God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

May the Wrath and Justice of God (or Zeus, or Wonder Woman, someone anyone) Descend on Big Pharma and all who purvey their poisons!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Get a load of the chart in this article ! [Emphasis added !!]

The Rise of All-Purpose Antidepressants
Doctors are increasingly prescribing SSRIs to treat more than just depression
Scientific American, 10/142-14
http://www.scientifi...ntidepressants/

FTA: ". . . Adults in the U.S. consumed four times more antidepressants in the late 2000s than they did in the early 1990s. As the third most frequently taken medication in the U.S., researchers estimate that 8 to 10 percent of the population is taking an antidepressant. But this spike does not necessarily signify a depression epidemic. Through the early 2000s pharmaceutical companies were aggressively testing selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), the dominant class of depression drug, for a variety of disorders. . ."

"One motivating factor is that SSRIs are a fairly safe option for altering brain chemistry."

:angry: :angry:

#2 houseofmiro

houseofmiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

And in no way are these pharma-corps making absurd amounts of currency by 'helping' people alter their brain chemistry. I'm still waiting on a med to be released to deal with the discontinuation symptoms, I'm surprised they haven't tapped that market share yet.  

Thank you so much for sharing that article FN, after today's doc appt where the doc tried to shove several new chems on me, it has strengthened my resolve more than ever.

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

house, i agree. i guess i missed your post, what what is the doc trying to push on you now? if docs think that the value they add to our healthcare is the ability to write a'scrip, that's pretty sad. it shouts LAZY to me. they used to treat the whole body, now its just whatever makes a symptom go away. get a side effect?no prob, take this for that. and on and on. 

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Miro, there's zero benefit to them to develop a med to help us get off ... once we used up the Rx and got off, they lose a customer. You're thinking like someone who has our best interests in mind .... not like one of them ... ;)

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Miro, there's zero benefit to them to develop a med to help us get off ... once we used up the Rx and got off, they lose a customer. You're thinking like someone who has our best interests in mind .... not like one of them ... ;)

ya know, if a company got into the biz just to develop meds for those weaning off, there is definitely a market for it! the nutraceutical industry is certainly trying to capitalize on it! 

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Oh but they have other drugs to deal with the discontinuation syndrome - that is more SSRI drugs with longer half lives and they are hoping that you will then believe that this other SSRI is okay to take so that you will stay on it and they still make some money on you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users