into this some.

#32 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

FH, would you add this info to your magnesium thread over in "Cymbalta in the news" ... or, start a magnesium threat here in this forum? Would be good to have all our magnesium info gathered into one place, and I think this forum is where more folks would see/find it ...

TFL, what dose of the mag. were you taking? Did it have any other "additives"? 

#33 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

FH,

If it is WEIRD it would apply to me!  Seriously, it could just be a coincidence but the anxiety went from EXTREME to nothing...

FN,

Ingredients:  Magnesium Oxide, Cellulose Gel, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Stearic Acid

250mg tab daily  

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

Besides the magnesium oxide the rest are all common fillers. I am not familiar with the Croscarmellose Sodium. It is not in my pills. I am going to take a look at that.

#35 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

The Croscarmellose Sodium helps the pill dissolve completely. The side effects are minimal by ingestion. 

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well knock me over and call me shorty. According to FDA over 4% of those taking magnesium oxide develop anxiety. I looked at chelated magnesium and there were no reported cases of anxiety. I checked out a magnesium forum and according to them it is particularly the physical part of anxiety that shows. Heart pounding, fast pulse, restlessness, etc.

#37 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Thanks, Shorty! :)

4% huh??  Yep, that figures - I'd be there for sure!! :o :(

#38 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Well, TIF, aren't you special to be in the 4%?! What brand were you taking and was it the 'chelated' form? I seem to suddenly be uber sensitive to anything I ingest since stopping the crap! What is that about, right?!!

So glad you solved the spike or source of the increase in your anxiety and hopefully, will continue to the improvement! Anxiety, seemingly from all my reading here, is the beast that defeats and beats down each poor soul when stopping the dope, even those who never suffered from it prior to taking the poison! I have not experienced it, in the sense of years ago that was so debilitating for me, and hope it does not come knocking after 14 weeks!! Depression is my major nemesis and it ain't 'melancholy' either:( i will beat it!!

Be well, friend<3

#39 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Was taking magnesium oxide and am now afraid to start anything new - even the chelated!  I, too, seem to be extra-sensitive to anything these days - was never like this before! :blink:  I certainly did like the effect it had on the fibro and arthritis pain tho.

Yesterday, I had the massage therapy and my therapist said that the one muscle I have so much trouble with in the middle on the left side of my back she could actually see - it was so inflamed!  And good thing I took a Hydrocodone before I went cuz I was really hurting when I left! :( 

Oh my - what to do?? :unsure:

#40 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

I wish I could help TFL. All I can say is stay strong and keep the faith.

#41 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Liz

On the bright side, the inflammation is real, and that can be addressed. Take care.

#42 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

TM

Thanks - I hope so - now Social Security is telling me I have reached my limit in payouts for this service.  Didn't have any problem last year and went every week then too.  Suppose this damn Obamacare has something to do with this too?? :angry:

Nothing would surprise me any more. :unsure:

#43 Amysgarden

Amysgarden

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUS
  • why_joining:
    Kicking the poison out of my life

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Ha.... I think the obamacare people want to weed people like us out of the system altogether, probably hope that we will crawl under a rock somewhere and disappear forever. It's the primary reason why I had to go cold turkey off the crap.

Anyway, as far as magnesium is concerned, have you tried Epsom salt baths? I wonder if that would be a safer way to absorb magnesium for the pain.

#44 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

Good idea, Amy...I bought a 20lb bag of epsom salts and 5lbs of baking soda, yep, more is better thinking, and it does help with the fibro pain. The problem is, even with the baking soda added, I have to take a shower and rinse off or I am itching up a storm! I have looked up the amount of salts to use and the baking powder is supposed to be a natural skin softener, but still come out itchy and shriveled up like a raisin. So far, it is more work with all that soaking and showering, I end up exhausted from the energy spent to ease the pain:( Good Lord, we will try anything for relief, except no more a-d's for this lulubelle!

#45 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Cym and Amy,

Would you believe I haven't taken a bath in over 20 yrs?? :o  Just to set the record straight, I take showers!!  Have never even used the tub in this house! :P

#46 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

hahahaha ... you had me goin' there for a second, TFL! How are you feeling today? Anxiety behaving itself and leaving you alone?

#47 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

FN

Anxiety still around today - yesterday was really bad, so guess it's just a continuation.  Not quite as bad today, and hope tomorrow will be better.  Haven't felt like doing anything the past couple of days.

Thanks for asking!

Hugs,

Liz :hug:

#48 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Tryinginfl. ..shouting out to you...Hope you are feeling better today..

#49 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for checking, Carleeta...

