• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question , has anyone been successful with a new antidepressant after discontinuing Cymbalta ?.
I'm having trouble finding one to work for me .....
Also I need one that works on bad anxiety !...

Regards Wagtail .

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

hello dear Wagtail !!!

In your post on 9/27 you told us that the Lexapro hadn't worked, had seemed to make things worse, so they'd dropped you down to 5 mg. of it .... and that you were taking "5 mgs Valium & 2 sleeping tablets 7.5 mgs to get me through the night" ....

Are you still on the Lexapro at this point, or completely off?

And, really important questions:
What does your doc at the hospital say about this?
What are you being told about the Lexapro, other med suggestions, etc?

Have your docs considered combination drug therapy ... using 2 meds ... not just one?
Do you trust the docs?
Are you doing talk therapy to deal with the childhood abuse issues? Have you told them about this?

I'm going to post this, and go do some research ... I'll be back in a half hour to an hour with whatever I've been able to find as options / alternatives!

xoxo

Edited by FiveNotions, 05 October 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Note: Wagtail, I've edited this post, to remove all those links and article excerpts on meds ... that's way too much information for you to be dealing with now.

I didn't realize that you aren't in the hospital and are now home .... I thought you were in hospital and talking daily with your doctors....

Okay, now that I realize you're home .... your one and only priority for now is to call your new clinical psychologist and get in to see him / her immediately.

We can't advise you on new meds, dear Wagtail ... that's got to be something that you work on with your psychiatrist and clinical psychologist ....

We're here to support you and encourage you every step of the way in doing this ... develop a trusting relationship with your doc and psychologist ... and follow their instructions ...

Hang in there! And keep posting!

Edited by FiveNotions, 06 October 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#4 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

WOW Fivenotions you are a wonder !... It will take me a while to read through all of this information & then re-read it & take it all in .
I've never tried Prozac & I don't think I've tried Zoloft either . I do remember Effexor but don't have access to my medical records , it's something that I'm about to try to recover from my past doctor.
The Cymbalta did work for me but after I gave it up I realized that a lot of my past illnesses could have been unrecognized s/e's .
I gave it up after 10 yrs after selling up & moving to another area & thinking that I didn't need it anymore .
I did gain a lot of unwanted weight whilst taking it & it did make me crave alcohol , I was drinking approx a bottle of wine a night .

I just wanted to get healthy, & after suffering through 8 months of cold turkey withdrawel & discontinuation , the anxiety , panic , fear & depression returned . I tried for 6 weeks to fight it but it just got worse so I needed help desperately .
I booked into a clinic who treat all mental illnesses . First 3 weeks , I was put on Nortryptaline but the side effects were unbearable . I was weaned off over a few days & then had a weekend " washout " where I didn't take anything except for 10 mg 's of Valium 3 x day . I actually felt good that weekend!,

The doctor started me on 5 mg's Lexapro , increasing it over a few days to 15 mg's ( the average dose is 20 mg's) the higher it increased the worse I felt , almost felt suicidal . They also tried me on seraquel & Zyprexa which I reacted badly to .....
He reduced the Lexapro back down to 5 mg's ....with 5 mgs Valium 3 x day & two mild sleeping tablets a night after about 7 days I felt quite good so I was allowed to come home , my anxiety was minimal & my sleeping had improved . ( I thought I had found my answer.)

The first day home I was Ok , but then something triggered me , I have no idea what it was .
It's a long weekend here but I will be phoning my new Clinical psychologist tomorrow for an appointment .
I'm still taking 5 mg's Valium & 5 mg's Lexapro @ 8 am , then 5 mg's Valium @ 2pm , then @ 9 pm I take 5 mg's Valium & 2 sleeping tablets ...Imovane 7.5 mg ( zopiclone ) . The Valium & Imovane will be gradually reduced as I improve.
I am so dissapointed that I felt so well while in hospital & once I got home I relapsed again .
The anxiety is exhausting me & believe me I am trying everything they taught me ....eg mindfulness , breathing teqniques , distraction etc.
Unfortunately the negative thoughts are controlling my brain & I can't stop them . I thought that I had read somewhere that when someone's who has been taking Cymbalta for a very long time & stops cold turkey , that nothing will work anymore ... Please tell me I am dreaming that ?...
It's been since November 2013 since I stopped taking Cymbalta & have been sick almost ever since .
Thanks for your loving support ..
Ps I miss fishinghat so much .
Love Gail .xxx

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

No, Wagtail, that's not correct ... after stopping Cymbalta many other things can work ... I think what you've got in mind is a discussion we had here months ago about whether going back on Cymbalta after many months off could / can work ... and we didn't have a definite answer for that ... seems that for some folks, they're able to go back on it and have results ... but, not so for others ... back again to that "one size doesn't fit all" adage ...

