4 replies to this topic

#1 iowahawkigirl

iowahawkigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hi,

I was prescribed Cymbalta (20mg) to help with my chronic daily migraines. I was on it for 5 days when I had a bad reaction: my arms and legs felt like someone was squeezing them; they felt weak but also heavy; I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin; and I often had a squeezing feeling in my throat. I also had terrible nausea, pains in my upper chest and shoulder that almost felt like bad gas, I had a rash on my left arm, and I kept feeling hot and cold even though my temperature was normal.

I stopped the medicine immediately. I've been off of it a week, but I'm still having the weak feeling in my arms and the weird pressure/gas feeling in my chest and shoulders. Today the right side of my ribs also is sore and feels like someone has their fingers under the rib cage.

Is this typical? When do the side effects end? I never had any of these symptoms until I started Cymbalta. Thanks!

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Iowa, hello and wellcome,

Five days on the twenty, and such side effects. No wonder you stopped.

I would say it is a matter of days and all will be over.

Allergic reaction to the product or sounds like, costochondritus, spelling may be wrong here, I have this on and off.

Inflammation of the rib cage. Anti inflammation may be needed. I don't think that this is because of cymbalta. It can also go away by itself.

I would not worry. But sure am glad you stopped. Must be something else for migraines, which I am not familiar with.

Others will chime in, stay tuned, and keep in mind that 20mg for five days is not enough for your brain to go haywire.

You will be OK, matter of days, not months like the rest if us.

Again, so happy you stopped it!

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Welcome Iowa!!

So happy that you posted - and that you stopped taking this poison so quickly.  You are obviously very sensitive to it and (thankfully!) it is not for you. 

There are others here who have migraines and hopefully will hop on here to welcome you and give you some assistance.  I'm sorry I am unable to help you with that.  You should be rid of those symptoms very soon - this drug has a very short half life and you weren't on it long enough for it to build up in your system.

Hang on - it will soon be over! :)

#4 iowahawkigirl

iowahawkigirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thank you both so much! I talked to my neurologist again and she thought maybe the severe nausea from the Cymbalta had messed up my stomach (e.g., beginning of an ulcer), which may be causing the gas-like feelings. So I'm trying prevacid for a bit to see if it helps clear it up too. I'm definitely glad I got over it. Today the weak feeling in my arms isn't as bad as it has been, so hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

Thanks for the encouragement and support!

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

hi there!

glad to know things are getting better. i suspect your withdrawal will be very minimal given the short time you were on such a low dose. hopefully you and your doctor can come up with something other than a psychoactive drug. i know SNRIs such as cymbalta are used for pain relief, and in many cases work for what they are prescribed. however, the side effects most often outweight the benefits. addditionally, those benefits can diminish over time - yet the side effects remain or get worse. 

i do hope you find somehting that works for your migraines. i've never had one but i am told by those who have them how debilitating they can be and relief can be hard to come by. 

all the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users