#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:36 AM

Well I have been back 24 hours and I thought it was time to earn my keep.

As most of you are aware I monitor the medical abstracting website NCBI for all new research that has come out that might apply to us on this forum. During my absence I only came across one article that I thought was of particular interest. It dealt with the cause and treatment of panic attacks, something that affects all of us with anxiety as well as most who go through the Cymbalta withdrawal.

It has been well shown over the years that during periods of high stress the body discharges large amounts of calcium and magnesium. Both of these elements are critical in controlling muscle contractions. Magnesium supplements have been prescribed by drs for years to help with heartpounding, skip beats, irregular heart beats, muscle spasms and chest pain and pressure associated with anxiety. 

Calcium works within the mucle cells to control muscle contractions. During contractions as well as stress calcium is discharged from the cells through small openings in the cell membranes called 'calcium channels'.

Magnesium is located outside these cells and slowly forces the calcium back into the cells for reuse. This allows our muscles to recover and be used again. It has recently been discovered that calcium loss also occurs in brain tissue like the Amygdala and Hippocampus which are the centers in the brain involved with fear, panic and anxiety.

Enough background. The last year or so drs have been experimenting with drugs that 'block' these calcium channels and limit the loss of calcium from the muscles. Tests of these 'calcium channel blockers' have had limited success in treating anxiety however,

Now to the good news. There are significant numbers of people on blogs/forums reporting success using calcium supplements to help stem the severity of panic attacks. I would remind you that these are not medicals studies only experiences of others like us. Most use a dose of 200 to 300 mg at the first sign of significant panic. As it is nearly impossible to take too much calcium this should be a safe process HOWEVER I have always suggested caution with the taking of all new supplements or medications. I would suggest starting at 50 mg and if no side effects then work your way up to 300 with each new panic episode. I will be trying this method as well. It would certainly be nice to have another tool in our war against anxiety and withdrawal.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

There is more;

A recent article indicated that zinc levels in the body dropped during panic attacks as well.

Comparative analysis of serum manganese, zinc, calcium, copper and magnesium level in panic disorder patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19582379

Researchers are now studying if zinc can also be used to minimize panic attacks/anxiety. It will take time for results to be forth coming but I will let you know how it comes out.

#3 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

thanks so much for not only giving a heads up, but in your ability to extract the important stuff and present it to us here in layman's terms. it sounds as though the calcium acts rather quickly if the suggestion is to take at the first sign of a panic attack. is a daily calcium supplement suggested as a possible means to help keep anxiety in check as well? i am taking a liquid calcium/mag/vitamin d3 supplement at this time - however, haven't noticed ho it may have positively impacted me regarding anxiety. its been bad this past week - situational, lots of stressful events right now in my life. using the CBT skills and take clonidine

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

I don't know why a low dose taken daily wouldn't help. I sure would like to see some of the research drs spend some time on this subject.

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

I take Caltrate D daily (2 soft chews).  Each one contains 600 mg Calcium and 800 mg Vitamin D.   This was recommended by a PA about a year ago.

Can't say it is helping anything, but it sure can't hurt! ;) 

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Many drs recommend calcium citrate with Vit D for women who are post menopause. Women in that age group often have low calcium levels which can lead to osteoporosis.

I have been thinking about brzghoff's comment about daily calcium supplements. Calcium can be processed by the body in as little as two hours after absorption. Caltrate with vit D3 is designed to be absorbed slowly and provide a steady boost to serum calcium levels. Liquid calcium supplements come in many forms and I can't really shed any light on its impact. I would suspect that a one time dose of 300 mg , if absorbed rapidly, might be more effective. The problem is that I bet all the calcium citrate sold as supplements are meant for post menopause and will dissolve slowly. I will look into this more and see what I can find.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

The government (National Institute of Health, NIH) has an excellent summary of data on calcium absorption.

http://ods.od.nih.go...rofessional/#h4

The bottom line is that only about 30% of the calcium in a supplement is absorbed no matter what form it is in. Secondly, as the amount of calcium intake increases the amount actually absorbed in the body decreases. Taking a calcium supplement will increase calcium levels in the body but only a little because of this. This leads me to believe that if calcium truly helps with panic attacks it would need to be a large dose with fast absorption.

More to follow.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

A review of the medical research just reflects what was in the NIH article referenced above. As far as I can determine there has been no studies in the uptake of calcium in the brain or the use of calcium supplements to treat panic episodes. Bummer.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

You only mentioned the magnesium briefly, FH ... but it occurred to me that it might be worth also mentioning here that post you made several months ago .... that it can interact/interfere with other meds, and can cause anxiety in some people ...

in fact, not sure if you were here when she posted this, but TFL discovered that she's one of the "lucky" tiny percentage (2%? 4%?) of people to whom it causes anxiety ... she discontinued as soon as she read that list you posted, and almost immediately reported an improvement in (lessening of) the anxiety ...

Here's the link to you post, in which is the link to the mag. info ...

http://www.pbslearni...resource/49466/

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

Good idea FN. Your timing is great.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

I've been prescribed a particular type of calcium by my doc ... cuz I've got "osteopenia" ... can't even remember what the specifics of it are ... so, I'll follow up on that with my pharmacy tomorrow ... and will definitely get back to taking it ... also want to check what I'm supposed to take against what you've just explained, FH ...

dang, sure is good to have you back!!

#12 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

Can anyone shed light on Buspbar (sp)   No way no how My Dr's will allow me to take Clonidine or Hydroxine.   Clondine( unless you have a high B/P) will indefinitely de-regulate your B/P and increase heart rate to compensate if you drop to low B/P .      Hydroxine is too sedating and unsafe to drive.  This is just an update from my internist and gastroenterologist .

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

Buspar is a weak drug that helps control seratonin.

Clonidine can cause hypotension but the FDA reports that only occurs in about 5% of those who take it.  He is definitely correct about the effects of hydroxyzine. Management of dose is the key to using that drug. It can also cause a decrease in BP as well. I was one of the lucky ones who can take it at a reasonably large dose without these effects. Anyone taking this med should start at a small dose and work their way up. Geesh, what am I saying. They should start slow with any new meds. Duhh!

FN - At this point I am not really recommending anything. The form of calcium does not matter as all are absorbed at around 30% in the stomach. Because it is easily excreted from the body it would only have a small effect our system. Although it has been well shown that low calcium contributes to panic attacks I am not sure taking a calcium supplement would have much impact (like the experiences with TryingFl and brzghoff). Maybe that is why all the drs are trying calcium channel blockers instead of replacing the lost calcium. Anyway at this point I am not sure taking a calcium supplement would do any good (as far as panic attacks).

#14 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

Thanks FH .  I have not read any posts here on Buspar as I am perscribed it for a return of gastric reflux whick my dr's think it stress related

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

It makes sense. Although seratonin is found in the brain and contributes to many of the psych issues that many of us suffer from, it is most common in our digestive tract where it regulates rate of digestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users