#1 jealbrecht

jealbrecht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • why_joining:
    Trying to get off Cymbalta without taking prisoners!

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

I've heard both!

"way to get off? Bead count."

"No, don't bead count! Some of the beads are fillers. You'll never know what dose you're getting."

I also just read that having a compounding pharmacist compound each dose is the best way.

Any suggestions/thoughts? It's CRAZY that the capsules only come in 20mg, 30mg, and 60mg.

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

if you can get a pharmacist to compound for you - that is defintely the way to go. as for your reduction strategy, thats way over my head... i was a cold turkey - don't do that. if fishinghat is around, he can give ya  some direction - and others as well - hello?

#3 jealbrecht

jealbrecht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

That's what I'm starting to think! I went from 40mg to 30 mg 5 weeks ago. Too fast for me! I'm thinking 10% down for the next one.

Thanks for your reply!

#4 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

JB 

Are you taking the brand or generic?  This makes a difference in how to bead count...

I was a cold turkey "fly by the seat of your pants" - NOT RECOMMENDED!!  Been off 9 months now...  Still have sleep problems and anxiety.

Someone who can tell you about the bead counting will come on soon...

Hang in there!

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hi jealbrecht,

That drop you made was waaaay too much ... it put you into the equivalent of cold turkey withdrawal ... don't make another "drop" like that, and stay where you are until you feel as stable (symptom-free) as you can ...

Finding a compounding pharmacy can be difficult, and I've seen comments from others here and on other forums (for getting off other meds, like wellbutrin), that not all of them are equally good ... so what they produce may not be an accurate dose reduction...

crapalta, unlike many/most of the other meds for depression and anxiety, are capsules filled with beads. The best way to go is to reduce by removing beads... gradually, over an extended time ... ThisMoment and FishingHat are the best ones to explain this... I went cold turkey, and don't feel competent to speak to this.

If they don't turn up here soon, I'll find you a link to another thread or two where they've posted on how to do this, and will add the link here for you.

#6 jealbrecht

jealbrecht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, FH! I think I have a handle now on this bead counting thing.

Is there a chart somewhere? Or a symptom tracker? Looks like I'm in this for the long haul. << sigh >>

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Here are links to a few discussions of bead counting ... they're not the best ones, I've got a couple threads in mind where TM and FH outlined the process in detail ... and, of course, now when I want to find them, I can't ... I'll keep looking ... you can also use the search box in the upper right corner of the home page .. type in the words bead counting, or variations ... you'll get a long list of results, and the key words you searched will be highlighted in yellow in each of the threads....

https://www.cymbalta...thod#entry48253

https://www.cymbalta...ounting +method

https://www.cymbalta...thod#entry49419

https://www.cymbalta...g-beads-weening

#8 jealbrecht

jealbrecht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

FYI everybody, I had a lovely gal just PM me this:

<< I do remember that 9 beads = 1mg and 1 bead = 0.1111111111mg for the name brand

But, to be sure, you can count how many beads are in your 30mg capsule, for example.

If 9 beads is 1mg. Then there should be 270 beads in 30mg.

Anyhow, once you figure out how much one bead is, then you figure out what 5% of your current dose is.

So, for example, if you're on 20mg, 5% is 1mg

So, you want to lose 9 beads in a month. So, you'd remove 1 bead every 3 days or so, listening to your body and holding longer as needed if you start to feel symptoms. ALWAYS listen to your body and remember, withdrawal symptoms are NOT a sign of healing. They are a sign from your body that you're removing more drug than it can account for and it wants you to stop, hold and slow down. So, hold until the withdrawal sx level off when that happens and when they do, you can begin again, adjusting your rate and speed as your body dictates. >>

#9 scaredconfusedtx

scaredconfusedtx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Sounds complicated good luck im just a mess and don't think I could do it. I have to this forum has been a great support group lots of helpful imformation. Love tall
SCTX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users