• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anguscole75

Anguscole75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

So, I'm new to this Forum, my name is Angus and would like to start off by saying hello to everyone.so here goes nothing, sorry for the spelling and grammar errors.so about a month ago or so I started taking Cymbalta for panic attacks as well as Ativan I was taking 1mg of Ativan and then cut that dose in half to wean myself off per My Pdoc's suggestion.i was only taking 20mg's of Cymbalta until about a week or so ago when I told my Doc I've had enough and that the side effects of Cymbalta where to much for me, I started a week or so ago by taking beads out of the 20mg's of cymbalta to wean myself off and as of Friday morning I have been off of it, I took it at night because the day time effects where to much for me. So here are my questions, how long should the withdrawal symptoms last and what have you and is muscle weakness one of them as I woke up the morning and feel a weird sensation in my arms and legs I guess you can call it muscle weakness and kind of like an arthritis feeling, I've had lower back pain for 5 years due to a broken spine, so my question is will the muscle weakness go away with a couple days or so since my dose was so low as I'm training for a half marathon which is October 18th and can I still run while I'm going thru these Cymbalta withdrawals,and is there a way I can lessen them.thanks and enjoy your week.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Because you were on such a light dose and for a short time the withdrawal may be short and light. Most of us here have been on 60 mg to 120 mg for years and the withdrawal can be very overwhelming and last up to a year. Given you came off the last of the Cymbalta just 2 days ago and your symptoms (muscle weakness included) are not too heavy then there is hope for you, With this dose and time I just really can't take a good guess but maybe a month or two?

Sorry I can't be more specific.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hi Angus, welcome! And bravo for getting off this stuff!

All the symptoms you're describing are typical for getting off Cymbalta... they vary in time and intensity for each of us. I had every one you mention.

Some factors that seem to impact what withdrawal and it's after effects are like include: age, general physical condition, size of dose, length of time on it, method of withdrawal (cold turkey, dose step-down, or bead counting), what conditions it was prescribed for, whether it was the brand Cymbalta or a generic, what other medical conditions the person has, and what other meds they are taking.

Like FH says, you were on a low dose for a short period of time. That's a big plus. And, it does sound like your symptoms so far have been relatively mild. Another plus.

(Was it the brand or the generic? Do you recall how many beads were in your capsule? And, how many beads did you remove a day?)

And, if you're preparing for a marathon, you're surely in excellent physical condition. That's a huge plus.

I also assume that you're relatively young. Another plus.

You've got a lot of "pluses" going for you, Angus! :)

One thing you may want to consider ... do you have something else on hand to help you with the anxiety, "just in case"? You were on the crapalta and the Ativan to manage anxiety, and anxiety is often one of the things that comes with withdrawal ... whether or not that's why we went on the Cymbalta ... I know you don't want to get hooked on the benzo, but it might be a good idea to keep some on hand.

Glad you found us, please keep posting to let us know how you're doing, and to ask any other questions that you have!

#4 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hi, Angus;) love your name!! I had the 'weird sensation in my arms and legs' too, I couldn't describe it other than my limbs felt foreign kinda like they were foreign objects that had been attached to my torso...achy, tingling, throbbing etc. i found relief with chelated magnesium that was suggested by other members who had experienced similar symptoms. Still taking it and the restless leg syndrome I developed while on the crap is gone now as well! Relief;).

How is your anxiety now, since the reason you were prescribed the Cym and Ativan was to help alleviate the symptoms associated with anxiety disorder? Hopefully, since you were on a low dose for a short period of time (sounds like you're in tune with your body!) and are physically fit, you won't experience the host of other nasty symptoms associated with the higher doses like fishinghat mentioned!

Glad you joined us and ask questions. Tomorrow is day 3 off, let us know how it goes.

Be well and keep moving forward;)

#5 Anguscole75

Anguscole75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for all of the reply's it means so much, it's day three and I feel like I have the flu and every time I get in a car, weather it be myself driving or someone else I get car sick and arrive home and feel the need to vomit, as well I have horrid nightmares, other than that everything is great.I'm one who can go out and run over 10 miles with training but I need to be running with this half marathon getting closer, any recommendations for the constant car sickness when I'm driving or in a car? Thanks and enjoy your day.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Angus, I'm sorry you're getting slammed like this ... you can either try to stick it out a couple more days at this dose to see if the "wave" passes ... or, you can go up a few beads to a level where you don't feel this sick ... that's gotta' be your call, I think, because you're the one who knows your body and how much it can handle ... if it were me, I'd go back up a bit, get stable, and then slowly start bead counting down ...

If you're trying to get off the Cymbalta by/before your marathon, it just may not be possible. Also, feeling the way you do, how can you manage to train for it?

Have you considered postponing the crapalta weaning process until after the marathon? i.e., going back on your full dose, getting stable, training and running the marathon (and winning, of course :P ), and then focusing on this project?

The process of getting of this drug takes time and effort ....It's pretty intense, a marathon in it's own way ... and, I assure you, quite unlike any other marathon you've ever run! :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users