I apologize, I really thought that you'd tried Zoloft and Prozac ... brain fart, sorry ...

Being safe and "cocooned" in hospital versus at home and back in the "same ol' same ol'" ... well, having a bit of a relapse seems really understandable to me ... in hospital, there are no outside world concerns ... it's a lovely respite from life ... back in the world, well .. it's the world ... right where we left off, waiting for us to return and get back into the harness and start pulling the cart again ...

How are you fixed for friends, a support group, group therapy, anything that would offer you a bit of the cocooning you had in the hospital? You need regularly, daily support ....

We've missed you sooooo much!!!!

xoxoxoxo

#6 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi wagtail! Glad to see you back! I miss FH and TM also! One thing that has helped is force myself to get out and about. Walking, going for groceries, church, Bible Study group, Hobby Lobby... anything to be around and communicate with others to whatever drgree I am able at the time. Isolation has been good during the recovery process, but as I improve, I find I need to be around others even if in a limited amount of time and interaction. Hugs and prayers for all on the forum, even those of you I haven't met yet! It's sunny, but chilly here in SC! Hope everyone is enjoying fall! :)

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

Wagtail, BRAVO on getting the new clinical psychologist !!!  That's wonderful !!!

If you look back at that long post I made to you yesterday, with links to articles and med info, you'll see that I've edited it to remove that info.

I did that because now that you're home, you need to work only with your psychiatrist and therapist on the meds question. We can't give you advice, because we'd be getting between you and your docs ... who know all the details about what's being done for you with meds and therapy ...

Did you call the new therapist and get an appointment? That's "job 1" for you right now ...

Also, did you call your psychiatrist to tell him/her how you've felt since you got home?

Let us know!

#8 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wagtail, congratulations on all you have accomplished in the hospital. It appears as though they were able to find meds to help you and keep things at a steady pace. You stated once you were home some anxiety developed. This is ok, because you have a new psychologist to follow up with now that your home. This psychologist will be able to guide you on what to do now that you are home. Yes, definitely get in touch with this person and explain exact what you are experiencing.
You're doing a wonderful job and have a great medical and psychological team....Great job Wagtail!

#9 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

Welcome home, Wagtail!

I was so happy to read that you are now home and working with a great clinical psychologist...  Obviously you like and trust this person so there is only one way to go - UPPP!!! :D

I'm sure that you received the best of care and lots of help in that wonderful, protective environment.  Please really throw yourself into that therapy so that you will continue moving upward.... I'm still holding your hand, dear friend! :)

We are all here and rooting for you!  

All of my love, hugs and prayers, Wagtail,

Liz :hug:

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

Hi Wagtail, just checking in to see how you're feeling ... post to let us know! :hug:

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hey there, we miss you, how are you feeling? :)

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Wagtail,

We are all missing you and looking forward to hearing from you!  Please post when you feel better!

Much love, hugs and prayers,

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

You're in my daily prayers, Wagtail! :hug:

#14 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Wagtail, we're all rooting for you!! :)

Love, hugs and prayers,

#15 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

Wagtail,

We all miss you so much!!  Please let us know how you are feeling - you have been off the poison for a year now, haven't you??

We are all rooting for you and love you!! :hug:

Liz

#16 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone ,
Once again after four weeks in hospital / clinic ! I have returned home & once again the anxiety has come home with me.

In hospital I felt safe & cocooned & my mind was kept busy with different courses to help me understand depression , anxiety & panic disorder . They can give you coping teqniques that seem to work until you return home .
I arrived home on Friday & the anxiety came back yesterday Sunday even though I take Valium 5 mg three times a day .

My daughter is taking me to my apt with my new pychologist today @ 1pm . I hope she can help me .
I have tried everything they taught me , breathing , mindfulness etc.