Younger son called yesterday and was nicely telling me how I should go back to the gym and I would feel better - physically and mentally, yada, yada, yada.  I cried when I got off the phone and didn't sleep well last nite.  Woke up at 430 this am and tried to sleep for 2 hrs this afternoon with no luck.  Lots of tears today and feel like I am regressing...    not pleasant :(

Needless to say, I'm very tired and have had much anxiety all day.  Debating whether I should go back to new doc for new med -- don't want to start on something else, tho :(!  Just not sure what to do... :wacko:

Oh, FH - Cubbies playing Cardinals tonite on WGN - should keep me occupied except Bears are on ESPN as well  -  sure glad I have my sports to keep my mind occupied.  Can't seem to do anything else.

Really feeling miserable today... :angry:

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

So sorry to hear about your bad day TFL. I wish I had a major potent for you but I don't.

God Bless

#51 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

You know something you may talk over with your dr is possibly taking Atenolol. It is a beta blocker. It is about half as effective as clonidine and doesn't cause sleepiness. It may lower bp some. They usually start people out at 25 mg twice a day and then go to 50 mg twice a day. Considering your sensitivity I would start out at 25 mg a day at first. 

Just a thought.

#52 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

Aww, TFL, bummer ... being told anyone I love and care about (and want to make happy) that I "should" do something causes me great anxiety ... I have a rule ... it is not possible to live in the "subjunctive tense" ... should, could, would ... that's the unfillable, undoable void between doing, and not doing ... both of which are clear actions and decisions ... should, could, would place us in a nowhere land ... and make us miserable ...

You are doing everything you can do to heal and get better .... you are still recovering from a very difficult trip to the wedding ... and you are still fragile .... be at peace ... you are healing ...

And, the last thing in the freakin' world you need to be doing is going to the gym .... maybe "old farts yoga" with me ... but gym ...  "hell no, we won't go" ... "power to the (post-Cymbalta) people" !!! :P :D

#53 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

FH, TFL also takes alprazolam ... here's an interesting article about the alprazolam / atenolol combination ....

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24361783

#54 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

Very interesting FN. They found the combination "highly effective". Something to think about TFL.

#55 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

FH...

Are you recommending Atenolol for me?  I already take 2 beta blockers - Amlodipine and Benazepril (have for several years)  and my blood pressure is excellent.  Don't know about adding another one...

I don't want to go the route of Zoloft, but have been thinking about it.  I have no life any more. :( 

I guess that trip was a real killer for me...

#56 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

Oh, TIF:( i am so sorry you have hit a wall the last few days...this discontinuation is such a mind f#*k! We try everything short of going back on a-d's to ease the misery and it gets overwhelming, for me anyway. I'm researched out seeking 'something' to ease the misery of my post cymbalta brain. Is it anxiety that has you in its grip or physical pain, maybe the combo?

I just deleted a long post as it was a senseless ramble:( i would do anything to ease your suffering. I could, and would, take it on gladly to give you some comfort as my days are just meaningless with so much confusion and regret. If the Cubbies and Bears take your mind off the anxiety, watch them play and empty out the 'gym' thoughts. Ridiculous, but I'm sure he meant well and just doesn't know what to say, does anybody? I feel guilty which only perpetuates this cycle...if tv takes mind away from the vixious cycling, I feel guilty. If i clean my house or do chores, I feel guilty I could do better...on and on. 'Bildo' is never satisfied and just adds to my angst. I push on toward the goal of being able to 'think' for myself and not feel so driven by someone else's expectation of who 'I used to be!' Who was I?
Uuurrggh...Sorry, I know this is not helpful, but please know I'm there with you in spirit and you are very special to me.

You are loved and you are needed!

Keep your faith strong. It will get better. We must hold on! Love on your 'babies' and watch your sports, domwhatever gives you comfort through this rough patch.

Muuaahh, ((( )))

#57 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

TFL i am sorry to learn that you are having a rough go with the anxiety lately. i can relate. it seems like such a vicious cycle, poor sleep exacerbates anxiety and anxiety makes it hard to sleep!

i know that you like your therapist, hope you get to see her/him again soon. for me that trumps a good med - although i don't mind the help there either. 

#58 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thank you all - my dear friends - for all of your kind words.  I am crying as I type - omg,  will this NEVER end?

I am going to try to at least get myself together today  -  just taking a shower and washing my hair is a real chore.  Other things should be done, but not sure how far I will get... :unsure:   It is horrible thinking that I seem to be in a "relapse" mode.  I pray that things will get better soon.

Thanks again and I am trying to hold it together. :(

#59 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi Liz

Sorry you are having a rough time. (hug)

It's more important than ever to find distractions to keep you from getting lost in self-talk (you can talk yourself into anything). Prayer is great, but pray and walk, pray and get busy at something that feels good to do. Get outside.

Take care.

#60 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

TM

No more 'likes' for me today - Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users