8 replies to this topic

#1 H0106

H0106

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

I just recently started taking Cymbalta 20 MG for a total of 6 days now for anxiety.  I HATE IT!!!!  Headaches, UTI, General Ill feeling, feeling more anxious than before.  Next Wednesday I am going to see my son graduate from the Air Force BMT in Texas and I am deathly afraid to stop taking it now before I go.  Should I wait to stop taking it until I return? I would totally be devastated if I missed his graduation because I am going through with drawl. 

Will it be easier for me to with drawl since I haven't been on very long?  PLEASE HELP, I have anxiety over this STUPID, AWFUL Drug!!!  My doctor forced this drug upon me and I will never do this again.

#2 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

H0106,

Welcome!  You have found a wonderful safe place with caring, supportive and knowledgeable people!

Since you have only been on this poison for 6 days, I don't feel that your withdrawal would be much worse than what you seem to be feeling now!  Try going off for about 3 days and see how you feel...if it is tolerable, you can probably continue with the cold turkey approach.  Should it become unbearable, go right back on your original dosage - it should take a couple of days or so before you are right back where you started -  I guess the question is, which is worse?

Please let us know what you decide and how you are doing - don't bother to talk to your Dr. about it - he/she will have no useful information for you - trust me!

I wish you the best and hope that you are soon feeling better -- this drug has a very short half life and should be out of your system in less than a week.

Please keep us posted!

Liz

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:00 PM

welcome to the forum - why did your doc make you take it? Even though you have only been on it 6 days i would wait til after grad day to taper- there are others on the forum who can direct you better than i on the best taper sched - i doubt it will take long

update: i see that others have a different recommendation. i defer to their advice. they know more than i when it comes to short term exposure

Edited by brzghoff, 05 November 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

H01, I have a different opinion here.

Stop right away. Six days on twenty, not enough time to f***k your brain. You may have a few days feeling funny, but I doubt it.

You will be OK for graduation next wednesday. Even before that.
Use a benzo to help with the anxiety if you must.

Let us know how goes, I am not worried at all, all will be fine!

#5 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

At 20 mg and only 6 days get off it.  You will be fine --

#6 H0106

H0106

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thank you all for the advice, I also have clonazepam to help with the anxiety.  My head feels like it is going to explode everyday!  I hate this stuff and knew better than to take it.  I do not do well with medications, I've tried Lorazepam and the only thing that doesn't bother me is the clonazepam.

@ Brzghoff, I've been suffering from panic attacks for the past two years, Would occasionally take clonazepam.  I was fine for the past 6 months; then when my son enrolled in the Air Force, I pretty much went down hill from there.  My panic turned into full blown anxiety 24/7 my doctor thought it was best that I took something everyday to control the anxiety.

#7 Blackbird

Blackbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

I was on clonazepam along with the Cymbalta for a year and a half.  I believe the combination is what did me in.  Went off Cymbalta in April, and still have nervous system issues.  If I take even 1 klonopin now, I can't talk.  So, I'm with Liz.  Now is a good time to get off.

#8 joecinsf

joecinsf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA
  • why_joining:
    I can't stop Cymbalta alone! Joining here for help, information and support.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

Blackbird.... If clonazepam is not the choice for anxiety, what do you suggest? I am in the process of tapering off Cymbalta. I took 120mg for two years. I have been tapering 10mg per month. Recently, I started Prozac, 20mg, to help with withdrawals. That is not helping a bit. I have severe anxiety everyday. At this time, I am at 100mg and tapering to 90mg this week. The first two 10mg drops were not easy and I have been taking Alprazolam (Xanax) to claim down. I need at least to have 2mg every 6-8 hours. It helps but it really never goes away, does it?

I welcome your comments! Thanks

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

Joe, I know that your question was meant to Blackbird.

Usually when you are on a benzo more than 6 months, it stops working.
I don't know if this is your case. When this happens, the protocole is to change for another benzo.

This happened to me after about one year on ativan. Switched to Valium, a much longer half life, and I am tapering at this moment.

When anxiety go out of control, and it did, I used benadryl or gravol,
I am not sure if you have gravol in the US. It sure did the job, for a day. A moment of reprieve.

Many members got relief with clonidine, spelling may be wrong here.
It is used to lower blood pressure and works on anxiety.

Also hydroxizine, again wrong spelling, which is an antihistamine by prescription, both.

Tried both. Benadryl worked better for me.

Can't speak for Prozac, and before it kicks in, can take six weeks.

I am sorry if you all know this, but it had to be said. Just in case.

You can look up posts from Fishinghat, he was the expert in this matter. He took a break from the forum last month, look it up in the archives or use the search and tap in Anxiety. You will find a lot!

Best wishes, Gail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users