At this moment I am on Valium , 5 mgs Lexapro & 50 mgs Nortriptaline , it seemed to be starting to work in hospital but now I feel bad again.

I don't know if this is because of the discontinuation from Cymbalta & is permanent , I pray to God it isn't !!! :(((((

#17 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Oh Wagtail,

How wonderful to hear from you!  We have missed you so much!!

I hope that your psychologist will be able to help you with some "at home" ideas for that miserable anxiety...

You remain in my prayers, dear one, and I wish only the best for you :)

Be well

Love and hugs,

#18 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

Yay, great tot hear from you, wagtail! /continuing to pray for complete healing for you as well as the rest of us on the forum!

#19 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

You're in my prayers Wagtail. I'm also struggling with anxiety and depression. xxx

#20 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

Well here I am again , home just one week after another stay in the clinic .....

I seem to have stabalised on a cocktail of 60 mgs Nortriptaline which will be increasing to 70 mgs tomorrow night.
7 1/2 mgs diazapam @ 8am & 2pm then again 5 mgs @ 9pm.
7 1/2 mgs Imovane ( sleeping tablet )
5 mgs Lexapro with my 8am Diazapam .
The Diazapam will be reduced gradually as I improve from my anxiety / panic / depression .

What I need to know is ....... I need advice on how to start reducing the Imovane ( sleeping tablet ) .
I don't want to repeat my mistake of going cold turkey from Cymbalta . I want to do it with minimal s/e's .

Last night I broke my 7.5 mg tablet in half & I didn't notice any significant s/e ..... What would be my next move ?.

I can't believe that because of Cymbalta I have lost a Whole year of my life .... And spent 3 /4 months of this year in hospital .

The positive thing I guess is that my PYSCHIATRSIT didn't believe my story when I was first admitted to hospital , but now 4 months later & trying many different drugs he has to admit that my brain chemistry has changed .
The type of drugs that worked for me 10 yrs ago won't work now ..... & I have become very sensitive to any drug !.

I am home now & seeing my PYSCHIATRSIT once a week & my clinical pychologist once a week .

My PYSCHIATRSIT has gone on a 2 week holiday , hence the reason I am asking for advice on withdrawing from the Imovane .

It's so sad coming on here now & all the old familiar names are no longer with us ..... They all helped save me but are not here to see me become better ..... Love Wagtail x

#21 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:28 AM

Wag Im still on board :mellow:  Great hearing from you .. I am of no help with decision making related to your medications--however I will suggest you make no changes to anything till your Dr returns.   We are finally getting much needed rain in calif and have our Thanksgiving Holiday this Thurs .  The forum has been quiet lately Wag but I will bet a few of the 'oldies ' will find you.  May blessings and wellness continue for you :mellow:

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

Wagtail,

I was so happy to see your post!  I must agree w/Zapp - I think you should wait until your dr. returns regarding any changes to your med!

It appears that what you are now taking is making you feel better - I hope I'm right!  You are so fortunate to have such a loving, supportive family.  They are invaluable to your healing process :)

FN has taken on an 8 week job where she can work from home so is not on the forum much right now - she does drop in occasionally and you will hear from her! She is almost half way through it now.

Please try not to worry and I'm so happy that you seem to have a couple (Psyche/Psychologist) who are helping you.

I intend to stay on the forum - it has been over 11 months for me now that I have been off that crap and I agree with you - it seems as if I have lost a year of my life working on this.  :angry:  Things have improved greatly over the past couple of months, but there were times when I wasn't sure I'd make it! :unsure:

You appear to finally be on the road to recovery with some meds that are really helping you.  YAAAAY for you!!! :D

Please post often to let us know how you are doing - we love you and have missed you!!

Hugs and prayers,

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hi Wagtail, I'm here ... back at least a little bit from time to time ... I miss this place, and all my dear friends, far too much to be able to stay away ... and, just being away as much as I have been, and for so long, hasn't been good for my own health/recovery ...

Now, enuf about me ... now for you .... here's my strong feeling about what you're asking ... do not, I repeat, do NOT ... make a single change, ever how tiny, in any of your medications, or in anything that you have been told to do, by any of your doctors ... UNLESS you have FIRST talked to them about the change ... and have been told whether or not to make the change, and told exactly how to do it ...

