#1 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

My anxiety is so bad I feel like screaming. It's so hard to know if this is from the withdrawal or my original condition. Since I was feeling so much better a couple weeks ago I tend to think that a lot of it is from the withdrawal. I'm not even sure why I'm writing, but I need help. Yesterday I spoke to my doctor and she mentioned going in the hospital. Years ago I was in the hospital and it didn't help me at all. I asked her if there's something stronger they could give me in the hospital that would help. She said no, that I would be going to group therapy and activities. That's the last thing I want to do, I'm so dizzy I just want to lay down. Feeling hopeless. :(

#2 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

My anxiety is so bad I feel like screaming. It's so hard to know if this is from the withdrawal or my original condition. Since I was feeling so much better a couple weeks ago I tend to think that a lot of it is from the withdrawal. I'm not even sure why I'm writing, but I need help. Yesterday I spoke to my doctor and she mentioned going in the hospital. Years ago I was in the hospital and it didn't help me at all. I asked her if there's something stronger they could give me in the hospital that would help. She said no, that I would be going to group therapy and activities. That's the last thing I want to do, I'm so dizzy I just want to lay down. Feeling hopeless. :(

i am sorry the anxiety has cranked out again. i am truly sorry to learn this. withdrawal can trigger the anxiety, but to get past it, the treatment is the same. if you don't want to do group therapy in the hospital, what about one on one with a therapist? i wouldn't like group either. drugs alone cannot treat anxiety which is why you were told there are no "stronger" drugs. therapy is an essential component. the work is hard, i know first hand, but it really is important to your recovery. i know that you have had a lot happen to you in your past and it is important to get that one on one help.  there is no immediate relief from anxiety. it takes time. if we don't change our thinking and outlook, we can't recover. YOU CAN DO IT! personally, i would not be progressing in my recovery without it. no doubt i would have gone down hill. i wish you all the best. please keep us posted. 

we are all rooting for you Kathy!

with care,

Brz

#3 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:
    Trying to cope with withdrawal/discontinuation. Have depression and anxiety since my teens.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for replying Brz. Just the thought of going in the hospital makes me panic. It wasn't a pleasant experience when I went in years ago. I know what it's like and I just can't do it. I agree that therapy, one on one may be helpful, but what can a therapist say to help ease the anxiety?  No, medication can't cure anxiety, it's sort of like a Band-Aid. I'm feeling so angry that the Cymbalta is probably the main cause of how I'm feeling now. I'm glad to hear that you're progressing, I really thought that I was too.

Hugs,

Kathy

#4 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

a therapist can do A LOT! its not as simple as you telling them your problems and then they give you a solution. they don't need to know all your background. in a nutshell - they TEACH you how to help yourself. they can work with you to develop many skills to challenge how you think, such as reconsidering the concept that "nothing works." it is an ongoing process. you have to make the committment for the long haul. its worth the investment jsut don't expect a quick result. if your doctor says there are no other medications. believe him/her. if there was they'd prescribe it for you. 

#5 kathyms3150

kathyms3150

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hi brz, I was just thinking of something. On Friday I called my doctor and she told me to stop the 150 mgs of Wellbutrin I have been on for several years. She told me that it's okay to just stop it, so I did. It seems that the anxiety has gotten worse. I'm wondering if stopping it, especially suddenly could have increased the anxiety.

#6 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

see my response under your "stopping wellbutrin" topic. also see my posts in the "cymbalta in the news" section under the topic "help yourself to reduce frustration and anxiety"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users