Yep, that was me shouting (a wee bit) at you ... you've barely gotten home, you don't know for sure if you've settled into being stable yet, and you cannot afford to "adjust" or "tweak" your medication in any way ...

Not one of us here, no matter how much we love you and want to help you .... not one of us ... is competent to give you any advice on your medications or dosages ... you just described in your post how your doc took so long to come to an understanding of the fact that your brain and processes have changed ... DO NOT tamper with the work, time, effort he has put / is putting into trying to help you heal ...

We here can ... and will ... give you every single bit of support, love and encouragement that's in our power and ability to give ... but we can't give you medication advice. Remember now, Fishinghat and TM told you the same thing months ago ...

Just stick with us, and keep posting ... we have missed you so much ... worried about you so much ... prayed for you so much (and are praying for you) ... we're here for you, but we don't know enuf about the medical side of things to tell you what to do .... we used up all of our "repertoire" ages ago ... and you, dear Wagtail, are too precious to us to risk telling you something that runs contrary to what your doctors are working on to help you ...

xoxox :hug:

#24 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi wagtail! Great to hear from you! I'm still hanging around here too! I'm not much help in the medical advice department, but I'm here with loving support, prayers, and sending positive thoughts to you in the land down under! God bless you dear friend with all you need to continue to improve! :)

#25 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

FN >Waves to yah and agree with advice to Wag also Trying kind of you to keep the forum going..   Again I smile and wonder where our Filmaker went--he replied to none of my private messages and lied about having a Cymbalta support group on Facebook

#26 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hey Zapp,

I had a weird feeling about that guy- even the first post just didn't hit me right...

I choose to ignore him - too much like other crap we've had appear here from time to time!

Love and hugs,

#27 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hey Zapp,

I had a weird feeling about that guy- even the first post just didn't hit me right...

I choose to ignore him - too much like other crap we've had appear here from time to time!

Love and hugs,

i sent an email to him through his website this morning. i'll be watching for his response and will report back!

#28 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

Really Brz :mellow: one thing that bugs me about these type of posters is if they screen our posts to create ' A hidden Agenda'  but we have no way of ever knowing.What if his a Big Wig ELI Lilly Lawyer -lol

#29 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

Really Brz :mellow: one thing that bugs me about these type of posters is if they screen our posts to create ' A hidden Agenda'  but we have no way of ever knowing.What if his a Big Wig ELI Lilly Lawyer -lol

i thought of that as well, but he provided links to his websites, i checked them out and he's legit. at least as far as being a video/film producer. it appears he mostly does corporate/institutional work but also does weddings and commercials. has he been hired by eli lilly? maybe, but given he came here purportedly as part of his research for an anti-cymbalta film, it wouldn't look good for him and his company and would call into question any "evidence" obtained here for use against those involved in a class action. just my thoughts. 

there's always the possibility that someone is claiming to be him, hijacking the reputation of a legit person - but i doubt it. as for his "alleged" Facebook page, i would guess there are a number of ways to search for such a site depending on the name of it (did he say?) i am not a face booker, no account, so i don't know anything about how it works. i hear Facebook takes sites down all the time that they don't agree with. maybe eli lilly got to them? maybe they got to him?

i suspect that he's just not on the same "timeline" that we are. maybe not the most responsive guy, but then, he said he is in withdrawal. i think we all know what that's like.  

all that being said, for those in a class action suit against eli lilly i suggest not giving any personal info to him without talking to your attorney first - you must be real careful about anything you say "on the record"

#30 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

That is correct, Brzghoff .... any of us who are involved in any kind of legal action ... be it Cymbalta or other drug related, or any other issue for that matter, should NOT discuss our issues with anyone without first checking with our respective lawyers/law firms ...

Thanks for catching that, Brz ... I'm going to post this same note over in his thread ...

I also am willing to cut him an awful lot of slack .... if he's in withdrawal, and dealing with the other issues he has going on, based on the info he shared with us, he's in no shape to be taking on a project like this at the current time .... he may have had this idea during one of those "I feel great" windows we all are familiar with ... those being the windows that have a tendency to slam down on our heads just as we start thinking "yay, I'm done with withdrawal" ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users